• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Watched a few streams on PS4 Live, and it looked pretty good! This wasn't even on my radar, but I'm itching for something new on PS4. I might bite.

This is out, right? I just went to see Godzilla, and the pre-trailer footage of the game said that it's available now. I came to GAF for impressions...

Webbie

Banned
Damnnn, i just spoiled myself a bit on some random twitch stream and it was fucking hilarious and was not expecting that at all.

Levyne

Banned
This is out, right? I just went to see Godzilla, and the pre-trailer footage of the game said that it's available now. I came to GAF for impressions...

Not until the 20th, but a lot of people seem to be able to get it early (or at least shipped) from mom and pop stores, and Best Buy and Amazon. I haven't followed that much since I'm just waiting on a key from GMG

MattyG

Banned
Bullmoose, a local store, says that they have copies at every one of their locations on their website. I'm going to go in tomorrow and see if they'll sell one to me. Any bigger stores that are breaking the street date?

Really bad textures.

I'm simply pointing out that if it can look acceptable by "default" on current-gen systems, then it only serves to point that all the extra horsepower can be used to polish up the visuals. If anything, it all points to a cross-gen issue where the potential of current-gen is truly held back, because I seriously doubt a game natively designed for the PS4/X1 is going to suffer from the same issues we're seeing right now.

M.W.

For those who have played it, is the aiming more in lines with COD or does it have some weight to it a la Killzone?

Raptomex

I really hope they add more modes or something via DLC. I'm very excited that this is single-player only. But I get the feeling even after 100% this I'll want more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where's mah preload?

Raptomex

I am not worried as I have never been a multiplayer player
Same. But I meant more single-player modes. I love replayability in single-player games whether it be something randomized or other modes of play. Kind of like the Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. The MI6 missions idea was great. I loved it. Too bad that game never took enough.

Regardless, as a long-time Wolfenstein fan I can not be more excited for this.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm simply pointing out that if it can look acceptable by "default" on current-gen systems, then it only serves to point that all the extra horsepower can be used to polish up the visuals. If anything, it all points to a cross-gen issue where the potential of current-gen is truly held back, because I seriously doubt a game natively designed for the PS4/X1 is going to suffer from the same issues we're seeing right now.

With id tech 5 it's not a matter of 'extra polish' or building the game exclusively for new systems. You won't be able to get higher quality virtual textures on current-gen consoles because they're still limited by the size of a blu-ray disc or even what people would be willing to download (try to convince anyone a 100GB+ game is worth it...). They can stream more high-LOD textures into memory faster so they wouldn't be affected by pop-in, but as far as the entire virtual texture itself you can only make it so big and so detailed before hitting the storage limit. It's just the nature of the beast.

There's still a general misunderstanding of what virtual textures actually do and that leads to a lot of confusion and incorrect conclusions about the tech. Instead of having a number of small, detailed textures loaded into memory and tiling them across the map, megatextured maps use one single, enormous image that it loads in pieces, basically letting them paint any scene with a nearly unlimited number of unique textures and brushes. Of course this means the data is absolutely massive and needs huge amounts of compression on current storage media so you can't go around shoving your face into every wall to count the hairline cracks and grime, but I think the trade off is worth it because when you step back and look at the scene as a whole it's breathtaking.

I'm fine with the low detail textures, but I do hope that the actual compression they used this time isn't as severe as in Rage. That game was gorgeous but more than once I literally recoiled when I walked up to a wall and got a face full of enough macroblocking to make an 8-bit jpeg blush. :p

CozMick

Banned
Finally cracked and pre ordered on ps4.

I watched a stream on twitch and was totally put off by the visuals, then I saw it for £39 on Amazon......bargain!

Can't wait.

jaosobno

Goddamn it Microsoft - street dates are broken left and right, just hit the switch and put it on the marketplace! :mad:

This. As it turns out, people with digital preorders are getting screwed, and I've been told by Sony and Microsoft that digital games cost the same as retail games because of added convenience.

How is this convenient, that I have to wait 3 more days and retail buyers are already playing it?

Fuck!

som

This. As it turns out, people with digital preorders are getting screwed, and I've been told by Sony and Microsoft that digital games cost the same as retail games because of added convenience.

How is this convenient, that I have to wait 3 more days and retail buyers are already playing it?

Fuck!
So true

MANGOD

Banned
Just got my copy and starting the campaign. Glad I dont have to wait for the patch to be downloaded before I can play it. PS4 copy

DieH@rd

Banned
Just got my copy and starting the campaign. Glad I dont have to wait for the patch to be downloaded before I can play it. PS4 copy

Any report how long was initial install [PlayGo section]? Half a minute, minute? If its longer than that, then that will play a big role to those who are downloading game via PSN.

Top Bottom