• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Raimi on MOS 2.

Defoe as Papa Luthor.

camby.png
Luthor plotlines.

If I don't finally get Braniac in a Superman movie, I'm going to complain about it on NeoGAF.com.

Technically only Kurtzman is involved (as director), and it does has some pretty good writers attached to it; David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Mission Impossible) and Christopher McQuarrie (MI: Rogue Nation, The Usual Suspects, Edge of Tomorrow)

The writing talent involved is enough for me to not write it off completely.

You forgot to mention the other four fucking writers this movie had. Sorry, but that's never a good sign. Cruise probably brought in McQuarrie to punch it up a bit, but it was too little too late.

And the director is enough for me to write it off completely no matter how much I like Cruise's movies usually. The only legitimately good things Kurtzman's ever been a part of are Fringe and Star Trek '09.

As expected, pretty soft opening for WW in France so far, about half of what every other DCEU film made. It might end up in First Avenger territory unless word of mouth saves it. The reviews seem a lot more middling around here. Not that it matters much, it'll make its money elsewhere.

It got a few euros from me at least, I really enjoyed it even though its flaws really frustrated me. It was so close to being great, I feel like a little bit more money and post-production time could have made it a true classic. Oh well, I still got a good WW movie in my lifetime, it's more than I ever expected, lol.

This 'Dark Universe' has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Some executive probably got $10 million dollars for bringing it up during a meeting. Also WB/DC should sue them for infringing on the name.

I don't think it's dumb in and of itself, but it's dumb to think something like that is viable nowadays. The Universal Monsters are mostly a nostalgia act and have become generic tropes in cinema. Trying to base a multi-film cinematic universe around them is just silly.

kswiston

Deadline is mentioning that 'analysts' are expecting a $60M second weekend for Wonder Woman. Someone needs to lay off the caffeine.

Ouch given the Mummy reviews I don't expect it to launch well at all this weekend. It was alreadybtravking low and this will certainly not help it

Anecdotal evidence time--

I know women who are seeing this after the weekend buzz got them interested-- women who don't normally like superhero movies.

Also anecdotal--

I know comic-book fans who are still hesitant, which I take to be either a) skeptical of DCEU b) more Marvel guys c) just don't care about Wonder Woman.

The former are a larger group than the latter.

Before WW came out, there was talk that being between Pirates and The Mummy could really hurt it, and being up against a Dreamworks feature.

Pirates and Underpants didn't really make a dent, and now the Mummy is getting terrible reviews. Per Studio Execs, RT can kill a movie! :D

Seriously, between being really good and the other Summer tentpoles fumbling, WW could have really really good legs. What comes out the week after The Mummy?

kswiston

Before WW came out, there was talk that being between Pirates and The Mummy could really hurt it, and being up against a Dreamworks feature.

Pirates and Underpants didn't really make a dent, and now the Mummy is getting terrible reviews. Per Studio Execs, RT can kill a movie! :D

Seriously, between being really good and the other Summer tentpoles fumbling, WW could have really really good legs. What comes out the week after The Mummy?

Cars 3 + Rough Night + All Eyez On Me next weekend. Transformers 5 releases the following Wednesday.

Cars 3, I think

EDIT: Beaten

Loxley

Cars 3, and Transformers comes out the week after that.

Penguin

Cars 3 + Rough Night + All Eyez On Me next weekend. Transformers 5 releases the following Wednesday.

Curious how All Eyes on Me does

Like Straight Outta Compton released in a window with limited competition but think people are more interested in Tupac's story...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All Eyez On Me doesn't have near the buzz that Straight Outta Compton did. It'll be a little bit bigger than Notorious I think.

kswiston

Usually films with mostly black casts get mostly black audiences. Straight Outta Compton had a lot of crossover appeal. It still had a ton of appeal to African American audiences, but about half the audience was white/hispanic/Asian.

Tupac was about as mainstream as 90s rap got, but I'm not sure that this film is getting the same sort of buzz that would indicate a wider appeal.

www.viva-press.com/release-dates/wonder-woman-release-dates/

Here's what's left:

Switzerland 7 June 2017 (French speaking region)
France 7 June 2017
Albania 8 June 2017
Greece 8 June 2017
Switzerland 15 June 2017 (German speaking region)
Germany 15 June 2017
Netherlands 15 June 2017
Norway 16 June 2017
Belgium 21 June 2017
Egypt 23 June 2017
Spain 23 June 2017
Japan 25 August 2017
It never ceases to amaze me how behind Japan always is when it comes to movies. Even big budget tentpole franchises that open in most of the world in a matter of weeks they still manage to get it two or three months late. What gives???

It never ceases to amaze me how behind Japan always is when it comes to movies. Even big budget tentpole franchises that open in most of the world in a matter of weeks they still manage to get it two or three months late. What gives???
I think they have bigger restrictions regarding foreign movies.

Anth0ny

No idea what they're thinking releasing All Eyez close to so much competition. doesn't stand a chance, sadly.

This was supposed to launch the rap biopic cinematic universe :(

The people behind All Eyez on Me would lead me to believe it's a bad movie, like worse than 'Notorious' bad.

That's really so sad because there is so many dynamics to Tupac and each era from the beginning of Pacs career to the end could be represented in its own distinct way and how Pac molded himself throughout his career/life. In the right hands a movie about him could be as good as Straight Outta Compton if not even better.

What's going to be released in a week definitely won't be anything of that sort most likely .

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Many of the most famously expensive movies ever made were shot on water. It's incredibly expensive and complicated. $230m isn't even that much, all things considered. The last Pirates movie cost $350-400m. Titanic cost $200m in 1997.

This is just purely throwing money away.

Boke1879

I'm feeling pretty confident WW will hit $300m domestic. How's everyone else feeling total domestic gross shakes out?

WW should still be the movie to see this weekend and I'm hoping to catch it a 3rd time. If this weekend is truly a good weekend like many are predicting. I'm going to say 250million. I like to play it a bit conservative.

WW should still be the movie to see this weekend and I'm hoping to catch it a 3rd time. If this weekend is truly a good weekend like many are predicting. I'm going to say 250million. I like to play it a bit conservative.

Only a 2.5 multiplier? That doesn't sound right that would be only slightly better than Suicide Squad legs

The Mummy isn't even in movietickets.com's top 5 yet. Between that and the reviews, I'm having a hard time seeing this making much more than $25M this weekend.

witness

I'm feeling pretty confident WW will hit $300m domestic. How's everyone else feeling total domestic gross shakes out?

I'm thinking it can crack the $315m-$325m range when all said and done. Transformers will continue it's downward trend domestically and that will help.

The Mummy isn't even in movietickets.com's top 5 yet. Between that and the reviews, I'm having a hard time seeing this making much more than $25M this weekend.

All the theaters near me that do reserved seating are deserted for Mummy showings. The biggest one is the nearby IMAX that's sold 21 seats for the 7pm Thursday. $25M may be a challenge if WOM is bad.

Boke1879

I've said it before but to me the big thing is there just didn't seem like a lot of hype behind this Mummy movie.

With WW. People at least had their eyes on it. Then early impressions from critics hailed the movie. Then reviews came out and solidified that stance.

The Mummy? It just seems like people are like "Oh that's a thing."

Top Bottom