• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

kswiston

Ha so Kswiss was .4 down on Tues but .4 up on Wedn

I did mention that I was probably being optimistic, and that today could be a 35% drop :p

I think that my original Thursday -5% is also on the optimistic side, but game 3 was last night, so maybe Wednesday took a slight hit.

Either way, we should probably expect a sub-$9M Thursday. Somewhere in the $8.45-8.95M range depending on tomorrow's percentage drop.

EDIT: I wonder when Deadline will give up on their $60M second weekend narrative.

kswiston

Amityville: The Awakening has been yanked from its June 30th release date and now carries a TBA date.

This film was originally scheduled for a Jan 2015 release, and was shot in 2014.

Lima

What's with the weak ass Cruise missile hate huh? I'm gonna park my ass in the theater for the 8pm prime time showing. They put it on the largest screen again but tickets are selling at King Arthur rate which means not at all. I'm afraid the Cruise missile will miss its mark here in Germany too. 😭

kswiston

What's with the weak ass Cruise missile hate huh? I'm gonna park my ass in the theater for the 8pm prime time showing. They put it on the largest screen again but tickets are selling at King Arthur rate which means not at all. I'm afraid the Cruise missile will miss its mark here in Germany too. 😭

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Cruise Missile misses NATO, detonates in Asia.

Penguin

Wonder Woman most tweeted movie of 2017... yay?

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/wonder-woman-twitter-record-2017-1202457742/

“Wonder Woman” has garnered more than 2.19 million tweets so far this year, according to exclusive information obtained by Variety from Twitter.

Those 2.19 million tweets make “Wonder Woman” the most popular movie on Twitter of 2017, surpassing “La La Land” and “Beauty and the Beast,” which topped the box office this year with over $1.2 billion internationally, but came in third place on Twitter.

kswiston

Last year, Rogue One was #1, but the other 3 billion dollar films were #6 (Civil War), #7 (Finding Dory), and #9 (Zootopia). Ghostbusters was #10.

The List:

1) Rogue One - #2 WW in 2016
2) Suicide Squad - #10 WW in 2016
3) Deadpool - #9 WW in 2016
4) Fantastic Beasts - #8 WW in 2016
5) Batman v Superman - #7 WW in 2016
6) Civil War - #1 WW in 2016
7) Finding Dory - #3 WW in 2016
8) The Revenant - #13 WW in 2015
9) Zootopia - #4 WW in 2016
10) Ghostbusters - #36 WW in 2016

EDIT: I added the 2016 worldwide ranks for each film

kswiston

Man, them saying Dunkirk getting a 4x OW multiplier?

$60m opening, 240m domestic. Those are some legs they are predicting.

No doubt they are looking at Inception and Interstellar, which were both in that range or higher, plus the fact that it's a film that will skew older. It's still on the optimistic side though.

Man, them saying Dunkirk getting a 4x OW multiplier?

$60m opening, 240m domestic. Those are some legs they are predicting.
4.0 multiplier is probably reasonable enough considering the material and the release date. The big question is if it can open to $60M; I would expect closer to $45M right now.

kswiston

4.0 multiplier is probably reasonable enough considering the material and the release date. The big question is if it can open to $60M; I would expect closer to $45M right now.

Pretty much all of the recent WW2 films hit at least 3x OW multis, and many are near or over 4x. As you say, the opening is the big question.

August is pretty dead though. If Dunkirk gets great WOM/reviews, I wouldn't be too shocked to see it approach a 5x multi if the opening weekend is closer to $40M than $60M.

kunonabi

Amityville: The Awakening has been yanked from its June 30th release date and now carries a TBA date.

This film was originally scheduled for a Jan 2015 release, and was shot in 2014.

Jesus. I know the movie is going to be horrible but id still like to see it for the cast.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pretty much all of the recent WW2 films hit at least 3x OW multis, and many are near or over 4x. As you say, the opening is the big question.

August is pretty dead though. If Dunkirk gets great WOM/reviews, I wouldn't be too shocked to see it approach a 5x multi if the opening weekend is closer to $40M than $60M.
May be a stupid question, but what does a multiplier in regards of BO mean?

kswiston

May be a stupid question, but what does a multiplier in regards of BO mean?

It refers to the number you get when you divide total domestic gross by opening weekend (or less commonly used here, opening weekend by opening day).

If a film opens at $100M and makes $300M total, the total is 3x the opening weekend, so it has a 3x OW multiplier.

kswiston

The opening weekend multiplier is a rough measure of a film's longevity/legs. You still need to take release date into consideration though. A 3x OW multiplier for a big release in early May is amazing. A 3x OW multiplier for a big release in late December is not.

EDIT: Generally speaking, films released during the summer, and during major holiday periods (mainly American Thanksgiving week and the winter holidays) have better legs by default thanks to larger weekday grosses. Films that have mostly working age audiences also have better weekday grosses.

kswiston

Wonder Woman will be somewhere between $147-148M after today.

Man of Steel made $41.3M in its second weekend and went on to make a $81M after day 10. So basically, a further 1.96x that second weekend take.

Here's what Wonder Woman looks like if it has the same 1.96x second weekend multiplier for the rest of its run after this weekend:

With a 55% drop this weekend:
First 7 days: $147M
Second weekend: $103.3M x 0.45 = $46.4M
Rest of Run using MoS legs: $46.4M x 1.96 = $90.8M
Domestic Total: 147M + 46.5M + 90.8M = $284M

With a 50% drop this weekend:
First 7 days: $147M
Second weekend: $103.3M x 0.5 = $51.6M
Rest of Run using MoS legs: $51.6 x 1.96 = $101.1M
Domestic Total: 147M + 51.6M + 101.1M = $299.7M

Now adjust for the fact that Man of Steel had terrible late holds. Wonder Woman is pretty close to locking up $300M unless this weekend is magically terrible.

kswiston

Pirates 5 is now the second highest grossing live action film of all time in Russia (after Avatar) using local currency. Of course, the Russian Ruble is sitting at about half of what it was when Avatar or Pirates 4 launched. So $30M lost to weak exchanges.

kswiston

Most people didn't think it would do 600M when it was brought up last year. Ant-Man numbers were usually thrown around.

Ant-Man will remain a pretty good comparison for the overall international number.

The Domestic predictions are where the crow is served.

I think that my last domestic prediction before reviews/WOM hit was $90M OW and $225M total, so I was under-shooting the legs as well.

EDIT: I had Wonder Woman at #4 in my summer box office prediction thread. That could still be right depending on where Despicable Me 3 and Spider-Man land. I'm starting to think that DM3 will be 4th now.

Most people didn't think it would do 600M when it was brought up last year. Ant-Man numbers were usually thrown around.

My first prediction was 470M worldwide and then I adjusted it to 590 a couple of weeks ago. I was not expecting such a warm reception but I'm happy I was wrong.

Schlorgan

Last year, Rogue One was #1, but the other 3 billion dollar films were #6 (Civil War), #7 (Finding Dory), and #9 (Zootopia). Ghostbusters was #10.

The List:

1) Rogue One - #2 WW in 2016
2) Suicide Squad - #10 WW in 2016
3) Deadpool - #9 WW in 2016
4) Fantastic Beasts - #8 WW in 2016
5) Batman v Superman - #7 WW in 2016
6) Civil War - #1 WW in 2016
7) Finding Dory - #3 WW in 2016
8) The Revenant - #13 WW in 2015
9) Zootopia - #4 WW in 2016
10) Ghostbusters - #36 WW in 2016

EDIT: I added the 2016 worldwide ranks for each film

Yay! BvS finally beats Civil War at something!

;p

kswiston

BvS is #1 when it comes to opening weekend percentage of domestic gross for ALL Marvel/DC films this decade. Civil War had to settle for a lowly 4th place.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Age of Ultron's $100M shortfall worldwide was entirely due to weakening exchange rates. Both made pretty much the same amount worldwide with matched rates.

Ultron's big dip was domestically. But it's not all that uncommon to see a big domestic dip to the follow up of a record breaking event film. We'll see how the Jurassic World sequel does next year.
But AoU did $946.4M OS vs $895.5M for The Avengers, with worse exchange rates. The WW difference was due to the Domestic drop.

It's also amazing because dear God were things rocky back then. Recasting, pay disputes, Iron Man 2 fall out. There'll be an amazing behind the scenes tell all someday about the MCU productions.
FWIW, the 3 disc special edition of IM2 had an hour and a half behind the scenes documentary that showed several of the issues and things that happened during production.

Thats Guardians 2 numbers, right?
GotG V2 had a $146M opening weekend and is heading towards a $385M domestic total.

kswiston

But AoU did $946.4M OS vs $895.5M for The Avengers, with worse exchange rates. The WW difference was due to the Domestic drop.

I meant that Age of Ultron would have edged out Avengers on the worldwide list if it benefitted from the same 2012 exchange rates. Overseas grosses were strong enough to carry it to $1.525B, even with the $160M domestic drop, if exchange rates hadn't dropped in those 3 years.

J_Viper

It'd be crazy if Homecoming ends up with less than GoTG2

Is it possible that the High School Freshmen setting is turning some people off?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I meant that Age of Ultron would have edged out Avengers on the worldwide list if it benefitted from the same 2012 exchange rates. Overseas grosses were strong enough to carry it to $1.525B, even with the $160M domestic drop, if exchange rates hadn't dropped in those 3 years.
Ah yes, totally agree on that.
Apologies, had misunderstood what you meant.

kswiston

Is Mummy even gonna manage 100 million domestic now?

Probably not if it debuts with less than $40M, which seems very likely.

Domestic audiences have gotten picky in the last couple of years. Probably because we get a ton of $100M+ films now. Spectacle isn't enough to get someone to lay down $7-20 depending on location and format of choice.

Top Bottom