• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
As far as animated films go, only Moana has my attention now.

Storks doesn't look very good, Sing has a good cast but the premise doesn't interest me, Trolls looks awful and if there is mercy in the world, Ice Age would bomb.

The first Ice Age had some really great emotional moments and every film since has devolved into the most unfunny, cringe-inducing animated franchise there is. I blame the sloth and those weasel things.

Scrat is still funny though.
Gah. My thoughts exactly.

Can't believe they're still going. I was 8 when the first came out. D:

KevinCow

Banned
I saw Secret Life of Pets with my sister and niece and it was pretty good. I mean the plot was literally Toy Story, but still, it was enjoyable.

So it's looking extremely likely that Ghostbusters will have to settle for the silver next weekend.

It has also been a while since OT's GenPop has come swarming into the BO thread to gloat and countergloat. Gonna be a ride.

I remember seeing trailers for pets as early as last year. The release seems perfectly timed for the summer breaks and parents out of new things to take their kids to. A week earlier, it dies. A week later, it dies.

Sanjuro

That is Adam Devine's job

HT7GRbd.gif

kswiston

It has also been a while since OT's GenPop has come swarming into the BO thread to gloat and countergloat. Gonna be a ride.

I remember seeing trailers for pets as early as last year. The release seems perfectly timed for the summer breaks and parents out of new things to take their kids to. A week earlier, it dies. A week later, it dies.

I don't really have a horse in the Ghostbusters race. I like the new take on Ghostbusters in theory, but I haven't really liked any of Feig's films outside of Bridesmaids.

If Ghostbusters is going to fizzle at the box office though, I hope it lands sub Tarzan. If Tarzan isn't going to be the box office bomb of the year, I want it to beat as many high profile films as possible.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't really have a horse in the Ghostbusters race. I like the new take on Ghostbusters in theory, but I haven't really liked any of Feig's films outside of Bridesmaids.

If Ghostbusters is going to fizzle at the box office though, I hope it lands sub Tarzan. If Tarzan isn't going to be the box office bomb of the year, I want it to beat as many high profile films as possible.

Ghostbusyets fall is going to be epic.

pixelation

Secret Life of Pets was very cute... Not a great story or anything, but tons of "Omg that's just like what *audience member's pet* does!" Definitely a crowd pleaser for kids. I can see them begging to go back for more.

Also, I've never seen anything with Minions before, but the short before Pets was pretty funny. I can see why that franchise has become a powerhouse.

I wanna see it because of the secretly metal loving poodle.

starmud

Semi positive for BFG, it played stronger than expected on the weekdays... While underperforming it's hanging on. International take for the movie will be interesting...

GhaleonEB

The Shallows is quietly doing fantastic, especially given it's budget.

What a debut for Pets. I'll probably see it this week with one of my kids, but I'm kind of dreading it, TBH.

kswiston

What a debut for Pets. I'll probably see it this week with one of my kids, but I'm kind of dreading it, TBH.

I have no real interest to see the film, but I might end up taking my daughter at some point. There's nothing else that she can really go see (and that I am willing to subject myself to) for months after Pets.

MrV4ltor

Holy shit forgot those 3...

Fucking unreal how many there are this year

Then there's also Kubo and the Two Strings and Sausage Party for the rest of the year.
Next Year's gonna be insane too:
The LEGO Batman Movie - Warner Bros
The Boss Baby - Dreamworks
Smurfs: The Lost Village - Sony
Captain Underpants - Dreamworks
Cars 3 - Pixar
Despicable Me 3 - Illumination
Ferdinand - Blue Sky
Emojimovie: Express Yourself - Sony
Coco - Pixar
The Star - Sony
The Croods 2 - Dreamworks
And those are just movies from the big(ger) animation studios.

Same. I told my daughter I'd take her this weekend but I am draaaaagging my feet.

Jonm1010

Banned
Saw Tarzan yesterday. It was disappointing and I had already set my expectations low. Special effects were of a very poor quality. Lots of unnecessary CGI when it didn't need to be used and poor matting and green-screening when it was necessary...

Really has me worried for Fantastic Beasts. I already thought this directors Harry Potter movies were deeply flawed outside of the performances.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Really has me worried for Fantastic Beasts. I already thought this directors Harry Potter movies were deeply flawed outside of the performances.

The way the later HP movies are directed is bland as shit. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone who hasn't read the books can enjoy them.

I can't believe Tarzan is doing so well. And I guess Warcraft will slip down from the list next week, the WW gross is just past what we were told would be the "break-even" point. What are the chances of a sequel? Even though it's gonna be in Mandarin anyway..

GhaleonEB

I have no real interest to see the film, but I might end up taking my daughter at some point. There's nothing else that she can really go see (and that I am willing to subject myself to) for months after Pets.

Same. I told my daughter I'd take her this weekend but I am draaaaagging my feet.

I'm actually more interested in the BFG, but it got a giant 'no thanks' from both of my kids. I'm like, it's Spielberg! And Roald Dahl! That...did not resonate. Having a daughter that loves animals made it inevitable, really.

3N16MA

Banned
Tarzan is the biggest story this weekend. Bigger than Pets (family films have been raking all year).

Yates has worked his magic once again to deliver a crowd pleasing blockbuster.

Dori already dethroaned? That was quick.

It was expected. There was no way Dory was topping Pets during its 3rd weekend.

In terms of Animated films, there's also this really terrible looking "Robin Crusoe told from animals" film I saw before Secret Life when I saw it last night.

Like, I get why there's all these animated films but dear god so many of them have sucked/will suck this year most likely. Norm of the North is an abomination of Mankind, Ice Age should have died years ago, DreamWorks feels like they've been in a rut since HtTYD2, Storks looks terrible as an idea, Sing looks passable(why the hell are they animals? What literal point does help beyond marketing?)

Literally, I think the only 3 studios that have been doing well animation recently is Disney, Pixar, and Illumination, though I'd still put Illumination a tier below Disney/Pixar.

And then there's Laika, over there making Stop motion like it never went out of style.

Salex_

Then there's also Kubo and the Two Strings and Sausage Party for the rest of the year.
Next Year's gonna be insane too:

And those are just movies from the big(ger) animation studios.

WHAT? A Captain Underpants movie? Man, this was one of the books that everyone used to buy during book fair. I might have to see that just for the nostalgia alone.

It's pretty obvious that ID4-3 needs The Rock or Kevin Hart or both if it wants to happen.

Would be an improvement over the cast in Resurgence.

I'm actually more interested in the BFG, but it got a giant 'no thanks' from both of my kids. I'm like, it's Spielberg! And Roald Dahl! That...did not resonate. Having a daughter that loves animals made it inevitable, really.

Yeah I'm right there with you. My daughter couldn't care less about that movie...and she's read the book! They really missed the mark with that one, not sure if it's the style or the way it was marketed but man, what a miss it has turned out to be.

3N16MA

Banned
Universal/Illumination spends 75M per film and who knows how much on marketing. Pets rivals Dory for having its name plastered on everything.

Raxus

Glad Tarzan held. Movie deserves a little more love than it is getting.

As far as parents dreading to go see pets. It isn't as bad as the trailers. Heck there is even a few funny parts you might enjoy. All in all it is a forgettable movie engineered in an evil lab that kids want to inject into their veins.

You forget Sausage Party...like most people probably will.

I wouldn't blame them for doing so. That movie seems to only pride itself on being an edgelord "adult" animated film and little else.

I'm not calling for the film to fail, but gonna be disappointed if it's hugely successful to be honest. We could stand to have more animated films for adult audiences and I don't want to speak ill of the animation studio that was contracted for it...but man, nearly everything about it from its trailers and leaked script just seems it's being offensive or disgusting for the sake of it. It overall comes off as absolutely juvenile.

Holy shit, there's a Captain Underpants movie on the docket?

Wonder if they'll keep Harold gay, like in the books.

When did this happen? Is it in the recent books? I haven't followed them since the series went on that really long hiatus.

Tarzan doing much better than expected. Maybe it's the crowd that doesn't want see a kids film, yet wants to see something decent at the theater that gave it legs. I still don't know if ID4 is going to hit $100 million or not domestically.

Next week's thread is sure to be gold though.

And wow at the Purge still making bank.

3N16MA

Banned
Tarzan doing much better than expected. Maybe it's the crowd that doesn't want see a kids film, yet wants to see something decent at the theater that gave it legs. I still don't know if ID4 is going to hit $100 million or not domestically.

Next week's thread is sure to be gold though.

And wow at the Purge still making bank.

I believe ID4 will hit 100M DOM. Pacific Rim did another 17.6M after its third weekend and ID4 only needs to do half that to hit 100M.

BumRush

Saw dory today with my wife and 2 year old and thought it was great. More fun, less emotional than nemo. Moana looks absolutely stunning on the big screen though. I have a feeling that's going to be pretty big.

And people complain about super hero films.

There are too many talking animal films, and I like a good talking animal film.

New Ice Age in a couple of weeks.

JdFoX187

Banned
Tarzan putting in some work. I'm impressed. Despite the reviews and my own reservations, I really enjoyed the film -- poor CG work aside. If they could tone down the budget, lay off some of the CG and hone the story, I bet a sequel could do really well. I love the old Tarzan movies and this one had a lot in common with that old fashioned adventure feel, but they just went too ridiculous with the large CG animal finale in the finale. It was unneeded and probably one of the reasons the budget was so ridiculous.

The wife and I are thinking about seeing Pets Tuesday, but not sure. I've never seen any of the Minions films, but the trailers looked really funny to me, for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom