• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

squadr0n

Are you planning just to shoot your gun and stare at the casings on the ground all day?

YES. Pre order cancelled if the bullet casings don't make noise when they hit the floor or if they disappear! I mean come on it's 2014 for crying out loud lol.

Whoever thought that this was an actual concern needs to just take a seat and think about how rediculous they sound. I mean does this game get a lesser score because I can't see my feet when I look down?

antitrop

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the importance of something as simple as shell casings ejecting to the ground and making a satisfying "clink". There are a lot of things that Criterion's Black did a lot better than most modern FPS and that is one of them.

Anything you can do to make your game's weapons not feel like Nerf guns is important.

goldenpp72

So I don't own a PS4 yet and was curious to buy this on Xbox One but don't want to buy an inferior console version, is there any comparisons to quell that concern? Otherwise i'd wait until I have a PS4.

eshwaaz

YES. Pre order cancelled if the bullet casings don't make noise when they hit the floor or if they disappear! I mean come on it's 2014 for crying out loud lol.

Whoever thought that this was an actual concern needs to just take a seat and think about how rediculous they sound. I mean does this game get a lesser score because I can't see my feet when I look down?
I'm pretty sure he said nothing about canceling his preorder or scoring it lower. You're overreacting.

Small details matter. They don't make or break a game, but they certainly add to the overall experience. Different things matter to different people. Does his question really offend you that much? If so, you're the one who sounds "rediculous."

So I don't own a PS4 yet and was curious to buy this on Xbox One but don't want to buy an inferior console version, is there any comparisons to quell that concern? Otherwise i'd wait until I have a PS4.

You would probably have to wait until the inevitable digital foundry comparison.

But there shouldn't be a huge difference between the two.

Xbox One version will always be inferior, but I guess your question is if there's a stark difference that would turn you off and I don't think there would be.

GavinUK86

You would probably have to wait until the inevitable digital foundry comparison.

But there shouldn't be a huge difference between the two.

according to machine games (the developer) the game on both nextgen (currentgen?) platforms are identical. 1080/60. for frame by frame analysis though, yeah, you'll have to wait for the digital foundry verdict.

Xbox One version will always be inferior, but I guess your question is if there's a stark difference that would turn you off and I don't think there would be.

incorrect, as far as we know. in this case anyway.

Drewfonse

Doesn't look bad, its a game, how would people like this security guard to react here, serious question, if he had a gun he would probably shoot correct, looks like he doesnt so he trys to beat with baton, he tried blocking what looks like to be some kind of welding gun, I dont know, lol.

At the very least I would grab my face because it hurt like fuck. But that's just me.

antitrop

PS4, XBone, and PC will all be the same: 1080p/60fps with bad graphics. Plus whatever supersampling you can squeeze out of your PC.

360/PS3 will probably be scaling resolution/60fps, with REAAAAALLLLYYY bad graphics.

SkylineRKR

AI seems to be par for the course. They do take cover and I was also flanked once. Its just that they are sort of shitty when you rush towards one for a melee hit. But you will take damage and I die rather quickly on the 4th difficulty.

I like the gameplay, its a bit like Rage without the bullshit. Lean also works well.

zorbsie

I just hope the next eight chapters contain more shooting and less stealth.

I like the stealth, but the guns feel so good. Had no idea there was limb dismemberment until yesterday when it happened for me. I hate it when simply standing up will alert the guards. That can be a little frustrating.

Scrabble

With id tech 5 it's not a matter of 'extra polish' or building the game exclusively for new systems. You won't be able to get higher quality virtual textures on current-gen consoles because they're still limited by the size of a blu-ray disc or even what people would be willing to download (try to convince anyone a 100GB+ game is worth it...). They can stream more high-LOD textures into memory faster so they wouldn't be affected by pop-in, but as far as the entire virtual texture itself you can only make it so big and so detailed before hitting the storage limit. It's just the nature of the beast.

There's still a general misunderstanding of what virtual textures actually do and that leads to a lot of confusion and incorrect conclusions about the tech. Instead of having a number of small, detailed textures loaded into memory and tiling them across the map, megatextured maps use one single, enormous image that it loads in pieces, basically letting them paint any scene with a nearly unlimited number of unique textures and brushes. Of course this means the data is absolutely massive and needs huge amounts of compression on current storage media so you can't go around shoving your face into every wall to count the hairline cracks and grime, but I think the trade off is worth it because when you step back and look at the scene as a whole it's breathtaking.

I'm fine with the low detail textures, but I do hope that the actual compression they used this time isn't as severe as in Rage. That game was gorgeous but more than once I literally recoiled when I walked up to a wall and got a face full of enough macroblocking to make an 8-bit jpeg blush. :p

Someone who gets it, it's why I feel Rage is so stunning to look at.The concept may be too ahead of it's time, but I hope when storage space becomes a nonfactor it becomes the standard. Just look at a game like Crysis, you can tell it was built with a level editor where a designer or artist did nothing but tile the same textures, trees, shrubbery, etc over a level. Rage looks like a painting or concept art at times.

Is there some mechanic forcing you to play it stealth? Just blow them to hell with your dual-wield assault rifles, alarms and reinforcements be damned.

zorbsie

Is there some mechanic forcing you to play it stealth? Just blow them to hell with your dual-wield assault rifles, alarms and reinforcements be damned.

I'm not as far as perfect dark, but there is one level where you need to infiltrate a compound where you start only with a knife. Some of the perks for being steathly are nice too.

v0mitg0d

Credits on Wolfenstein rolling. Lots of notes to sort through. Thoughts coming...

Question for you fine folks: When the embargo lifts, what are you most interested in?

- A Let's Play video?
- I live stream on PS4 with (video/audio) so you can me ask questions?
- A written review?
- A podcast?

Your input matters. Thanks in advanced!

ekim

Credits on Wolfenstein rolling. Lots of notes to sort through. Thoughts coming...

Question for you fine folks: When the embargo lifts, what are you most interested in?

- A Let's Play video?
- A written review?
- A podcast?

Can you just tell me if I should buy the game when I liked the shooting in Rage and the Story and linearity of Bioshock Infinite?

- A Let's Play video?
- A written review?
- A podcast?

How long did it take you to beat?

MattyG

Banned
So are a lot of places breaking the street date? I'm up in Maine, so if any of you are around here and know of specific places selling it, let me know.

DieH@rd

Banned

- A Let's Play video?
- A written review?
- A podcast?

How long are the credits? Are they skippable? Is John Carmack listed?

lol

Unit24

I just want to know if the game's climax/ending is satisfying. One thing I am tired of seeing is shooters with weak endings that leave you wanting more.

Raptor

I like the stealth, but the guns feel so good. Had no idea there was limb dismemberment until yesterday when it happened for me. I hate it when simply standing up will alert the guards. That can be a little frustrating.

v05ALWE.jpg

DELICIOUS!1

wrog

- A Let's Play video?
- A written review?
- A podcast?

Do you keep unlocked perks for second and next playthroughs?

What is happening? Just let me shoot things...why, machine games...why???
the first chapters were awesome. Now I'm running through lifeless levels while I'm doing fetch quests (repair things, steal something). Give me weapons, I want to kill Nazis in my Wolfenstein game.

SparkTR

the first chapters were awesome. Now I'm running through lifeless levels while I'm doing fetch quests (repair things, steal something). Give me weapons, I want to kill Nazis in my Wolfenstein game.

How many hours in are you?

Raptor

That's why a Horde mode is a must, a MUST!

If is not in the game I will pay for a Horde Mode DLC, just to kill nazis with that delicious gore.

MattyG

Banned
It's all just meta commentary on the state of modern game design, right guys? Right? GUYS?!

mangel_js

Neo Member

- A Let's Play video?
- A written review?
- A podcast?

Is it good?

Top Bottom