• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

eshwaaz

Just finished it - hell of a game. Looking forward to starting my second playthrough tonight.

I really, really hope this sells well, or it will be seen by publishers as further proof that no one wants purely single player-focused experiences anymore. So tired of tacked on multiplayer and obtrusive social hooks.

Deadliest enemies in the game, easily. On hard, they can just decimate you out of' nowhere, don't matter how much health/armor you have. And the fuckin' boucin sharpnel, on some Flak Cannon shit

That one circular room with the tube in the middle right before the big shootout had shrapnel bouncing around corners from angles like wtf. The Laserkraftwerk deals with them well enough, but when normal soldiers are mixed in with it all, it's just a mess of bullets everywhere.

Izcarielo

Banned
For people wondering about DLC.. I have a very reliable source that yes, we will get story DLC, which is targeted to be around 4 hours long. No ETA, other than it will take a while for it to be released.

Yesssssss day fucking one!
Im gonna guess its going to be
about killing Frau Engel and finishing the nazi empire

Footos22

Finished.
Dunno how long it took was no where near 20 hours though.

Last boss was super easy, fun though.
Back through on a easier difficulty to get the stuff I missed.

And if a GOAT is a 10 and this falls short, does it only fall to 9? I'd say it depends on how it falls short, and if it is in one small way or many things. Thus, I think my 7.5 or 8 is perfectly fair to it. However...

This, and your other statements seem to show your difference of perspective. You're going by a single metric, that of personal satisfaction. This is perfectly fine, but it is important to see it is tied to it is how you received its jack of all trades style. Rather admiring it than always feeling like it is coming up a bit short of something else you have experienced, even if (as it does for me) that ends up being one of half a dozen other things depending on what part of the game it is, you admire the provided breadth of experiences as a whole.

I can look at it that way, and it certainly does more things at once at a higher level than most anything else that has tried to do many things at once, but I think my score gives due honor to that accomplishment while also representing the persistent nagging itch for it all to be just a bit better even if I've never seen such a package and can't figure how the design challenges would be fully overcome. I'm not sitting here deeply satisfied (9) or blown away (10) so I have to recognize what it is in balance with my feeling.

To be honest I'm not seeing what there is to communicate besides personal satisfaction. It's not really a metric, but I'm opposed to suggesting that games must be "measured" in any objective capacity.

As for assessing the entire game: I'm not going to pull out the game's heart and wonder if the thing's still alive. Are the stealth mechanics strong enough to support an entire game? Probably not. But they're not being expected to. It's one part of a full game. It's a waste of time to look at anything but the whole when the whole is what is given to us.

As for comparing one game to the Best of Class, my point was that the game's shooting isn't as good as FEAR's, but that's a category shared with every other shooter ever. I don't care about your score (discussing them is a fool's argument) - it's just not really a point of definition.

I hope you don't take my posts as attacking you or your opinion however, just stirring discussion.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ah. If I could take the game as a whole, I could appreciate it only as a whole. However, I can only play one part at a time, one way at a time. So my esteem of it is held in that context of how I felt through the linear experience of its parts, rather than my altogether judgement of it as a work.

Deadbeat

Banned
For people wondering about DLC.. I have a very reliable source that yes, we will get story DLC, which is targeted to be around 4 hours long. No ETA, other than it will take a while for it to be released.
Will it be of BJ? Side story doc with other characters is usually meh.

SkylineRKR

That one circular room with the tube in the middle right before the big shootout had shrapnel bouncing around corners from angles like wtf. The Laserkraftwerk deals with them well enough, but when normal soldiers are mixed in with it all, it's just a mess of bullets everywhere.

I threw a nade at them and rushed to the left corridor. Went to town with dual wield shrapnel shotgun rounds and other nades. Everyone was dead. This worked out well on DI.

But they are nasty fuckers. I had issues with the one guy in 15 where you land all of a sudden and get ambushed. But Assault Rifle rockets sort of work wonders.

antitrop

PC Gamer gets it.

... this is still the most fun I've had with a singleplayer shooter since Bulletstorm, and the most substantially well-realised setting for a shooter campaign since Metro 2033. Its writing, music and environmental art all achieve far more than you might expect from the game about a preternaturally durable testicle with a revenge fetish and a gun in each hand. In a genre that is often overtaken by derivative or exploitative games, it's a pleasant surprise—a reminder of a time when a shooter's singleplayer campaign was the main event. A time when these games were made with attention to detail, care, and a bit of love.

AHA-Lambda

Man, that is high priase indded, and I can't argue, don't remember the last time I came away so content with a FPS campaign instead of just feeling ennui.

Yeah that's very well said. It really reminds me of the Metro games a lot in that they are both so clearly full of heart. It goes a long way.

I'm already looking forward to double dipping on PC and finishing it off for a first time. The
lunar
base level was really cool.

It's also impressive how much variety there is from level to level and how the weapon upgrades you find keep things really fresh.

VIEWTIFULJC, breh, how could you not tell me BJ quotes Sweet Smell of Success in this game?

This is GOAT status now.

"Cat's in the bag...bag's in the river" got a big smirk out of me, I admit

I also love the random terse tough guy recollections of his youthful experiences with water.

"Leeches...damn dirty leeches...like my skin was on fire. My skin was on fire..."

"Dove after my father's watch when I was 13. It was dark...but not as dark as this"

"Cat's in the bag...bag's in the river" got a big smirk out of me, I admit

I also love the random terse tough guy recollections of his youthful experiences with water.

"Leeches...damn dirty leeches...like my skin was on fire. My skin was on fire..."

"Dove after my father's watch when I was 13. It was dark...but not as dark as this"

Yeah those were amusing, unique little touches for sure. Like the kind of memories your mind drifts to unexpectedly while in the middle of a task. Stuff that's stuck with you for whatever reason.

Klyka

Banned
I don't say this lightly but the way this game presents itself, your part in the world and its characters is very VERY far ahead of pretty much 95% of shooters I have ever played. And i played a lot of them.

The game doesn't shy away from giving the player pause, it doesn't shy away from going "here is a task that is super mundane but we let you do it so you can take your time and walk around,explore and talk to people". It doesn't shy away from putting emotion into scenes that other games would play "super cool" or "edgy".

Honestly, the game is, compared to all other big "story" shooters, a fucking MARVEL.

Really quick, I know the PS4 and XBO versions run the same 1080p@60fps, but does one look better?

I own both systems and will download the game when I get home.

eshwaaz

I don't say this lightly but the way this game presents itself, your part in the world and its characters is very VERY far ahead of pretty much 95% of shooters I have ever played. And i played a lot of them.

The game doesn't shy away from giving the player pause, it doesn't shy away from going "here is a task that is super mundane but we let you do it so you can take your time and walk around,explore and talk to people". It doesn't shy away from putting emotion into scenes that other games would play "super cool" or "edgy".

Honestly, the game is, compared to all other big "story" shooters, a fucking MARVEL.
Well said; dead on. This game is a gem.

RedSwirl

By the way, anybody know how much of this game is FMV? Probably the main reason the game is 50GB. If so, developers need to stop doing this shit.

No seriously, how do they expect most people to download 50GB unless they got gigabit?

Got this from Gamefly today. I played a couple hours and it's great so far. The cutscenes are nice. Graphics are a bit on the ugly side, but it's the PS3 version, so I wasn't expecting anything great in that department. Just as long as it provides some fun Nazi killing, then i'll be satisfied.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Does anyone know if there is a way to enable dynamic resolution scaling on pc? Since I'm running dual core I wouldn't mind taking a hit during dense scenes.

By the way, anybody know how much of this game is FMV?

All of the letterboxed cutscenes are prerendered, but that's not why the game is so huge. There's about 30GB+ of virtual textures in there.

Nibel

Played about 1-2 hours and I'm pretty impressed by this game; the shooting feels good, light-stealth mechanics feel pretty natural, story and presentation are ace and the game oozes so much RTCW - it feels more like an id Software game to me than RAGE ever did

Also, pretty surprised by the characters; who the fuck would have thought that a Wolfenstein game would offer characters with such depth? The writing is so tight and flows perfectly in harmony with the tone of the game - huuuuuge Inglorious Basterds vibes

Machinegames: big kudos; can't wait to see what's waiting at the end of the tunnel

Metal-Geo

"Buoy" ... "Buoy"...

Fucking loved this game from start to finish. Going to run the Wyatt timeline pretty soon!

And I felt really, really depressed when I thought
Max Hass was getting killed... The scene where he's losing his shit 'cause of Klaus getting shot. Dem feels!

Forgot to mention in those impressions and PC Gamer reminded me, I really like the music here. Not just the wonderful alternate universe 50s pop song collectibles, but the actual in-game material. I think my favorite piece was near the beginning, the Deathshead interrogation. He's got such a deliciously scenery-chewing performance, but the oft-kilter music keeps you on edge. Very appropriate for the really quite terrifying situation you're in.

MattyG

Banned
I don't remember which review it was, but one said Deathshead was a generic and boring villain. I thought he was perfect. Probably one of the most terrifying villains in recent memory because of how unpredictable he is. And he has some excellent lines.

"You call me 'Deaths... head'. I don't like it. I'm a happy man. You see?"

BeerSnob

"Buoy" ... "Buoy"...

Fucking loved this game from start to finish. Going to run the Wyatt timeline pretty soon!

And I felt really, really depressed when I thought
Max Hass was getting killed... The scene where he's losing his shit 'cause of Klaus getting shot. Dem feels!

About that
Max was failed ubersoldat, wasn't he? It really, really seems like it.

MattyG

Banned
About that
Max was failed ubersoldat, wasn't he? It really, really seems like it.
Om5oj3B.gif

That makes so much sense. Don't know how I mever thought of that before.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
dat feel when you see a guard turn around the corner 20 feet away and you instantly get the arc perfect to stick a knife between his eyes

dat feel when you see a guard and toss a knife through his dick, then as he is reaching at it and doubling over you put a bullet through his skull. mercy kill.

Andrew.

Banned
Damn Dice

And yo that firefight at the end of Chapter 6 was some intense shit.
wasn't expecting to battle ED-209's grandfather either.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to...chapter 8, I think. The hanger shootout earlier was fucking crazy.

BROKE ALL YOUR SHIT

For all the talk of Uber being easy I've hit a few roadblock sections. The hallway at the end of chapter 4 with all the shotgun soldiers was the hardest for me so far, they down you really damn fast.

Forgot to mention in those impressions and PC Gamer reminded me, I really like the music here. Not just the wonderful alternate universe 50s pop song collectibles, but the actual in-game material. I think my favorite piece was near the beginning, the Deathshead interrogation. He's got such a deliciously scenery-chewing performance, but the oft-kilter music keeps you on edge. Very appropriate for the really quite terrifying situation you're in.

Mick Gordon the based god. Too bad the mix is so fucked.

-Amon-

Bought for ps4.

An hour in, looks solid but .....

They really need to fix the sound mix issues.

Forced audio output to dolby, a little better but still not there.

Sound quality is too important in these kind of games to let slip an issue like this past gold.

eshwaaz

I really like this line from the PC Gamer review:
PC Gamer said:
In a genre that is often overtaken by derivative or exploitative games, it's a pleasant surprise—a reminder of a time when a shooter's singleplayer campaign was the main event. A time when these games were made with attention to detail, care, and a bit of love.

Duxxy3

Bought for ps4.

An hour in, looks solid but .....

They really need to fix the sound mix issues.

Forced audio output to dolby, a little better but still not there.

Sound quality is too important in these kind of games to let slip an issue like this past gold.

The sound mix is by far my biggest problem with the game. It should not have gone to release without default settings thoroughly tested.

For all the shit that bf and cod get, the sound is spot on. Can pinpoint a Gunshot's direction and position with no problem.

zorbsie

I don't remember which review it was, but one said Deathshead was a generic and boring villain. I thought he was perfect. Probably one of the most terrifying villains in recent memory because of how unpredictable he is. And he has some excellent lines.

"You call me 'Deaths... head'. I don't like it. I'm a happy man. You see?"

Totally agree with you. First mission kinda spoiler
His reveal through the glass in the first mission was just perfect. He didn't have to say anything. Just the look made me jump. And then he simply says, "What are you doing in there?".
His face is so detailed. Actually, the faces in the game are really well done.

Not sure that needed to be covered up, but better safe than sorry.

MattyG

Banned
Totally agree with you. First mission kinda spoiler
His reveal through the glass in the first mission was just perfect. He didn't have to say anything. Just the look made me jump. And then he simply says, "What are you doing in there?".
His face is so detailed. Actually, the faces in the game are really well done.

Not sure that needed to be covered up, but better safe than sorry.
The kind of corny horror music sound when he slid the glass cover off was so good.

"Ah hahaha. What are you people doing in there?"

Well now I have to go play that part again.

Top Bottom