• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

So why did they add another preset?

They didn't. I am an idiot who reads too quickly. Check out my post above.
"The optical differences between the preview version and our review version approximates, at the least, a new additional detail level, the equivalent of moving from "very high" to "ultra"." MY BAD.

AKA, the new ultra is a step above the old ultra. Not that a new preset showed up.

Majukun

Thread is going fast... Anyone can tell me what's the best I can get out of a 970 with 8gb of ram and a i5 4670?high with frameworks at 1080p?less than that?

Durante

Many features simply didn't work consistently in the old preview version, such as max draw distance, foliage visibility, HBAO+ etc, which threw any benchmarking results off. The review version had those rectified and made it more demanding. The 290X benchmark was done on the preview build. Has nothing to do with optimization.
Well, a lot of people call removing features "optimization" :p

So we could possibly save a lot of framerate by simply turning down those options?
Probably.

Like in every decently scalable game.

But some people equate not "maxing" the settings with losing their manhood. Or womanhood. Or whatever.

Those benches point towards pretty poor performance. I can play GTAV at 1440p with everything set to high and get around 40-45fps on my 970. This game doesn't look that much better of better at all and it seems the perf is much worse.

Static Jak

Like any other game, yes. But that also means you are getting closer to console equivalent settings.
Yeah I'm just trying to get a decent idea of what hits framerate hardest beside the gamework settings.
Anyone have screenshots of the whole graphic settings menu?

My wife wants to play this on her PC. I'm a lazy couch console gamer so I don't follow the PC scene much anymore since I gave her my old PC. It's a i7 2600 with a 2 GB 7850, 8 GB RAM. What should I expect to set this at? She is not big on 60 FPS so that's not a must.

I think those benches have in game AA turned on. Assuming its 4x that may explain the lowered performance.

I hope anyway, my 780 and 1440p monitor can't take that frame rate.

Kiant

I like everything apart from Geralts hair. Just looks unnatural to me for some reason.

Anyway, going by those benchmarks, I won't be using it most of those settings.

Kinda reminds me of the hair in AC:U. Each time the camera swapped you would see the hair re-adjust.

They didn't. I am an idiot who reads too quickly. Check out my post above.

AKA, the new ultra is a step above the old ultra. Not that a new preset showed up.

Ah no worries.

Klossen

Banned
But some people equate not "maxing" the settings with losing their manhood. Or womanhood. Or whatever.
Max is such a weird phrase. It doesn't even imply best looking. There are numerous effects activated during max in numerous games, such as motion blur and depth of field, that only makes the game uglier, while killing frames in the process.

It's also frustrating how benchmarks are often done in max or ultra and then they leave it at that. It's pretty ridiculous as most people won't even be playing in those settings. low-mid-high benchmarks are of equal, if not greater importance.

iFirez

Do we know if/when the day one patch is live on GOG Galaxy yet? Or is it going to be one of those things we have to download at midnight? Do we have any idea on size of the download either for this patch?

Static Jak

Max is such a weird phrase. It doesn't even imply best looking. There are numerous effects activated during max in numerous games, such as motion blur and depth of field, that only makes the game uglier, while killing frames in the process.

It's also frustrating how benchmarks are often done in max or ultra and then they leave it at that. It's pretty ridiculous as most people won't even be playing in those settings. low-mid-high benchmarks are of equal, if not greater importance.

Yeah I always turn off DoF and Motion Blur. Had to turn off Bloom in Witcher 2 as well because it looked awful.

It wouldn't surprise if they turned all the sliders to the max because of all the downgrade talk, opposite Dying Light LOD situation, I'm sure dropping to high or even just turning down the more demanding settings the game will perform a lot better, didn't PCGH said it was running fine on ultra on a 770 before?

Static Jak

I'd like to see if there is a frame limiter option. It'd be nice to have the option instead of having to go through Nvidia settings each time.

Kaze2212

I think those benches have in game AA turned on. Assuming its 4x that may explain the lowered performance.

I hope anyway, my 780 and 1440p monitor can't take that frame rate.

Good call. The previous version only had an AA on - off toggle. And it was only believed to be FXAA. But what the newest version actually uses we don't know I believe.

Derp

kONibAa.jpg
Jesus christ. According to this graph I will be around 45fps with my card. Well that pretty much gives me no reason to NOT cap the game at 30. Which gives me more reason to shoot for a higher resolution... Seems i really will end up with 1440p 30fps with Gameworks on a 780 Ti after all... Yum yum.

Grechy34

How do you think the game will run on these specs at 1080P? Hoping for medium settings?

8GB
680 2GB

Mix of medium to high with HBAO and some of the fancier settings turned down you'll get 30FPS on high I reckon. Wild prediction though. Those specs are still decent.

Hair looks nice. Didn't know they had cloth physics and destructuon in so that's a treat.
Gonna spend tonight tweaking the config files, I need a good LOD.

UnrealEck

How do you think the game will run on these specs at 1080P? Hoping for medium settings?

8GB
680 2GB

Since I don't have the game yet, I can't be sure. But I don't believe the game will ultimately perform as poorly as the benchmarks linked to in this thread suggest. At least not with Gameworks features disabled.
Probably looking at 50-60 FPS on the preset below ultra. Unless of course they're changing the ultra preset to make it more graphically sparkling.

So that guide on nVidia's site just bullshit then? 970 = Ultra 1080p60 etc

Hard to say without benchmarks of the same build and drivers they used.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Damn, some people really can't stand the idea of decreasing some settings.

"playing at console peasant settings?! NEVER!!"

£1000 on a gaming PC last month and I'll probably get 42fps. Feel like breaking this thing apart and sending the parts back where they came from :(

Durante

£1000 on a gaming PC last month and I'll probably get 42fps. Feel like breaking this thing apart and sending the parts back where they came from :(
Or you can put the game at console settings and get 3 times the console framerate.
Or put it at maximum settings at higher resolution and get the same framerate.

But no, it would be much better if they kept out the real maximum settings so that everyone can get that maxxxxed 60 FPS.

HBAO is the killer though. Turn that off and you've automatically scored 10-15 frames.
What? No, the chart on this very page shows that its performance hit is very small. Considering how much better HBAO+ is than the default that's one of the last things I'd turn off.

Iceternal

Since my 780ti won't be able to max it at 60 fps (without hairworks of course) ..

How do you lock it at 30 fps without it being juddery as f*** ?

viveks86

The ini-files had MSAA in them, right? So maybe they added those options, but yeah I don't think so aswell. And according to those benches a 980 should get around 50ish average fps right? Well and NVIDIA's reccomendations were for 40 fps... so yeah, probably spot on those benchmarks.

The files also explicitly said MSAA is not currently supported. It requires engine level changes as they don't currently support any hardware AA solution. Highly doubt they are making new engine features at this point during crunch time

10-15 frames...? Wait what? Can someone confirm? Or is it sarcasm. I really don't know :/

According to this chart, it's 3 frames.

kONibAa.jpg

Static Jak

The ini-files had MSAA in them, right? So maybe they added those options, but yeah I don't think so aswell. And according to those benches a 980 should get around 50ish average fps right? Well and NVIDIA's recommendations were for 40 fps... so yeah, probably spot on those benchmarks.

Yep. :(

I hate when they do that.

Valravn

1440p with 980 sli, i will post the results tomorrow!
I will disable hairworks. Why? Well i dont think its looks very good.
HBAO+ will be enabled, because that does look good!

Top Bottom