• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Cubed

Well I finally beat the game on Uber difficulty. I have also found all of the collectibles so all that's left for me to do is earn three more demolition perks and I'll have my platinum trophy.

Such a great, great game.

Guevara

Classic Game Room Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxs3c2aqyU0
i1FV3eCu9UTT6.gif

"One of the best storyline-driven FPS I've ever played."

"So, what does this game do right that so many games do wrong? Well, in short, EVERYTHING."

"I think this is one of the best of the year. Any year, because it's that damn good."
This review convinced me to pick up the game (after I get a PS4).

Probably no reviewer I trust more to tell me if a game is fun, or not.

Chap. 10
lacks action, but is quite atmospheric. Or at least, it's a change of atmosphere. The swimming mechanic kinds of getting in the way though. It isn't bad, but it's... inconvenient. Yeah, I'll say it's an inconvenient mechanic. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the game though.

Tizoc

So I just finished the
prison stage. How come that old hag survived but the other soldiers died? Really hope the prisoners I rescued don't die in later stages =/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just finished it. Fantastic, fantastic game.

For those who beat it:
at one point I went to sleep in my bed, and had an extended conversation with that lady with the shut eye who's the archive person. I taught her how to shoot a gun, and then in the main story that paid off nicely. What was the cutscene if you didn't train her?

Only thing I didn't like was the weapon recharge mechanics...it was wayyyyy tooo slow and dragged the action down considerably. Still, what a blast.

EBE

Just finished it. Fantastic, fantastic game.

For those who beat it:
at one point I went to sleep in my bed, and had an extended conversation with that lady with the shut eye who's the archive person. I taught her how to shoot a gun, and then in the main story that paid off nicely. What was the cutscene if you didn't train her?

Only thing I didn't like was the weapon recharge mechanics...it was wayyyyy tooo slow and dragged the action down considerably. Still, what a blast.

i never had the training cutscene (missed it somehow) but it ends up exactly the same.

the laser cutter recharge upgrade was nice but it went too slow for my liking. i didnt use the sniper's alt fire all that much

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh yeah and how the hell
did he control the robot just by holding the battery? I hate fictional science

He had the whole thing on him, it was in his hand when he went to duck down for the battery. Guess the nazi's didn't frisk them since they weren't meant to be able to have anything like that to begin with.

As for why she survived, plot armor is powerful shit.

It isn't bad when you realize that you don't have to hold down shift to run. Tap shift to take off, take finger and tap ctrl and bam, you're slidin' like a fool.

Holy shit not at this quote but at people apparently not even looking through the options, where there's an option that let's you change from Hold-to-run to Tap-to-run.
Same with crouching.

damidu

at chapter5, taking my time with this.
really having great time. cant really pinpoint whats so good about it though.
probably some combination of old-style level design(leaving room for exploration), good lighthearted story, acting etc.

kinda had a feeling of being fed up with fps games.
but now realize that the problem is not the genre, its the mediocre shit we are served last years.

i1FV3eCu9UTT6.gif

"So, what does this game do right that so many games do wrong? Well, in short, EVERYTHING."

"I think this is one of the best of the year. Any year, because it's that damn good."

Yes, basically this.
It even starts with how the trailers presented the game.
Instead of showing everything the game has to offer, they only show two scenes (one per trailer) that drive the point home just how technologically advanced the Nazis are in this timeline and one trailer with "Sneaking vs. More Dakka" gameplay, and all of that happens in the first 3 chapters of the game. As far as I know the trailers never showed anything beyond that and if not for
the thread title (I went on a media blackout after the aforementioned gameplay trailer) I never even knew that Nazis have kind of colonized the Moon and that Blazco gets there, too and fucks shit up and stuff

They really did EVERYTHING right with this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As far as I know the trailers never showed anything beyond that and if not for
the thread title (I went on a media blackout after the aforementioned gameplay trailer) I never even knew that Nazis have kind of colonized the Moon and that Blazco gets there, too and fucks shit up and stuff

In regard to your masked text,
the final scene of the launch trailer features a cutscene from the moon section of the game and the Nazi colonisation of the moon was mentioned in an earlier trailer as "They put Nazi's on the moon? Fuck the moon!" became a common quip in Wolf14-related threads. I do think it's something Bethesda should have kept under wraps, though

Gangxxter

Thanks, I'm going to try it out. id must of worked on this before they gave it to MachineGames? Just kidding

Update: It seems to be working. Some of the textures on the face are blurry, same with some of the objects, but overall it runs really good.
Yeah it's a shame that some textures are really blurry (especially the propaganda posters) even on the highest settings. But the options you've just turned down hardly affect the IQ, only the texture pop-in when you turn around very fast is more now.

Feindflug

http://i.minus.com/i1FV3eCu9UTT6.gif

"I think this is one of the best of the year. Any year, because it's that damn good."[/QUOTE]

Talked yesterday with a friend and asked me how the game was, told him it was an amazing game definitely worth buying at full price and one of the best FPS games I've played in years and was surprised by how excited I was about it...when I asked him why he said that the game got mediocre reviews all over the place and after that I checked metacritic since I only took a glimpse at the review thread here in gaf and I was shocked by how many 6's the game got.

I finished the game two days ago and absolutely loved it, it's really an amazing game and I simply can't understand how this game got so many low scores...it's one of those times where you feel that you played a different game than the one you are reading about in the reviews. I guess New Order will join the camp of underrated gems that reviewers didn't get along with Dragon's Dogma & The Wonderful 101.

Talked yesterday with a friend and asked me how the game was, told him it was an amazing game definitely worth buying at full price and one of the best FPS games I've played in years and was surprised by how excited I was about it...when I asked him why he said that the game got mediocre reviews all over the place and after that I checked metacritic since I only took a glimpse at the review thread here in gaf and I was shocked by how many 6's the game got.

I finished the game two days ago and absolutely loved it, it's really an amazing game and I simply can't understand how this game got so many low scores...it's one of those times where you feel that you played a different game than the one you are reading about in the reviews. I guess New Order will join the camp of underrated gems that reviewers didn't get along with Dragon's Dogma & The Wonderful 101.

I usually look at reviews after I play the game, but I know a friend who checks metacritic quite a bit. I have yet to recommend it to him, though! I don't look at Metacritic compared to critics I trust and they've all given it great reviews.

Tizoc

I usually look at reviews after I play the game, but I know a friend who checks metacritic quite a bit. I have yet to recommend it to him, though! I don't look at Metacritic compared to critics I trust and they've all given it great reviews.

Wolfenstein was still a top seller in Europe though wasn't it?

HiiiLife

Put a few hours in. Overall, I'm enjoying the game. Main complaints? What's up with the lack of auto pickup? And I need vibration feedback when I'm getting shot. And the sound is lol worthy. I have turn the bitch all the way up just to hear it.

But the gameplay and story are ace, so far.

Tizoc

Put a few hours in. Overall, I'm enjoying the game. Main complaints? What's up with the lack of auto pickup? And I need vibration feedback when I'm getting shot. And the sound is lol worthy. I have turn the bitch all the way up just to hear it.

But the gameplay and story are ace, so far.

On the one hand, it's avoid 'Overcharging' that way you can save some health for you to pick up when you need extra health. THough to be fair, auto-pick up can be for weapons only.

olimpia84

Finally beat the wave of enemies at the
train, chapter 10 I think? Had a lot of trouble with the 3 supersoldiers but figured out a strategy that worked

Started the U-Boat mission earlier, such a cool level. Nice to get back to the straightforward violence

I had to beat those 3 supersoldiers with 20 health and no ammo on Uber. Basically I had to use the welding laser weapon that you wait a bit for it to recharge and then take cover/shoot/recharge. Took me forever :p

Main complaints? What's up with the lack of auto pickup?

Yeah, that felt odd to me at first too, but then once you figure out the groove this game is going for, it felt like a fantastic design decision. It slows the game down a bit as well as introduces a bit of tension while you're trying to scrounge for ammo/health mid-fight.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My local Gamestop has a couple used PS4 copies, so I'll be grabbing one when I pick up Mariokart later today. Going to be a killer weekend!

psychotron

My local Gamestop has a couple used PS4 copies, so I'll be grabbing one when I pick up Mariokart later today. Going to be a killer weekend!

I want to say wait for a sale and buy new to support the developers, but I'd be a cruel bastard telling you to wait any longer for this masterpiece.

Azlan

I picked this game up for the Xbox One yesterday largely due to the impressions in this thread. Thanks for making the decision easier! I have only gotten through the first stage, but definitely enjoying it. It has been a while since I played a single player FPS that isn't just tacked on to multiplayer. I am tired of shooters trying to be hyper-realistic (and completely failing). This is a breath of fresh air.

Jinjo

Wow, did not expect the praise this game gets. I'm sick and superbored out of my mind, so I figured I should just get it on ps4 through psn (since I'm in no shape to go to the store). Then I saw the downloadsize... Crap. Please tell me there is like a play while you download option on this for ps4?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Has this been posted in here yet? It's a (completely okay to post because it's from their website) scan from Dengeki Playstation magazine. With the most hilarious, Engrish-y German ever. "Fuck you, Nazi. I'll make you cold." :loooooool

07_o_.jpg

I, too, have been having a lot of fun with this game. I'm running through on Uber. Maybe 3/4 of the way through. My only complaint so far is simply I haven't had a whole lot of time to devoting to the last few Chapters of the game. Curse you, social commitments!

Gangxxter

Has this been posted in here yet? It's a (completely okay to post because it's from their website) scan from Dengeki Playstation magazine. With the most hilarious, Engrish-y German ever. "Fuck you, Nazi. I'll make you cold." :loooooool

07_o_.jpg
Hehe, that's great!
But "Ich mache dich kalt" is an idiom for "I'll kill you"

ViviOggi

07_o_.jpg

That's actually a common German idiom (means "I'll kill you"). Still pretty ballsy to put that on a cover

€: Beaten like Nazi scum

Tizoc

Can someone help me at this area please?
I made to a train station but now there various soldiers, heavy troopers and at least one giant trooper that pops up after I get to the lower level. How should I go about completing this section?

Levyne

Banned
Can someone help me at this area please?
I made to a train station but now there various soldiers, heavy troopers and at least one giant trooper that pops up after I get to the lower level. How should I go about completing this section?
If you've already interacted with the button/whatever in the top area, you don't have to fight the guys after that, you can run to the train car.

Levyne

Banned
So Chase after it by going back to where the tunnel entrance is?

I'm unsure what you mean, there was
one super soldier I remember killing when you raise the metal gate, had to kill him in order to find a way upstairs. After that there were two more and I was dying too much so I ran to the train card, it's kind of on the opposite side of the room than the 2nd floor area is at.

Finally got around to finishing this. It was...ok. I had nice gunplay, music and dialogue. Didn't like the stealth segments at all due to how random their spotting was. There were also weird pacing issues where there would be small sections with little to no action. It was definitely a step in the right direction

Elitist1945

To be honest I was expecting this to be a quick, mediocre game, and well...it exceeded my expectations immensely. Definitely my favorite game so far this year, and one of the best shooters I've played - and I was also thoroughly surprised at how good the characters and story were.

DukeBobby

Finally got around to finishing this. It was...ok. I had nice gunplay, music and dialogue. Didn't like the stealth segments at all due to how random their spotting was. There were also weird pacing issues where there would be small sections with little to no action. It was definitely a step in the right direction

That's not weird pacing, that's good pacing.

gribbles

Banned
Finished it on Uber difficulty and I'd probably give it a 6/10.

Completely agree with the poor pacing issues. It's such an inconsistent experience from start to finish. There are some genuinely cool moments dotted throughout the game, but these moments are drowned out by lots of tedious and grating parts.

I particularly didn't like the way stealth worked. You could successfully stealth your way through most of a level, and then suddenly in the next section wave upon wave of enemies come streaming out who have somehow become aware of your presence. No alarm sounded, nothing to indicate why they all of a sudden know where you are, they just do, for no apparent reason. Really annoying.

That's not weird pacing, that's good pacing.
I wonder if we're at the point now where people think "pacing" means a consistent pace, rather than a varied and interesting mix. It's kind of like how there are no dynamics in pop music, so people get weirded out if a song has both quiet and loud parts.

-MD-

I particularly didn't like the way stealth worked. You could successfully stealth your way through most of a level, and then suddenly in the next section wave upon wave of enemies come streaming out who have somehow become aware of your presence. No alarm sounded, nothing to indicate why they all of a sudden know where you are, they just do, for no apparent reason. Really annoying.

This part of the game did suck but I just started each encounter stealthing my way through killing enemies until I got caught then went guns blazing until everyone was dead.

Overall though the game was pretty damn good, I'd give it an 8.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished it on Uber difficulty and I'd probably give it a 6/10.

Completely agree with the poor pacing issues. It's such an inconsistent experience from start to finish. There are some genuinely cool moments dotted throughout the game, but these moments are drowned out by lots of tedious and grating parts.

Having been playing for 4 hours I have to say that looking into small details like that really won't help you enjoy the game. Me personally, it feels like it should be played at a fast pace. If you want to sit and enjoy how things look, play Fallout or TES. Me personally, since I'm 4 hours in, I feel like it's at least a 7-7.5.
Enemies haven't changed (well sorta) and I just got to Nautica. The combat is fun, but you're limited in what you can do/explore. It is Wolfenstein, so there's no real reason to ask for anything else. FPS that relies on quick corridors, empty rooms, and a handful of cutscenes that aren't that entertaining at times. The good stuff appears in spurts, like once you see it you have have to fly through another area to see what happens next. Which isn't bad, but I think being a 7 shows that they didn't polish the game. Why can't MoH do this narration stuff? It's the right time period to have a romanticized narrator. If the developers ask, tell them I gave it an 8.
Overall it reminds me of Rise of the Triad.

For some reason I get this feeling that the developers played a little HL2/Fear/Portal/TimeShift.
Anyone else?

Top Bottom