• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

dab0ne

Platinum'd it and now I'm playing on "Can I play Daddy?" setting. Running and gunning is ridiculous fun!! Game needs a battle arena mode or something.

Just finished the game. I'm not one for going back and collecting everything or exploring another branched path.

Really, really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's because I went in with super low expectations.

At the start I thought it was going to be a really boring alternate WW2 game but I was pleasantly surprised after the first big event.

The guns were satisfying though I got a bit annoyed recharging the guns that need recharging, you don't get much "ammo" using them.

Also, dat akimbo auto shotgun.

dab0ne

Just finished the game. I'm not one for going back and collecting everything or exploring another branched path.

Really, really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's because I went in with super low expectations.

At the start I thought it was going to be a really boring alternate WW2 game but I was pleasantly surprised after the first big event.

The guns were satisfying though I got a bit annoyed recharging the guns that need recharging, you don't get much "ammo" using them.

Also, dat akimbo auto shotgun.

Gun Spoiler
You can get an upgrade for the cutter that recharges on its own over time. It's slow but at least it's something :p

Jito

Banned
Ending spoilers:
Anyone else almost cry or get teary end at the end there?

I had to hold it in because I was playing with friends, the cutscene
where BJ crashes back at London Nautica nearly had me as well, he just wants to get back to Anya.
:'(

I feel like I kind of missed the point in Chapter 13. It's when BJ
cuts the numbering out of his arm and a cutscene plays of Frau beating a prisoner

What was the relevance of that? I've missed it twice now ._. Why did he only decide to do it just then?

I was pretty confused by that as well, it's like he just remembered it was on his arm and said fuck it. Must have missed something.

Nemesis_

I had to hold it in because I was playing with friends, the cutscene
where BJ crashes back at London Nautica nearly had me as well, he just wants to get back to Anya.
:'(

The brief second sex scene was such a nice moment between them. BJ is such a gentleman underneath it all :'(

Virzeth

Ending spoilers:
Anyone else almost cry or get teary end at the end there?

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.

Jito

Banned
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.

End spoiler
Hints of heading to America in the sequel? :D

Jito

Banned
The brief second sex scene was such a nice moment between them. BJ is such a gentleman underneath it all :'(

Pretty blown away by BJ as a character, went into the game thinking he'd be a generic gruff marine as always but instead Machine Games made my favourite FPS protagonist of all time I think, badass Nazi killing machine with a heart.

antitrop

Finished it. One of the best games I've ever played. An absolute delight from start to finish.

I worship at the altar of MachineGames.

Ragnarok

Is the pop-in horrible for anyone else? I see people in here say it's not that bad, but for me, on PC, it's basically every time you turn quickly.

Also i'm really enjoying the fairly destructible environments. It's not red faction or anything, but blasting nazis who are cowering behind pillars or boxes is very fun.

Virzeth

End spoiler
Hints of heading to America in the sequel? :D
I would love to see a MachineGames' version of a big American city. And Alcatraz... mhhh.

Weird, must have missed the upgrade, the latest one I got was
the scope.
From the Wolfenstein Wikia (http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/LaserKraftWerk):
Generator - Slowly regenerates the Laserkraftwerks battery power (gained in the Da'at Yichud vault)

Is the pop-in horrible for anyone else? I see people in here say it's not that bad, but for me, on PC, it's basically every time you turn quickly.
It was pretty damn bad for me with the game in my secondary HDD, got infinitely better once I SteamMoved it to the SSD.

Andrew.

Banned
Finished it. One of the best games I've ever played. An absolute delight from start to finish.

I worship at the altar of MachineGames.

0Q2dbGM.gif

Glad to see this has gotten good reviews from most here so far. I'm waiting for Gamefly to send me this(PS3 version). I hope it comes today so I can play this all weekend.

dab0ne

Weird, must have missed the upgrade, the latest one I got was
the scope.

Its in that Underwater layer of the secret society. The one where you have to shoot the orbs to make a walk way. When you get up to the top you hit the objects in the right sequence then the push the button to open it (not the lever that finishes the mission). The sequence in which you select the objects is on the wall.

MattyG

Banned
I hope we get DLC similar to Dishonored, with stories that are parallel asides to the main campaign. Maybe
1 episode focusing on what Wyatt and Fergus did in the 14 years BJ was comstose, with 2 different playthroughs for each character, each having their own playstyle.
I would love to see a MachineGames' version of a big American city. And Alcatraz... mhhh. [Lore spoiler]
Too bad they had to go and nuke New York, huh?
Good thing they didn't nuke San Fran then, eh?

Now that I read your post again, I feel like the bold and the spoilered may have been unrelated, which would make my smartass reply irrelevant. Carry on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm on chapter 14. This game is a checklist of everything I want in an FPS. It feels like the game was made just for me.

Just finished chapter 8. Was kinda disappointed with the quiet sound effects when
using the machine thing at the end of it.
. But eh, it's still been fantastic so far. Love how they mix it up, so it never gets boring.

One of my favorite lines from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is when Indy finds out its his old foes from the Third Reich behind his latest adventure. “Nazis…I hate these guys!” he quips, as if he was dealing with some pesky rodents rummaging through his house. Nazis have become the ultimate cartoon villains in pop culture over the past 50 or so years. Their all-black ensemble, funny sounding German accents, and universally agreed upon evilness makes them easy fodder for our heroes to beat again and again without offending anyone. Wolfenstein is a franchise built on the resilient idea that shooting Nazis is an appealing idea you can sell to anyone, and the latest entry continues this tradition, with a few interesting quirks.

The original hero BJ Blackowicz returns, who after a failed WW2 mission to kill General Deathshead, wakes from a coma 18 years later to find out the Nazi succeeded in taking over the world. The episodic plot sends BJ to different interesting locations to gather the tools and people he’ll need to bring down the fascist totalitarian regime. The story is a mix of the Indiana Jones B-movie fun of killing Nazis mixed with a more serious approach to the inherent terror of these enemies and how ultimately good people cope in these terrible times. It doesn’t always work of course; several of its sober-minded incidents don’t land in the context of robot dog murdering and ancient power armor, but its always interesting nonetheless. The real power comes through in the various character interactions. Machine Games was founded by key members of Starbreeze Studios (the creators of Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness) and it shows. Their skill at mining great performances out of pulpy material is on full display here, crafting likable characters though nicely animated scenes and surprisingly good dialog.

But anyway: Nazi shooting, right? Wolfenstein: The New Order is littered with hundred of evil fascist bastards to gun down in various shapes and sizes. Mecha Nazis! Dog Nazis! Giant Mecha Dog Nazis! Its quite an array of antagonists, but BJ acquires a satisfying arsenal of weapons throughout the game. There are the usual machine guns, snipers, and shotguns players are familiar with, with a couple of unique tools thrown in like a Laser gun that can cut through metal and evolves into a pretty deadly sci-fi WMD near the end. Almost every weapon can be dual-wielded (yes, even the sniper rifles), and there’s really nothing like tearing down a hall of Nazis with dual shotguns blazing. Guns fire with a satisfying weight and recoil, mildly shaking the screen and hitting enemies with a chunky sound and/or bright hit indicators for the mechs. In a refreshingly old school approach, players are granted more than two weapons at a time, combined with level design that often encourages multiple approaches to battle. BJ’s health is a mix of modern regenerating health systems and old school health/armor pick-ups. The hard difficulty is a pretty decent challenge, forcing the player to think on their feet in battle and fully utilize their arsenal and environment to survive.

Its not all shooting Nazis in the face. TNO has a fantastic sense of pacing throughout, where corridor battles are off-set by larger multi-tiered fights, stealth areas following vehicular/turret sections, and exciting set pieces mixed with moments of down time and exploration. The mandatory exploration parts are the weak link and a bit naff, admitingly, but its almost forgivable just as a breather and interaction with the characters. Machine Games decided against tacked-on multiplayer in favor a meaty single player FPS experience, milking the Wolfenstein concept for all its worth. Before the game is over, players will storm Nazi castles, breach underwater fortresses, escape from a containment camp in style, and yes, walk across the mothafuckin’ Moon. In a world of short, subpar single player FPS campaigns, The New Order is a breath of fresh air.

There’s a distinct unpolished B-game feel to everything that holds it back from real greatness. Perhaps it’s the id tech5 engine that makes everything look like an impressive last gen game at best, or maybe it’s the rather shit sound mix that comes and goes without rhyme or reason. Maybe it’s the way the dual barreled shotgun sounds, a meek muffled wimpy cough that would make baby black Jesus cry, or not being able to listen to journals/recordings as you play. Its definitely got something to do with how braindead the stealth often is, with idiotic AI and inconsistent enemy sight/sound ranges. A more concerning player could nitpick this to death if that is their will.

However, this would be a fool’s errand. What is here works, often very well, and its flaws and imperfections work to make it a more interesting experience than your typical AAA action game. Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn’t reinvent the wheel, and it didn’t have to. It knows full well that killing Nazis is a fun and simple idea, but not an excuse for lazy craftsmanship or disrespecting the audience’s intelligence.

8/10

FrsDvl

For people wondering about DLC.. I have a very reliable source that yes, we will get story DLC, which is targeted to be around 4 hours long. No ETA, other than it will take a while for it to be released.

Virzeth

Good thing they didn't nuke San Fran then, eh?

Now that I read your post again, I feel like the bold and the spoilered may have been unrelated, which would make my smartass reply irrelevant. Carry on.
Yeah, they are unrelated, but reading that again... I cocked up. Thanks for pointing it out, gonna edit.

For people wondering about DLC.. I have a very reliable source that yes, we will get story DLC, which is targeted to be around 4 hours long. No ETA, other than it will take a while for it to be released.

RO0cOUN.gif

SkylineRKR

I disagree with Moriarty, but my first day with the game wasn't entirely positive either. The first parts are kinda so so and the AI is too dumb if you go stealth. Early weapons are sort of meh and the sound sucked (until I applied the 'fix').

However, the game has SO much character and just seems to yell 'I am fun'. It looks like fun, its graphically absolutely not Killzone is we go into tech details but really I prefer the look of Wolfenstein. Its 60fps, its colorful (a bit reminiscent of Uncharted imo) and I can see the enemies clearly and it just plays like a dream. Its almost a twitch shooter; fucking ADS is WORSE than hip fire. Take that.

I was this close to give up on it, until Chapter 6 came and its hard as nails set pieces took me back to the 90's. I didn't like chapter 8 and the fetch stuff, but from 9 or 10 onwards its FPS perfection. Chapter 13 was... fucking yeah! What I loved the most was
the bit on the Moon itself. Dat fucking low grav gameplay and sound effects! I wish there was a whole level like this.

In the end Wolfenstein is one of the best single player FPS I have ever played. I love the atmosphere, the music, the characters... will buy DLC to wrap things up, hopefully.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If there's anything I have to outright disagree on, it's your comments on the shooting. I think comparing it to FEAR is unfair - it's basically the GOAT of FPS mechanics. And even still - Wolfenstein might not be good enough to best the GOAT, but it's a damn fun shooter despite that.
And if a GOAT is a 10 and this falls short, does it only fall to 9? I'd say it depends on how it falls short, and if it is in one small way or many things. Thus, I think my 7.5 or 8 is perfectly fair to it. However...

The AI is overly dumb, I'll agree to that one though. But I'm playing it for a shooter (I didn't even use the stealth mechanics until a fourth of the way through the game) and I think it's one of the better entries in the genre ever.
This, and your other statements seem to show your difference of perspective. You're going by a single metric, that of personal satisfaction. This is perfectly fine, but it is important to see it is tied to it is how you received its jack of all trades style. Rather admiring it than always feeling like it is coming up a bit short of something else you have experienced, even if (as it does for me) that ends up being one of half a dozen other things depending on what part of the game it is, you admire the provided breadth of experiences as a whole.

I can look at it that way, and it certainly does more things at once at a higher level than most anything else that has tried to do many things at once, but I think my score gives due honor to that accomplishment while also representing the persistent nagging itch for it all to be just a bit better even if I've never seen such a package and can't figure how the design challenges would be fully overcome. I'm not sitting here deeply satisfied (9) or blown away (10) so I have to recognize what it is in balance with my feeling.

dhi

Neo Member

Awesome if true. Definitely day 1 buy. Gimme more :)

Gangxxter

First impressions after 90 minutes of playtime and fiddling around with graphics settings, antialiasing and anisotropic filtering I must say I really enjoy this game so far. Dual wielding assault rifles is so epic, fuck yeah!
Only thing that really sucks is the sound mixing. I hardly understand anything what the characters are saying.
I'm surprised how good the German is in this game. And I like the German sentences on the loading screens.

Denton

Just finished first level. Damn that was rough. Not so great performance even on 280X+2500K (dropped from 60, even on high) and the level itself is the greyest, most boring corridor shooter slog you can imagine.
I know it gets much better after this one, but why would they create first level so horrible is beyond me. Daikatana syndrome, this.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

MAIN GAME SPOILERS (including ending)

I really hope

That I get to stick my blade into that rotten cow Freu Engel. Whilst I know some people not might like the game continuing on from the end I would love it if it had you being picked up in the sea and then on your way to take that bitch down.

RedSwirl

Seems like nobody has talked about the last-gen versions of this game. Well, I'm currently installing the PS3 version so I'll let you guys know in a few hours. Just a rental from GameFly to determine whether I should get the PC version (on a disc because there's no way I'm downloading 50GB).

DukeBobby

Just finished first level. Damn that was rough. Not so great performance even on 280X+2500K (dropped from 60, even on high) and the level itself is the greyest, most boring corridor shooter slog you can imagine.
I know it gets much better after this one, but why would they create first level so horrible is beyond me. Daikatana syndrome, this.

I enjoyed the second half of chapter 1, from the castle onwards.

Holy science, Chapter 11 is a gotdamn meat grinder. There certainly is a strategy to it all but good luck getting the
shotgun supersoldiers
to cooperate with any of your plans.

Denton

I enjoyed the second half of chapter 1, from the castle onwards.

That was slightly better, if only for the RTCW flashbacks..slightly.
But even just first few minutes of the sanatorium seemed much more interesting. I just wish my framerate wasn't all over the place there. Bizzare how Rage ran at completely locked 60fps with 4*AA on GTX560ti, looked much better than this, and Wolf runs like ass on twice as powerful 280X.

Holy science, Chapter 11 is a gotdamn meat grinder. There certainly is a strategy to it all but good luck getting the
shotgun supersoldiers
to cooperate with any of your plans.

Deadliest enemies in the game, easily. On hard, they can just decimate you out of' nowhere, don't matter how much health/armor you have. And the fuckin' boucin sharpnel, on some Flak Cannon shit

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just wish my framerate wasn't all over the place there. Bizzare how Rage ran at completely locked 60fps with 4*AA on GTX560ti, looked much better than this, and Wolf runs like ass on twice as powerful 280X.
Welcome to the world of AMD ownership.

Though this game starts looking WAY BETTER later on.

Dave_6

I just hope I can get this to game to launch tonight. Took 3.5 hours to DL it last night. Tried it this morning but kept going to a black screen and crashing back to the desktop.

Top Bottom