• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•04-06•13 - Gravity takes Justin Timberlake's latest vehicle down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMan

wow, i didn't expect gravity to be such a critical and financial success. i've got to make it out to see it, along with rush (who am i kidding, i'll be redboxing that shit early next year)

not a chance in hell.

I wouldn't say so. A movie loved by both critics an audiences? Too sweet a deal.

One movie with a similar reception that I'd really say has no chance in hell would be Before Midnight.

Of course there's other stuff out there that will be competing hard, but Gravity seems like a likely contender.

jtb

Banned
I think it'll be between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave. Depends on how dark 12 Years a Slave is, I think; the Academy really hates dark films.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, 80% 3D share for Gravity. Nice.

I don't see Gravity getting a Best Picture Oscar, but I think it's a lock for a nomination, as well as noms for best director, cinematography, sound, etc

Loxley

I don't see Gravity getting a Best Picture Oscar, but I think it's a lock for a nomination, as well as noms for best director, cinematography, sound, etc

It's pretty much a shoe-in for all the technical Oscars. Best Director and Best Picture on the other hand will likely be harder battles - especially with critics praising 12 Years as a "21st-century masterpiece".

My favorite performances this year so far were simon Pegg, Hugh jackman, cate Blanchett and Sandra bullock

They all deserve recognition although Pegg obviously won't get it

Dead

well not really...yet
My favorite performances this year so far were simon Pegg, Hugh jackman, cate Blanchett and Sandra bullock

They all deserve recognition although Pegg obviously won't get it
For the first time, I truly believed that Jackman was THE Wolverine.

I'm you sure you meant for Prisoners lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Either film will work lol. He deserves a damn oscar just for how ripped his shoulders are damn son.
lol, there was a part in the Wolverine...I think when he was chopping wood or moving some kind of tree...or something. He flexed while holding an axe and his fucking veins bulged. I was like, holy shit!

lol, there was a part in the Wolverine...I think when he was chopping wood or moving some kind of tree...or something. He flexed while holding an axe and his fucking veins bulged. I was like, holy shit!

Yeah. Ridiculous. He puts everyone else in Hollywood to shame (and many of them work hard to get fit)

They covered him up fully in prisoners to sell him as an everyman dad lol. If he even wore a t shirt he'd look out of place at this point

BiggNife

I'd say Gravity has a good chance of getting Best Picture at the Oscars next year. It seems like the perfect movie for them. Broaden that demographic.

I was thinking about this, but I feel like the academy usually focuses on films that emphasize character development and plot over special effects and sound design. I think Cuaron could win best director but I don't think it'll win best picture.

I'm glad it's doing well, though. It definitely deserves it.

Savitar

Wow for Gravity, I thought it looked damn good in the commercials but never expected it to catch with the masses.

kswiston

I was thinking about this, but I feel like the academy usually focuses on films that emphasize character development and plot over special effects and sound design. I think Cuaron could win best director but I don't think it'll win best picture.

I'm glad it's doing well, though. It definitely deserves it.

Which is why 12 Years a Slave will likely win. From early accounts, the acting is superb, and it is very faithful to the original autobiographical account of the main character. I'm sure that in 10-15 years, Gravity will be the more remembered film, but those are typically not awarded the big prize.

Messi

Gah, Rush deserves to be making a lot more money than it currently is. I am sure it is making bank in europe but I would have liked it to make more money in the USA. Fantastic film and preformances. I went to see it twice.

Jarnet87

Every week I see this thread, and I always shake my head at how droves of mindless people go and see terrible horror films and comedies. If I was running a studio those would be the only type of films I'd pump out.

Bullock will get a nom for sure. It could be between her and Blanchett.

Messi

Gravity is not out until November 10th in Ireland FML.

I went to see Pacific Rim in IMAX on my recent trip to the USA. Gravity was one of the trailers, I had never heard about it before then but holy shit that trailer rocked me.

I'm sure that in 10-15 years, Gravity will be the more remembered film, but those are typically not awarded the big prize.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. I haven't seen Gravity yet (hopefully tonight!) but everything I've heard about 12 Years a Slave sounds like it's one of the best films this decade.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm really pleased with Gravity's success. I never imagined it'd open so big, but it really became an event for a wide demographic. If you'd asked me a year or two ago, I probably would've guessed low 30s for the high end, not that I'm great at box office predictions in the first place.

Gravity's average rating is higher than any of those four.

Citizen Kane has a 9.4 average rating versus 9.1 for Gravity.
Toy Story = 9.0
Battleship Potemkin = 9.1
Pinocchio = 9.0
The Godfather = 9.1
Dr. Strangelove = 9.1

Citizen Kane is the highest I can find. Anyway, the point of my post is simply to say that Gravity is in great company without a need to argue over tenths of a point. The Social Network was a 9.0 rating and a freshness of "only" 96%.

Toy Story = 9.0
Pinocchio = 9.0
The Godfather = 9.1
Dr. Strangelove = 9.1

Citizen Kane is the highest I can find. Anyway, the point of my post is simply to say that Gravity is in great company without a need to argue over tenths of a point. The Social Network was a 9.0 rating and a freshness of "only" 96%.

Those older films don't really count since RT was not around when they released. The people leaving reviews for those films now are the fanboys, so of course they'll be largely positive.

Those older films don't really count since RT was not around when they released. The people leaving reviews for those films now are the fanboys, so of course they'll be largely positive.

I agree with you, but I was mostly making the point that even against historically loved films that are being reviewed mostly by fanboys, Gravity is still tracking along with them if not even better than them by a slight amount. So, my point is just that Gravity is currently being considered one of the greatest films of all time among the reviewing audience at large.

max-pain

Toy Story = 9.0
Pinocchio = 9.0
The Godfather = 9.1
Dr. Strangelove = 9.1

RT is totally worthless for old movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom