• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Penguin

I've said it before but to me the big thing is there just didn't seem like a lot of hype behind this Mummy movie.

With WW. People at least had their eyes on it. Then early impressions from critics hailed the movie. Then reviews came out and solidified that stance.

The Mummy? It just seems like people are like "Oh that's a thing."

I said it before, but the marketing had no vision. Like I was interested in the movie because I knew it existed not because I knew what it was.

And reviews seem to say it doesn't get what it is

Schlorgan

You forgot to mention the other four fucking writers this movie had. Sorry, but that's never a good sign. Cruise probably brought in McQuarrie to punch it up a bit, but it was too little too late.

And the director is enough for me to write it off completely no matter how much I like Cruise's movies usually. The only legitimately good things Kurtzman's ever been a part of are Fringe and Star Trek '09.
I would put MI3 in there too, but yeah.

If the reviews for The Mummy were good, I would go see it but nope.

Who wants to put money on Jack Reacher 2 having a higher RT score at the end of this?

The Mummy isn't even in movietickets.com's top 5 yet. Between that and the reviews, I'm having a hard time seeing this making much more than $25M this weekend.

I'm just listening to the Van Helsing soundtrack, because that actually is some good shit.

So let me just pitch this for the producers reading along:

Jackman's Van Helsing in a more Castlevania 2 (the video game) inspired version of The Raid, but on the castle of the first vampire, Nosferatu. Death to be a mandatory character / plot device. Smaller, more intimate, and a shitload of nasty (seriously, drop the PG and go R). Surprise tie-in with Blade just to be a total dick and make it MCU. Come on, you've made shittier movies. Do it.

If you want make money on these things budget cannot exceed 50m-100m max, because they'll never make a lot more than that these days. Over-saturated market and all that. We all streamers now, we can just watch the older, better ones, without leaving home. So you have to be really good, or smart about it. I'd suggest smart.

/nonsense

That said, I think this is where these attempts at bringing back undead public domain ideas finally meet their demise, permanently.

kswiston

Wonder Woman and every other holdover are in for 90% drops when Sony's "100% on Rotten Tomatoes" epic, Baby Driver, smashes its way into multiplexes.

Wonder Woman and every other holdover are in for 90% drops when Sony's "100% on Rotten Tomatoes" epic, Baby Driver, smashes its way into multiplexes.

giphy.gif

I expect great things from Baby Driver. Except for box office grosses. I expect sadness from that.

Prompto

Banned
Why do you have to rub salt on what is sure to be a very large wound? :(

I still have hope!

Baby Driver is one of the worst names for a movie I've heard in quite a while.

Like I have no idea what the movie is about but already have no interest in seeing it just based off that title

Is Baby Driver the spin off thing to Boss Baby? I thought that was DTV, guess that movie did pretty good for it to have another movie out so quick.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Like I have no idea what the movie is about but already have no interest in seeing it just based off that title

When I first heard it I thought it was some dumb parody of Drive.

Is Baby Driver the spin off thing to Boss Baby? I thought that was DTV, guess that movie did pretty good for it to have another movie out so quick.

completely unrelated, but I too, have no idea what it actually entails.

But it's an Edgar Wright movie, written and directed by him, so I guess that works.
Featuring Cinderella, Frank Underwood, and TV Punisher.

Synopsis / logline: After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

If you like Edgar Wright, you'll definitely like Baby Driver. And even if you don't like his movies, you'll probably like it too.

Which makes it a real shame Sony seems to have dumped it.

duckroll

I think that says more about you than it does about the person driving the baby.

AndyVirus

New Mommy triumphs over new Mummy.

How are the WW holds in the rest of the world? I know China added another ~$10m without ticketing fees across Mon & Tues.

Branduil

So after Mummy bombs will Universal try to reboot the "Dark Universe" once again, or will we finally be free from another stupid attempt to ape Marvel.

DeathyBoy

Banned
So after Mummy bombs will Universal try to reboot the "Dark Universe" once again, or will we finally be free from another stupid attempt to ape Marvel.

Marvel have really done a great job hoodwinking people into thinking they created the first cinematic universe.

Branduil

Marvel have really done a great job hoodwinking people into thinking they created the first cinematic universe.

Oh, of course they didn't invent it. But all the recent, obnoxious, studio-driven premature plans for their own cinematic universes are clearly inspired by that Marvel dough.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh, of course they didn't invent it. But all the recent, obnoxious, studio-driven premature plans for their own cinematic universes are clearly inspired by that Marvel dough.

Marvel made competent films, but Avengers breaking out was a happy bit of luck. Nothing prior to that film suggested over a billion, or even anything other than 600 million to be honest.

Doesn't matter what you make, until it's released it's a crap shoot box office wise.

Paz

Nobody says generic cover shooter #73 is trying to be Kill Switch, it doesn't really matter what came first when it's obvious that Marvel's insane success is what people want to replicate regardless of who invented something.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Nobody says generic cover shooter #73 is trying to be Kill Switch, it doesn't really matter what came first when it's obvious that Marvel's insane success is what people want to replicate regardless of who invented something.

My point was more there's precedent for a monsters universe. They might be chasing the Marvel dollar, but they do have foundation blocks.

Other stuff doesn't have that and can't even do the marketing walk.

kswiston

Deadline stated that industry projections put The Mummy at $125-135M overseas this weekend. Given that China looks set to open >$50M, and that South Korea should be easily over $20M, That's probably not far fetched.

They still have the domestic opening pegged at $35-42M, which I am doubtful will happen. Reviews are terrible.

Deadline is also reporting that they have sources who contest that the film's production costs were in the $125 range, and instead were closer to $195M. Of course, we won't get any confirmation of that rumor unless someone gets hold of the UK tax credit filing (unlikely).

DeathyBoy

Banned
Deadline stated that industry projections put The Mummy at $125-135M overseas this weekend. Given that China looks set to open >$50M, and that South Korea should be easily over $20M, That's probably not far fetched.

They still have the domestic opening pegged at $35-42M, which I am doubtful will happen. Reviews are terrible.

Deadline is also reporting that they have sources who contest that the film's production costs were in the $125 range, and instead were closer to $195M. Of course, we won't get any confirmation of that rumor unless someone gets hold of the UK tax credit filing (unlikely).

125? Lol.

Oh Hollywood. Cast Tom Cruise, an actor who doesn't leave his house unless you pay him, and straight face say the film cost 125 million including his salary.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Marvel made competent films, but Avengers breaking out was a happy bit of luck. Nothing prior to that film suggested over a billion, or even anything other than 600 million to be honest.

Doesn't matter what you make, until it's released it's a crap shoot box office wise.
That is absolute bullcrap. If you couldn't tell that a blockbuster that had been hyped for 4 years straight starring the well-liked actors of 4 previous movies wasn't gonna hit a billion, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That is absolute bullcrap. If you couldn't tell that a blockbuster that had been hyped for 4 years straight starring the well-liked actors of 4 previous movies wasn't gonna hit a billion, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
These people became really famous with The Avengers and nobody (yes, there were people, I know...) gave a shit about them before Avengers.
And nobody got hyped from Sam Jacksons Avengers Iniative unless you were a Comicbook Reader.

Penguin

I'm with Deathboy on this one

Like before Avengers, Iron Man 2 was the highest grossing film and didn't even cross 650

Like finishing in 800-900 Million category wouldn't have been a bad result at all. But yeah it blew it

There was a lot of doubt as to whether the ensemble would be as popular as the individual movies. Hindsight is 20/20. Yes, the potential was there, but so was the potential that it would be overstuffed or incoherent, or maybe merely do as well as an X-men movie. Whedon deserves a ton of credit for pulling it off.

$9.4M Wednesday for Wonder Woman.

Pretty typical drop?

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm with Deathboy on this one

Like before Avengers, Iron Man 2 was the highest grossing film and didn't even cross 650

Like finishing in 800-900 Million category wouldn't have been a bad result at all. But yeah it blew it

It's also amazing because dear God were things rocky back then. Recasting, pay disputes, Iron Man 2 fall out. There'll be an amazing behind the scenes tell all someday about the MCU productions.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's also amazing because dear God were things rocky back then. Recasting, pay disputes, Iron Man 2 fall out. There'll be an amazing behind the scenes tell all someday about the MCU productions.

I seriously cant wait for something good produced about that

Top Bottom