• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

kL1x0FR.png

tX62N9Q.png

Bill O'Reilly can't explain that.
Interesting gameplay or great shooting mechanics doesn't mean for much with critics. They will still play FPSs like they're Call of Duty even when you don't have to.

i59lW1ihcjI0O.png

ibbXCFCNZS2Sxo.png

iPKiTwOKUv3P2.png

iiFZ6JOQ3tEjo.png

iCbv02SqabYOX.png

They're still good scores, and I'd rate them all as 9/10 games, so I do my part in sharing my love to others about them.

I redboxed this game thinking it would suck since they gimped the ps4 version for parity imo.

The fabulous gameplay has kept me though. And sound. I gotta post in the audiophile thread soon, I have a killer rig.

Anyway, fantastic game, first redbox I won't be returning.

Woorloog

Banned
How's the game on 360? Framerate, resolution, generally looks and playability?
360 because i doubt my laptop can handle the game, i don't like KB/M for shooters (don't ask), and because i'm not sure if i get a new-gen console.
Seeing people's positive reactions make me interested, though never full price interested (most certainly not for mere 20-30h content, including second playthrough; for a full price a game better provide me some 60h content at very least).

Caayn

I redboxed this game thinking it would suck since they gimped the ps4 version for parity imo.

The fabulous gameplay has kept me though. And sound. I gotta post in the audiophile thread soon, I have a killer rig.

Anyway, fantastic game, first redbox I won't be returning.
Gimped the PS4 version for parity? The engine has to dynamically scale back the resolution at times in order to keep the framerate in line. News flash the PS4 isn't some all powerful device that will chew out every game in 1080p/60fps without compromise.

Gimped the PS4 version for parity? The engine has to dynamically scale back the resolution at times in order to keep the framerate in line. News flash the PS4 isn't some all powerful device that will chew out every game in 1080p/60fps without compromise.

Yeah but there's no reason the ps4 version shouldn't look way way better if they are both 1080P. It looks like crap after just beating Infamous, Tomb Raider, MGS, Killzone, etc, etc.

It's a pretty ugly game.

antitrop

Yeah but there's no reason the ps4 version shouldn't look way way better if they are both 1080P. It looks like crap after just beating Infamous, Tomb Raider, MGS, Killzone, etc, etc.

It's a pretty ugly game.

A lot of it is limitations of the engine, too. You're just never going to get good looking textures with iDTech 5.

I wouldn't expect The Evil Within to be a looker, either.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's a pretty ugly game.

It has it's moments, but yeah, it's pretty ugly.

Just like RAGE, make sure you don't stare at any surface too closely. Ugliest textures ever made upon close inspection.

This game is running horribly for me. I have an AMD 7870 with 14.4 drivers, tried running it on every setting and I get 15-20 FPS. Anyone know how to fix this shit?

DirtyLarry

While not the best looking game on the PS4 released, I would not label it as ugly by any means. And yes FTR I own a perfectly capable gaming PC that it would have looked much better on if I chose to play the game on it. That does not change my opinion about the PS4 version not looking bad at all all things considered.

Besides, I really loved the overall style of the visuals. Thought it had a very consistent art direction throughout.

A 78 average score on metacritic is criminal. While I would hardly call that a bad score, it is not the score it deserves either.

As others have said, and I wholeheartedly agree, it is the best FPS to be released in quite some time. Easily actually. It ranks right up there with HL2, the original Far Cry & the first Bioshock on my personal all time favorites list (from a SP perspective).

Just a great single player game. I will recommend it to anyone that will listen.

Mr. Tibbs

Interesting gameplay or great shooting mechanics doesn't mean for much with critics. They will still play FPSs like they're Call of Duty even when you don't have to.

i59lW1ihcjI0O.png

They're still good scores, and I'd rate them all as 9/10 games, so I do my part in sharing my love to others about them.

All fantastic shooters. Shadow Warrior deserved way better. It absolutely smokes The New Order in every department despite having a budget comparable to top-tier Kickstarter success. Hopefully more folks check it out and appreciate what an excellent job Flying Wild Hog did when it hits the PS4.

Seeing that screenshot makes me think of how different my perceptions of this game may have been if I'd chosen Wyatt first...
Yeah I figured Fergus would be the far more likeable character. Wyatt just seemed like a generic young soldier character (granted I haven't played his storyline yet so maybe he's a real cool guy). I am interested to see
Fergus-bot
though.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I'm thinking of picking this up soon. How interesting & unique is the gameplay and story compared to most shooters? I really want something fresh, hopefully akin to Resistance 3 which was one of my favorite ps3 games.

Kuro

I'm thinking of picking this up soon. How interesting & unique is the gameplay and story compared to most shooters? I really want something fresh, hopefully akin to Resistance 3 which was one of my favorite ps3 games.

The story is definitely... quirky. It doesn't take itself too seriously while at the same time having a serious story. Gameplay is just good ol' shootbang fun. Haven't had that much fun with an FPS in years.

Tizoc

Beat the game yesterday, final boss was lame and annoying but overall it was fun shooting up nazis, although
everything BJ did in this game seemed like build up a huge ass rebellion which was stopped just as it was gonna start, unless there was more resources that the resistance needed.
The ending though left much to be desired...

The narrative is interesting, not really sure how good it is but better than stock FPS narratives. The cutscene direction is above average too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Though the narrative does have some issues, I think they totally nailed the voice acting, hammy/pulpy dialogue included. The entire cast is spot on.

Hammer24

Banned
You can
jump and slide under the flames. That is the key. Also with the LKW, you lock on, shoot at him will will stun him, then run to the back of the room and there is a charging station on both sides. He will come in one of the doors to the back rooms with the charging area, so if you are not fully recharged, run back to the other side of the room, jumping and sliding through the flames of course, let him come back to you, hit him with a few rockets as he is coming back, then run back to the other area to charge again. Rinse and repeat and you will have him beat in no time.

Thanks for the hints, but I'm not getting it done.
- pumped 16 rockets into him with dual wielded assault rifles
- got 5 Tesla ´nades on him
- about four or five fully loaded LKW oneshots
- some dualwielded shotties in between while running around
While he loses armor all over the place that I try to pick up, I´m not getting it done. Frustrating! :(

While he loses armor all over the place that I try to pick up, I´m not getting it done. Frustrating! :(

Dont use ADS with the LKW. I died so many times, until i realized all you need to do is jsut hip fire until it runs dry, then run to the charging station, and repeat. I killed him on my first try once i stopped using the ADS and just hip fired the LKW at him.

Overall it was a great game. Really enjoyed it and probably my GOTY so far. I was expecting the story to be a bit better given how much people praised it, and it was good, and enjoyable, but i guess i expected something like The Darkness levels of story involvement. I would also be ina greement that overall i found it far more enjoyable than Bioshock Infinite too. TNO knows how to be a great shooter, with a good story, whereas infinite cant do either of those things well.

Mik3F

Are you aiming for his head?

I did it on my second try with just rockets on Uber. Took all of a minute at most

Hammer24

Banned
Dont use ADS with the LKW. I died so many times, until i realized all you need to do is jsut hip fire until it runs dry, then run to the charging station, and repeat. I killed him on my first try once i stopped using the ADS and just hip fired the LKW at him.

Thanks, will try.

Are you aiming for his head?

Hmm, I don´t think I specifically aimed there. You mean the glass cage he´s sitting in, right?

You don’t have to aim down sights since hipfire is perfectly accurate.
ijpNBzOQ1Lqg2.gif

ibzZuUsBI8BQmA.gif

The enemies aren't bullet sponges until the heavy enemies like the ones that use shotgun shrapnel or Supersoldaten that wield turrets, which can be taken down in one or two shots with the later weapons (fully charged LKW, rockets, dual shotguns). You can dual wield nearly every single weapon. There are alternate fire modes. There are more complex maps to the levels, so it’s not usually a corridor linear affair. Stealth via silencer pistol and knives (can throw them too) is a viable option if you don’t want enemy reinforcements but what I would do is, silently take down the commanders who would turn on the alarm, then go running and gunning with the rest. If you camp in one spot behind cover, you will be flanked so it’s best to be more mobile. You can slide and shoot, which not many games allow. You pick up health and armour, and health can go overboard into the 300s especially in the last boss fight if you’re scurrying around and picking up everything. Health regenerates to the last 20 HP chunk, so if you’re down to 46, it will regenerate up to 60 HP.

There are two timeline campaigns based on a choice you make at the end of Chapter 1. This nets you different characters, cutscenes, interactions, and collectibles like health and armour upgrades that are permanent and carry over if you’re switching campaigns at any time. The characters are great and fleshed out with a lot of incidental dialogue between them in the Hideout Base or other levels that you can miss out on if you’re rushing, which reminded me a lot of Remedy (Max Payne, Alan Wake) and Starbreeze (Riddick, The Darkness) games. There is also some interesting ambient enemy conversations such as a commander who talks on the phone about his wife having a baby on the way (just before you’re about to gut him) or how to fight the concrete-induced cough with lemon coffee. Blazko has a very pulpy noir inner monologue much like Max Payne with many memorable lines that I loved. The game has a very blackly comic tone that can be very funny or horrifying (even more than Inglorious Basterds), which some people find to be “tonally inconsistent” but as a lover of dark comedy, I appreciated it because it’s cathartic shootin’/stranglin’/stabbin’ Nazi scum after such encounters. There are newspaper clippings that report of your previous mission exploits or what’s happening around the world under Nazi rule with some hilarious stories like the crocoduck or the death of Fish and Chips in the UK.

iccFKLDl0qShl.jpg

iREb0kCSldmzF.jpg

There are two timeline campaigns based on a choice you make at the end of Chapter 1. This nets you different characters, cutscenes, interactions, and collectibles like health and armour upgrades that are permanent and carry over if you’re switching campaigns at any time. The characters are great and fleshed out with a lot of incidental dialogue between them in the Hideout Base or other levels that you can miss out on if you’re rushing, which reminded me a lot of Remedy (Max Payne, Alan Wake) and Starbreeze (Riddick, The Darkness) games. There is also some interesting ambient enemy conversations such as a commander who talks on the phone about his wife having a baby on the way (just before you’re about to gut him) or how to fight the concrete-induced cough with lemon coffee. Blazko has a very pulpy noir inner monologue much like Max Payne with many memorable lines that I loved. The game has a very blackly comic tone that can be very funny or horrifying (even more than Inglorious Basterds), which some people find to be “tonally inconsistent” but as a lover of dark comedy, I appreciated it because it’s cathartic shootin’/stranglin’/stabbin’ Nazi scum after such encounters. There are newspaper clippings that report of your previous mission exploits or what’s happening around the world under Nazi rule with some hilarious stories like the crocoduck or the death of Fish and Chips in the UK.

Some of the letters you can find are actually really touching too. Theres some really, really well written letters hidden in the game. And the audio diaries that anya reads to you later on in the game are excellent too.

And also it has auto shotguns that make bad mens go explodey time

Some of the letters you can find are actually really touching too. Theres some really, really well written letters hidden in the game. And the audio diaries that anya reads to you later on in the game are excellent too.

And also it has auto shotguns that make bad mens go explodey time

In regards to the diatries am I the only one that thinks that the diaries are
actually Anya telling Blaskowitz about her past?

ViviOggi

In regards to the diatries am I the only one that thinks that the diaries are
actually Anya telling Blaskowitz about her past?

I'd hope not as the final entry ends with something along the lines of "... and some of these events may have happened to me"

Top Bottom