• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I hate you vinny
You and your damn, dirty ape sympathizer movie!

tumblr_nz50sqCEHM1rjn473o1_500.gif

The power of Eric Northman.

Amen

vinnygambini

Vinny gets the news about Tarzan the same day Allegient releases on home video. It is his day.

Got my home video release of Allegiant yesterday :D

Gotta support the Divergent series! Divergent usually starts shooting in early summer (June) but haven't begun yet, kinda nervous for Ascendant. Hoping for the best.

kswiston

Rth is saying $17-19M for Ghostbusters today based on early numbers. Independence Day Resurgence made just under $17M with bigger Thursday previews, so we're probably looking at high 40s/low 50s for Ghostbusters depending on Saturday's hold.

He also has second Friday for pets at $14.5-$16M.

Stage On

Rth is saying $17-19M for Ghostbusters today based on early numbers. Independence Day Resurgence made just under $17M with bigger Thursday previews, so we're probably looking at high 40s/low 50s for Ghostbusters depending on Saturday's hold.

He also has second Friday for pets at $14.5-$16M.

At the theater I work at Pets easily beat out Ghostbusters for the amount of people going to see it on Friday so I wouldn't be surprised to see Pets come out on top for the weekend.

kswiston

At the theater I work at Pets easily beat out Ghostbusters for the amount of people going to see it on Friday so I wouldn't be surprised to see Pets come out on top for the weekend.

It looks like Ghostbusters is coming in lower than initially expected on Friday. $50M isnt going to happen and pets will win the weekend.

Tarzan continues to hold well. Dory dips harder than expected again. It's now looking like $500M isnt as locked as it seemed 2 weeks ago. If things continue as they have in the past 10 days, $480-490M might be more likely.

Saw Tarzan yesterday. It went in one ear and out the other. Nothing memorable, muddled plot with few stand out plot-points, flat scenes with not much purpose and not a lot of physicality.

Not to mention that Skarsgård is such a one note actor, much like his father.

Saw Tarzan yesterday. It went in one ear and out the other. Nothing memorable, muddled plot with few stand out plot-points, flat scenes with not much purpose and not a lot of physicality.

Not to mention that Skarsgård is such a one note actor, much like his father.

giphy.gif

Wanda/AMC to buy Odeon & UCI Cinemas (Europe's largest movie theater operator)

20160714Wanda_large_580.png

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/China-s-Wanda-expanding-cinema-empire-with-Europe-deal

AMC theaters are the fucking worst around here. They show about 5 minutes more commercials than other local theaters, while also costing more, having shittier/smaller seats, and worse screens. The AMC I go to the most around here also has a couple of smaller rooms with way smaller screens, and they don't distinguish between them. It's always fun to pay full price and then realize you're on one of their smaller screens!

Replicant

Tarzan was boring. ID4 redux was okay. Ghostbusters was good and entertaining.

Looking forward to Secret Life of Pets and Lights Out next.

What does GB need to do dom+int to turn a profit / ensure a sequel?

For one with the same budget/team, more than it is. It's not looking like a bomb, but it's looking like it's going to struggle to make any real profit. I think it's too big a franchise for Sony to give up though and it's going to come close enough to not be considered a total failure. What I anticipate, if the numbers hold, is that a sequel will likely come in with a much more conservative budget and be a smaller film, or they will retool the cast/director, by say having half the team go to Europe and team up with some male Ghostbusters or some such.

But to the numbers, I believe GB had a production budget around 144M and estimated marketing of 100M. So at least 250M total is needed.

Takao

Banned
What does GB need to do dom+int to turn a profit / ensure a sequel?

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html

As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie. “A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,” he says.

I realistically don't see that happening. Even if it has great legs in the US and pulls $200 million total, I can't see it grossing $300 million internationally. Comedies don't travel well and none of Feig's previous movies have had a split like that. No help from China here either. This is rough for Sony. They have like a half dozen different Ghostbusters projects in various stages of development.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Ghostbusters - $17.2M
2) The Secret Life of Pets - $15.1M - $168M total
3) Finding Dory - $3.3M - $438M total
4) The Legend of Tarzan - $3.3M - $95M total
5) Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $2.4M - $26M total

Tarzan passes ID4R today.

Yeah, gonna be interesting to see what Sony does with the GB franchise after this. It's certainly not a bomb, but there's no way it's making much of a profit, if it does at all. Will it just be the end, will there be a direct sequel, will there be a spin-off?

vinnygambini

Yeah, gonna be interesting to see what Sony does with the GB franchise after this. It's certainly not a bomb, but there's no way it's making much of a profit, if it does at all. Will it just be the end, will there be a direct sequel, will there be a spin-off?

No sequel. Crossover with Channing Tatum!

Early weekend estimates
Saturday Report: Sony / Columbia reports this morning that director Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters reboot took in an estimated $17.2 million on opening day Friday, including Thursday night’s $3.4 million haul. By comparison, that figure comes in 32 percent short of 22 Jump Street‘s $25.15 million opening day in June 2014. That being said, yesterday’s opening does reflect good news for the studio after months of controversy from online fans. Ultimately, the general audience word of mouth will determine where the film can go from here. The studio reports it earned an “A-” CinemaScore from crowds under the age of 25 and a “B+” overall. For now though, the first day take is respectable in its own right. Boxoffice is currently projecting an opening weekend in the realm of $43 million, which would land it in second place for the three-day period.

Slipping to second place temporarily on Friday was The Secret Life of Pets, picking up another $15.06 million as it dropped 61 percent from last week’s opening day. By comparison, Minions slipped 68 percent on its second Friday last year, while Despicable Me 2 dropped 56 percent on its comparable Friday three years ago. Friday’s take gives Pets an eight-day domestic total of $167.65 million, putting it 13 percent ahead of the pace of Pixar’s Inside Out and 7 percent behind Illumination’s own Minions. We’re projecting a sophomore frame of $50.5 million, which would score the animated blockbuster another first place victory.
http://pro.boxoffice.com/early-week...ng-dory-set-pass-shrek-2-time-animated-champ/

bort

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-weekend-box-office-1201787149/

16.9 friday according to deadline now and a 44.5m weekend

a number of rival sources consider anything in the $40M range to be a mediocre start for this reboot. Anything north of $50M is ideally safer.

“It’s not a bomb,” said one non-Sony executive today, “a bomb would be an opening in the $20M range. However, a start such as this really puts more pressure on overseas delivering.”

Abounder

Banned
Those numbers plus the China ban spells death (or another coma) for the Ghostbusters film franchise. Might live on in the small screen with a much different cast and crew to boot

I realistically don't see that happening. Even if it has great legs in the US and pulls $200 million total, I can't see it grossing $300 million internationally. Comedies don't travel well and none of Feig's previous movies have had a split like that. No help from China here either. This is rough for Sony. They have like a half dozen different Ghostbusters projects in various stages of development.

For one with the same budget/team, more than it is. It's not looking like a bomb, but it's looking like it's going to struggle to make any real profit. I think it's too big a franchise for Sony to give up though and it's going to come close enough to not be considered a total failure. What I anticipate, if the numbers hold, is that a sequel will likely come in with a much more conservative budget and be a smaller film, or they will retool the cast/director, by say having half the team go to Europe and team up with some male Ghostbusters or some such.

But to the numbers, I believe GB had a production budget around 144M and estimated marketing of 100M. So at least 250M total is needed.

So which one is it?

Why would it need to turn $500 milly?

Yeah, like I said before, $400 million tops is their best bet for a comedy, and that'll be an uphill battle.

I expect a second film with a more modest budget.

So which one is it?

Forge's numbers don't take into account that studios don't get all the revenue from ticket sales.

Takao

Banned
So which one is it?

The movie's production budget is $144 million, with at least $100 million more spent on ads/distribution. That's $244 million right there. Studios typically only get 50% of a film's box office gross, so there's your $500 million breakeven point.

bort

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-melissa-mccarthy-kristen-wiig-kate-mckinnon-weekend-box-office-preview-the-infiltrator-bryan-cranston-1201785316/

Ghostbusters is a huge gamble for the franchise-starved Sony, which is hoping in some form or fashion that the reboot works for a new generation. The Culver City-based studio has spent an estimated $144M after rebates and tax credits, and about the same on P&A.

also have to remember that sony is kinda struggling

a 700 million spider-man was considered a bomb and they had to do their deal with marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom