• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Wait, how big is it?

y6V7Mh5.png

OjIOO7B.png

Does it DL in chunks or something lol?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The exact same thing happened to me last night. I honestly feel heartbroken. I don't know what to do because I can't go all the way back as I don't have a save from before the tree.

Live with it, and move on I guess :(

ryushe

Can you download the patch manually on their site? I'm looking for a link but I can't find it.

Also, I'm surprised everyone's getting crashes and 30 frame locks. I have a 290 and I've been perfectly fine.

I can't get 60fps in Inn at cross roads even on low settings with my GTX780; I get 60fps outside with low settings (mix of low and ultra because certain things have a low FPS hit).

My 500$ card is suddenly a low-settings card. I am switching to a new GPU that isn't Nvidia if they don't solve this.

Angel_DvA

How is Hairworks for 980 user with the patch ? I have an I7 4790k with 16GO ram and it's the only thing that keep me from the locked 60 fps savior.

So I did more testing on the gamepad "stutter" issue with camera movement, and I'm now 99% sure its a direct problem with the gamepads input. One thing that has bothered me from the start was I always had a bit of trouble selecting things from the radial menu, it always felt...off. Well, it appears that the same issue with the camera rotation happens with the radial menu.

You can see for yourself as you roatate either stick, the selector jumps around often. At first i thought maybe it was trying to stick to a selection, but then i used the mouse. Completely smooth, just the like the camera issue when using mouse.

This also brings up another possible issue. The input problem also happens when using the left stick in the radial menu....which means it could possibly be affecting character movement. This may very well be a cause for the movement issues ive been reading about.

I could be wrong about all of this, but the same sort of issue happening in two different systems of the game, both using gamepad analog controls...idk.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Can you download the patch manually on their site? I'm looking for a link but I can't find it.

Also, I'm surprised everyone's getting crashes and 30 frame locks. I have a 290 and I've been perfectly fine.

Yeah i'm not seeing it in my GOG library, only the installer files + the release patch ( Not using Galaxy ).

Anyone read this yet? Sorry if old
NVIDIA tanking Witcher 3 performance on 600/700 series cards in favor of 900

Reverting to 347.88 seems to be an alternative solution.

I believe it. there's nothing that TW3 is doing that seems to be incredibly taxing outside of maybe the typical physx/hariworks type of physics heavy stuff. I can't seem to find any benchmarks that show how much better the game runs on 347.88 though. Maybe i'm just not clicking on the right links.

b0uncyfr0

Is it weird that after doubling TextureMemoryBudget in one of the ini's (cnt remember), my Texture quality in-game was showing as Low.

It didn't look low though. I made sure to make the ini read-only so not sure if this is just the game messing with me or its actually using the low setting cause it cant write to the file.

Is it weird that after doubling TextureMemoryBudget in one of the ini's (cnt remember), my Texture quality in-game was showing as Low.

It didn't look low though. I made sure to make the ini read-only so not sure if this is just the game messing with me or its actually using the low setting cause it cant write to the file.

When you change the graphics config files, the game stops being able to recognise your settings, so it shows up in the settings menus as low by default. It isn't actually low though :)

Sanctuary

Has anyone had an issue with Geralt's amulet suddenly getting all "clinky" sounding each time he takes a step? It may have been doing it already the entire time, but had been drowned out by wind, music and other sound effects, but it's driving me nuts right now. All I hear as he walks is CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK! And it's the amulet when it sways back and forth, because I've removed the rest of his gear.

Tankshell

Does anyone elses copy of the game leave the witcher 3.exe process running after exiting on Steam? It's annoying as I can't close Steam without manually ending the process each time...

Kvik

Yeah, if you've mess around with the .ini, the correspondent values will be shown to Low even if it's above Ultra.

Don't worry about it too much, edit away!

back to tanking my fps by setting too high a value on everything.

Edit: beaten by Mr. Waffles.

UnrealEck

Textures to fucking high? There are no Vram issues no whatsoever--as if they are trying to portray the 780 as a mid-high card now.

High and Ultra textures are identical. Ultra just caches (stores) more textures in memory. It essentially says 'I want you to use more VRAM to store stuff'.
I honestly don't see the point in it though. It's a rather strange way of doing things compared to GTA5's excellent way of showing you an estimated usage.
Besides, who the fuck calls Ultra textures 'more VRAM as a cache'?

dr_rus

Whaat. Hairworks on? If not, a 970 should do double that. Literally playing the game right now, as we speak, on ultra, keeping a steady 60fps.

My 970 is practically 60fps all the time with everything besides hairworks and grass on high instead.

Witcher 2 without ubersampling still drops to 50fps on my PC at times.

My PC can run TW2 maxed without ubersampling at 60 fps as well. TW3, I can only run it at 30 fps maxed.

Hairworks and everything to Ultra? Which resolution?

If Hairworks on and anything over 1080 then yes, of course it's going to struggle.

Max details is max details so Hairworks is on of course. All else is on Ultra + AF 16x is forced in TW3 profile. 2560x1600.

After reading this thread for a few days I'm thinking I may be better off waiting a few weeks before playing. Looks like the lower end side of things needs some work. Maybe its something to do with Kepler / Maxwell. Time will tell I guess. Not like ps4 version is a back up plan for me anymore with what I have read about frame rates later in the game.

Anyone here on a gtx 765m tried with this new patch or just dropping everything to low (including things like depth of field.) All I care about is 768p and 30 locked at this point.

UnrealEck

Does this would with 760? Only seeing people talk about 770.

I tried a few old drivers but not that specific one. None of them changed performance one iota.
I think the latest drivers are only really useful for Maxwell cards.

Not like ps4 version is a back up plan for me anymore with what I have read about frame rates later in the game.

I've also seen the PS4 version crash a fair bit too. Probably as much as the PC version.

mintyice

I tried a few old drivers but not that specific one. None of them changed performance one iota.
I think the latest drivers are only really useful for Maxwell cards.

I've also seen the PS4 version crash a fair bit too. Probably as much as the PC version.

Yeah, my performance isn't terrible right now so why fix what isn't super broken

Towns are the FPS killers, especially Inn at the Cross Roads.

I wonder if you can turn them off.

I tried this. Made performance worse, stuttering much worse. Didn't gain or lose any fps.

I tried it as well before the patch; the FPS increased by a very small margin or it was the same, but it had stuttering and loading issues. I just rolled back after the recent patch and the stuttering is gone; maybe it is white Orchid only.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stuttering is gone.

Inventory crash is yet to show up under conditions where it normally would.

UnrealEck

Towns are the FPS killers, especially Inn at the Cross Roads.

Even areas with only a few buildings hit my framerate hard.
There's something up with buildings. I thought it was dynamic lights at first from things like candles, but it's still hitting hard when it's a few unlit buildings.
Something to do with the geometry I'm guessing.
Maybe they still have tessellated building models and it's using some rediculous amount of it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Played about 6 hours last night. 0 crashes by uninstalling Chrome.

Leatherface

I can't get 60fps in Inn at cross roads even on low settings with my GTX780; I get 60fps outside with low settings (mix of low and ultra because certain things have a low FPS hit).

My 500$ card is suddenly a low-settings card. I am switching to a new GPU that isn't Nvidia if they don't solve this.

I'm in the same boat. Super pissed about this.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Err, holy shit? After the patch hairworks on full drops me from 60fps solid to 57fps lowest while spinning around in a town. Before the patch it dropped me to 40fps outside with just Geralt on screen.

Right after more testing I'd say hairworks still isn't viable for me on my 970, neither Geralt nor all. When it rains and his hair gets wet I lose 5fps, when I run into a pack of wolves I lose 15fps. It's much better than yesterday that's for sure, but 60fps without dips is way more important to me. I'm sure a lot of you who are less sensitive to frame drops will possibly be able to use it after the patch though.

dragn

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.03 changelog:

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
Improves menu handling
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
Corrects an issue in dialog selections
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Minor SFX improvements -Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back

hope this fixes the stone and yellow/red foliage popout/in when playing like this
witcher3_2015_05_21_1kwrc7.png

Top Bottom