• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Mask

I guess I've been the victim of a glitch?

Beat the game on
Fergus timeline, started a new game and choose Wyatt this time around. To my horror I noticed that the Fergus timeline is now empty, I can't select the missions I've beaten and what is eve worse.. I don't get anything from the armor upgrades, I max out at 100.
Very annoying.. I'm on the PS4 version.

New game deletes your progress. You should have gone into Chapters, started chapter 1, and chose Wyatt. They don't make it very clear, strangely.

The Armor upgrades don't do the same as the health ones. They add 10% to the value of any armor you pick up. With all the upgrades, pretty much any piece of armor gives you near full armor.

swecide

Banned
I'm sorry to say you should have started the Wyatt timeline in the chapter select screen. Starting a New Game will delete your progress basically. To be fair to you they don't point this out very clearly.

Sigh, oh well. At least it didn't reset the collectables. I'll probably have to lower the difficulty to play it without
upgradable health/armor
lol

EDIT:
The Armor upgrades don't do the same as the health ones. They add 10% to the value of any armor you pick up. With all the upgrades, pretty much any piece of armor gives you near full armor.
Ah thanks!

antitrop

I never played Butcher Bay. I need to get on that.

I played through half of the 360 remake that came out in 2009, but never finished it. I think I have the PC version cheap from a sale, too, I should install that on Steam after I finish Wolfenstein.

Im really early in the game but I just realized that the you need to do specific things to move forward with perks, ha, I thought it would automatically levels up, didnt really bother to look, pretty cool, I also appreciate that you dont have to look exactly at pickups to actually pick up like some games.

friday

The rockpapershotgun.com review for this was glowing. Based on all the good things I hear I need to pick this up after I finish Metro:LL.

antitrop

Multiplayer. Haha

Something-something tacked on bullshit. It would have had to have been farmed out to a third-party and who would do it? MachineGames is like 50 people, they don't have the staff to do both. And who would do it right?

As we move into this new generation, I would love for nothing more than for developers to laser focus on their strengths. That's usually going to mean only SP or only MP games, the days of both are coming to an end. Game budgets are just too high and the amount of staff it requires to make both elements is unsustainable for pretty much everything except CoD and Battlefield.

Nemesis_

I have absolutely no idea what anyone who can give this a game a 6 expects out of a shooter.

Really perplexing. I'm just finishing my review now. I'm very impressed with it but worrying that my score might be too high (
). I just don't understand how people who are fans of the genre can hate this. It's just such an enjoyable from beginning to end in almost all aspects.

Something-something tacked on bullshit. It would have had to have been farmed out to a third-party and who would do it? MachineGames is like 50 people, they don't have the staff to do both. And who would do it right?

I mean, just look how the multiplayer for Dark Athena or Darkness 1 turned out :| Thank fuck they didn't.

Wolfenstein just feels so intense and psychotic with it's approach to violence that it might be too hard to bring over to multiplayer and balance effectively without someone dying every two seconds :p

Hammer24

Banned
Now wait a minute, what am I reading here? You can lean in this game? How? I´m in ch11 already, but haven´t found this. On XB1 btw.

antitrop

Now wait a minute, what am I reading here? You can lean in this game? How? I´m in ch11 already, but haven´t found this. On XB1 btw.

I believe Lean is Right Bumper/R1 on consoles, Alt on PC. Extremely useful, I find myself using it in almost every encounter. It's not a shoddily implemented mechanic.

Andrew.

Banned
I love the lean mechanic. What other FPSes have implemented this? Didnt Killzone do it? Im pretty sure it did but I never used it.

In Wolfenstein Im using it practically during every firefight.

I love the lean mechanic. What other FPSes have implemented this? Didnt Killzone do it? Im pretty sure it did but I never used it.

In Wolfenstein Im using it practically during every firefight.
Killzone, the newest CoD on consoles and all the other CoDs on PC. Battlefield 4 has one. Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm have one. Nothing else very recent off the top of my head.

Finished my 1000/1000 last night. Loved
nearly
every minute.

I got my Uber difficulty achievement by playing through on 999 mode, which was a total blast. It was ridiculously easy, though.

Fedele

Its so good. I've not played a first person shooter thats made me want to come back to play it every night since half life 2.

Same here. In my case, I think it's been since Black (oh man, how I miss this game) or RTCW - which adds even more to the whole nostalgia.

It is a fantastic classic FPS with solid framerate, couldn't ask for more at the beginning of this gen.

antitrop

So apparently, like Rage, the game uses a dynamic framebuffer and lowers the horizontal resolution to get as close to 60fps as possible on all systems. DF says the Xbone has to drop res a bit more often than the PS4, but has anyone noticed the dynamic resolution change on either system?

graywolf323

still on chapter 1 but really enjoying the game so far, one complaint though is it's a bit too easy to accidentally throw your knife (after you've unlocked that ability) when breaking open boxes...

So apparently, like Rage, the game uses a dynamic framebuffer and lowers the horizontal resolution to get as close to 60fps as possible on all systems. DF says the Xbone has to drop res a bit more often than the PS4, but has anyone noticed the dynamic resolution change on either system?
I noticed it on PC actually. I was taking screenshots at an extremely high resolution at around 1fps and noticed that it magically went up to 30ish and then to 60. Quality of my shots got all messed up. Kind of annoying. Wish I could turn it off.

Andrew.

Banned
still on chapter 1 but really enjoying the game so far, one complaint though is it's a bit too easy to accidentally throw your knife (after you've unlocked that ability) when breaking open boxes...

Haha yup. But the good thing is you can pick them right back up (as long as you can find them! They tend to bounce around a bit)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Really perplexing. I'm just finishing my review now. I'm very impressed with it but worrying that my score might be too high (
). I just don't understand how people who are fans of the genre can hate this. It's just such an enjoyable from beginning to end in almost all aspects.
As I detailed earlier, it just feels a bit awkward to me in all respects despite the generally high quality.

I think I would have preferred the combat go in either direction rather than trying to be everything at once. FEAR (not counting super powers) did the assault gunfighting in a much better feeling way. It was faster, snappier, more precise, had even more options, and enemy behavior was more interesting. In this, the cover fire seems to contradict the weapons and their mechanics. The lack of dodge and somewhat quick dying seems to contradict the running, sliding, and takedowns. The stops to walk around manually grabbing ammo and health packs contradicts the speed and hectic nature of how fast you can blow through them.

On a more stealth side... Do I even have to expound? We've all seen stealth better done in over a dozen games. This is certainly accessible to stealth newcomers, but it is obviously really, really holding back because it wants the freedom to go full action on a whim. However, the mere inclusion of stealth with its required circumstances (smaller handful of enemies) incentives (pain) ends up holding back the action side of things, no matter how many monster closets they open and medpacks they leave everywhere. A similar contradiction of aims is happening with the level design.

Narrative vs gameplay is another strange balance. To me, something about the shifts from mayhem playground to narrative-guided is unnatural. On the one hand, the narration allows more unique situations, and this does very well to make them unique from all other shooters, so I want to admire that. On the other hand, I feel like the gameplay design overall is tilted toward playgrounds, despite that being the lesser share of the overall experience of the game. So while I appreciate the uniqueness, I find myself wanting to really stretch my legs with the gameplay (in my mind it plays out like some Goldeneye levels), but the narrative guidance keeps coming back and cutting it off short.

Finally, as I said in my comparison to Binary Domain, the graphics are beautiful and I can really walk around and marvel at them, but then once the action kicks up I find them being slightly annoying and not-so-functional. However, I have similar opinions on say, Battlefield 4, so I'm not sure if this is a matter of actual art vs gameplay in visual design, or if I'm just a grumpy old man who has trouble dealing with fancy colored lighting.

Anyway, because it's kind of torn, it's hard to say "this is what should change" or "this exactly is where is falls short" because whatever it is changes depending on how you want to play, or how the particular portion of the game you are in wants you to play it. However, the lack of permanent specificity of required critique does not diminish the ever-present feeling that you have played better forms of whatever you may be doing at any given time. So for me it isn't that it fails in any particular way, but that it needed to pick a direction in order to take itself to greater heights.

I think in my effort to be fair and appreciate its good qualities, I'd land it somewhere at 7.5 or 8. I'm only halfway through, but I am pretty confident this overall nature of design won't change. I can totally see how someone with a clearer idea of what they wanted from it, especially an old school mayhem shooter, could be very bored and focus on that boredom and failed expectations, and maybe even see in the game a failure to live up to its own ambitions as an action shooter, and say it is a 6.

Lima

You can easily notice it on Xbox One. But it's in super weird areas where not much is going on.

Eisenwald prison spoiler

the scene where you and Seth are tied to a pole. I was like wait a minute this doesn't look 1080p anymore

There are a few other areas in the game like that.

Hurley

Honestly, no, I haven't noticed this on PS4 at all.

As I detailed earlier, it just feels a bit awkward to me in all respects despite the generally high quality.

I suppose the game does feel like a kitchen sink in some respects, and I don't disagree on most of your justifications.

But in a lot of ways, I feel like the game didn't need to take a direction. There's already enough games out there that do each particular mechanic and go down the rabbit hole. I vastly prefer the "just deep enough" mechanics of Wolfenstein and their subtle mix. I feel like this game does something that few games have done - it takes a swipe at a few different styles of play and gives you each easy-to-use mechanic as it is. As a result, using the toolbox is effortless and easy to experiment with without punishment. In other games that combine so many things, it's usually much harder to swap out styles on the fly and you'll have to invest some time managing everything, and I don't like that.

The story doesn't strike me as disjointed as some people say it does either. Maybe my suspension of disbelief is a little higher than most, but I'm enjoying basically every story tidbit that is getting thrown my way, no matter the tone. I think the levels last exactly as long as they should and the pacing is dead-on. Too many other shooters have you shooting against waves of enemies - typically I'd say most shooters have encounters that last about twice as long as I need them to.

If there's anything I have to outright disagree on, it's your comments on the shooting. I think comparing it to FEAR is unfair - it's basically the GOAT of FPS mechanics. And even still - Wolfenstein might not be good enough to best the GOAT, but it's a damn fun shooter despite that. The AI is overly dumb, I'll agree to that one though. But I'm playing it for a shooter (I didn't even use the stealth mechanics until a fourth of the way through the game) and I think it's one of the better entries in the genre ever.

I'm playing the PS3 edition on a projector, and I haven't noticed the resolution drop at all. I might not be good at noticing that though.

antitrop

I'm playing the PS3 edition on a projector, and I haven't noticed the resolution drop at all. I might not be good at noticing that though.

I've never played any iDTech 5 game on any console, so I was just curious. I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to notice, even if you know it's there.

Voidance

I did on my PS4 copy. Toward the beginning of the game when you're in the hospital, the room you start in is DEFINITELY not 1080p. I could tell this due to all the jaggies and generally blurry IQ.

Lima

I've never played any iDTech 5 game on any console, so I was just curious. I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to notice, even if you know it's there.

It is easy on Xbox One and PS4 to notice it because it's 1080p native otherwise. I would imagine the last gen versions are harder because shit is scaled anyway and you don't really notice if it's 720p or slightly below.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I want more of this. time to replay it on uber

Thinking of "more" what our chances of getting some dlc in the future? is there anything confirmed by Bethesda (I'm afraid that since it is an id-tech 5 game DLC might be super huge in size and they wont do it)

How do I do that?
On PS3 Menu or Wolf Menu?
I don't see any setting in Option in Wolfenstein

In your PS3's system settings: Audio options or System options. Go to the audio output that you're using (HDMI or Optical) and make sure it's set to Bistream (Direct/Mix doesn't matter).

If you then setup that audio device, you'll see a list of various available formats; deselect everything you can except for Dolby Digital.

If you're done with Wolfenstein or they fix this bug, you should revert these changes back.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I did on my PS4 copy. Toward the beginning of the game when you're in the hospital, the room you start in is DEFINITELY not 1080p. I could tell this due to all the jaggies and generally blurry IQ.
The jaggies are the dead giveaway. They get downright horrid sometimes and I think that is why you can't completely turn off all the DoF/Glare/Haze around. I can kind of understand the choice, but in another sense it may not be something to smooth out the less optimized parts so much as a cop-out from optimizing them at all. At least it isn't as ghastly at Doom 3:BFG edition since its latest patch. Looking at what that does when you turn on AA may be a big reason why they don't allow it here.

Nuke Soda

Finished playthrough 1 on UBER with Wyatt. Qucik question about the end
Was there any post credits scene, because at the very end I heard helicopters and assumed B.J. was going to be saved with a cutscene, but there was nothing.

Snowballo

In your PS3's system settings: Audio options or System options. Go to the audio output that you're using (HDMI or Optical) and make sure it's set to Bistream (Direct/Mix doesn't matter).

If you then setup that audio device, you'll see a list of various available formats; deselect everything you can except for Dolby Digital.

If you're done with Wolfenstein or they fix this bug, you should revert these changes back.

Thanks for reply.
I went to audio device -> HDMI -> I have AUTOMATIC or MANUAL, I go for MANUAL -> then I've a long list of stuff, the first two are [] Dolby Digital 5.1 and [] Dolby Digital Plus. I tried to flag them both, I load the game and I've no sound.

Could you help me?

P.S.
Some of the flags, I cannot unflag them (IE [] PCM Linear 2 441 kHz,...)

Thanks for reply.
I went to audio device -> HDMI -> I have AUTOMATIC or MANUAL, I go for MANUAL -> then I've a long list of stuff, the first two are [] Dolby Digital 5.1 and [] Dolby Digital Plus. I tried to flag them both, I load the game and I've no sound.

Could you help me?

P.S.
Some of the flags, I cannot unflag them (IE [] PCM Linear 2 441 kHz,...)

Yeah don't worry about the ones you cannot deselect. The only one to keep selected is Dolby Digital 5.1.

I don't think it makes a difference, but in the System Settings menu, you can select the output format for HDMI or Optical. Select bitstream for HDMI.

If this doesn't work, then your TV doesn't support Dolby Digital 5.1. Nothing we can do about that except wait for a patch to fix this bug.

Top Bottom