• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

varkuriru

Will be diving into this with a 560ti. I guess I will start with low settings 720p and hopefully I can go up a little bit in settings. I want to wait for price drops before buying a new card.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
A little GPU was skipping down the path
Plough 'em all plough 'em all!

Along came TW3 and kicked it in its arse!
Plough 'em all plough 'em all!

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Never understood gameworks as it is, Is it all physx based effects and assets or something totally different and unrelated? I ask this because if adding an older or less powerful card than my 980 I have laying around to dump physx on in the driver defaults the gamesworks effects onto that card other than my 980 or 5960x then I have reason to play around with it and see what extra FPS can be squeezed out of gamworks games if gamesworks is really nothing more than physx framework with extensions...especially at the higher resolutions. this could even result in effect means to AMD users.

Anyone have any further insight on exactly what gamesworks is, I did my research and it all came back rather confusing and rather a giant locked black box of mystery that now has physx part of it but I dont know if I should read it as physx is now a base framework of many awesome eye candy goodies...now known as gamworks.

Good question to be honest. I bought the Alienware Alpha on the spot kind of thing in store. at the time I had my gaming laptop (dust collector now) which is still quite decent - i7, 680GTX,16GB. On both setups I still couldn't really Ultra games so I built a PC. Kind of got a promotion at work and spent silly. I even bought a MAC at the time.

You could say it's a complete waste of money and you'd be right. I should have built the PC from the start.

Must be nice having all that disposable cash. Incidentally, this is the same setup I've been running for a couple of years now (if you're talking the gtx680m); hope against hope I can still get to run medium-high settings at a decent frame rate.

I probably should get it on my ps4 with arguably better overall performance compared to my rig, but PC version being so much cheaper and importing my saves tipped the scales the other way.

Bod

Neo Member
Never understood gameworks as it is, Is it all physx based effects and assets or something totally different and unrelated? I ask this because if adding an older or less powerful card than my 980 I have laying around to dump physx on in the driver defaults the gamworks effects onto that card other than my 980 or 5960x then I have reason to play around with it and see what extra FPS can be squeezed out of gamworks games if gamesworks is really nothing more than physx framework with extensions...especially at the higher resolutions. this could even result in effect means to AMD users.

Anyone have any further insight on exactly what gamesworks is, I did my research and it all came back rather confusing and rather a giant locked black box of mystery that now has physx part of it but I dont know if I should read it as physx is now a base framework of many awesome eye candy goodies...now known as gamworks.

I would like to know this to, as i have just upgraded from a 670 to a 970. Is it worth using the 670 as a dedicated physx card. Will it improve performance by a decent amount.

Meh hair works looks like monsters inc and will no doubt destroy my 970. Destruction looks very cool on the other hand. So guess it's gonna be long nights of tinkering settings for dat 60fps.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to know this to, as i have just upgraded from a 670 to a 970. Is it worth using the 670 as a dedicated physx card. Will it improve performance by a decent amount.

I'll let you know once j figure out if gameworks is just one massive physx package because if it is Id imagine it would help much more than it used to with just basic physx. because they don't help in physx games like batman or borderlands 2. I just need someone to answer my above question then I'll run a bunch of benches lucky enough I have a 670 I can run as a dedicated physx card too. from my readings though it's maxwell biased....

Hm, shouldnt we with R9 290 be fine? U know PS4 and XONE has AMD gpus (weak ones) , i know api gonna be bootleg here but still its r9 290

Bod

Neo Member
I'll let you know once j figure out if gamworks is just one massive physx package because if it is Id imagine it would help much more than it used to with just basic physx. because they don't hekp in physx games like batman or borderlands 2. I just need someone to answer my above question.

I await to see what your conclusions are. Although having a 670 running as a physx card is going to up my power consumption by a large amount :)

Evo X

This game does not support the use of a secondary dedicated Physx card. It is all rolled into one package that can only run on the primary GPU along with the rest of the game.

is there a video of the physx destruction?

There is a little bit of it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4Hmgtl8q0

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
This game does not support the use of a secondary dedicated Physx card. It is all rolled into one package that can only run on the primary GPU along with the rest of the game.

There is a little bit of it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4Hmgtl8q0

you can't force it to a secondary Nvidia card in drivers like usual, think you may be wrong in that, because you can default it to CPU it has to be able to for AMDs sake. if gamesworks is nothing more than a physx platform then the calculations can be forced off to other hardware beit other Nvidia or cpu hardware.

Evo X

you can't force it to a secondary Nvidia card in drivers like usual, think you may be wrong in that, because you can default it to CPU it has to be able to for AMDs sake. if gamesworks is nothing more than a physx platform then the calculations can be forced off to other hardware beit other Nvidia or cpu hardware.

I am not sure what you mean. The Gameworks effects in this game will not work if you have an AMD GPU, regardless of your CPU.

Unlike older titles that supported Physx, you cannot force it to run on your 670 or CPU for this game because the in-game settings override the settings in the driver you are talking about.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Ah okay thanks for the heads up.

read post 268 Im fairly confident he misunderstood what we're talking about. If my theory of gamesworks is right thdn defaulting to a secondary card in the drivers will offload all physx calculations to that card including those of gamesworks providing the theory correct.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I am not sure what you mean. The Gameworks effects in this game will not work if you have an AMD GPU, regardless of your CPU.

Unlike older titles that supported Physx, you cannot force it to run on your 670 or CPU for this game because the in-game settings override the settings in the driver you are talking about.

drivers override the software silly goose if you choose the physx calculation to take place in the driver (set of hardware that is compatable) they will take place there. gamesworks effects will work on all hardware http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-release-the-witcher-3-game-ready-driver/

being able to force physx calculations isn't a problem

All gameworks fx in TW3 are vendor agnostic. That does not mean they will run well though.
read post 268 Im fairly confident he misunderstood what we're talking about. If my theory of gamesworks is right thdn defaulting to a secondary card in the drivers will offload all physx calculations to that card including those of gamesworks providing the theory correct.

drivers override the software silly goose if you choose the physx calculation to take place in the driver (set of hardware that is compatable) they will take place there. gamesworks effects will work...CDPR confirmed it but said it would not give great performance due to the CPU load.

This game is using CPU physx (for NV and AMD) and hairworks is done purely on the GPU. No CPU offloading or anything.

Bod

Neo Member

Will be checking out this thread during today and release, i will see what your findings are once you have the game.

Only 11hrs to go :)

The Cowboy

Some benchmarks.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/
qIhDYcR.png
Orange is average, blue is minimum.

Rodin

I have a bad feeling AMD owners are going to get the short end of the stick for this one :( 290X user here.

God help you 780 Ti if you dare under perform.
I will never understand this kind of post xD
You'll be fine, both of you.

Ha… DansGaming is not able to max the game out with 780 SLI and maintain 60. After the secret driver update, he has everything up except foliage view distance at "High". This is at 1080p. He is expecting a day 1 patch though
Sounds like a SLI issue, that will probably be addressed soon. 780 SLI vastly outperforms a single 980 and we already know that card is perfectly capable of running the game at 1080/60.

That was based on their obsolete preview build. I warned people in the Nvidia thread not to trust it.
I'm sure i'm reading this wrong but are you suggesting that an "old preview" is better optimized than the final version with two patches and dedicated drivers?
There's obviously something wrong with these benchmarks, possibly the wrote the resolution wrong and the tests are at 1440p?

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
All gameworks fx in TW3 are vendor agnostic. That does not mean they will run well though.

This game is using CPU physx (for NV and AMD) and hairworks is done purely on the GPU. No CPU offloading or anything.

so hair works calculations would in theory be offloaded onto the chosen physx medium that's what I'm getting at...is gameworks just physx framework with extensions...

Evo X

drivers override the software silly goose if you choose the physx calculation to take place in the driver (set of hardware that is compatable) they will take place there. gamesworks effects will work on all hardware http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-release-the-witcher-3-game-ready-driver/

being able to force physx calculations isn't a problem

Ok. I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that Hairworks is direct compute based, so it uses your primary GPU, not the one you dedicate to Physx in the drivers. Other basic Physx effects just run on your CPU.

Grechy34

Must be nice having all that disposable cash. Incidentally, this is the same setup I've been running for a couple of years now (if you're talking the gtx680m); hope against hope I can still get to run medium-high settings at a decent frame rate.

I probably should get it on my ps4 with arguably better overall performance compared to my rig, but PC version being so much cheaper and importing my saves tipped the scales the other way.

I wouldn't call it indisposable cash, haha. I've probably been a little careless and thankfully am still at home which I guess has helped. What I find and would recommend if you can keep it safe - credit. I bought my consoles/PC one by one on credit and always paid them off slowly as I got paid - cash flow is the key I found. Always keeping it to what you can afford. Once I move into my place most of the fun ends. :(

I'd actually say the 680GTX would outperform the PS4. Which mind you absolutely blows my mind until this day. I played AC: Unity on high settings at 1080P at about 35-40FPS on that thing (HBAO, Bloom turned off) so I would say you will be fine with the Witcher 3 on medium @ 1080P if you knock down a few fancy settings. The 4GB on that card really helps.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that Hairworks is direct compute based, so it uses your primary GPU, not the one you dedicate to Physx in the drivers. Other basic Physx effects just run on your CPU.

ah now we're on getting on the same page this info I like! much appreciated I will dive deep with this info

gameworks is just one giant mystery to me I want to see its internals so bad...sounds dirty

Red Hood

Banned
With my 4670K at 4.0 GHz and Sapphire 280X, I'm trusting I can run it High at 1080p with very little to no drops below 30fps. If not, I'll be heavily disappointed. I'm excited!

With my 4670K at 4.0 GHz and Sapphire 280X, I'm trusting I can run it High at 1080p with very little to no drops below 30fps. If not, I'll be heavily disappointed. I'm excited!

You should be able to maintain high 40s-60 on High, might be able to shoot for mostly constant 60 with some tweaks.

so hair works calculations would in theory be offloaded onto the chosen physx medium that's what I'm getting at...is gameworks just physx framework with extensions...

Hairworks runs on the GPU only but does not use GPU physX, thre is no offloading in the case that a non-CUDA enabled GPU is found.
Why aren't they using a GTX 980 instead of Titan X? plus if the Titan X gets those fps then i guess the GTX 980, which is about 30% slower, won't hit 60fps after all! i'm doomed to 30fps...

It is a rather low clocked titan x actually. 1150 (mine hits 1400 with OC, and 1200 default)

Klossen

Banned
Why aren't they using a GTX 980 instead of Titan X? plus if the Titan X gets those fps then i guess the GTX 980 won't hit 60fps after all! i'm doomed to 30fps...

Those benchmarks are on Ultra/Max with tons of performance killers activated. You'll most likely be able to turn down a few settings, lose next to nothing in fidelity and reach that 60 fps.

Bl@de

22-25fps on a 770? Wtf happened? I guess I'll have to play it on low or some Ultra settings simply destroy the performance.

Evo X

Are those benchmarks using the newest Nvidia drivers and Day 1 patch?

I am thinking no, so our performance tonight should be better.

22-25fps on a 770? Wtf happened? I guess I'll have to play it on low or some Ultra settings simply destroy the performance.

Or, play it on the recommended High settings with a few ultra sliders.
THey mention how the latest version of the game has a high, very high, and ultra setting. So they added one more Cvar grouping. High is consoles, very high is presumably the previous ultra, and ultra is the new ultra (über?)

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Hairworks runs on the GPU only but does not use GPU physX, thre is no offloading in the case that a non-CUDA enabled GPU is found

way ahead of you I got it figured out but thanks...Nvidias strategy officially has me confused...in terms if their proprietary use and their marketing strategies....just go open standard and dnt cripple for heavens sake.

so now they are semi open to everyone but are severely crippling AMD and their older stock

The Llama

Are those benchmarks using the newest Nvidia drivers and Day 1 patch?

I am thinking no, so our performance tonight should be better.

They say they're using the newest nVidia driver and "The Witcher 3 v1.02, ('semi-final' review build)." I have no idea what the Day 1 patch is going to be (v1.03?), but thats what they're using.

Top Bottom