• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Daverid

Anyone else getting stuttering when they activate INI tweaks?

My game runs smooth as butter when I've just got all the default stuff set to max, but as soon as I try to touch the INI, the game freaks the fuck out and I end up with stuttering every second or so when I move fast (Gallop or Running) or am moving the camera around a lot. Which is really frustrating because the INI tweaks really do make the game look a solid chunk more beautiful, but I cannot handle the damn stuttering.

Any tips? Anyone who had a similar problem but fixed it? (I'm running SLI Titan X's, tried various resolutions, updated drivers blah blah)

Awntawn

It's not great, but it's not unplayable. It's an open world game though, so I expected bugs at launch. If it isn't patched within a week or two I'll join in with my own pitchfork, but until then I can deal with a crash every hour or two and still (mostly) enjoy the heck out of this amazing game.

I was in your shoes yesterday. Three straight crashes within an hour soured that real quick for me.

I just wish there was a little more vocal outrage, if only because it seems to be the only way to make the developers aware of the issues. If the latest tweet about font size being their current priority is anything to go by, they don't seem to be yet.

MaddenNFL64

I was in your shoes yesterday. Three straight crashes within an hour soured that real quick for me.

I just wish there was a little more vocal outrage, if only because it seems to be the only way to make the developers aware of the issues. If the latest tweet about font size being their current priority is anything to go by, they don't seem to be yet.

Oh, if they sit on their asses and don't deal with this, their goodwill sunshine time will go away quick. Honeymoon period is on right now.

If they deal with the issues swiftly, they are golden. Lets hope they do.

edit: just noticed the patch too, nice.

Chesskid1

Banned
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.03 changelog:

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
Improves menu handling
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
Corrects an issue in dialog selections
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Minor SFX improvements -Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back

Ruprit

Please say this is true omg!

Improves menu handling
Minor SFX improvements -Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back

Hopefully it's significant. It's the only thing keeping me from maintaining a solid 60fps.

MaddenNFL64

Improves menu handling
Rostan Muggs is back

Man, I hope this does the trick.

roytheone

Stability-updates-300x234.jpg

But to be fair, this game actually needs it badly.

aravuus

Yoo getting my hopes up

Not out on Steam yet, though? Mine isn't downloading anything and I don't know how to force Steam to check for updates

watchdog

Played the game yesterday evening and the game crashed twice. Both times I was in my inventory. After the second crash I quit because I lost a tiny bit of progress. I almost don't want to play because I'm not sure when it's going to crash.

kinggroin

Banned
Played the game yesterday evening and the game crashed twice. Both times I was in my inventory. After the second crash I quit because I lost a tiny bit of progress. I almost don't want to play because I'm not sure when it's going to crash.

Look above. There's an update addressing performance and stability.

TheGrue

KB/M. Played the first 5h with a Xbox 360 Controller. Then switched to KB/M. So much better. Just like in Witcher 2 suddenly it's much more direct. Faster turning with the mouse, better riding, better inventory, better everything ... in my opinion there is no other way.

My thoughts exactly.

Gbraga

My 680 2GB really feels outdated now >>. I get like an average of 35-45, sometimes it goes a bit higher and sometimes it dips lower. I have everything on medium except texture's on high and foliage distance an shadows on low, with ssao and aa. It's impossible for me to get even close to a consistent 60 though.

The weird thing is if I lock it to 30 fps it feels really sluggish and awful. More so than other games in 30 fps.

Edit: Playing @1080p btw.

Here's what I did with a 680 (with Durante and SalsaShark's help):

Post-proccess everything on except Chromatic Aberration, also using HBAO+

Graphics I have hairworks off, Shadows on Medium, Textures, Detail and Terrain Quality on Ultra, everything else on high.

Unlimited Framerate, Vsync off, Borderless Window mode, and use RTSS to limit the framerate to 30.

It's not possible (as far as I know) to get solid 60fps on a 680, even on the lowest settings, so might as well make it as pretty as you can at 30.

Well, for all those who love sharpened images, you can have your in game wish now:

Also, hairworks runs much better during close ups and is visually the same at first glance (less framrate crawl when close up).

1.03 hairworks

what fps where you getting with hairworks before the patch? doesnt show on the image

It is very obvious for Kepler card owners; I noticed it immediately and started suspecting it after I saw the optimized settings in Geforce experience; it is the absolute worst settings that you can have for a GTX 780. Textures to fucking high? There are no Vram issues no whatsoever--as if they are trying to portray the 780 as a mid-high card now.

One of the mods in the Nvidia forums responded; they are apparently investigating it (preparing for damage control). We are still waiting for a response or a new driver.

Gbraga

Improves menu handling
Rostan Muggs is back

No font fix? TT_TT

Also, still unable to use Steam Overlay when playing this game, but it seems I'm the only one with this issue.

pahamrick

Installed the patch from gog.com because gog galaxy is locked at 0.1MB/s download.

Galaxy still insists on downloading a 676MB patch.

Downloaded the PC 240 mb patch. I am not noticing any difference in performance (without hairworks), and there seems to be some animation canceling glitch or teleporting; it might be related to spamming dodge instead of waiting for an attack.

As for hairworks, it still tanks FPS by 10-15 frames; sometimes even more.

Top Bottom