• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Grisby

I think the impressions in here have swayed my hand into buying the title. Will probably pick it up after work.

Some dudes in here who like Bulletstorm and Singularity, and yeah, I feel that should be playing since I am a FPS whore.

Andrew.

Banned
It was more of a statement, like to play the game at your own pace. I paid $48 from GMG, but I think I'll get my money's worth out of this one.

Definitely got my moneys worth so far. It more than satisfies my hunger for a great FPS (last one for me was Gunslinger) that combines the exploratory aspects of Rage and some 'Shock which is just my bag. I always play these kind of FPS's like a slug.

legbone

This is how you make a first person shooter. Having an absolute blast, can't wait to get back to it tomorrow.

i agree completely. i am loving this game. so far this is my game of the year. perfect blend of shooting and exploration. love the way it rewards you for stealth in spots and then rewards you for going balls out in others. this game is an amazing accomplishment. glad they didn't waste any time making some tacked on multiplayer. the story and soundtrack are really something else for a fps. this may be the best first person shooter i have played since goldeneye for the n64 when i was in college. bravo machine games. the rest of the developers are going to be hard pressed to match this fps. i hope someone does it just so i can have another game of this caliber.

IJoel

This has likely been asked before, so excuse my laziness since it's a pretty big thread. Does buying the digital edition on XO get you the Doom 4 beta?

soultron

Banned
Man... those little environmental bonus puzzles. I love them. I want more.

I've been playing all stealth so far and love it. It's pretty simple in terms of stealth gameplay, but I love using the lean mechanic to check my corners, listen for footsteps moving away, and then coming up behind nazis and just giving them a clean shave. The silenced pistols are fun too, but the range on them is hilariously large; if you can get the breathing sway to line up on target, it seems you'll hit them no matter how far they are. I still love it.

ElRenoRaven

This has likely been asked before, so excuse my laziness since it's a pretty big thread. Does buying the digital edition on XO get you the Doom 4 beta?

There have been rumors that they are working with MS to somehow get access to it for those who bought it Day 1 or so.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maaaan, the audio mix really is depressing. Guns lose a ton of oomph without a proper audio kickback so I have to crank the volume way higher than normal.

I have a spoilery theory about one of the characters in the Kreisau Circle:
Is J the alternate universe Jimmy Hendrix? They way he goes out is perhaps the strongest indication of this.

BeerSnob

Ramona is insane. Not that I blame her at all.

*MID GAME NPC SPOILER*
By the end I decided that she really needs to be the lead for the Expansion pack. Have it just be her hunting down Nazis who escaped justice after the fall of the Reich. Brutal executions and Romona just being a balls out psychotic killing machine. That could actually make an amazing Hitmany type game. Yeah yeah she's supposed to be dead, but...videogames.

Blues1990

Given I've been put off by First-Person Shooters for a while (I was burned out after playing the multiplayer modes of Halo 3, Reach, & Halo 4, excessively, while becoming increasingly disillusioned with how lackluster the campaign modes were), I'm in the mood for a solid campaign, & it looks like The New Order delivers on that end.

Out of the all the console versions of 'Wolfenstein: The New Order', which one is the best to pick-up?

*MID GAME NPC SPOILER*
By the end I decided that she really needs to be the lead for the Expansion pack. Have it just be her hunting down Nazis who escaped justice after the fall of the Reich. Brutal executions and Romona just being a balls out psychotic killing machine. That could actually make an amazing Hitmany type game. Yeah yeah she's supposed to be dead, but...videogames.

Keep playing...

Realyn

Wait, they are serious with sprint and duck at the same time while the default keys are shift and left ctrl? What da fukk?

Do I have to do this often and need to rebind the duck key?

What the fuck the game has perks? Gonna start this up tomorrow, how do they work exactly? Is there a breakdown of them anywhere that anyone knows about? Google returned nothing. How did I miss talk of these for months leading up to the game?

Wait, they are serious with sprint and duck at the same time while the default keys are shift and left ctrl? What da fukk?

I'm using Alt for Crouch/Slide, since you can keep your fingers there rather than spacebar which is rarely needed in this game.

And yes, sprint sliding killing is required 3 times for a perk plus it's awesome.

cheezcake

Holy shit the playstation AU download servers suck, my peak download speed is 11 MB/s and I'm getting around 300 KB/s downloading Wolfenstein

soultron

Banned

No you don't need to do it often. Or at all, really? I've not come across a spot in my 2-3 hours so far where I've needed to slide under something.

Also, do the pinky roll! Hold SHIFT down with the tip of your pinky, then bring the rest of your pinky finger down onto CTRL! :D

Webbie

Banned

You will have to rebind but it takes two seconds to find something better. Also, i fucking love the potato mashers in the game, they have a satisfying explosion especially when it gibs the nazi soldiers!!

Realyn

Holy cow, those default PC controls are a thing of beauty. Usually I just start the game and change kesy on the fly, but after laying down was alt+s I just gave up and looked over everything.

Is there a way to bind lean left/right and lay down separately? I asume not, but asking doesn't hurt ;).

Holy cow, those default PC controls are a thing of beauty. Usually I just start the game and change kesy on the fly, but after laying down was alt+s I just gave up and looked over everything.

Is there a way to bind lean left/right separately? I asume not, but asking doesn't hurt ;).

I checked as well, and I can't seem to find a way to be able to bind lean left/right separately. That's seriously my only complaint about the controls though.

I missed this, just killing Nazis. Some of those newspaper clipping just made me feel pure fucking despair though. It was so weird seeing the Nazis just... Win through newspaper clippings, and eventually taking over the world

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just beat the
big fucker robot in the stealth chopper hanger.
I loved the noise it made, that weird VO thing. Anybody know what it was saying?

Bittercup

Oh that's interesting. Bethesda changed the region-lock:
"Changed PurchaseRestrictedCountries – DE AT JP CH IL › DE"
Still not on the list of ReleaseStateOverrideCountries. So I assume this means you could at least activate a ROW key (except in Germany) but still not play it without a VPN. But at least one restriction removed. Now the next one...!

Raptomex

This is probably the best FPS game I've played since the last Wolfenstein (2009) and that game was HIGHLY underrated. I beat it 3 or 4 times.

God I love id Tech engines. Nice to see another game using id Tech 5.

still on the opening level before heading off to bed..

THIS FUCKING GAME!!!!!

...the weapon feedback

...the conviction to the narrative and line-reads

...the art

...the 1080p/60fps

...I have a goddamn map instead of a giant arrow pointing me down a one-way hallway/shooting gallery

...The subliminal "Get Psyched"

...The Intro

....B.J is already becoming a better protagonist than the majority of what we saw last gen. That's right, the mute meathead from Wolf3D.

...The sound design (NOT MIX)

THIS IS GODDAMN WOLFENSTEIN ON UR PS4!!!!!

MIEN LIEBEN!!!

(^_____^)

Sandwich

Neo Member
I have a strong negative reaction to strong torture. I saw some videos of this game some weeks ago that had some of that going on and I'm unsure if I want to buy this game or not. I love this FPS gameplay but I'm not sure if it's worth it if the torture is really bad.

Anyone can give me a hint or two as to how much of that there really is in this game and how strong it is depicted?

SFenton

Never played a Wolfenstein game but just made it up to the part where you make a big choice and holy balls I'm having a blast.

Pure fun. That's it.

Levyne

Banned
Two big images before I go to bed. Not spoilerly,just Nazis in hallways in early game.

i70Y9X9Src0gW.bmp

iufxertVte9Ji.bmp

I think this game looks okay, all things considered.

If you aren't playing on Uber, what are you doing? It's the correct difficulty for anyone who's played a shooter or two. Especially on PC.

When I booted the game up and put it on my TV, I tried with a controller. But it's just not enough sensitivity for Uber to net those headshots even though there aren't bullet sponges but still gotta collect those helmets.

Performs pretty well on high settings for my laptop (ati mobility radeon 5650) getting 38+fps. It's just the first person in-game cutscenes that become a crawl and then audio lags, oh well.

I love that the leaning basically allows you to go prone, and it can be automatic if you're close to cover when it gives the direction arrow so you just need to press right mouse for aim rather than the dedicated lean button:
ib1dXW5UL7MQY5.jpg

Since I'm done with the Stealth perk tree by the start of chapter 3 now, I can now go full rampage mode if I want to.

The game is clearly incentivizing your rambo playstyle with the health overcharging packs lying around like candy. Need to use them more often in combat during those few seconds of respite.

BTW, one cool tidbit. If you don't kill the commander on the phone in chapter 1 right away, you can get to hear this which made me feel a little pity:
http://i.minus.com/iScDv7w7z1Tfj.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iu4dLxgUP2CYr.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i7PWfpNgEW9nV.jpg

Oh...hi
iMtdXZ9o3AA2w.jpg

It's...beautiful. The gore, it's just too good.
iZNnNMcSwcWUL.jpg

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home, bought the PS4 version. Patch is downloading, guess I have to wait for it to download completely before playing? I know you can play the game before downloading the entire digital copy, but what about the patch?

Webbie

Banned
Oh man, i was sitting behind the commander listening to his conversation...but he just kept saying YES and NO at one point and i thought that was it so i just shanked his ass. DAMN.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, this game is awesome so far. Played through the first four chapters and I'm really impressed. Guns feedback is fantastic, controls are tight and responsive, story is well told, and there's lots of opportunities to mix up play styles.

Only bad thing is that it's probably the ugliest PS4 game I've played but I haven't noticed a single dropped frame, no tearing, and no texture pop in so at least it holds up technically in that sense.

Oh man, i was sitting behind the commander listening to his conversation...but he just kept saying YES and NO at one point and i thought that was it so i just shanked his ass. DAMN.

Haha that was becoming a running joke but then one second later he brings it up.

Timan

Developer
Just completed it, I felt the game was pretty solid. Game can look pretty damn nice at times, and pretty bad at others.

Top Bottom