• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

I think I saw the Lorax and a few random minutes of Despicable Me 1. That's about the extent of my experience with Illumination. I'm thinking of seeing Pets this weekend, but my expectations going in are low.

Probably healthy. It's really not bad, my daughter had a good time. The audience laughed a lot. Like the pets it depicts it's pretty eager to please.

The short in front of it is very...Illumination, for lack of a better term.

RedFyn

I saw pets tonight. The commercials didn't do anything for me but I really enjoyed it; more than Dory actually which I thought was fine but fell short of the first by a wide margin and was just kind of flat. Pets might be my favorite animated movie of the year surprisingly.
zootopia was...meh

kswiston

Around $15M for Secret Life of Pets on Tuesday based on early estimates.

Tarzan continues to do well. It should break $100M this weekend. It should also pass ID4R this weekend.

Dory took a big hit from Secret Life of Pets. Weekday drops continue to be over 50% from last week, falling under Toy Story 3 on some days. $500M will be more of a crawl than expected pre-Pets.

Tarzan is doing surprisingly well all things considered. I thought it was going to perform way way worse.

If they had kept the budget in check and not let it balloon like crazy the movie could have actually been a solid success.

kswiston

Any updated tracking or early numbers for Ghostbusters yet?

$40-50M. Better than last week. Pets is still expected to come in first, but at least that gives Ghostbusters a shot if it beats tracking and pets is closer to Minions than other big animated films in its second weekend drop.

I saw pets tonight. The commercials didn't do anything for me but I really enjoyed it; more than Dory actually which I thought was fine but fell short of the first by a wide margin and was just kind of flat. Pets might be my favorite animated movie of the year surprisingly.
zootopia was...meh

I must be crazy in hating it. I've seen praise everywhere and I just thought it was awful.

kswiston

Ghostbusters would probably be impossible yo censor properly for China given their stance on supernatural things.

Boxoffice.com is sticking to $56M for Ghostubusters opening, predicting a first place finish. Deadline is saying $5-10M lower.

BumRush

Around $15M for Secret Life of Pets on Tuesday based on early estimates.

Tarzan continues to do well. It should break $100M this weekend. It should also pass ID4R this weekend.

Dory took a big hit from Secret Life of Pets. Weekday drops continue to be over 50% from last week, falling under Toy Story 3 on some days. $500M will be more of a crawl than expected pre-Pets.

I really hope it gets there. I thought dory was a well thought out film rather than the cash grab it could have been

As good as Ghostbusters' critical reception has been, I'm worried that the poor US trailers will keep people away, like Edge Of Tomorrow.

Ghostbusters is a bigger IP, but still... It'll probably have decent legs.

I think I fell asleep twice during Pets. It was incredibly unfunny...the story was also just a ripoff of Toy Story and it seemed like they were making pop culture references for the sake of doing them (matrix reloaded, super mario). It just seemed incredibly lazy.

I think I fell asleep twice during Pets. It was incredibly unfunny...the story was also just a ripoff of Toy Story and it seemed like they were making pop culture references for the sake of doing them (matrix reloaded, super mario). It just seemed incredibly lazy.

Illumination is the new early era Dreamworks? A few monster hit films that won't hold up as well over time, much like the Shrek films?
Of course, if Illumination were to put out something near as good as the How to Train Your Dragon films, it would be nice.
But for now, they make entertaining fluff, but I don't see much of it aging well.

kswiston

Illumination is the new early era Dreamworks? A few monster hit films that won't hold up as well over time, much like the Shrek films?
Of course, if Illumination were to put out something near as good as the How to Train Your Dragon films, it would be nice.
But for now, they make entertaining fluff, but I don't see much of it aging well.

You don't see their upcoming film, featuring animals that sing 2010's Top 40 music, aging well?!?!

:p

I really want How to train your dragon 3 to come out already so I can stop giving a crap about DreamWorks.

Comcast is just going to have them make the same Entertainment fluff they have Illumination making.

The How to Train Your Dragon films are the anomaly in Dreamworks animation's filmography. Most of it is just easily dismissed fluff, but those are still extremely well made and put together.

The Aardman stuff I don't count in it, because that is Aardman. I have yet to see Croods or Rise of the Guardians, but Croods is Chris Sanders, which gives me hope. But a majority of their output is just middle of the road at best.

Went to see Tarzan today and it was fantastic.

I'm hoping for a sequel and even David Yates seems hopeful :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzfT1k0ipI

5ca5599b1ee22e854d4e03068059382e.gif

kswiston

First tracking for Suicide Squad has it opening around 125 million

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-suicide-squad-tracking-911029

If that happens, outgrossing BvS would be on the table. Depending on Pets legs and how the other animated films do this year, we could end up with a situation where BvS is left clinging to the bottom of the Domestic Top 10 of 2016.

Crazy to think that a lot of people had it gunning for the title back in December or January.

Blackhead

Redarse
The How to Train Your Dragon Kung Fu Panda films are the anomaly in Dreamworks animation's filmography. Most of it is just easily dismissed fluff, but those are still extremely well made and put together.

The Aardman stuff I don't count in it, because that is Aardman. I have yet to see Croods or Rise of the Guardians, but Croods is Chris Sanders, which gives me hope. But a majority of their output is just middle of the road at best.

Ftfy

Penguin

If that happens, outgrossing BvS would be on the table. Depending on Pets legs and how the other animated films do this year, we could end up with a situation where BvS is left clinging to the bottom of the Domestic Top 10 of 2016.

Crazy to think that a lot of people had it gunning for the title back in December or January.

Sure some will say they knew, but honestly don't think anyone expecting it to get savaged in reviews the way it did.

Even if it was more mixed would have done better

Just saw Lights Out. I was surprised how good the atmosphere was. It was scary and had a dark mood. Dialog was cheesy, it was full of typical horror cliches and too many jump scares... but I enjoyed it. Better than the average mainstream American horror movie (Ouija, The Boy and such). It's probably going to do well in the theatres.

3/5

kswiston

I am thinking around the $100m mark as well. Either way, we are going to see an August record, and finally a $100m+ one. That would leave January, September, and October as the only months without $100m openers.

September doesnt even have a $50M opener yet.

About $11M for Pets on Wednesday. It's looking likely to pass $200M this weekend.

kswiston

Now You See Me 2 has made $94M in China. The Chinese Yuan has gone down against the USD in recent months, but it actually beat BvS in local currency.

Independence Day Resurgence is at $75M in China. Both it and NYSM2 are wrapping up their runs.

TMNT2 is at $55M in China, and should at least top the gross of the first film there ($62M).

Finding Dory will finish its Chinese Run with $38M. China isn't very big on Pixar.

Tarzan is the next major Hollywood release in China, coming out next Tuesday.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Don't give Vinny ideas...

lol

Now You See Me 2 has made $94M in China. The Chinese Yuan has gone down against the USD in recent months, but it actually beat BvS in local currency.

That's quite a fantastic run there for NYSM2 - if it's able to get $100M more from other territories (South Korea, France, Mexico, UK, Germany, Japan) , Lionsgate will certainly press forward with a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom