• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Does replaying a chapter fuck up your save? IE: Should I not do it during the middle of a Ch.?

I wanted to show my wife the Train-ride scene

thanks

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does replaying a chapter fuck up your save? IE: Should I not do it during the middle of a Ch.?
Yes, you will have to resume from the beginning of the chapter before the chapter you have in progress. In that sense, it's worse than Mortal Kombat, but it is better than Mortal Kombat in that you don't have to repeat anything if you just want to quit and resume from where you were.

Damn Dice
I didn't mean to do the second one. I just messed up the knife arc and the shot came out naturally. Then the animation was so convincing I was like "oh shit, that just happened" and I felt like I should take a shower.

snip
8/10

I can get behind that. Fantastic gunplay (the level of visual recoil here should be standard for shooters), varied pacing, and satisfying length. The pacing is especially good, with Machine Games knowing when to scale back the intensity and let the game breathe, as opposed to simply giving B.J. different stuff to do (not that there's any shortage of unique scenarios). Nitpicks would be some spots of odd design (I believe I ended two extremely difficult encounters early by interacting with an exit level point) and the occasional wonky stuff that happens when sneaking (sightlines, etc). Also, Chapter 14 was so fucking trollish on Uber with the intro fight after breaking through the window, and frequent ambushes. The final boss
was about as good as a high-HP hitscan projectile-spraying shooter boss can be, which is to say not very good (on Uber at least), but the escalating atmosphere of the fight with the fire was pretty awesome.

Music was amazing when it was allowed to bleed through the sound mix. The heavy guitar riffs before the final fight were hype as fuck, as was the chapter 15 theme. Deathshead's theme in chapter 1 was also a highlight. Mick Gordon continues to impress.

Speaking of sound, I use an Astro Mixamp which only accepts Dolby Digital through optical. Apparently setting the audio out on PS4 to DD5.1 fixes some of the issues, but the music was still very low for me. The guns mostly sounded decent, though. Nothing like spraying down a hallway with dual assault rifles. And dat visual recoil when spraying.

Fantastic journey overall. I've never considered myself a Wolfenstein fan but this one really won me over. It knows what it is and executes on its promises, mitigating most of its (relatively minor, for the most part) shortcomings by taking interesting narrative and mechanical risks. I'm eager to see what Machine Games comes up with next.

RobbieNick

Rented the PS3 version from Redbox to give it a try. It's fun, but MAN! Is it starting to feel last gen. Texture pop-up is everywhere and it takes forever for some textures to load. The more I play it, the more I want the PS4 version. I'm not gonna get far in it so I can eventually enjoy it on PS4.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't remember which review it was, but one said Deathshead was a generic and boring villain. I thought he was perfect. Probably one of the most terrifying villains in recent memory because of how unpredictable he is. And he has some excellent lines.

"You call me 'Deaths... head'. I don't like it. I'm a happy man. You see?"

All the Nazis are "generic" in that they're exaggerated caricatures of psychopaths and thus nothing we haven't really seen before or come to expect from pulpy World War II themed movies, novels, games, and whatever else. But this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Complaints like that seem to overlook the thematic direction New Order, and all previous Wolfenstein's, have gone for: pulpy, grindhouse-like vision of Nazi Germany that is generally unrealistic yet mixed with confronting imagery and ultra violence that is naturally a product of the source material. It's a trope of the fictional Nazi caricature; you can't have an unrealistic super scientist with a passion for human experimentation and not draw parallels to the real atrocities of the Reich (and others).

At the same time, I don't feel this caricature requires further development. They're caricatures for this reason; relatively two dimensional yet detestable for simple, straightforward reasoning. Deathshead is a monster that revels in human suffering. That's enough.

RedSwirl

Probably less than an hour in, the main thing I'm getting about this game is that it's a pretty standard modern first person shooter -- except it employs actual level design instead of roller coasters with QTEs. It feels like there's a little bit more actual substance to the game.

I hereby lobby that all (or most) awesome shooter weapons also double as some kind of construction equipment.

I'll never look at chain link fences and perforated metal boxes and shutters the same way ever again.

I kept thinking Bulletstorm while playing the game.
A tad of Bulletstorm, even a smidge of Resistance, and my personal favorite, some Return to Castle Wolfenstein in the mix, aww yeah.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Probably less than an hour in, the main thing I'm getting about this game is that it's a pretty standard modern first person shooter -- except it employs actual level design instead of roller coasters with QTEs. It feels like there's a little bit more actual substance to the game.
I know it is hard to imagine after all the modern FPS games, but this one actually goes on to do different things and takes you on a journey. The first hour is by no means a representation of everything to come. I think the beginning is actually specifically designed to be more like other shooters than the rest of the game so people who are used to them can settle in.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was super disappointed after the first hour because it felt so boring and standard that I had a hard time convincing myself to start up the game again.

12-15 hours later, woop. The most fun I had with an FPS since Bioshock in 2008.

I am very surprised by this development.

All the Nazis are "generic" in that they're exaggerated caricatures of psychopaths and thus nothing we haven't really seen before or come to expect from pulpy World War II themed movies, novels, games, and whatever else. But this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Complaints like that seem to overlook the thematic direction New Order, and all previous Wolfenstein's, have gone for: pulpy, grindhouse-like vision of Nazi Germany that is generally unrealistic yet mixed with confronting imagery and ultra violence that is naturally a product of the source material. It's a trope of the fictional Nazi caricature; you can't have an unrealistic super scientist with a passion for human experimentation and not draw parallels to the real atrocities of the Reich (and others).

At the same time, I don't feel this caricature requires further development. They're caricatures for this reason; relatively two dimensional yet detestable for simple, straightforward reasoning. Deathshead is a monster that revels in human suffering. That's enough.

We really need to break free of this trope. I need a Nazi villain I can sympathize with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was super disappointed after my first hour because it felt so boring and standard that I had a hard time convincing myself to start up the game again.

12-15 hours later, woop. The most fun I had with an FPS since Bioshock in 2008.

I am very surprised by this development.

Opening with that rail shooter segment was definitely not the best choice.

I'm only about an hour in, but this might be the greatest FPS I've played in years. The narrative and setting are awesome. Yeah, shooting people into a bloody pulp is fun too.

Love you, Starbreeze.

RedSwirl

Sorry to shamelessly pimp my blog here but I went ahead an posted some really quick PS3 tech impressions since I'd heard almost nothing about that or the Xbox 360 version.

http://noplatform.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/wolfenstein-the-new-order-ps3-tech-impressions/

Quick points:
-Texture resolution and anti-aliasing basically gone.
-Visible texture pop-in but definitely not as bad as the PS3 version of RAGE.
-Still runs at 60 frames per second and is surprisingly stable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I will say, the difficulty spike at the start of (late game)
London
can fuck right off.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Finished the game a few hours ago. Solid all the way through. I honestly can't understand the pre-release impressions that claimed the game fell apart after chapter 8. Such complete bullshit. If people cancelled their preorders because of that, it's a damn shame.

Levyne

Banned
These Ramona diaries are weird, you can't play them while not in the menu? Feels stilted to have to open it up and listen whenever the game hands you a new entry. To be honest I haven't been listening to them. Unless I'm missing something?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
These Ramona diaries are weird, you can't play them while not in the menu? Feels stilted to have to open it up and listen whenever the game hands you a new entry. To be honest I haven't been listening to them. Unless I'm missing something?

They're one of my favorite things in the game. Well written, well acted, and hit you pretty hard.

I played Wolf 2009 and tons of Enemy Territory MP. Tried to get started on RTCW several times, always peter out early. After playing New Order, it got me thinking. Should I try again?

My least liked part of the game, not at all handled as well as other dialogues.

Really don't understand the difficulty spike complaints. I beat the game on Uber and it was really, really easy throughout. When you get to heavier enemies in the game use the LKG's scope charge to kill them in one hit, and then go recharge.

Use leaning!

Are you are talking about the part where
you crash through a window

Personally I
immediately sniped the commander in the booth with the Marksman, then used the LKW's charge function to kill the shotgun trooper.
I wonder if anyone else had a different strategy for Uber?

Even after that part, the whole level is fucking ambushes.

Dawg

Really don't understand the difficulty spike complaints. I beat the game on Uber and it was really, really easy throughout. When you get to heavier enemies in the game use the LKG's scope charge to kill them in one hit, and then go recharge.

One part where I had trouble was the
hall with all those robots and a lot of soldiers in final chapter

I have to agree that the first hour is very typical FPS shit. I was kinda regretting using my target giftcard for the game, then all of a sudden shit got real! I really enjoy the story elements so far, and the gameplay is great. Definitely reminds me of bioshock, which is a great fucking thing.

Use leaning!

I agree. The fact that enemies don't follow you very far allows for numerous strategies when the heavies show up in Uber difficulty.

Nemesis_

One part where I had trouble was the
hall with all those robots and a lot of soldiers in final chapter

Yeah the level is so intricately designed it's hard to cover all the potential entry points no matter where you go. There's such an eclectic bunch of enemies too so holing yourself up in a corner isn't really viable especially on Uber.

I just ran from one end of the map to another, using my LKW for the heavy enemies and everything else in between.

I died most in that part easily. Had no problems in London though like Eats said. I thought that was rather easy.

Those shotgun soldiers really take you down quickly in Uber though. It's crazy ._.

DukeBobby

Use leaning!

That scope charge is a thing of beauty. Time it right, and you can blow 3-4 enemies to smithereens.

Gibs galore!

EatChildren

I'm playing on Death Incarnate. Not pro enough for Uber until my second playthrough.

I simply dislike the encounter concept and hate it when shooters do shit like this:
strip you of previously acquired equipment while also significantly reducing availability of health, armour, ammunition, and new equipment, all the while throwing you into encounters composed of tiny rooms and hallways either filled with hitscan enemies and/or heavily armoured shotgun dudes with fucking bouncing rounds that can and will hit you around corners.
For me this feels like the design has bottlenecked and I, as a player, have had my tactical options limited as the game presents more streamlined, puzzle-like encounters that I feel I need to 'cheese' more than actually 'play'. It's totally doable, it just feels like regressive design to favour a difficulty spike, to me.

But like all things a difficult spike is subjective and what's hard for me is easy for someone else.

Andrew.

Banned
My god chapter 8 is fucking amazing.

Also, when people explode using the laser Kraftwerk it reminds me of the weaponry used in District 9.

Dawg

Yeah the level is so intricately designed it's hard to cover all the potential entry points no matter where you go. There's such an eclectic bunch of enemies too so holing yourself up in a corner isn't really viable especially on Uber.

I just ran from one end of the map to another, using my LKW for the heavy enemies and everything else in between.

I died most in that part easily. Had no problems in London though like Eats said. I thought that was rather easy.

Those shotgun soldiers really take you down quickly in Uber though. It's crazy ._.

Pretty much. That hall in chapter 16 and the final boss
flame room
were the only two parts I really died a lot. Overall quite an easy difficulty despite the devs saying it would make you cry blood :p

antitrop

The best thing about the very end of The Darkness was that your powers become fully realized, then game starts throwing tons of easily dispatchable thugs at you just to show you how powerful you are. Just biting heads off, throwing people around, and sucking half a dozen people into a Black Hole at a time. Incredible stuff.

The Scope on the LKG is really the only thing that comes close to that, but I don't think Wolfenstein gives you quite the same level of empowerment. Slightly disappointed about that, because it worked so well in The Darkness.

Levyne

Banned
Is it the same as the scope itself? I'm also a bit stuck at the start of chapter 14. Don't have a lot of weapons, 60 health and no armor. Maybe I can reload the chapter and better suit myself.

I really like this line from the PC Gamer review:

Wow, I didn't read the PCGamer review but man that really hits how I feel about the game overall on the head.

It really took me back to when first person shooters and single player games were my favorite experiences, and before the times of throwaway terribly designed crap.

Top Bottom