• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

I will get this delivered tomorrow, paid $40 for the PS4 version.

Yay or nay?
X1 or PS4?
impressions please?

I'm only a little bit in on the PS4 so far but it plays really well, graphics are pretty good but the fog seems a bit pixelated other then that no complaints. Oh make sure anyone underage isn't in the room, I definitely wish my little brother wouldn't have seen it.

If you're on PS4:
Settings>Sound and Screen>Audio Output Settings>Audio Format. Then unselect Linear PCM by selecting Bitstream, then re-select Linear PCM.
Thanks for the tip, but I'm on a PC. Audio through digital optical piped into Onkyo receiver w/ 5.1 surround. Playing around with it at the moment...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This game is so much fun so far. I really miss having fun in FPS, and this game bring back some of that retro FPS fun with running and gun blazing every where. the retro style pick up with the new health system is great and it can change the way you play when you low on health, It encourage you to do crazy things to unlock upgrades and to search the levels for stuff. also holy shit the weapons, thoese crazy big weapons.

MachineGames for the next Doom or Quake please.

the audio........ wtf? am i suddenly tone deaf? everything sounds so flat and distant.

Mixing and positional audio is clearly broken.

SHL23

Banned
played the first 2 chapters and its awesome. cept i hate the engine. capped at 60fps... wtf carmack you used to make revolutionary engines

Nemesis_

12 perks unlocked and I'm not even finished chapter 1. Am I doing it right?

This is what I'm doing too. They shouldn't let you grind them because everytime I die I just change focus. I'm consciously trying NOT to grind them but it's hard ._.

Andrew.

Banned
This is what I'm doing too. They shouldn't let you grind them because everytime I die I just change focus. I'm consciously trying NOT to grind them but it's hard ._.

I dig this kind of grinding though. If the programmers or developers didn't want this to happen, or didn't want you to discover the fact that you could do this, then they wouldn't have let it happen. That's the way I see it anyway

I just want to be a powerhouse early on. And it looks like that's how it's going to be. Which is awesome.

antitrop

Okay, so I beat the first mini-boss. This game is fucking awesome, impressions time!

Game runs like shit on PC, my FPS is anywhere from 25-60, usually somewhere around 50. Everything looks okay as long as you don't get too close to anything, then it's PS2 time.

Controls are great, I like the leaning ability. The running slide is kind of difficult to do with a Keyboard (Shift, then Ctrl), but I don't think it's something you have to use, anyway.

Gunplay is absolutely incredible, weapons feel powerful, screen shakes appropriately, everything sounds good. I'm enjoying being able to dual-wield everything. Killing people feels very satisfying in this game, definitely above average in that department. The animations really sell it.

I'm really enjoying the story and characters so far, the cutscenes are interesting and well-directed. I'm not normally the type to stop and read journals, but I am in this game.

I like the Starbreezy semi-open feel to the level design, exploring the space for spoils after a battle is always satisfying. Definitely more enjoyable than the corridor combat checkpoint-to-combat checkpoint gameplay of Call of Duty, that's for sure.

Thumbs fucking up, so far!

FaintDeftone

Definitely enjoying the game so far. Old school FPS action at its finest. I'm actually surprised at the directionthe story is going. Hopefully the game holds up.

Back in my day you paid 50 or 60 bucks for a purely single player game. And it was good.

ibqNzeO2m4W8xe.gif

Gotdamn right. If there's any justice in this world, MachineGames will be able to continue pumping these out as long as they wanna.

Dug

Banned
I like how the lighbar is used in this game. Going from green to red when you health goes down, nice little touch.

Anyone else not get the 5 gig update on Xbox One?
I fully installed the game but did not see an update prompt.

Fantastic game by the way. It is very immersive and I love the soundtrack thus far (got to chapter 3).

I never got an update, either. I waited for it while installing the disc but it never prompted me for it.

DukeBobby

Game runs like shit on PC, my FPS is anywhere from 25-60, usually somewhere around 50. Everything looks okay as long as you don't get too close to anything, then it's PS2 time.
!

My performance is poor too, but I'm having so much fun that I don't give a shit.

Back in my day you paid 50 or 60 bucks for a purely single player game. And it was good.

This game is so fucking rad.
Yeah, it's funny actually. My girlfriend isn't much of a gamer (though she fell in love with Skyrim after watching me play it and 'just wanting to walk around') but she used to watch her Dad play Wolfenstein, Half-Life and a few other games and she reckons she'll play this too. Purely because it looks retro and like something she would have seen back then.

Hopefully others will appreciate it for the same reason, a lot of my friends are new age gamers (COD 4 was the best thing ever, by the way) and perhaps it will be a barrier to their enjoyment.

psychotron

So glad I went with my gut and kept my pre-order. This game is fucking awesome!! Yes, the textures can look bad up close, but overall the game looks great and runs at a solid 60fps (PS4). Not to mention the destructibility of the environments. It's awesome fighting nazis and chipping away at the pillar they're using for cover.

The voice acting and story so far are top notch. I do find the audio mix to be very off, but I haven't tried the tip mentioned above yet.

The grenade perk is kind of a dick, I didn't get it in the first chapter because I was being stealthy and now all the grenades are energy based so it seems impossible to get so that entire perk tree hasn't been started. At chapter 10 at this point so it's kind of a bummer.

I thought the first couple of levels were fun, but once you get to the "KILL EVERYONE" part......so good. And then when you get the automatic shotguns + dual wielding.............DELICIOUS

So glad I went with my gut and kept my pre-order. This game is fucking awesome!! Yes, the textures can look bad up close, but overall the game looks great and runs at a solid 60fps (PS4). Not to mention the destructibility of the environments. It's awesome fighting nazis and chipping away at the pillar they're using for cover.

The voice acting and story so far are top notch. I do find the audio mix to be very off, but I haven't tried the tip mentioned above yet.

Why did I cancel my pre order? Fuck

Levyne

Banned
I thought the first couple of levels were fun, but once you get to the "KILL EVERYONE" part......so good. And then when you get the automatic shotguns + dual wielding.............DELICIOUS

When I first started reading this post I thought it was gonna go the other direction, haha.

DukeBobby

The grenade perk is kind of a dick, I didn't get it in the first chapter because I was being stealthy and now all the grenades are energy based so it seems impossible to get so that entire perk tree hasn't been started. At chapter 10 at this point so it's kind of a bummer.

Why can't you just replay an earlier chapter to get the perks?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The Quake 4 shotgun is better I take it?

for me the problem is with the sound. the shotgun itself is super powerful and destroy things like a crazy bull but the sound is not there so it lose its "feel"

Bethesda and Machinegames need to fix the audio here.

Nemesis_

I haven't been hit by the dreaded Day 1 patch yet and I am starting to wonder if it's going to come or not? I assume it fixes any issues people might have?

Andrew.

Banned
for me the problem is with the sound. the shotgun itself is super powerful and destroy things like a crazy bull but the sound is not there so it lose its "feel"

Bethesda and Machinegames need to fix the audio here.

All the guns in the game lack a strong bass, so you get the CRACK of the gun, but not the THUMP. Ideally, you have both.

It's an inside joke you nerds.

But now I'm really excited to see what the shotgun is like. I'm still on chapter 1 and I've been playing for four hours.

Xyber

It's an inside joke you nerds.

But now I'm really excited to see what the shotgun is like. I'm still on chapter 1 and I've been playing for four hours.

I feel like you are wasting your time a bit grinding perks. You really don't need most of them to be a killing machine.

Andrew.

Banned
I feel like you are wasting your time a bit grinding perks. You really don't need most of them to be a killing machine.

It isn't a waste of time if I'm having fun, which I am in fucking spades.

And a lot of the time has been spent on exploration and finding all the collectibles

Top Bottom