• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Dawg

Edit: I kinda wish the review embargo didn't lift on release day, that's a bit frustrating.

As someone who is bound to the embargo atm, I kinda wish the same. There's some stuff I'd like to share but now I have to wait till release day. I'm actually surprised at the release day embargo, usually means said game isn't that good...

Also, just something I should be able to share...

The AI in that one video is not a good representation of the game. Sure, I'm playing on über but if a game really had bad AI, I'd notice it on that difficulty as well. But no problems there...

iMax

As someone who is bound to the embargo atm, I kinda wish the same. There's some stuff I'd like to share but now I have to wait till release day. I'm actually surprised at the release day embargo, usually means said game isn't that good...

iyNoAi1XmvHD0.gif

Forsete

Forced stealth? Alright. Purchase on hold. I hate that kind of stuff. I don't have the nerves for stealth. It is what killed black flag for me.

sflufan

Banned
wat

so just knifing for 2 hours ?

I love how everyone is interpreting that original statement in the narrowest way possible.

He said that he hadn't killed a "Nazi" with a "normal gun" for 2.5 hours. Now, let's expand our thinking a bit further here. Do you think perhaps that he could be killing something OTHER than Nazis with NON-normal guns?

I mean, for those of you who are interpreting the statement so narrowly, have you ever played a Wolfenstein game before?

If people are talking about 8-10 hours = halfway, stealth sections shouldn't be an issue. Even the best of shooters need palate cleansers and slower paced levels if they go longer than 8-10 hours. As long as they aren't broken or boring, it sounds fine to me. Then again, once we found out the team behind this and words like "action-adventure" were being thrown around, I wasn't thinking the entire playthrough would be pure shooting. Expectations n stuff.

Theecliff

Banned
Yeah, I'd imagine it must be pretty frustrating for someone in your position reading some of the stuff in this thread!

I've always had one eye on this game and yesterday I kind of preordered on an impulse after watching the launch trailer and reading some of this thread.
If there were already plenty of impressions and reviews I would feel more confident in the money I've now put down but with a few mixed impressions surfacing worries are starting to creep in.

I'm really hoping the embargo lifting on release day has nothing to do with the game's quality.

Forsete

God damn stealth in ma assassins creed game.... Wait what?

Metal gear solid is a stealth game. But you can pay it guns blazing if you wish. No game over like in Assassin's. Which sucks ass. Let me pay the way I want to. It's a open world game right?

I love how everyone is interpreting that original statement in the narrowest way possible.

He said that he hadn't killed a "Nazi" with a "normal gun" for 2.5 hours. Now, let's expand our thinking a bit further here. Do you think perhaps that he could be killing something OTHER than Nazis with NON-normal guns?

I mean, for those of you who are interpreting the statement so narrowly, have you ever played a Wolfenstein game before?

Yeah, the fact to me he explicitly said "normal gun" implies that he has been killing something with abnormal guns...but still guns. I don't get how people are extrapolating a 2 hour forced stealth section from that statement.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

The AI in that one video is not a good representation of the game. Sure, I'm playing on über but if a game really had bad AI, I'd notice it on that difficulty as well. But no problems there...

These days that's not really true though since so many publishers only want release day reviews.

Chris87

Neo Member

That's reassuring. As you say a release date embargo for a videogame (much like a film that isn't press screened prior to release) generally makes me think the worst.

Fingers crossed that my copy will arrive from shopto on Monday. I'm looking forward to playing a proper shooter again. I think I will do my first play through on the difficulty one setting beneath the hardest one ( can't remember what it's called).

Metal-Geo

So close to release and no sign of preloading? This is killing me. I don't know how long it'll take me to download 50GB. Let alone when thousands of people around the world are hogging the Steam servers simultaneously.

Forsete

You don't like stealth in your stealth games?

Guns Blazing Creed.
I like my options. Why force players in an open world game? And a game over sign just for being spotted is just shitty.

Kojima understands better than Ubisoft.

DieH@rd

Banned
I like my options. Why force players in an open world game? And a game over sign just for being spotted is just shitty.

Kojima understands better than Ubisoft.

And what I like in Ground Zeroes is that enemy soldiers during daylight have incredibly good eyesight, much closer to the real life. Playing through much larger world in TPP will be really different than anything Ubi has produced in last generation.

Duxxy3

I meant use the triggers. You're the first person I've heard who doesn't like those amazing triggers. No game is probably ever going to give you that option.

They are an improvement, but still don't hold a candle to xbox triggers, or even just using the shoulder buttons.

For me It's a big enough deal that I may not keep my PS4. I understand why developers want to push the triggers, but I don't like them. It looks like every game in the future will force the triggers, and that's enough to get me to move.

They are an improvement, but still don't hold a candle to xbox triggers, or even just using the shoulder buttons.

For me It's a big enough deal that I may not keep my PS4. I understand why developers want to push the triggers, but I don't like them. It looks like every game in the future will force the triggers, and that's enough to get me to move.
Man, I was an Xbox user from 2004-2013 and I think those DS4 triggers are amazing, even better than Xbox controllers.

Back to topic: Got an e-Mail that the game will be delivered Monday. I've never gotten a game early before. Super pumped.

Mask

Man, I was an Xbox user from 2004-2013 and I think those DS4 triggers are amazing, even better than Xbox controllers.

Back to topic: Got an e-Mail that the game will be delivered Monday. I've never gotten a game early before. Super pumped.

Have to agree with you. Xbox triggers never felt right to me, IMO, too easy to press and not enough resistance. PS4 triggers are more like the Gamecube triggers, which were perfect to me. I would kill for a custom PS4 pad with Gamecube style triggers and shoulder buttons like the Z button.

Well, didn't get my PS4 copy today, but mine was sent by Game.co.uk, so probably Monday.

MattyG

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuu... can't find any stores near me selling it early, even the one's who say it's available in store on their website. Let the long wait for Tuesday begin, I guess.

eXistor

I've just played it for about 3-4 hours. I wasn't expecting much, yet I got a game roughly as good as Metro Last Light with which it shares many similarities (that's a good thing). It's a pleasant surprise for me, but not a game that'll stay in my memory too long. It's all pretty basic shooter fare, but I have to say I'm surprised at how much I like the characters and I'm actually interested in where the story goes. PS4 version has a solid framerate (seems 60-ish or at least close to it), but the textures are pretty rough, it's not gonna win any graphical awards that's for sure. The stealth is broken, plain and simple, but it doesn't matter, it's broken in a fun way. You can walk up to enemies and they will not see you, thus derpiness ensues. I've killed many a Nazi in front of his Nazi buddy and he just doesn't notice (or care?).

All in all I'm having fun with it, but again: don't go into this expecting more than a solid shooter, it's not. Solid 7-8 game I'd say. Also I'm now in chapter 6 out of 16 (if I recall correctly) so it seems to be a decent length.

Also some possible spoilers about game progression (I haven't followed this game at all so this might very well be common knowledge)
early on you can choose to save either one or the other main character and you actually play the respective timeline of the person you saved, which could be cool. I doubt there are many differences though, but it could add some serious replay value of they gave you different levels to play. I very much doubt they would have gone through the trouble though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If people are talking about 8-10 hours = halfway, stealth sections shouldn't be an issue. Even the best of shooters need palate cleansers and slower paced levels if they go longer than 8-10 hours. As long as they aren't broken or boring, it sounds fine to me. Then again, once we found out the team behind this and words like "action-adventure" were being thrown around, I wasn't thinking the entire playthrough would be pure shooting. Expectations n stuff.

Yup, this is how I'm looking at it. A lengthy campaign like this which does seem to be legitimately ~16 hours, nothing but balls out action the entire time is going to get old unless there's some consistently incredible combat encounters.

bidguy

Banned

i see

yeah its my first wolfenstein game

Jito

Banned
its not really usual for the steam preload to not be available that short before release, right?

I'm pretty worried, I don't see it coming out tomorrow, do preloads ever come out on the weekend? I hope the download size is something I can get done in a day.

bidguy

Banned
I'm pretty worried, I don't see it coming out tomorrow, do preloads ever come out on the weekend? I hope the download size is something I can get done in a day.

the release date of this game is so messy. was supposed to come out on may 22 in eu. they changed it to may 20. the xbox marketplace says may 19 for the digital version as well as some websites.

id be surprised if the launch goes smoothly (digital)

Jito

Banned
I know it's meant to be 50 gig installed but hopefully it's something like 20 gig at most to download, right? :/

jaosobno

I know it's meant to be 50 gig installed but hopefully it's something like 20 gig at most to download, right? :/

Nope.

We are all fucked. My 12 Mbps connection is gonna take approximately 11 hours to download. Since I get up at 6 AM, I'll let it download then and hopefully, it will be done when I get home from work.

Harlock

The game is 60fps in the PS4? The pre order disccount for plus users still valid after the release? I love sinlge player shooter, but without reviews is hard to pull the trigger.

Levyne

Banned
I haven't seen any impressions with the PC version.

As for best deal, I suppose GMG with the 20% coupon or simplycdkeys if you want to do that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I haven't seen any impressions with the PC version.

As for best deal, I suppose GMG with the 20% coupon or simplycdkeys if you want to do that.

Im just gonna wait till after release and get GAF impressions on PC. Not gonna preorder and get screwed.

Top Bottom