• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
That China issue might kill interest in a sequel. Why try to make a blockbuster out of something when you can't even release in the second biggest market?

Nipo

The movie's production budget is $144 million, with at least $100 million more spent on ads/distribution. That's $244 million right there. Studios typically only get 50% of a film's box office gross, so there's your $500 million breakeven point.

Haven't seen the movie but what was product placement like? That can account for a significant amount of money now.

But you're right everything I've read said the movie ends up breaking even on home video not in theaters. Way too much money was spent on this.

kswiston

Disney will break through the $2B domestic mark for 2016 this weekend. Last year it took them until around XMas to hit the same milestone.

Disney has made close to double the second place studio to date in 2016 (Fox at less than $1.1B).

It's looking like Dory won't be nearly as big overseas as it is domestic. I think that $1B will happen, since the domestic total will get it around half way there, but I doubt that it will challenge Frozen or Minions.

Get that $

Next up, The Hunger Games!

Not in China. All 4 Hunger games films combined grossed about $11M more than NYSM2 on its own. Terminator Genisys outgrossed the entire series. They are C-tier films in China.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Not in China. All 4 Hunger games films combined grossed about $11M more than NYSM2 on its own. Terminator Genisys outgrossed the entire series. They are C-tier films in China.

The Hunger Games feat. Arnold, Sylvester & Zhang Ziyi

Now that's China A-tier

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Passengers & The Magnificent Seven could be game changers for SONY, though the latter is considered an MGM film, but still..... at least they didn't get Ben-Hur amirite?

Prompto

Banned
They spent $80M on Spanglish and followed it up with $120M spent on How Do You Know.
I knew about How Do You Know costing that much already but lol at Spanglish costing $80M. Like I don't even see how's that possible considering Adam Sandler is the only big star in it. Both are directed by the same guy too so maybe he's the problem.

I knew about How Do You Know costing that much already but lol at Spanglish costing $80M. Like I don't even see how's that possible considering Adam Sandler is the only big star in it. Both are directed by the same guy too so maybe he's the problem.

Sandler takes $60M. He's a huge star! :p

kswiston

Ya, James Brooks did his part to drive up costs in production. However, How Do You Know had $50M in sunk costs for the director and 4 leads. It was never going to be cheap, which is part of the problem.

kswiston

Secret Life of Pets was well ahead of Ghostbusters on Saturday.

My guess is that the Ghostbusters weekend estimate will be $46M

Secret Life of Pets will be somewhere around $49-50M

So Ghostbusters 2016 at best will break even but unless it does amazing over seas it's basically a bomb since it will likely lose money? Not a big bomb but a disappointment none the less.

NR1

Sony doesn't have a clue how to handle this franchise or any franchise for that matter. It just amazes me how they squander this property.

They really need to take a hard look at Disney with Marvel and Star Wars. That is how you leverage billion dollar properties properly. Disney clearly respects the property and knows what they fans want.

What really surprised me is why they went the all-female route with this since it is a toy selling property. I got nothing against the female cast, but haven't we heard time and again from toy makers that female character toys don't sell to little boys--- the target demographic? That's the surprising thing to me, for that reason alone I would have expected Sony to veto that idea alone. Maximize profits and such.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) The Secret Life of Pets - $50.6M - $203M total
2) Ghostbusters - $46M
3) The Legend of Tarzan - $11.1M - $103M total
4) Finding Dory - $11.0M - $446M (highest grossing animated film of all time domestic)
5) Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $7.5M - $31M total
6) The Purge: Election Year - $6.1M - $71M total
7) Central Intelligence - $5.3M - $118M total
8) The Infiltrator - $5.3M
9) The BFG - $3.7M - $47M total
10) Independence Day Resurgence - $3.5M - $99M total

EDIT: Finding Dory is now at $722M worldwide.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) The Secret Life of Pets - $50.6M - $203M total
2) Ghostbusters - $46M
3) The Legend of Tarzan - $11.1M - $103M total
4) Finding Dory - $11.0M - $446M (highest grossing animated film of all time domestic)
5) Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $7.5M - $31M total
6) The Purge: Election Year - $6.1M - $71M total
7) Central Intelligence - $5.3M - $118M total
8) The Infiltrator - $5.3M
9) The BFG - $3.7M - $47M total
10) Independence Day Resurgence - $3.5M - $99M total

EDIT: Finding Dory is now at $722M worldwide.
So Ghostbusters is just a disappointment, not a bomba.

Oh, who am I kidding? Everyone is going to be throwing around the word anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom