• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. [OT] 07•22-24•11 -box office goes red, white, and booyah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

kswiston said:
Marvel Studios really knows their audience.

They have successfully launched 3 new film properties, and only the Incredible Hulk was a bit of a miss financially.

I'm glad, i don't want it to be trendy to talk about disappointing comic book movie sales and i also want good comic book movies. It's a shame Green Lantern's budget was 200mil and the quality wasn't there.

kswiston

NomarTyme said:
Do we know how much they're making compare to the last movie?

Even ignoring merchandising the film is not a flop. The film is already at $350M worldwide and still has over half of its overseas launches ahead of it (including China, Japan, the UK, Germany, France and some other larger territories). The Domestic tally is definitely disappointing (first Pixar film that will end under $200M in over a decade), but worldwide Cars 2 will be in the $500-600M range. Higher than Cars 1.

I imagine Disney is very pleased with their acquisition of Marvel. These films are taking relatively unknown characters (Iron Man, Thor, Cap) and bringing them to the forefront of the entertainment industry.

NomarTyme

kswiston said:
Even ignoring merchandising the film is not a flop. The film is already at $350M worldwide and still has over half of its overseas launches ahead of it (including China, Japan, the UK, Germany, France and some other larger territories). The Domestic tally is definitely disappointing (first Pixar film that will end under $200M in over a decade), but worldwide Cars 2 will be in the $500-600M range. Higher than Cars 1.
I really want to know know about the merchandising for this film though!

kswiston

AbsoluteZero said:
I imagine Disney is very pleased with their acquisition of Marvel. These films are taking relatively unknown characters (Iron Man, Thor, Cap) and bringing them to the forefront of the entertainment industry.

Considering how well the solo films are doing, I also think the Avengers is a lock for at least $300M domestically. Possibly $400M if it is a good film. There is also a ton of time between the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, so next year's big comicbook films won't eat into eachother's business.

Xyrmellon

I'm completely ignorant of how modern animation works, but how in the hell could Cars 2 cost significantly more than Captain America?? Computer animation is that much more expensive these days?

Instro

Kabuki Waq said:
would cars 2 be considered a flop? I hope so
A flop? Not really, combined WW has it 350 million. At the very least its made back its production and marketing budget, and that's before all the merchandising.

Having said that, by Pixar standards its mediocre for them. It's done significantly worse at the box office than its predecessor, and given the critical response I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing another Cars movie for a while if ever.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Xyrmellon said:
I'm completely ignorant of how modern animation works, but how in the hell could Cars 2 cost significantly more than Captain America?? Computer animation is that much more expensive these days?
Computer animation requires an awfully large team of highly talented people to come together on projects, which is why they cost a lot. Also costs go into whatever infrastructure is required to render and store all the data and everything.

It is also more time consuming.

Tobor

kswiston said:
Considering how well the solo films are doing, I also think the Avengers is a lock for at least $300M domestically. Possibly $400M if it is a good film. There is also a ton of time between the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, so next year's big comicbook films won't eat into eachother's business.
I think you're right. Everything is lined up perfectly for The Avengers and DKR at this point.

The "comic book genre is dying" talk after GL bombed was obviously premature.

Instro said:
A flop? Not really, combined WW has it 350 million. At the very least its made back its production and marketing budget, and that's before all the merchandising.

Having said that, by Pixar standards its mediocre for them. It's done significantly worse at the box office than its predecessor, and given the critical response I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing another Cars movie for a while if ever.

My guess is Cars 2 will about break even after all is said and done at the Box office. With a 200 mill production budget + about 100 Million in marketing (thats the number for Kung Fu Panda 2 and Imagine its similar if not larger) for a total of 300 million. With 30-40% of the Box office grosses going to theaters Cars 2 it looks like cars might make a slight box office profit.

However we know the BO was never where it was going to make its money.

kswiston

Instro said:

Like I said earlier. Cars opens in most of it's larger overseas markets this past weekend and next weekend. By the time it leaves theatres, it will be a good deal higher than Cars 1 worldwide. S

GCX

Xyrmellon said:
In computer animation every single detail has to be created from nothing, every frame needs to be animated and the production takes far longer than an average live action movie (with far larger team too). I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

3N16MA

Banned
kswiston said:

Well Spider-Man and TDKR are opening within 2.5 weeks of eachother.

Xyrmellon

GCX said:
I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

Look dude, I'm just a caveman! Your modern animated features "frighten, and confuse me"!!!

7OMmy.jpg

I felt like I asked a legit question, did you really have to insult my intelligence?

kswiston

3N16MA said:
Well Spider-Man and TDKR are opening within 2.5 weeks of eachother.

Forgot about Amazing Spider-man. Still doesn't affect the Avengers, so my point stands. At worst, the Dark Knight Rises will cut ASM's legs a bit short.

fernoca

Expected the fall of Deathly Hollows after such a huge first weekend, but still did better than I was expecting. (expected around $40 million).

3N16MA

Banned
kswiston said:
Forgot about Amazing Spider-man. Still doesn't affect the Avengers, so my point stands. At worst, the Dark Knight Rises will cut ASM's legs a bit short.

Well it's obvious it won't hurt the Avengers but there will be some eating into business from the big comic-book films.

G-Fex

Amir0x said:
ugh not surprising but ugh nonetheless

what an awful top five all around actually

actually top ten is pretty bad. although Winnie the Pooh is probably too saccharine to actually be bad.

I'm more hyped now to see Cap!

charsace

I doubt the people behind Harry Potter care since it will probably reach a billion worldwide anyways. The Harry Potter series is greatest case of right place at the right time that I've ever seen. The series is decent at best, but came right before nerd culture was about to blow up and rode that wave to the top.

kswiston

charsace said:
I doubt the people behind Harry Potter care since it will probably reach a billion worldwide anyways. The Harry Potter series is greatest case of right place at the right time that I've ever seen. The series is decent at best, but came right before nerd culture was about to blow up and rode that wave to the top.

I don't think the popularity of Harry Potter has anything to do with the prevalence of nerd culture. No more so than the popularity of Star Wars in the 70s/80s.

CassSept

According to Box Office Mojo Potter is now at $835 mn worldwide. So it will probably (?) reach $1 bn by the end of July unless some kind of a catastrophe happens.
Or at latest in the week after.

Koodo

Banned
Harry Potter is already at $834 million worldwide. Insane stuff.

I'm assuming it'll cross the billion or be close to it by the end of next weekend.

kswiston

vicissitudes said:
I wonder if Harry Potter will beat Transformers domestically. Also looks like Transformers might not hit 400m. Oh well.

Transformers 3 is heading towards $350M. Still has a chance at $1 billion worldwide though.

Amir0x said:

actually top ten is pretty bad. although Winnie the Pooh is probably too saccharine to actually be bad.

Did you think Midnight in Paris was bad? I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be highly polarizing.

Amir0x said:

Amirox is the new Turkey.

luoapp said:
Is Cameron Diaz the most profitable actress right now?
I would say Emma Stone is.
Superbad - Budget: $20 Million / Gross Revenue: $169,871,719
Zombieland - Budget: $23.6 Million / Gross Revenue: $102,391,540
Easy A - Budget: $8 Million / Gross Revenue: $74,952,305

charsace

kswiston said:
I don't think the popularity of Harry Potter has anything to do with the prevalence of nerd culture. No more so than the popularity of Star Wars in the 70s/80s.
Star Wars was something different in the way it looked and had great special effects for the time. The Harry Potter series isn't what I would call great literature. The books were at the right time. I already explained it.

overcast

I am really happy to see Captain America take the first spot. Thought it was great. Harry potter dropped quite a bit, but they are still making plenty of money.

Good summer for superhero movies though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the walrus said:
Also, when is Tree of Life going wide? A lot of people I know were interested in it, but aren't willing to go 45 minutes to the nearest theater that's playing it... Big missed opportunity for Fox Searchlight in the meantime.

Here in Western Australia, I was able to find only two theatres within a few hours of where I live (such a wide net extends well beyond the CBD) screening The Tree of Life. :(

Jane Eyre looks to be fairing better but it's not playing at any local establishments (i.e. less than an hour away).

So, in short, I need to move. :p

Takao

Banned
AgentChris said:
I would say Emma Stone is.
Superbad - Budget: $20 Million / Gross Revenue: $169,871,719
Zombieland - Budget: $23.6 Million / Gross Revenue: $102,391,540
Easy A - Budget: $8 Million / Gross Revenue: $74,952,305

Does Sony own her soul?

kswiston said:
Marvel Studios really knows their audience.

They have successfully launched 3 new film properties, and only the Incredible Hulk was a bit of a miss financially.

Another joke post?

The film outgrossed its predecessor and received generally positive reviews. Despite this positive reception Marvel chose to put off a possible sequel until after 2012's The Avengers; Edward Norton was initially set to reprise his role, however after talks broke down he will be replaced by Mark Ruffalo for The Avengers and any subsequent sequels.[3][4] As of April 6, 2009, the film has grossed $263,427,551 in worldwide box office and it made $58,448,280 in DVD sales, bringing its total film gross to $321,875,831

Every Marvel Studios movie where it's their production has done well.

vicissitudes said:
I wonder if Harry Potter will beat Transformers domestically. Also looks like Transformers might not hit 400m. Oh well.
Considering how huge the drop was...unlikely. But if it does it'll crawl its way there. Worldwide it's going to slaughter not only Transformers but possibly ROTK.

Harry Potter could drop to 0 dollars this week and it would still be considered a successful film. Freaking 834 million in a week.

I hate to be so bitter but seeing Cap as another success pisses me off. Marvel Studios has only output average to very mediocre films so far.

The only one I actually own on Bluray is Iron Man 1 (or basically the RDJ movie, with a suit that shoots stuff and flies). And I'll probably never have the urge to buy another until Iron Man 3.

Cap was pretty average too. They definitely got the look right though. Sad to see the sequel will be modern times.

artist

Banned
kswiston said:
Transformers 3 is heading towards $350M. Still has a chance at $1 billion worldwide though.
At its current tracking, TF3 will end up at 360M. Potter might get there, its 50-50 and this Monday will decide if its going to or not.

kswiston

Boombloxer said:
Another joke post?

Every Marvel Studios movie where it's their production has done well.

I didn't say that the film bombed. But $263M worldwide off of a $150M budget isn't exactly an amazing theatrical run. Thor grossed close to $450M and Iron Man close to $600M. Captain America could hit $400M as well. Compared to those three films, the Incredible Hulk is a bit disappointing. Especially when considering that the Hulk is a better known comic character than Iron Man, Cap or Thor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom