• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Hmmm, which is it?

Honestly these threads have been annoying with this crap in recent weeks. Between straight trolls, in-jokes, and FUD from people looking to pick at various rivalries it's making stuff toxic. I pretty much only pay attention to KSwis and BGE for comments about relative performance at this point.

BumRush

Honestly these threads have been annoying with this crap in recent weeks. Between straight trolls, in-jokes, and FUD from people looking to pick at various rivalries it's making stuff toxic. I pretty much only pay attention to KSwis and BGE for comments about relative performance at this point.

I genuinely think that the majority of stuff in here is good natured and in no way bothers me. But looking to our saviors (Swiss and BGE) is never a bad decision.

Nolan will only reach God-Emperor Cameron status when he directs 5 sequels to Insomnia at the same time.

Give Mr. Nolan a blank check to make a Star Trek TNG movie. Harry Styles returns as Westly Crusher.

Yes. Give it to me.
Tom Hardy as super buff Picard. Christian Bale as Tasha Yar. Henry Cavill's mustache as William Ryker's beard.

berzeli

Banned
So Valerian is f-...ine?
Luc Besson’s Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets has been granted an August 25 China release date, Deadline has confirmed. China is a hoped-for key play on the expensive sci-fi epic, and this late August date means it will be one of the first imports allowed into the PROC after the traditional (if unofficial) summer blackout. An official announcement on the dating is expected tomorrow, after speculation had begun to emerge in the Middle Kingdom.
China saved Pacific Rim so you never know... (though let's be real, it probably won't help that much)

BGE and Swiss bring the numbers
Bobby brings the hope
I bring the REALITY

Bitch I'm Hopeman CUE THE MUSIC

And yeah, an opening north of Atomic Blonde is gonna make sense, but it's also gonna feel bad, I think. Still, the fact it won't cross 30 is sorta positive.

But it apparently cost about 50 or 60, so it'll make budget probably unless it completely cliffdives in week 2

EGM1966

Wait, where's this report that Dunkirk cost less than $100m?

Could have sworn I read a THR article yesterday that claimed otherwise.

Boxofficemojo now shows $100 million as updated by studio IIRC.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=chrisnolan2017.htm

Those associated with the film have noted multiple times its way below the $160 million mark of his recent films.

I'm not sure why it's such a surprise as it seems fair to me the film could be made for that unless I'm missing something:

• mainly practical effects using actual available Spitfires, boats, etc.
  • likely low salary for cast (excluding Nolan himself who got a big wedge)
  • clever use of simple effects - a number of articles I read in UK papers noted cardboard cut outs of distant objects were used as an easy, cheap option

I mean $100 million is still a tidy sum but the film's not that huge in its effects/sequences nor does it appear to be paying huge sums to big name starts.

Nolan and WB would surely have considered likely box office and other revenue when considering the budget and approach for Dunkirk and targeting a manageable budget would seem sensible to me.

Having said all that it'll probably turn out if cost more but it certainly seems doable to make it for that to me.

Homecoming is officially past both ASM films domestically
I decided to check out what Mendelson has written on this...

Now, adjusted for inflation, it still has a way to go, as the $262 million domestic total for the Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone melodrama would be around $297m today. It has a shot at crossing that arbitrary milestone, but it will depend on holding onto screens and getting kids into the theaters on weekend afternoons over the next month. At this point, $300m+ is a coin toss.

What a goof.

I don't see why it is hard to believe Dunkirk cost just $100 million.

Saving Private Ryan had a budget of $70 million (unadjusted) and that is with big name actors. Dunkirk has a lot of new names and there aren't visual effects laden scenes. There is no reason why it should cost as much as a Super Hero movie with star studded cast.

kswiston

I decided to check out what Mendelson has written on this...

What a goof.

A coin toss meaning that it will pass $300M by $10M on the low end. Dude should just admit to being wrong instead of shifting goal posts and doubling down NPD GAF style.

Edit: nothing is opening this weekend to cause a big slide. I think that Homecoming will see a 45% or better drop. Closer to 40% would be ideal if we are doing the Homecoming vs Suicide Squad race.

Lima

Get Valerian tickets as a backup.

Didn't have to. She loved it. Now we are back at her place (I'm posting this on my phone from the bathroom, feels like the start of a classic GAF thread lol).

Not only does Baby Driver have great legs, it's also a great leg opener.
giphy.gif

The person that wrote both crappy X-Men movies got paid 8m for each....

And people think Nolan is overpaid ?
This is better. A below average movie fades away. A truly awful movie is remembered.

That's why I'll be bummed if Justice league is like 20% better than BvS. That's just boring.

Wait. I definitely quoted the wrong post.

Didn't have to. She loved it. Now we are back at her place (I'm posting this on my phone from the bathroom, feels like the start of a classic GAF thread lol).

giphy.gif
Might as well just post it in advance.

P1QYppj.gif

Boke1879

giphy.gif

Ayyeeeeee

Bitch I'm Hopeman CUE THE MUSIC

don't worry fam Hans got u

Sometimes I think, you know, Bronson gets too much shit. This guy's alright.

You are alright.

You've done yourself a favor.

I knew I was on the right side of history

If it does, I am blaming you. LEGO Batman deserved to gross more. It still did well, but deserved better.

Don't blame me, I watched the movie!

On Vudu

With a free rental

Top Bottom