• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tarzan's hold is good, but man #2 at $20 million feels like a super weak box office.

Be interesting to see if Ghostbusters takes #1 next week our if Pets holds on.

Toothless

The Shallows is quietly doing fantastic, especially given it's budget.

What a debut for Pets. I'll probably see it this week with one of my kids, but I'm kind of dreading it, TBH.

I have no real interest to see the film, but I might end up taking my daughter at some point. There's nothing else that she can really go see (and that I am willing to subject myself to) for months after Pets.

FWIW, I've disliked all of Illumination's films so far but it was actually pretty fun. Definitely better than Angry Birds and KFP3 imo and thus middle of the pack for animated movies so far this year.

Bravo to Illumination btw. Just as impressive as Jungle Book taking 100M out of nowhere earlier this year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wouldn't blame them for doing so. That movie seems to only pride itself on being an edgelord "adult" animated film and little else.

I'm not calling for the film to fail, but gonna be disappointed if it's hugely successful to be honest. We could stand to have more animated films for adult audiences and I don't want to speak ill of the animation studio that was contracted for it...but man, nearly everything about it from its trailers and leaked script just seems it's being offensive or disgusting for the sake of it. It overall comes off as absolutely juvenile.
So what you're saying is, it's a Seth Rogen project. He thrives on juvenile faux-mature content.

Like, I get why there's all these animated films but dear god so many of them have sucked/will suck this year most likely. Norm of the North is an abomination of Mankind, Ice Age should have died years ago, DreamWorks feels like they've been in a rut since HtTYD2, Storks looks terrible as an idea, Sing looks passable(why the hell are they animals? What literal point does help beyond marketing?)
I think in many ways, Illumination movies are scientifically designed for marketing.

Eidan

Illumination raking it in. I've only seen one of their movies but it's nice to see an animation house succeeding without needing to spend the hundreds of millions that Disney/Pixar does, and with a new IP too.

And Tarzan putting in work.
Motherfucker, MINIONS.

I saw Pets as a third wheel with my friend and his GF. Reallllly didn't like it. It felt completely phoned in and really just met the bare minimum requirements for an animated kids film. That said I wasn't the target audience and the kids in the audience were laughing at a lot of the physical humor. The only good part of the movie for me was the bunny.

Rlan

Anyone think Ice Age 5 os gonna be a hit?

I swear this franchise needs to end. Even fucking Shrek ended at 4.

Technically the Shrek series continued for a bit with Puss In Boots. Having a world a fairy tales is a neat idea that could go for a while, but they were already scraping the bottom of the barrel with the 4th one where it went all Sonic 2006 and never happened.

Koppai

The Secret Life of Pets had me and my friends laughing, and we are all almost 30 years old. However, my friend pointed out what he thought may have been a racist joke from the bunny "The raccoon is lying, he wasn't the president" so totally random though.

mreddie

I have bad news for you. After that Comcast deal it's been all but confirmed Shrek's getting more movies.

Nah, I see Comcast pushing Illumination more. Plus the deal starts in 2018 so unless it's a reboot, I doubt anyone will care for a Shrek 5.

3N16MA

Banned
Nah, I see Comcast pushing Illumination more. Plus the deal starts in 2018 so unless it's a reboot, I doubt anyone will care for a Shrek 5.

The founder and CEO of Illumination is now running DreamWorks Animation. Also it has been confirmed that Shrek is coming back.

Edwins

The whole reason they bought DreamWorks was for the franchises. It could be a reboot, but sequels to older animated movies can fair well (insert nostalgia drug quip here). Toy Story 3 is a prime example, and there's this fish film that just came out that's a sequel to a movie that released before Shrek 2. I hear it's doing quite well. Another Shrek will happen.

kswiston

Shrek 5 will be a 10 years later deal.

Also, even the shitty 4th Shrek film made a ton of money. I am sure the next one will do well with some breathing room. By the time it releases, we'll be in the midst of 2000s nostalgia.

Shrek 5 will be a 10 years later deal.

Also, even the shitty 4th Shrek film made a ton of money. I am sure the next one will do well with some breathing room. By the time it releases, we'll be in the midst of 2000s nostalgia.
Me at that time:
297.png

Edwins

Ghostbusters will probably need to do a fair bit more than it's tracking to do in order to get #1. I wouldn't think Pets would drop off a cliff (tracking for GB has been less than half of what Pets did this weekend).

J2 Cool

Knew Pets was going to do gangbusters. Also knew it would work better as a commercial almost than a movie. They really killed it with that budget

When did this happen? Is it in the recent books? I haven't followed them since the series went on that really long hiatus.

The two kids go into the future and meet their grown up selves. Both are married, one to a woman, one to a man. They also both have kids. So the kids haven't shown any sexual preferences in the regular books in the present time, but it is obvious that when puberty finally hits, one will be straight and one will be gay.

kswiston

Disney passed $5B worldwide for 2016 to date. They are within a week of passing $2B domestic for the year so far.

Disney's previous record year was last year with $2.28B domestic and $5.85B worldwide through the end of December.

Universal holds the annual domestic and worldwide records at $2.45B and $6.89B respectively.

Finaj

Disney passed $5B worldwide for 2016 to date. They are within a week of passing $2B domestic for the year so far.

Disney's previous record year was last year with $2.28B domestic and $5.85B worldwide through the end of December.

Universal holds the annual domestic and worldwide records at $2.45B and $6.89B respectively.

With Moana and Rogue One, I can see Disney breaking that record.

Slayven

You hear about all these tech companies getting brought for billions of dollars after never have making a profit. Disney brought marvel for table scraps and changed the entertainment world.

You hear about all these tech companies getting brought for billions of dollars after never have making a profit. Disney brought marvel for table scraps and changed the entertainment world.

Them grabbing Marvel for 4 billion back then seemed like a good deal, now it looks like a fucking steal and a half

Same with Lucasarts

kswiston

With Moana and Rogue One, I can see Disney breaking that record.

Their current films (mostly Dory) should be good for at least $500M more, so basically, their slate for the rest of the year will need to cumulatively gross $1.3B (or a bit less) to break the record.

They still have Pete's Dragon, Doc Strange, Moana, a few small films, and whatever Rogue One can do in those first 15 days.

It's impossible for them to miss the domestic record at this point. Moana, Doc Strange, and three weekends of Rogue One aren't going to cumulatively gross less than $400M, even if Dory's legs are worse than expected and the rest of the films gross $0,

BumRush

Their current films (mostly Dory) should be good for at least $500M more, so basically, their slate for the rest of the year will need to cumulatively gross $1.3B (or a bit less) to break the record.

They still have Pete's Dragon, Doc Strange, Moana, a few small films, and whatever Rogue One can do in those first 15 days.

It's impossible for them to miss the domestic record at this point. Moana, Doc Strange, and three weekends of Rogue One aren't going to cumulatively gross less than $400M, even if Dory's legs are worse than expected and the rest of the films gross $0,

Yeah, both of those records are going down...way before rogue one

kswiston

SLOP is gonna drop 60% next week. Kristen Wiig will not be denied!

Kristen Wiig has been denied more times at the box office than the Hemsworth brothers. Once more won't make a difference.

Also, I think there's a decent chance that Pets increases with the actuals. Saturday was higher than Friday proper, and they are forecasting a fairly conservative Sunday drop.

Son Of D

100% chance. I thought it would lose some ground in weekend #2 due to July 4th last week, but Tarzan's second Fri to Mon will be higher than ID4Rs even with the holiday.

Okay, hands up. Who honestly and realistically called this scenario?

It'll be 10 years later and use a slow piano version of All Star for the trailers.

Subitai

Angry Joe liked Tarzan.

I think when people find out it doesn't begin with the origin story they get more intrigued.

wachie

What's the barometer of success for GB? I'm talking in terms of opening weekend/domestic total/WW total.

I'm thinking 60M/150M/350M.

kswiston

What's the barometer of success for GB? I'm talking in terms of opening weekend/domestic total/WW total.

I'm thinking 60M/150M/350M.

Success success, or just not a disaster?

Realistically, the measure of success for a $160M tentpole film is getting a sequel. I think that $175M domestic and $450M worldwide is the lower end of me having no doubts that a sequel is coming.

$150M DOM/$350M WW or $125M DOM/$400M WW is that nebulous "not a disaster" level of success that Pacific Rim, Terminator Genisys, Mad Max Fury Road, and The Edge of Tomorrow find themselves in. Seeing a sequel to a film in that range isn't hugely surprising, but it's not a studio priority, and not entirely surprising if that sequel never comes.

MMFR and Edge of Tomorrow absolutely NEED sequals.

While I would absolutely love more Mad Max, the bar was set exceptionally high, perhaps unrealistically high with Fury Road.

And as much as I loved Edge of Tomorrow, I don't know how well a sequel would work. It seemed pretty one and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom