• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Finally beat it and one of my favorite FPSs in a long while. Probably the last one this good was DX:HR. Goddamn some parts on Uber SUCKED (hard as shit).

I really do think it's a pretty sad ending. I wish he had a better chance for a better life and be happy with Anya. The whole brain in the robot thing was sad, but how it was taken out of him (I did Wyatt) actually made me pretty queezy. Goddamn, that room with all the uber guys on Uber difficulty can go fuck itself (near the end of Chapter 16).

DieH@rd

Banned
Beginning-ish of the 3rd chapter, after you clear the first area - just inside the door the soldier
who gets blasted by Granny
opens for you:

http://i.imgur.com/ycZg6Oa.jpg

Let the nazis inside see you, but don't enter the room - just peek inside until a guard stops in this position:

http://i.imgur.com/VZGWFTs.jpg

I got three kills at the second try here, but it's kind of random. The checkpoint is right there, though.

Thanks very much. I planned to revisit that chapter anyhow to grind "mechanical enemy death by grenade" perk [2 robots at the end].

Just finished the
London whatever-its-called boss. Took me a bit to get the realize the "shoot the eye, run underneath and shoot" pattern (hard to hear radio), but once I did it was easy. That moon section was fucking great, beautiful section when you walk on the surface. The laser snipers are also super fun to dual wield.

We'll see if the apparently dreaded last boss affects my opinion of the game, but overall I think the game has only continued to get better as it progresses.

Xemnas89

Played through this game with my brother earlier this week and I absolutely loved this game. I really haven't been a fan of shooters over the last few years but this game really pulled me in. For me it was just some crazy good shooter action with a pretty good story and that was all I really needed. If more first person shooters could pull me in like this in the future I'd very much enjoy that.

Snoshado

Banned
After reading all the praise this game has gotten, I'm so disappoint. I can't put my finger on it but parts of the game feel repetitive the more I play. I'm close to 7 hours through the campaign and I'm honestly bored.

The graphics aren't as impressive as I expected but I can say that 1080p and 60fps is a nice touch - everything is extremely smooth!

Overall, I'd rate this game a 6/10.

In all honesty, I had much more fun with the Killzone: Shadowfall campaign.

Just finished the
London whatever-its-called boss. Took me a bit to get the realize the "shoot the eye, run underneath and shoot" pattern (hard to hear radio), but once I did it was easy. That moon section was fucking great, beautiful section when you walk on the surface. The laser snipers are also super fun to dual wield.

We'll see if the apparently dreaded last boss affects my opinion of the game, but overall I think the game has only continued to get better as it progresses.

I beat the last boss on my first try in Uber mode. It's incredibly easy and I can't understand any of the people who had issues.

antitrop

I thought overall both Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon were better single player FPS's (as you can tell I don't value story that much) just because it let you take things as you wanted as opposed to forcing you the one way or the other. I think if either of those games didn't have side objectives and were just missions strung together they'd easily be worse than this game however.

I thought Far Cry 3 would have been a much better game if it was more linear and didn't have as much bar-filling, tedious side content. I felt like I was wasting so much time in that game, walking across an island for long stretches of doing nothing to get to another objective, boring hunting, lame crafting, etc. Didn't help that the story sucked.

So, typical Ubisoft.

EDIT: I much preferred the way Crytek did it with Far Cry 1 and Crysis, where they give you very large, sandboxy levels, rather than true open-worlds. I find them very tedious.

I had no idea that Deathshead was voiced by Dwight Schultz. Wow, I basically had a huge nerd moment there. Who knew that Reginald Barclay could play someone so evil.

protonion

Most fun I had on my PS4! I'm on chapter 8 I think and I already look forward to my second playthrough.

Did anyone else encounter a glitch(?) in the
sewers?

When I swim on the surface the lighting goes crazy...

DieH@rd

Banned
I had no idea that Deathshead was voiced by Dwight Schultz. Wow, I basically had a huge nerd moment there. Who knew that Reginald Barclay could play someone so evil.

WHAAAAAAAAT?

original.jpg

:-O

How does the ending "reek" of a sequel?
The main antagonist is dead, and so is BJ Blasko, presumably. There's room for a sequel yes, but it's more than fine as a standalone story. I was worried they were going to go in the other direction and have a ragtag group of 7-8 rebels topple the entire Nazi regime.

if they were going to end it, and i highly doubt with that ending that BJ is dead at all, then why not show the nukes destroying everything? show us this master plan actually happens. show us the entire nazi site bombed to kingdom come. instead it fades out when bj gives the all clear easily readying them, if the game is a success, to continue the next game right where this one left off. probably them saving bj in some last minute shit by picking him up with the choppers. and yeah, deathshead, a villain from the last game that carried over to this one finally died but now they have mangled face lady who actually was more of a villain in this one anyways still kicking about. you can feel like they put a nice bow on this if you want, but it didn't cut it for me. if a sequel doesn't come about doing exactly what i'm imagining it would, then i'll sit comfortably knowing i can let my imagination fill in what i wish they would have shown. otherwise i'll wait for the predictable business.

I suck. I'm getting killed every five seconds on the bridge section. Plus I fall off the bridge a lot.

http://youtu.be/exAYXSu4Gcs

Tizoc

Didn't get to play much yesterday but gonna try and finish up as much as possible today as I'm on my way to
The Lunar Base, guess I'm 2-3 chapters away from beating the game now?

notBald

EDIT: I much preferred the way Crytek did it with Far Cry 1 and Crysis, where they give you very large, sandboxy levels, rather than true open-worlds. I find them very tedious.

Yeah. FarCry 2 was fun until I got to the car. Blood dragon until the second side quest.

Open world games are tedious and unfulfilling. Perhaps I'd like them more if NPC characters reacted more like real humans would, but instead they follow a script and don't give much of a damn, and unless it's scripted nothing you do makes much difference to the world.

RPG and Zelda games have the same problem. I got no problem with other folks liking games like these type of games, but are side-quests from snotty npcs and collectibles all that fun?

What would you say if some guy in green came into your house, broke all the pottery and harassed your chickens? Perhaps that's why they give you those delivery missions; Only way to get heroes to leave the village.

I beat the last boss on my first try in Uber mode. It's incredibly easy and I can't understand any of the people who had issues.

Playing on "normal" or whatever I died probably 15 times.

The first phase it wasn't clear to me how to survive long enough to make the sprint up to the flak guns. Took a couple deaths to work out.

Second phase, I kept hitting him with grenades, the rocket from the AR and dual shotties but he just WOULD NOT DIE. Eventually I look up a guide and it says "use the laser!" so I do and kill him first try!

notBald

The first phase it wasn't clear to me how to survive long enough to make the sprint up to the flak guns. Took a couple deaths to work out.
I found that switching to the knife let me sprint much faster, fast enough to make it to the flaks alive. Saved me the trouble of figuring out the boss pattern.

Playing on "normal" or whatever I died probably 15 times.

Second phase, I kept hitting him with grenades, the rocket from the AR and dual shotties but he just WOULD NOT DIE. Eventually I look up a guide and it says "use the laser!" so I do and kill him first try!

The first thing I did was throw a grenade at him in the first phrase which made him blabber and brought my attention to the balloons. Just threw more grenades before running and had no issues.

In the second part I knew to use the laser because it's what one shotted all the other heavy enemies. Once I ran out I just used the assault rifle's rockets while circle strafing. Barely took any damage. Maybe I'm just better at games than I think, lol.

RPG and Zelda games have the same problem. I got no problem with other folks liking games like these type of games, but are side-quests from snotty npcs and collectibles all that fun.

If they're as good as Majora's Mask, definitely. Probably my favourite side-quests of any game.

olimpia84

I was enjoying this game so much but now the second half of the game (
from the bridge level onwards)
is driving me nuts. I guess the fact that I'm playing the game on Uber is not helping the cause but it's extremely frustrating to kill a million of the armored nazis just to get killed at the end of a section and having to re-do everything again =/

For people who have played Rage on console and playing Wolfenstein on PS4/XB1, how do the controls feel? I played Rage on PS3 and I felt like the controls felt a little sluggish. I remember cranking the sensitivity to max in order to make the controls feel somewhat similar to most other FPS games I play.

Like, going ADS in Rage I found it really sluggish. I know that looking down the sights it's supposed to be a little slower for finer aiming but it felt a bit cluncky in Rage. Do the controls feel snappier in Wolfenstein? I'd be playing this on PS4.

I think its perfect on PS4, controls-wise.

Skyzard

Banned
Had to re-download Watch Dogs yesterday, trying to solve a problem. Was pretty bummed out.

Wolfenstein had me hooked for hours and I was in the mood for Watch Dogs! Great buy.

antitrop

antitrop, you've played The Darkness and Riddick right?

I played The Darkness when it came out, loved it, and I played through a little bit of Riddick when the 360 remake came out, but never finished it. I do plan on playing through Riddick on PC soon.

As someone who has no problem tackling games on their hardest difficulty, I just find your statement hard to believe.

Not sure why, I have no problems admitting when I am terrible at a game or die a lot. It's just an incredibly easy fight. All you do is circle strafe and shoot rockets. That is literally it. There are health and armor pick ups in nearly every place you can stand.

And given the rest of the game you know grenades stun so the solution was rather obvious for the first part.

Oneself

For people who have played Rage on console and playing Wolfenstein on PS4/XB1, how do the controls feel? I played Rage on PS3 and I felt like the controls felt a little sluggish. I remember cranking the sensitivity to max in order to make the controls feel somewhat similar to most other FPS games I play.

Like, going ADS in Rage I found it really sluggish. I know that looking down the sights it's supposed to be a little slower for finer aiming but it felt a bit cluncky in Rage. Do the controls feel snappier in Wolfenstein? I'd be playing this on PS4.
Well, after Killzone, BF & COD, it feels a bit sluggish. Probably due to the automatic acceleration of the "view/aim" stick.
I did crank up the sensitivity and it feels great now.

Also, even on PS4, it looks ugly.

Yes, and as I'm strafing, I become immune to environmental hazards :(

I've experimented with getting in close and circling. It doesn't work. The fight is hard because you have to watch two things: his position and what's going on around you. If you're close, you have to watch for blast from your grenades. If you're far, you have to be able to see him while dodging other elements. There is just so much going on while you're trying not to get one shot'D. 15 grenades didn't kill him for me. Ever. Didn't even waste any during his recovery.

By grenades I meant to use for the first part, didn't use them at all/didn't have any for the second. And I'm not really sure what to suggest because as I said I did it on my first try. I just kept moving, shooting between pillars as I went and the armor/health pickups negated any fire damage. Think there's rocket ammo down there as I had a ton and it's the only thing I used outside of one fully charged laser blast.

Drewsky

Yup, and I even watched the cutscenes over again. There are plenty of games where I skip the stupid cutscenes even on the first playthrough, so that's saying something.

Yeah me too. Unfortunately I found that all the people complaining about the sound mixing in this game were totally right, so I actually missed a lot of dialogue the first time through. So watching the cutscenes and listening to all the dialogue carefully on my second go through was half the reason I wanted to do it.

just want to thank you for rocking a Hitman avatar
Hell yeah man.

How does the PS4 version compare to the PC version on highest settings?

It feels really fluid and looks great on PS4, seems like 60fps?

(I want this developer to work on a HERETIC 1 remake)

Really dig this game, but the checkpoints are too far apart.

It is completely pathetic that I can't save at any time in 2014 when this was a standard feature in the original wolfenstein.

People like to rant about graphical prowess on PC when the thing that's truly pathetic is that console games and ports are still built around limitations that haven't had any technical justification for 3+ hardware cycles.

delta25

Banned
To pc's highest settings?? Not quite there

actually it is, both digital foundry' comparison/faceoff and various other video comparisons will attest to this.

DF
The end result of these upgrades on the PC is that the gritty visual presentation in Wolfenstein presents as a slightly more refined version of the console editions

When looking at the comparisons and what DF talks about in regards to the PC advantages, you would need a microscope in order to tell the difference. So yes in reality they are near identical.

Cloudy

Banned
Man, this game is so fun. Can't remember the last time I had this much fun in a FPS. Just too bad there's no multiplayer. I'd much rather have great campaign with no online than Titanfall model though

Really dig this game, but the checkpoints are too far apart.

Yeah, I've had to replay some sections over and over but it feels great when you figure it out lol

olimpia84

I'm near the end and it's getting extremely frustrating. 'Hey the player is about to beat the game, let's throw all the toughest enemies in every single section to make it challenging'

antitrop

I'm near the end and it's getting extremely frustrating. 'Hey the player is about to beat the game, let's throw all the toughest enemies in every single section to make it challenging'

I played on "BRING'EM ON!" and thought the game followed a nice difficulty curve, I found the last levels very satisfying without being frustrating. But even then, there were still some rooms that were just "Use the LKG ADS or die".

Some people enjoy the challenges of higher difficulties, I guess, but I think this game is at its best when you're sliding down hallways dual-firing auto-shotguns without much fear of death.

Top Bottom