• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Realyn

Gameplay is cool so far. Pretty oldschool. While I like the perks it feels like they distract me from the actual game. I've been more busy doing those silly perks than paying attention to the "story" and surrounding. Honestly don't know if that's a good thing.

What dissapoints me are secrets shown as big fucking questionmarks on the map. Really? Reaaallly?

i really wasn't going to get this so soon but i was watching someone play on youtube and had to stop and order the game. it just damn fun. i'm gonna get it friday and just play it all day.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gameplay is cool so far. Pretty oldschool. While I like the perks it feels like they distract me from the actual game. I've been more busy doing those silly perks than paying attention to the "story" and surrounding. Honestly don't know if that's a good thing.

What dissapoints me are secrets shown as big fucking questionmarks on the map. Really? Reaaallly?
Secret locations are only revealed when you stealth kill a captain. They're not always there.

Realyn

Is there a reason why the PC version can't run on rigs that can play PS3/360 level ports?

Is it just bad scaling by MachineGames?

Pretty sure it's the engine. I have a 2500k and a 460 gtx. High gets me 0-1 fps.

I know I know this isn't the best setup, but for example Metro or BF4 ran and looked way better.

Webbie

Banned
Is there a reason why the PC version can't run on rigs that can play PS3/360 level ports?

Is it just bad scaling by MachineGames?

I feel like that unless devs use the PC as the main build and then port over to the other consoles pc gamers will continually get screwed outside of Valve and one or two other devs when it comes to performance.

Hawk269

Loving the game so far. Taking my time and looking into every nook and cranny. Still in the first chapter too. However, not sure if I should continue or not because of the audio. It is really that bad. Turning up the volume "a lot" helps, but at times the audio for the cut-scenes are extremely loud. I don't understand how something like this got pass Q&A to begin with.

I would assume this is something that is easily patchable and should not take much work to fix and I hope that they do because it really takes away from the game. I also agree, visually this game can be stunning looking and at other times just "ok". Overall, though I think it looks pretty damn good and it is running rock solid (Xbox One version).

commissar

I have a strong negative reaction to strong torture. I saw some videos of this game some weeks ago that had some of that going on and I'm unsure if I want to buy this game or not. I love this FPS gameplay but I'm not sure if it's worth it if the torture is really bad.

Anyone can give me a hint or two as to how much of that there really is in this game and how strong it is depicted?
First hour or so maybe? whatever, spoilers:
Early on there's a bit where you are forced to choose between two dudes as to who lives or dies. The poor bastard is then attached to a vicious looking machine and you hear him screaming but you don't see much. Chilling and horrible because when you enter the room there's existing bodies on the machines with the skin of their back parted out. Which makes you imagine all the horrible shit the machine is doing. So not too bad but definitely cruel (and important for the villain to be villainous etc etc.)
Most worstest bit: (not big spoilers if you read the first one but nonetheless....spoilers. Hmm maybe that sentence is also...a spoiler?)
...but then at the end of the game there's a flashback and you see what actually happens. Essentially the guy is placed on this surgical device, blade runs down his spine and his skin is parted back. Then a spinning blade cuts a hole in the back of his skull and his brain is vaccumed out (lol). I'ts cruel and horrible but also ridiculous and not too long.
What you probably saw in the trailer that you're thinking of and not really that spoilery but still spoilers:
There's a part early on in the game which is straight out of Inglourious Basterds with a Nazi officer tied to a chair. It's fraught with menace and the threat of a good chainsawing...but it's all good :p

There's a few other short/minor bits of cruelty/torture but those are the stand out ones I guess. A bit over the top and ludicrous so not too bad. Either way, it is a bloody and gory game with all the head explosions and Nazi menacing shit but the cruel stuff above is a small part. But also pivotal to the story. I think the game is awesome :]

I'm only a little bit in on the PS4 so far but it plays really well, graphics are pretty good but the fog seems a bit pixelated other then that no complaints. Oh make sure anyone underage isn't in the room, I definitely wish my little brother wouldn't have seen it.

Alright buddy, thanks.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I love this game so goddamned much. I'm at the 3rd chapter and I honestly can't believe people have stated that this looks bad/okay. It looks great and so far a big step up from Rage as far as textures are concerned, and I'm playing on medium! On my C2D 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, and GTX 560ti with the latest beta drivers I can get 50-60fps 90% of the time, 40s when things get really hectic.

Levyne

Banned
Just randomly want to blurt out that if you've played any fps before ever, play on uber. Not saying this to anyone in particular.

link4117

Oh man, i was sitting behind the commander listening to his conversation...but he just kept saying YES and NO at one point and i thought that was it so i just shanked his ass. DAMN.

I heard all that and was still waiting to knife him. I wanted him to hang up. I thought if I knifed him while he was talking, more reinforcements would come or something.

nate75

just finished the XBone version and started on the ps4 version ,one thing i did notice was the lack of a subtle depth of field effect on the gun on XBone other than that they seem identical.
(off screen but i think it ilustrates the point )

Jn946kGl.jpg

XBone

sYdPY2Kl.jpg

PS4

Ha the story cracks me up in a good way at the beginning:
Slapped a soldier to help ptsd, jumped out of a plane, and had such fake (movie) cpr.
. So yeah not while the preview comparing it to TLOU (two completely different games lol) seems to be wrong, I'm having fun. Can't wait for more stuff, though the later scenes scene sounds plenty dark. Gunplay is so good!

Played for about 20 minutes on PS3, now time for bed. Seems fun so far, and man, I forgot how great it is to play a shooter on consoles at 60fps.

I haven't touched COD in years, so the only games I've played at 60 have been on PC. Nice to play a smooth game on my couch.

Sandwich

Neo Member
First hour or so maybe? whatever, spoilers:
Early on there's a bit where you are forced to choose between two dudes as to who lives or dies. The poor bastard is then attached to a vicious looking machine and you hear him screaming but you don't see much. Chilling and horrible because when you enter the room there's existing bodies on the machines with the skin of their back parted out. Which makes you imagine all the horrible shit the machine is doing. So not too bad but definitely cruel (and important for the villain to be villainous etc etc.)
Most worstest bit: (not big spoilers if you read the first one but nonetheless....spoilers. Hmm maybe that sentence is also...a spoiler?)
...but then at the end of the game there's a flashback and you see what actually happens. Essentially the guy is placed on this surgical device, blade runs down his spine and his skin is parted back. Then a spinning blade cuts a hole in the back of his skull and his brain is vaccumed out (lol). I'ts cruel and horrible but also ridiculous and not too long.
What you probably saw in the trailer that you're thinking of and not really that spoilery but still spoilers:
There's a part early on in the game which is straight out of Inglourious Basterds with a Nazi officer tied to a chair. It's fraught with menace and the threat of a good chainsawing...but it's all good :p

There's a few other short/minor bits of cruelty/torture but those are the stand out ones I guess. A bit over the top and ludicrous so not too bad. Either way, it is a bloody and gory game with all the head explosions and Nazi menacing shit but the cruel stuff above is a small part. But also pivotal to the story. I think the game is awesome :]

Thanks. The thing you mentioned in the second spoiler-tag is the kind of thing that would keep me from buying this game. The really annoying thing is that I can't know if it's "too much" for me or not without seeing it. And if I see it then it's too late to stay away from it :p

Oh well, I'll try to make a decision based on this.

Webbie

Banned
I heard all that and was still waiting to knife him. I wanted him to hang up. I thought if I knifed him while he was talking, more reinforcements would come or something.

Funny enough, i don't know if it was just me or it's a game thing but i had your thought too but i did it anyways and once i shanked him, a dog started barking at me through the door.

nded

Cool, I'm at a part where I have to run around a wide open area while enemies shoot me from all directions including from above.

ieatzombies

God, that music on the menu screen is so good. I'm absolutely loving the shit out of this game. Feels like coming home. It's been far too long since we've had a shooter/game like this. A true palate cleanse.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
are there no texture pop in issues on the console versions?

When you restart at a checkpoint, briefly. I've only played the PS4 version, though.

The_Afroman

One thing about this game is, it's a return to old in the health pick ups. Man, talk about having to get used to that again. Also.. Another thing I am HELLA glad for? No Unreal 3 Engine. I know some folks have issues with this id engine.. But man, something about the U3 engine that says "hey.. I'm the unreal engine"

This is engine looks great.

I'm on chapter 4 or 5, I believe. Gosh, the gunplay is so fucking satisfying.

I'm loving the hell out of the game. Cutscenes are very well done from camera position to dialogue. I chuckled during an specific scene
when Anya's grandpa says to B.J. he's not as good looking as him or something
Also the
sex scene didn't feel awkward at all. The only sex scene during a game where I haven't being like "uhm, why is this happening?"

Having an old school blast so far, so I hope it keeps the pacing just like that. I like the narrative on this one way more than certain game that one like a thousand GOTYs last year, but that's another story.

JLeack

Banned
Remember the guy in here a few days ago saying the game is a big piece of crap and that it's an ugly game.

One word: LAWL.

I told you so. This game rocks!

Burger

Glad there is no multi on this, looks like they really had time to focus on the SP. Cutscenes are really great so far.

Multi would have been the same "Shoot the other guys before they shoot you" shit that's prevalent in most games in the past 10 years.

God, that music on the menu screen is so good. I'm absolutely loving the shit out of this game. Feels like coming home. It's been far too long since we've had a shooter/game like this. A true palate cleanse.

I wanted to say this too. Menu Music is absolutely fuckin boss. Only just finished the opening chapter last night, but it was great.

Orayn

After hearing some rave impressions from friends, I bought this game with a 20% off coupon.

...From GameFly Digital. PURCHASE UNDER REVIEW, PLEASE CALL US TO CONFIRM BY USING A TELEPHONE LIKE IT WAS THE EARLY 20TH CENTURY OR SOMETHING.

The struggle is real.

jaosobno

OK, so I've played the game for several hours (couldn't stop) and here are my impressions:

What I LOVE:

Story: absolutely stellar and fresh look on (alternate history) WW2. Voice acting is superb and surprisingly, BJ isn't just your one-dimensional "come, get some" marine. The way that BJ's voice actor narrates his personal trauma sends shivers down my spine.

Gameplay: guns feel amazing. Every single play style is viable; you can stealth your way through the game (there are parts on high difficulties where run&gun style will leave you dead very fast - this usually applies to more open spaces with a lot of enemies), you can go guns blazing (dual wielding works incredibly well) and you can take more tactical approach of taking out enemies using cover system, which works perfectly. As a proof of your arsenal's power, there is plenty of gore.

Atmosphere: this game is drenched in it. In the initial levels, while I was creeping through the castle armed with a silenced gun, the game's music, background noises and level design left almost horror-like experience. Nazis in this game are brutal (just like their real life counterparts) and the game perfectly manages to relay the horror of facing Nazi war machine (which, to make matters worse, is winning the war).

1080p@60FPS: in several hours, I haven't seen a single frame drop and therefore it seems that this game manages to pull off a locked framerate.

Plenty of collectibles and secrets: this simply brings back that old school feel. Trophy and achievement hunters are going to love this game.

Health system: medpacks combined with partial regen system works very well. It forces you to be more careful when playing (specially on higher difficulties), while at the same time, it doesn't leave you in a frustrating situation of wandering around with 1 HP, desperately searching for a medpack.

Perk system/skill tree: you unlock new perks by performing certain actions, not by distributing points acquired through some kind of experience system. There are 4 types of perks (for each play style, although you'll be using a mix of play styles most likely) and each skill in a particular skill tree will require you to perform actions that conform to a certain style (for example, special stealth kills will unlock skills in Stealth tree).

What I'm NEUTRAL about:

Graphics: although 1080p@60FPS is worth the sacrifice, it's my personal opinion that devs could have used higher resolution textures. Also, most surfaces are flat, lacking even in simple bump mapping - at least as far as I could notice (and logically, displacement mapping or parallax occlusion mapping are completely non-existent). There are some nice lighting effects and nice character models (specially Deathshead's face which is incredibly detailed). Also, there were some early reports that this game doesn't use any AA method - this isn't true. While there are some slight jaggies, it's not even close to some screenshots that were posted in this thread. Overall, the graphics are OK, and nothing more.

What I DISLIKE:

Sound: after spending many hours in BF4 before playing Wolfenstein, the sound mix in this game clearly lacks in quality. I'm playing this game on PS4 with Gold Wireless Headset and while most games (specially BF4) have that "BOOM" effect, this game lacks in that department. Weapons in Wolfenstein feel powerful, but they don't sound like that. Probably lack of bass.

Manual pick up of items (health, ammo, etc.): becomes annoying very fast since in most cases you clear the room and then scrounge through corpses and crates for health and ammo.

No multiplayer: while I appreciate dev's intention of bringing great single player experience and refusing to add a tacked on multiplayer mode, I still believe that MP in this game would be amazing. It's a shame, but hopefully, MP will be added in the sequel (if there is one).

OVERALL:

If I had to give this game a grade right now, I'd say: 9/10.

I will definitely play though this game twice, perhaps even platinum it (if it's not too time consuming). Absolutely worth $60, even without MP.

P.S.

The AI is fine, it runs for cover and tries to flank you. Nowhere near as stupid as that earlier video made us believe.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
there are no major differences between pc and ps4 other than possible higher resolutions, right?

And MSAA on PC by editing the config file. No AA on PS4.
Other than that, I don't think there are any at all.

TAJ

Thanks. I read something about not being able to play past the intro until it had fully installed, but I have no idea what platform that was.

Maybe they meant digital?

notBald

Manual pick up of items (health, ammo, etc.): becomes annoying very fast since in most cases you clear the room and then scrounge through corpses and crates for health and ammo.

Now that you mentioned it I hadn't noticed that. I guess since I recently played Bioshock I've gotten used to manual pickup.

I'm genuinely shocked
at how good the sex scenes are in this game, even better than the witcher.

I'm too much of a prune. Devs should watch less Game of Thrones.

The AI is fine, it runs for cover and tries to flank you. Nowhere near as stupid as that earlier video made us believe.

Yeah, the A.I. is not horrible. I've had a few "oh shit, should have watched my flank" moments.

But it's not without faults either. Especially the stealth "crawling" feels silly when they overlook you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
60 FPS across the board on ALL platforms is a nice surprise.

Though, like Rage, I imagine the current gen versions drop resolution to maintain the frame rate dynamically.

Pavillion

finished playing for the night. Played through the prologue and it was pretty enjoyable. However, is anyone else finding it hard to find a good sensitivity to play at? It's either too fast or slow for me. Not a huge deal but it makes it a bit more difficult.

Top Bottom