• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

actually it is, both digital foundry' comparison/faceoff and various other video comparisons will attest to this.

DF

When looking at the comparisons and what DF talks about in regards to the PC advantages, you would need a microscope in order to tell the difference. So yes in reality they are near identical.

Well on PC you can enable AA. But other than that they're pretty much the same. Made a quick screenshot comparison

PC
PS4

Dilly

Banned
Just use the right weapons for the right enemies, the heavies go down with only 1-2 rockets or by flanking them and shooting them in the back.

Dual wield AR with one rocket launcher and you're done.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Best Wolfenstein I've ever played, and I'm not finished yet. Guns are so satisfying to use, and while it's not the best looking game around, it gets the job done. I like the way they handle "perks".

Leb

Well on PC you can enable AA. But other than that they're pretty much the same. Made a quick screenshot comparison

PC
PS4

I'm still very surprised that they thought SSR represented a fair trade-off for real AA. I mean, I think I noticed SSR once, whereas the jaggies are evident everywhere, all the time, even at 1200p.

Metal-Geo

Stupid question, but if you start a new game, you don't keep any of your skills that you've unlocked do you?
That's right. What you want to do, in that case, is go to Chapters and start from the very first chapter (doesn't matter which timeline)

If you do start a new game, you'll lose all health and armour upgrades as well as chapter progression. So be careful with that.

That's right. What you want to do, in that case, is go to Chapters and start from the very first chapter (doesn't matter which timeline)

If you do start a new game, you'll lose all health and armour upgrades as well as chapter progression. So be careful with that.

I ask because I only got half of the explosive perks...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Zavvi has the occupied edition for £39.99, should I bite?

SparkTR

How does the PS4 version compare to the PC version on highest settings?

It feels really fluid and looks great on PS4, seems like 60fps?

(I want this developer to work on a HERETIC 1 remake)

There's some more advanced lighting and DoF effects on PC, as well as IQ related stuff.

codhand

Love the faces of these dudes

This has to be a Syndicate reference, intense opening to this chapter
iv5hsec4Kagh5.gif

this would make a great, bish banned gif.

Just finished. Fucking awesome game. Final boss battle wasn't bad? Granted, I played on Bring Em On, but it wasn't poorly designed or too hard to recognize what you need to do.

Hopefully we'll get a sequel from Machine Games. Fantastic job.

Sullichin

I finished this game today as well. I beat everything except the last half of chapter 16 on the second hardest difficulty. I just got tired of dealing with many heavy enemies who could kill me instantly and I was ready to finish the game.

This is an excellent game and I'm sure it will rank high on my GOTY list. Comparing it to Metro LL, which I enjoyed a lot, Wolfenstein has even more satisfying shooting and the campaign / story is far more interesting. I was not expecting to like or even care about the story going in, but I was pleasantly surprised pretty much right off the bat with the great writing and characters. The character models and animation are incredible.

The few fetch quests aren't obnoxious but might as well not exist. They basically serve to give you excuses to interact with other characters to trigger cutscenes. I thought the game was paced well overall, but the stealth segments never felt as fun as tearing shit up with shrapnel ammo auto shotguns. The AI just becomes braindead, and it's baffling that suddenly none of them have guns, which I assume is the case simply because the game doesn't want you to have a gun at that point and you'd be able to pick up theirs.

It doesn't have the biggest weapon selection but it's fined tuned that they're all useful in different ways. It doesn't need more guns. The auto-acquired perk system is a really nice touch that keeps things fresh despite using the same weapons for the entire game. There's a level of destructibility to the environment and characters not found in most games.

delta25

Banned
There's some more advanced lighting and DoF effects on PC, as well as IQ related stuff.

A few extra light shafts is hardly advanced, these are as DF puts it "slight". Again the differences are miniscule in comparisons, and considering the PC version being plagued with all kinds of performances issues you'd probably be wise to stick with either the xbone or PS4 version.

Nori Chan

I got a glitch where I unlocked a perk but it didn't give me the achievement associated with it. Xbox one version, has anyone gotten this, and if so, how can I fix it?

Tigress

kL1x0FR.png

tX62N9Q.png

Bill O'Reilly can't explain that.

Of course this is totally my opinion but...

That above is just totally not right. Wolfenstein is a far better game. Maybe it doesn't have a surprise twist that will shock and amaze you at the end (to tell the truth I haven't reached it) but it tells its story far better, does a better job of having you play through the story rather than have you shoot things and give you story as a reward in the end (Infinite really felt like a digital equivelant of a carnival shooting game where they give you a story that is supposed to represent it and you are just supposed to shoot things as they pop up and the story is the excuse for why you are shooting things), and has much better gameplay. And has better pacing and more varied gameplay, it makes sure you aren't just getting bored doing the same thing over and over and over again until you finally reach the end.

nded

Unfortunately, quality is no guarantee of popularity. It just so happens "a deep story" and visual spectacle make a better first impression than challenge and extremely solid game mechanics, at least at a casual glance.

StevieP

Banned
A few extra light shafts is hardly advanced, these are as DF puts it "slight". Again the differences are miniscule in comparisons, and considering the PC version being plagued with all kinds of performances issues you'd probably be wise to stick with either the xbone or PS4 version.

In what universe is it a better idea to ever get the console version of a multi platform title for "performance" reasons? Good god. I mean it's not just a couple light shafts we are talking about here, and that's even beyond the fact that you can do AA on PC. There are higher levels of.... Everything pretty much. And as always, it's customizable to your liking based on hardware and which level of performance you want. I personally never had any performance issues with the title maxed out on everything except that number of texture preloads it does or whatever it is. On my amd crossfire setup it would stutter at the beginning of a level when it was loading the VTs, so I hit the arrow down once on the setting and everything else was gravy.

That's not the say the console version is shit (in fact it's turned out nicely) but to actively recommend it for performance reasons is.... Suspect to say the least.

friday

More reasons why meta critic is an absolute horse shit way to judge things. Can't wait to see what machine games does next.

eshwaaz

About halfway into my third playthrough. I just can't stop playing this game. Machine Games deserves a big seller here.

delta25

Banned
In what universe is it a better idea to ever get the console version of a multi platform title for "performance" reasons? Good god. I mean it's not just a couple light shafts we are talking about here, and that's even beyond the fact that you can do AA on PC. There are higher levels of.... Everything pretty much. And as always, it's customizable to your liking based on hardware and which level of performance you want. I personally never had any performance issues with the title maxed out on everything except that number of texture preloads it does or whatever it is. On my amd crossfire setup it would stutter at the beginning of a level when it was loading the VTs, so I hit the arrow down once on the setting and everything else was gravy.

That's not the say the console version is shit (in fact it's turned out nicely) but to actively recommend it for performance reasons is.... Suspect to say the least.
we must have read two complety different DF articles . Last I checked there was thread dedicated to trying to solve all the performace issue with the PC version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game is really damn good. Seven hours in now and it keeps getting better.

A damn shame about the texture pop-in issues on the PC, though. This engine really is not made for quick movement with a mouse.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished.

Excellent game, wished there was more to the ending though :(

now to replay with the other timeline.

Leb

Man, this game is really damn good. Seven hours in now and it keeps getting better.

A damn shame about the texture pop-in issues on the PC, though. This engine really is not made for quick movement with a mouse.

Sadly, I feel like the difficulty levels were also designed around an analog stick. I've been playing it through on Uber and it's so easy it's almost laughable. There isn't even a tiny bit of challenge; the parts that people have been complaining about in this thread have proven, at worst, tedious when played through with a mouse.

notBald

we must have read two complety different DF articles . Last I checked there was thread dedicated to trying to solve all the performace issue with the PC version.

Every single PC game has performance issues, every single one unfortunately. Personally I've almost never had a PC game I couldn't play after a few tweaks in the settings (I usually lower resolution and switch on vsynch).

Syndicat (The FPS made by Starbreeze) is one of the rare exceptions, as it's impossible to get good mouse/keyboard controls on that game. Plugging in a controller works, but then I might as well play it on the PS3. (Though even with the broken controls, the game is still fun)

On graphics. Playing Syndicat right after Wolfenstein was interesting. It's a game from 2012, but I immediately noticed the step down in graphics. Wolfenstein's textures probably looks worse up close, but the game definitely is a step up from 2012 shooters - and not a step back to 2007 as some say :)

glaurung

Completed the game... for as much as I care. Mopped up every trophy except for Super Hero and Über Hero.

Played the entire game on Über, but the last phase of the last boss fight is so fucking cheap, I could not kill it on Über. Fuck that cheating design bullshit. Will give another try some time in the future, after I care enough to wade through the final level again.

Overall I liked it, but the graphics were really inconsistent on the PS4. Some places look solid, but some textures and models are abysmally bad.

Will shell out for the DLC/sequel, featuring
the Venus base and Frau Engel.

DieH@rd

Banned
Played the entire game on Über, but the last phase of the last boss fight is so fucking cheap, I could not kill it on Über. [/SPOILER]

It is not that hard. Just run away a lot and evade those environmental threats. I used only railgun.

You can also finish him off with dual grenade launchers if you have ~20 grenades and 400+ of health [just stand in front of him and fire].

Mik3F

The final boss (first stage) was the only part that gave me trouble on Uber. It took me around a dozen tries before I got to the second stage.

Enjoyed the game whilst it lasted and got all the trophies, sold it on for a decent fee too

glaurung

It is not that hard. Just run away a lot and evade those environmental threats. I used only railgun.

You can also finish him off with dual grenade launchers if you have ~20 grenades and 400+ of health [just stand in front of him and fire].
Yeah, I saw some dudes who did that on YT. But I could not reproduce it.

I brought my A-game to that fight and even after pumping all of my rockets and 'nades into him, I could not get him down. I did go and grind out my missing perks then (the one that gives more rocket ammo). And I intend to reattempt this thing. Just need to conserve all of my rockets for that phase.

I actually just ignored the fire, circle strafing around him and shooting him with about 25 rockets. I had about 190 health and 50 armour at the start of the battle.

Top Bottom