• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

qLGImNT.jpg
YrNDF19.jpg
ltHGd7C.jpg
AAW3sKr.jpg
ODuGt98.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
75% The Secret Life of Pets
9wcOG.gif
95% Finding Dory
8mB0Q.gif
36% The Legend of Tarzan
3Pj0x.gif
41% Mike and David Need Wedding Dates
5f4ew.gif
53% The Purge: Election Day
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
80% Sultan

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Secret Life of Pets’ Debuts to Massive $103.2 Million

“The Secret Life of Pets” dominated the weekend box office, racking up a massive $103.2 million and launching the first new franchise of the summer.

Its success is a feather in the cap for Illumination chief Chris Meledandri, confirming his status among the ranks of animation giants. The family film, which explores what dogs, cats, and other animal companions do while their owners are busy at work, cost an economical $75 million to produce, roughly half of what most studios spend making animated films. Universal is backing the film, which launched across 4,370 locations.

“The Secret Life of Pets” easily supplanted Disney and Pixar’s “Finding Dory” from first place on the box office charts — it has topped rankings for the three prior weeks. The sequel to “Finding Nemo” slid to second place with north of $20 million, having made more than $422 million to become the highest grossing film of the year on a domestic basis, lapping “Captain America: Civil War.” It also ranks as the highest grossing animated film domestically, unseating “Toy Story 3.”

The weekend’s other new release, Fox’s “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” opened to $16.6 million at 2,982 sites for a fourth place finish. The comedy about a pair of party animal brothers (Zac Efron and Adam DeVine) who enlist two women (Anna Kendrick and Aubrey Plaza) to accompany them to their sister’s wedding, cost $33 million to make.

“Pets” will post the sixth-best opening of 2016 following “Captain America: Civil War,” “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Finding Dory,” “Deadpool” and “The Jungle Book” — all members of the elite group of 39 titles that have opened with more than $100 million domestically. It’s also a new opening weekend domestic record for an original animated film, topping the $90.4 million launch of “Inside Out” last summer.

The “Pets” voice cast includes Louis C.K., Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper, Lake Bell, Dana Carvey, Hannibal Buress, Bobby Moynihan, Steve Coogan and Albert Brooks. “Despicable Me’s” Chris Renaud directs and Yarrow Cheney co-directs from a script by Cinco Paul, Ken Daurio and Brian Lynch.

“Pets” is the biggest opening of the year for Universal, which has struggled to replicate last year’s record-annihilating results. It’s also another success for Illumination, which opened “Minions” a year ago with $115 million on its way to a $336 million domestic total and $1.16 billion worldwide. Comcast, Universal’s parent company, is betting heavily in the animation space. It has a deal in place to buy DreamWorks Animation for $4.1 billion, with the hopes of challenging Disney’s dominance of the family film genre. Meledandri’s role is unclear — Universal backs Illumination — but Jeff Shell, chairman of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, has said he hopes that he will be the studio’s equivalent of John Lasseter, the creative guru at Pixar.

In fourth place, Warner Bros.’ “The Legend of Tarzan” picked up $20.6 million, bringing its stateside total to $81.4 million. Universal’s “The Purge: Election Year” rounded out the top five, adding $11.7 million to its $58.1 million domestic haul.

More to come…

Domestic Box Office:

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Sulik2

Blake Lively needs to be in Deadpool 2 to see if that over performing magic she and Ryan Reynolds seem to have going together can make D2 even huger. Shallows doing great in a summer of flops.

Tarzan is doing surprisingly well. Good hold. Nice job on Secret life of Pets. Keeping budgets down and having a $100 million opening weekend is a spectacular job for everyone involved in that movie.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Saw Tarzan yesterday. It was disappointing and I had already set my expectations low. Special effects were of a very poor quality. Lots of unnecessary CGI when it didn't need to be used and poor matting and green-screening when it was necessary...

Tarzan managed to claw it's way to a respectable total with a good hold this week. It won't a be a great success by any means but at least it's not in the Gods of Egypt range.

Arc

LOL @ Mike and Dave

Some serious bombing for Tarzan too (despite the hold), holy crap. $180 million budget pre-marketing for that???

jett

D-Member
Illumination raking it in. I've only seen one of their movies but it's nice to see an animation house succeeding without needing to spend the hundreds of millions that Disney/Pixar does, and with a new IP too.

And Tarzan putting in work.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Finding Dory - $643M
Civil War - $1.151B
The Jungle Book - $936M
Zootopia - $1.022B
Tarzan - $135M
Secret Life of Pets - $146M
The Conjuring 2 - $292M
Now You See Me 2 - $238M

Alrus

Impressive numbers for
Pets. Seeing the budget is pretty likely they spent more on marketing than on the movie heh.

Tarzan is not a mega bomb and had a decentish hold. If the budget wasn't as insane they might have made some money out of it...

Calamari41

41 > 38
Secret Life of Pets was very cute... Not a great story or anything, but tons of "Omg that's just like what *audience member's pet* does!" Definitely a crowd pleaser for kids. I can see them begging to go back for more.

Also, I've never seen anything with Minions before, but the short before Pets was pretty funny. I can see why that franchise has become a powerhouse.

kswiston

Illumination raking it in. I've only seen one of their movies but it's nice to see an animation house succeeding without needing to spend the hundreds of millions that Disney/Pixar does, and with a new IP too.

And Tarzan putting in work.

Illumination films have enormous marketing campaigns.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Has anyone seen Love & Friendship?

That's quite a good run at $13M for a film that had less than 300 theaters at its disposal for its widest release.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Thank Fuck Pets released, those "Welcome to my House" Flo-Rida ads were getting annoying

Measley

Pets wasn't that great. Clearly it benefitted from parents needing something new to take their kids to.

Too bad about the BFG. I didn't take my kids to see that movie because they thought the giants looked scary. Given its box office, its pretty clear that other parents were in the same boat.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Oh shit Ice Age Collision Course releases in 2 weeks...

Damn it is Animated Universe we are living in 2016

Then we have Sing left?

So many this year

Great on Pets for doing so well for a new animated franchise. The movie was great when I saw it and I can't wait to take my little brother to see it.

Definitely a good movie for kids to watch. I also enjoyed Kevin Heart voicing the bunny.

As far as animated films go, only Moana has my attention now.

Storks doesn't look very good, Sing has a good cast but the premise doesn't interest me, Trolls looks awful and if there is mercy in the world, Ice Age would bomb.

The first Ice Age had some really great emotional moments and every film since has devolved into the most unfunny, cringe-inducing animated franchise there is. I blame the sloth and those weasel things.

Scrat is still funny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom