• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

DieH@rd

Banned
finished playing for the night. Played through the prologue and it was pretty enjoyable. However, is anyone else finding it hard to find a good sensitivity to play at? It's either too fast or slow for me. Not a huge deal but it makes it a bit more difficult.

Yeah, I noticed this also. It seems like PS4 [and probably all other console version] have slight look acceleration applied. :-/ I would very much like to remove this effect, but it is not a deal breaker for me.

Pimpwerx

After hearing some rave impressions from friends, I bought this game with a 20% off coupon.

...From GameFly Digital. PURCHASE UNDER REVIEW, PLEASE CALL US TO CONFIRM BY USING A TELEPHONE LIKE IT WAS THE EARLY 20TH CENTURY OR SOMETHING.

The struggle is real.
GameFly sells digital codes for PSN? PEACE.

what's funny is that the 2009 Wolfenstein for PC is now lost to time and activision nor bethesda is publishing it on any digital stores.

The cheapest copies on Amazon and Ebay are $45-$50 for the retail pc version.

What's also driving demand is that it seems that the pirated release has a glitch that doesn't let you finish the game according to some posts on steam forums. I also don't think it's available even if you bought it on the past on steam.

I think i might just get the PS3 version cheap sometime. I never finished that game and it was pretty good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what's funny is that the 2009 Wolfenstein for PC is now lost to time and activision nor bethesda is publishing it on any digital stores.

The cheapest copies on Amazon and Ebay are $45-$50 for the retail pc version.

What's also driving demand is that it seems that the pirated release has a glitch that doesn't let you finish the game according to some posts on steam forums. I also don't think it's available even if you bought it on the past on steam.

I think i might just get the PS3 version cheap sometime. I never finished that game and it was pretty good.

"Lost to time" implies it's, well, lost. The situation is just that there's an impasse because Acti owns the game (it was still in development when Zenimax bought id, so it wasn't included in the sale) and Zenimax doesn't want to cough up however much Acti wants for it, which is liable to be a relatively pretty penny since I highly doubt Acti broke even, even factoring in the $0 marketing budget. One side is going to cave eventually, though, because as the situation currently stands neither party is making any money.

"Lost to time" implies it's, well, lost. The situation is just that there's an impasse because Acti owns the game (it was still in development when Zenimax bought id, so it wasn't included in the sale) and Zenimax doesn't want to cough up however much Acti wants for it, which is liable to be a relatively pretty penny since I highly doubt Acti broke even, even factoring in the $0 marketing budget. One side is going to cave eventually, though, because as the situation currently stands neither party is making any money.

well lost to licensing and business agreements then.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A DirectX injector won't work on an OpenGL game.

Apparently you can access the console to tell it to multisample somehow.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A DirectX injector won't work on an OpenGL game.

Apparently you can access the console to tell it to multisample somehow.

You can, but apparently that's pretty unstable. That might be why it's not in the regular options.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Btw there's not AA selector on options.

So I pressume the game doesn't use any AA, so...sweetfx SMAA to the rescue.

Am I right?
Rage was a miracle for downsampling, so once they sort out the performance weirdness on PC that would be your best bet.

I had a modest card and Rage downsampled from absurd resolutions.

Dice

You can, but apparently that's pretty unstable. That might be why it's not in the regular options.
I also just read that it doesn't work at all for ATI cards.

Shame, because Rage (eventually) showed that it's perfectly possible with the engine.

Hammer24

Banned
I´m now at
the bridge
Still enjoying this game pretty much, but I dislike that some of the later levels basically try to force you to either Rambo or Sam Fisher them, and don´t leave you the choice.

seph1roth

Rage was a miracle for downsampling, so once they sort out the performance weirdness on PC that would be your best bet.

I had a modest card and Rage downsampled from absurd resolutions.

I run it at 60fps constantly with a 770 OC, downsamplig probably will make the game run on 30fps.

I'm going to try it but i think that is not an option...MSAA is other story.

Dice

I love this game so goddamned much. I'm at the 3rd chapter and I honestly can't believe people have stated that this looks bad/okay. It looks great and so far a big step up from Rage as far as textures are concerned, and I'm playing on medium! On my C2D 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, and GTX 560ti with the latest beta drivers I can get 50-60fps 90% of the time, 40s when things get really hectic.
Now I know for sure that AMD/ATI drivers/optimization are completely fucked. I literally have twice the machine and I'm getting worse performance on worse settings. At least I was lucky enough to get it playable.

big_z

just finished chapter 4/9, took about 3 hours to get this far. if you stealth when they want you can rip through levels super easy. if you trigger a fight the Nazi closets spawn enemies like crazy and it actually slows you down considerably. the AI is beyond dumb, you can stealth kill a dude while another enemy walks towards you five feet away unalarmed. (im playing one difficulty up from normal btw) pretty average game to me so far.

Nemesis_

I don't know if it's easier on consoles or something but Uber really isn't that much of a challenge at all. I dread to think how breezy a standard playthrough would be.

whyman

Pretty damn good game. Was a little slow start for me but now it's really kicking in. I love that you can actually stealth in this game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I also just read that it doesn't work at all for ATI cards.

Shame, because Rage (eventually) showed that it's perfectly possible with the engine.

Yeah, I personally used MSAA in Rage on a 7950.

Back in my day you paid 50 or 60 bucks for a purely single player game. And it was good.

This game is so fucking rad.

Rewind a few more years and you paid at MOST $50 bucks and had the pleasure of walking into your local PC game store and grabbing a few floppy discs to try our the shareware for free. Those were the days... Wolfenstein is giving my similar feels, just without the shareware.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this game, really taking my time to find all the hidden items as I go, playing as stealthy as possible so when I play it the second time I can go guns blazing.

I can't stop smashing crates...

Finished the first two chapters last night, taking some time out for looking around for passages & collectibles. While those textures are nothing to write home about, damn I am having fun with this game. The story has been a big (good) surprise, and the shooting is really tight. The FOV is even pretty good.

Playing on "I am death Incarnate" - but probably should have gone with Uber straight out of the box. A.I. is doing some hiding and flanking - but nothing 'too smart.' For $40 after the Best Buy deal - this has been a great purchase so far IMO.

ElRenoRaven

So having had time to digest what I've played so far while I slept I have to say The game lives up to the previous games. Machine Games did a great job of capturing that Wolfenstein feel. The guns are fun to shoot and I feel sound great. I love the old school conventions such as hunting for health, ammo, armor. I love the throw back sound effects for gathering those. The game just feels like Wolfenstein. I actually have missed some of these gameplay conventions. Not every damn game has to have regenning health, shields, etc. Not every damn game has to be open world.

To me Wolfenstein actually feels like a breath of fresh air in this COD clone filled market we have anymore. I can't wait to get home tonight from work and play some more.

codhand

Playing on "I am death Incarnate" - but probably should have gone with Uber straight out of the box. A.I. is doing some hiding and flanking - but nothing 'too smart.' For $40 after the Best Buy deal - this has been a great purchase so far IMO.

good to know.

i just finished 2009 Wolfy last night and the AI was actually really good. enemies threw shit tons of grenades, put up sheilds, ran to cover when approached. didnt pop-out from cover in the same way every time...etc. plus tons of enemy variety

this game i was crouching completely in the peripheral field of vision for the turret gunner in the early sequence, and he saw nothing? really bad field of vision right out the gate, maybe worse than Metro LL.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is probably the most interesting narratively driven shooter I've enjoyed this much since Half-Life 2.

Rizzi

Looking back at my collectables, it seems I missed a few of the early enigma code things.
Guess I'll be playing it again once I beat it, heh.

just finished the XBone version and started on the ps4 version ,one thing i did notice was the lack of a subtle depth of field effect on the gun on XBone other than that they seem identical.
(off screen but i think it ilustrates the point )

Jn946kGl.jpg

XBone

sYdPY2Kl.jpg

PS4

ugh, not cool

Gattsu25

Banned
So the polygon video review starts with this:

"Veterans from Escape From Butcher Bay and The Darkness have come together as new developer Machine Games who in turn have been entrusted with developer id Software's oldest property in Wolfenstein"​

Their written review starts with this:

"Wolfenstein: The New Order is the product of an unexpected marriage.
On one side, there's Wolfenstein, id Software's oldest franchise, which came before Doom to define an era of first-person shooters.​

How hard is it to fact check the first fucking line of your video review and the second fucking line of your written review?

psychotron

Might sound stupid, but I know I'm hooked on this game because I woke up this morning for work, and seriously contemplated calling in sick so I could play, lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
More than BioShock or the Metro games?
\

Yes. I'm not hot on BioShock, but did enjoy Infinite. Both still flawed. Didn't really like 2033, but thoroughly enjoyed Last Light.

I'm not so much saying this game is as good as the Half-Life saga, but a lot of parallels are drawn in the style of level and encounter design, along with the narrative driven and hugely diverse set pieces. It doesn't capture the same unbroken sequential adventure that Half-Life does, but I feel like I'm going a lot of places, doing a lot of things, and the game is never resorting to repetition in areas or encounters to extend length.

Andrew.

Banned
The cutscene music when you're first entering the
hospital
in Chapter 1 was so damn good that I restarted the checkpoint to hear it again, only to have it skip me directly to the game segment. Nooooooooooooooo.

Took me 5+hours to get to that point with posting here, exploring and grinding perks but hot damn am I having one hell of a fun time. At this point, I seriously doubt Ill finish this by the time Watch Dogs comes out next week.

Andrew.

Banned
Coming into work the morning after you were up all late the night before playing a new awesome game is always so shitty.

Today is gonna drag.

Top Bottom