• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•04-06•13 - Gravity takes Justin Timberlake's latest vehicle down

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

IYlS0PO.jpg
HSib9SL.jpg
Jvln290.jpg
Q39zE76.jpg
zmfkgDt.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
Cfk79.gif
98% Gravity
eptv7.gif
59% Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
8mB0Q.gif
08% Runner Runner
8vteV.gif
80% Prisoners
0hJB1.gif
88% Rush (2013)
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
53% Pulling Strings
-
-
-
-
-
lX1NeLC.gif
n/a Grace Unplugged

metacritic box office:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘Gravity’ Soars With Record $55 Million October Launch. Fox's 'Runner Runner' underperforms with $7.6 million domestic opening

In a record-setting debut, Warner Bros.’ 3D space epic “Gravity” scored a starry estimated $55.6 million, of which mega-screen exhib Imax — a significant partner on the film, considering the push the studio gave helmer Alfonso Cuaron’s cutting-edge filmmaking — contributed $11.2 million domestically. Both totals were records for October.

The overall three-day gross for “Gravity,” boosted by a whopping 80% from 3D, eclipsed the month’s previous record holder, “Paranormal Acitvity 3,” which earned $52.6 million in 2011.

The weekend’s other wide release, Fox’s Ben Affleck-Justin Timerlake actioner “Runner Runner,” grossed a meager $7.6 million Stateside. The studio launched the film last weekend internationally; the pic’s worldwide total so far is $31.1 million.

Despite the benchmark bow for “Gravity,” weekend totals still trailed this time last year, when “Taken 2″ earned $49 million, plus holdover “Hotel Transylvania” grossed $27 million in its second frame. This year, Sony’s family-friendly leftover, “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2,” grossed $21.5 million in its sophomore outing, lifting its Stateside cume to $60.6 million.

With “Gravity,” Warners risked trying to achieve a tentpole-sized opening this time of year. The film’s bow, a significant coup for the studio’s marketing and distribution teams, became the largest domestic opening for stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, as well as the second-largest for Cuaron, behind “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.”

Meanwhile, Sony’s week-early sneak of “Captain Phillips” saw enthusiastic responses, according to the studio, with 75% capacity at approximately 800 locations. Many markets were sell-outs including New York’s Lincoln Square, but also places like Plano, Texas, Minneapolis and Vancouver.​

*click pic for full list/source*

DMczaf

First 20/20 Experience 2 sucks, now Runner Runner bombs.

That's what you get for giving Nsync like 20 secs at the VMAs!

kswiston

A good, original Sci-Fi film making more than $50M on its opening weekend is great to see.

Cloudy 2 had a pretty good hold as well this weekend.

ЯAW

Banned
I was expecting Gravity to do 30 million at best, amazing numbers for it. Hopefully it does well in forgein box office as well.

jtb

Banned
I am so happy for Gravity's strong opening, especially in the wake of the abysmal summer we've just had. there is hope yet for Hollywood...

also, I guess Rush is a bit of a bomb. Was kind of hoping Prisoners would do better business too, everyone I know who saw it loved it.

kswiston

I am so happy for Gravity's strong opening, especially in the wake of the abysmal summer we've just had. there is hope yet for Hollywood...

also, I guess Rush is a bit of a bomb. Was kind of hoping Prisoners would do better business too, everyone I know who saw it loved it.

Rush already had $30M overseas last weekend. I think it will do alright worldwide.

Prisoners should end with $65-70M domestically which is pretty good. We'll see what kind of appeal it has internationally.

Draconian

Rush was never going to do all that well here. It'll do much better in Europe and the rest of the world.

Fantastic numbers for Gravity. I want to go see it again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cuaron deserves to be able to make whatever the hell he wants for the rest of his career so it's nice to see Gravity's estimates being (relatively) high.

Gravity

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $55,550,000 67.0%
+ Foreign: $27,400,000 33.0%
= Worldwide: $82,950,000

Very, very good on a 100$ million budget. I honestly thought it cost much more.

kswiston

Gravity

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $55,550,000 67.0%
+ Foreign: $27,400,000 33.0%
= Worldwide: $82,950,000

Very, very good on a 100$ million budget. I honestly thought it cost much more.

Foreign numbers are only for 27 markets as well. I think that Gravity could end up with $500M WW. We'll see how the remaining markets react first though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great news for Gravity. Here's hoping the word of mouth keeps up and it holds strong the next few weeks.

Ceebs

Foreign numbers are only for 27 markets as well. I think that Gravity could end up with $500M WW. We'll see how the remaining markets react first though.

Yeah the foreign market loves their 3D films and this one has big name movie stars and great special effects. I would bet it does very well worldwide.

xenist

Holy fuck at Gravity at 98% RT and 55 mil. Good job Cuaron. I watched the trailer in 3D when I saw Through The Never yesterday and it looked tremendous.

kswiston

The Wolverine:
Domestic: $131,600,000
Foreign: $244,400,000
Worldwide: $376,000,000

Lowest grossing film in the franchise domestically. Highest grossing film in the Franchise overseas. It opens in China in 2 weeks, so I suppose it can still hit $400M if it performs decently in that territory.

EDIT: Worldwide, The Wolverine has passed X-Men Origins, and sits at number 3 in the franchise after X3 and X2.

Yes! Good job Cuaron! Let's hope the legs on this one will be huge. I can't stop thinking about it since yesterday, might go see it again today just for that space feeling.

jtb

Banned
They've been plastering Cuaron's name all over the marketing too, so it would really be great for him to turn into a household name capable of launching other big budget, original IPs like a Nolan or a Cameron.

Prisoners is doing pretty okay, considering. I don't think anyone involved is considering that disappointing, are they?

It's going to mop up on home video. I get the sense it's that sort of movie. Maybe not one you drop 12 bucks to go see in a theater, but you DEFINITELY drop the $5 to rent it and hurt yourself with it while you sit on the couch with something alcoholic nearby.

Considering that it's movie about F1 I am actually pretty surprised that it made even this much in US. Sure hit in Europe so it will make money.

They've been plastering Cuaron's name all over the marketing too, so it would really be great for him to turn into a household name capable of launching other big budget, original IPs like a Nolan or a Cameron.
I also hope it will get more people to see Y Tu Mamá También and Children of Men!

Ridley327

At the very least, at least he'll be free long enough to finally get that Criterion release of Y tu mama tambien out the door. We've been waiting for that one for about two years now.

Two years!

I also hope it will get more people to see Y Tu Mamá También and Children of Men!

Has Children of Men's reach grown any since it hit blu-ray (and cheap blu, at that, it's almost constantly $10 on amazon)?

I don't know a single person whose seen it that hasn't been amazed by it.

A good, original Sci-Fi film making more than $50M on its opening weekend is great to see.

Cloudy 2 had a pretty good hold as well this weekend.

Gravity is Sci-Fi? I really haven't seen anything about it to indicate that. Surprised the movie is doing so well when the previews are nothing but Sandra Bullock being flung around space making noises.

Yes, More people should see Y Tu Mamá También. CoM is far more popular, though.

Has Children of Men's reach grown any since it hit blu-ray (and cheap blu, at that, it's almost constantly $10 on amazon)?

I don't know a single person whose seen it that hasn't been amazed by it.

I like it, but wasn't amazed by it.

kswiston

Gravity is Sci-Fi? I really haven't seen anything about it to indicate that. Surprised the movie is doing so well when the previews are nothing but Sandra Bullock being flung around space making noises.

I guess Space Fiction is more accurate. The movie does a good job at sticking to scientific actualities though (with a few liberties for dramatic/plot reasons).

Anyone got the marketing budget for Children of Men and Gravity

Marketing budgets are impossible to find. Especially for a company like WB, which pays a lot of its marketing costs to its own subsidiaries. Children of Men had a pretty poor box office run though. This make up for it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom