• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. [OT] 07•22-24•11 -box office goes red, white, and booyah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

c5L9b.jpg
bNB1U.jpg
qYkUJ.jpg
afbkq.jpg
yA0Ju.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
zDpeS.gif
73% Captain America: The First Avenger
ZMQdp.gif
96% Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
Cnqb3.gif
70% Friends with Benefits
yppdh.gif
36% Transformers: Dark of the Moon
GmSow.gif
69% Horrible Bosses

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source*

'Captain' soars at weekend B.O. Par actioneer muscles past 'Potter' in U.S.

After successfully launching a new franchise with "Thor," Paramount unspooled its second summer Marvel: "Captain America: The First Avenger" earned an estimated $65.8 million in its debut frame, narrowly besting the $65.7 million opening take for "Thor" the weekend of May 6.

As it stands, "Captain America," with 40% from 3D, now stands as the third best Marvel series launch, behind "Spider-Man" and "Iron Man."

Though Par's success with "Captain America" was helped by huge drop (down 72%) by "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," which estimated in its second weekend $48.1 million. After breaking industry and series records last weekend, "Part 2" this weekend set a series low with its soph-sesh drop (the third "Potter" pic, "Prisoner of Azkaban" fell 63% in its second outing).

The key for "Part 2" will be stabilization, meaning where the pic settles in subsequent frames after the mad rush of fans opening weekend.

"Part 2" still is on track to becoming the franchise's best domestic performer with a cume of $274.2 million. It should eclipse the first "Deathly Hallows" ($295 million) by next weekend; series originator, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" stands as the best Stateside with $317.6 million.

Also bowing this weekend, Sony/Screen Gems' "Friends With Benefits" earned an estimated $18.5 million from 2,926 locations. That's a solid start for the reported $30 million-budgeted pic, but a tad under pre-weekend industry expectations, which pegged the film to open just north of $20 million through Sunday.

"Friends With Benefits" could see success similar to R-rated comedies "Horrible Bosses" and "Bad Teacher," though both of those films bowed higher with comparable B+ CinemaScore ratings.​

*click pic for full list/source*

Amir0x

Banned
ugh not surprising but ugh nonetheless

what an awful top five all around actually

actually top ten is pretty bad. although Winnie the Pooh is probably too saccharine to actually be bad.

Friends with Benefits was actually really, really good. Same director as Easy A, a similarly underrated clever little comedy that had great holds due to word of mouth.

jtb

Banned
LOL 72% drop for Harry Potter. I don't think there's been a more front loaded franchise than this since the Matrix sequels...

Also, when is Tree of Life going wide? A lot of people I know were interested in it, but aren't willing to go 45 minutes to the nearest theater that's playing it... Big missed opportunity for Fox Searchlight in the meantime.

Meier

I actually was very pleased with Captain America. Well deserved first place finish.

the walrus said:
Also, when is Tree of Life going wide? A lot of people I know were interested in it, but aren't willing to go 45 minutes to the nearest theater that's playing it... Big missed opportunity for Fox Searchlight in the meantime.
It will never go wide at this point. Not sure why it didn't get a chance..

DrStiles

Finally got to see Horrible Bosses this weekend. Was actually pretty funny and not as predictable as I thought it would be. Glad to see it's been holding pretty well.

MikeMyers

Dan said:
Nice relatively low drop for Winnie the Pooh.

Winnie dropped around 35%
Harry Potter dropped around 70%

If things continue at this rate, Winnie the Pooh will be ranking higher then Potter at the Box Office Charts!

kswiston

3N16MA said:
People actually thought that Potter would top CA this week?

Spider-man 3 made $58M in its second week and TDK made over $70M. If HP8 didn't have Twilight level legs, and Captain America wasn't as well received, #1 and #2 could have been reversed. However, By Thursday it was pretty clear that Captain America would come out on top.

Captain America was always tracking over 50M. Not sure if it was tracking over 60M though.

yeah, went to see Captain America last night, expected the theater to be half empty(like Green Lantern was).

The theater filled up 30 minutes before showtime. I said wow.

Who knew?

Well, I was wrong. I thought Potter would remain at the top.

I'm seeing Captain America in a couple of hours. Can't say much about it until then.

3N16MA

Banned
kswiston said:
Spider-man 3 made $58M in its second week and TDK made over $70M. If HP8 didn't have Twilight level legs, and Captain America wasn't as well received, #1 and #2 could have been reversed. However, By Thursday it was pretty clear that Captain America would come out on top.

Captain America was always tracking over 50M. Not sure if it was tracking over 60M though.

Cap was always going to make more than GL (poorly reviewed and still made mid 50's OW). I did not think Potter would touch mid 50's this weekend so to me it was already a lock.

I think Harry Potter is joining some dubious company.

The only movies ever to make more than $30 million and drop > 70% are

Friday the 13th (2009)
Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Bruno
Harry Potter 7-2
Hellboy 2
Valentine's Day
Twilight: New Moon
Ang Lee's Hulk

Captain America was good fun in the vein of a poor man's Indiana Jones. Can't wait for the Avengers.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Scarecrow said:
Good job, Cap.

What are some of the other good movies for the last half of this year?
In terms of big movies...
The Muppets
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Arthur Christmas (hopefully)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

But other stuff:
Contagion
Drive
The Skin I Live In
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
A Dangerous Method

MikeMyers said:
Did you see it then? I kind of wanted to see it, but my family vetoed to watch HP instead. :/

Oh, yes I did.

Took the whole family. It was short and sweet. It won't blow your mind or anything, but it's very true to the Pooh books, I think. The best Pooh-related animation since the 70's, without a doubt.

CiSTM

Banned
Dan said:
In terms of big movies...
The Muppets
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Arthur Christmas (hopefully)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

But other stuff:
Contagion
Drive
The Skin I Live In
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
A Dangerous Method
Tintin is going to be awesome too.

kswiston

Marvel Studios really knows their audience.

They have successfully launched 3 new film properties, and only the Incredible Hulk was a bit of a miss financially.

Kabuki Waq said:
would cars 2 be considered a flop? I hope so

Not when you consider the billions Disney will rank in on merchandising sales, which was the only reason the 2nd film existed in the first place...

kswiston

3N16MA said:
Cap was always going to make more than GL (poorly reviewed and still made mid 50's OW). I did not think Potter would touch mid 50's this weekend so to me it was already a lock.

By Friday yes. However, on Tuesday, it looked like Cap may be poorly reviewed as well. The film started at 33% on Rottentomatoes, and typically genre films go down in rating as more reviews come in, not way up. Also, HP8s first Monday was quite good.

If HP8 dropped 65% instead of 70%, and Captain America performed more like First Class or Green Lantern, the situation could have been reversed. Like I said, by Wednesday or Thursday, it was pretty clear that HP8 was heading for ~50M this weekend.

Xyrmellon

I think the biggest suprise this summer has been the R rated comedies. Bridesmaids, Bad Teacher, and Horrible Bosses all (going to make) over 100 million. Expect a ton of these by next spring.

NomarTyme

SonicMegaDrive said:
Not when you consider the billions Disney will rank in on merchandising sales, which was the only reason the 2nd film existed in the first place...
Do we know how much they're making compare to the last movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom