• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Fucking hell, why the hell do so many developers continually fail at sound mixing. Game impressions are good otherwise :(

It took two inFamous games to get it right and even then, it's still empty at times in Second Son.

It's funny because current Starbreeze put out a FUCKING AMAZING sound mix in Syndicate.

leng jai

It took two inFamous games to get it right and even then, it's still empty at times in Second Son.

It's funny because current Starbreeze put out a FUCKING AMAZING sound mix in Syndicate.

Second Son was far from being right. It's even worse than Infamous 1 from memory.

zorbsie

Anyone else noticed at the very start of chapter six.
When you are being driven to the London Nautica. The driver's key chain is a quake 3 rocket launcher?
Maybe I'm crazy but pretty sure I'm not.

DoomGyver

Only played for 2 seconds before needing to do homework, but I did notice right away you have to turn them volume WAAAAAAY the hell up :(
You got farther than me, I ripped off the shrink wrap and basked in the aroma of new game smell, then set it aside. Work sucks :| not enough time to game.

Second Son was far from being right. It's even worse than Infamous 1 from memory.

Second Son has some awesome SFX design. Definitely the best in the series. They do some really creative stuff that you'll especially notice with headphones

...the problem is that it's still mixed too low and there isn't enough ambience to fill The rest of the sound space.

Horrible audio. 7.1 surround and have to crank the volume to 90% to even hear the weapons and voices. At this volume the house would normally be shaking.

leng jai

Second Son has some awesome SFX design. Definitely the best in the series. They do some really creative stuff that you'll especially notice with headphones

...the problem is that it's still mixed too low and there isn't enough ambience to fill The rest of the sound space.

It doesn't matter what they did with the actual effects if they're mixed so poorly that you can't even hear half of them unless you turn the volume up to absurd levels. Ambience should be the number one priority when it comes open world games. For all the awesome powers in the game they really could have done some more aggressive and interesting sounds for them.

Nemesis_

I unlocked two stealth perks at the same time and now the achievement for one of them has glitched and won't unlock. Welp.

Yeah this game is definitely not going to be for everybody, but I am enjoying the hell out of it. Lots of little things that really make me happy, with one or two things that are annoying. I wish you'd pick up ammo automatically and I desperately wish the sound mixing was better.

Playing on PS4, just reached chapter 4... and I'm really enjoying it. Nice open levels with good incentive to explore the nooks and crannies. Hopefully they can fix the sound mix, but other than that it's pretty great. Performance is stable as hell on PS4 and the game looks nice to me, even if texture density isn't great up close...

It's a lot better than Rage was texture wise. I guess that explains why it's even bigger than Rage though.

Realyn

Alright finished downloading.

Slightly related - did anyone here attend the 2002 and 2003 Quakecons? I really miss those days of RTCW. The community was so great compared to the Quake Live or TF2 one(Speaking for the EU here.). Not only those tournaments, but also stuff like the NationCups. People just had fun spectating and casting that stuff without going batshit crazy(hi twitch chat).

eshwaaz

Horrible audio. 7.1 surround and have to crank the volume to 90% to even hear the weapons and voices. At this volume the house would normally be shaking.
The audio options are really embarrassing; less than bare bones. Master volume and music off, and that's it? Who thought that was adequate?

Very early on and really enjoying the game, but holy hell did they the drop the ball when it comes to sound.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I installed 4.5GB off the 4 discs, now it says it's only 72% done and it's downloading the rest. Is this the talked about 'day one patch' or did the retail version not even contain the full game? This is pretty ridiculous.

AJ_Wings

The AI can act dumb occasionally especially in the stealth sections, which in this case I don't mind btw, but this is the probably one of the better implementations of enemy AI in a multiplatform big budget shooter in a long time. The fuckers are constantly flanking and chucking grenades to flush you out (and not the bullshit COD:WAW, you do have a bit of a breathing room). The London Nautica level were this game's shooting really fucking shines. Just a superb level.

Can't wait to get back to it today.

Also, I finally get what people were saying about the sound mixing when I stopped using my headset. The game's sound in general is way too low.

Deadbeat

Banned

Syndicate did everything right except the single player campaign. Guess we know which personnel left to make this game.

Ragnarok

The AI can act dumb occasionally especially in the stealth sections, which in this case I don't mind btw, but this is the probably one of the better implementations of enemy AI in a multiplatform big budget shooter in a long time. The fuckers are constantly flanking and chucking grenades to flush you out (and not the bullshit COD:WAW, you do have a bit of a breathing room). The London Nautica level were this game's shooting really fucking shines. Just a superb level.

Can't wait to get back to it today.

Also, I finally get what people were saying about the sound mixing when I stopped using my headset. The game's sound in general is way too low.

I agree about the AI but it is awesome when they clump up and you can mow them down like the filthy Nazis they are.

I just got to Chapter 4 and have collected all the level collectables up to that point except for a Health Upgrade in Chapter 3.

If I go back to replay it and get it will I have it when I go back to Chapter 4? Will all my perks be intact?

We'll that happened.
I'm at the part where you're capturing the train and the Big Nazis with the turrets come out. I was underneath the landing area and the Big Nazi grabbed me through the concert and killed me. Too OP for me.

olimpia84

Finished the first two levels and so far I'm having a lot of fun. I'm playing on Uber and so far is not really that bad. I've died a bunch of times but checkpoints are very frequent. Gunplay is very good and fun, can't wait to try more weapons.

Andrew.

Banned
I agree about the AI but it is awesome when they clump up and you can mow them down like the filthy Nazis they are.

I'm starting to think that's the whole point.; those weird more than occasional bunches of bastards. It happens too frequently. And what a catharsis. The fact that they fall apart like a burnt leaf so easily is just so beautiful

Finished the intro part up to
after you save the nurse and regroup with her family. headed out with them in the car.

But my god is this game fun. Graphics are alright, runs and plays like a dream, and it just straight up knows how to make you feel like a badass. Scratchin dat old school shooter itch I didn't even know I had. DAMN!

xBladeM6x

Just thought about it, what are the pre-order items on Steam that were TF2 related? Are they in game or what, because I don't even. Lol

Jirotrom

This game is so much fun so far. I really miss having fun in FPS, and this game bring back some of that retro FPS fun with running and gun blazing every where. the retro style pick up with the new health system is great and it can change the way you play when you low on health, It encourage you to do crazy things to unlock upgrades and to search the levels for stuff. also holy shit the weapons, thoese crazy big weapons.

MachineGames for the next Doom or Quake please.

Mixing and positional audio is clearly broken.
You need to play Shadow Warrior too

so is this game worth $60? i can only get the PS4 version, anyone know what its framerate and resolution run at? if it's 60fps, i may have to buy it right now.

I unlocked two stealth perks at the same time and now the achievement for one of them has glitched and won't unlock. Welp.
oh no, the trophy won't unlock! D:

Unity2012

But my god is this game fun. Graphics are alright, runs and plays like a dream, and it just straight up knows how to make you feel like a badass. Scratchin dat old school shooter itch I didn't even know I had. DAMN!

Agreed. It has that old feel, just a little shinier and smoother. Fun times ahead.

MattyG

Banned
I just got to (Chapter 6 or 7 spoilers)
the part where Frau Engle gets killed. That was equal parts horrifying and awesome. I just wish I could have heard what the hell she was saying.
Any chance Machine Games will fix the audio in a patch? I miss probably over half the lines that are spoken during gameplay.

Edit: just lost all progress in thst chapter due to the game freezing up at the very end. Good thing it was a shorter one.

Andrew.

Banned
Jesus fucking christ. Just now I'm watching the intro credits. I'm old and fucking stupid and really take my time with games nowadays.

No shame motherfuckers

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Check gamersyde
I was hoping someone would have WebM's ready.

Uhm, if you want some from a little easter egg, then sure. :p

It's the one you can get in the hideout.
http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_wolfenstein_easter_egg-pixCkpqgBsr3Lct6_en.html
Disappointing lack of auchtungs and mein leibens in that.

And watching that footage in full screen on Gamersyde is a godsend compared to what YouTube offers. Much less macroblocking.

ElRenoRaven

Well that sucked. Got to the end of Chapter 4 on Xbone and game crashed on cutscene at the end. Needless to say I missed out on the cutscene due to it having checkpointed. grrr.

Top Bottom