• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

The moment someone tells me the PS3 version is decently solid I'm going to the store to buy a copy. I'm hunting through this thread for PS3/360 players but I haven't found any.

I was going to wait until I managed to join the next-gen brigade but now I just don't care. I want this game now.

EDIT: Found someone that said it's as solid as Rage. Welp I'm off to buy

The moment someone tells me the PS3 version is decently solid I'm going to the store to buy a copy. I'm hunting through this thread for PS3/360 players but I haven't found any.

I was going to wait until I managed to join the next-gen brigade but now I just don't care. I want this game now.

It's id Tech 5. It's going to be 60FPS, full 720p. There's going to be some texture pop-in when you turn around quickly and such. Some things will look great, others will look really blurry. Did you play Rage? Should be like that.

Nzyme32

Fredrik Thordendal's (of Meshuggah) contribution to the Wolfenstein TNO OST - Herr Faust

Not played the game so not sure of the context, if it is part of an intro to a character, set piece or just some stand alone thing in the end credits

El_Chino

just finished the XBone version and started on the ps4 version ,one thing i did notice was the lack of a subtle depth of field effect on the gun on XBone other than that they seem identical.
(off screen but i think it ilustrates the point )

Jn946kGl.jpg

XBone

sYdPY2Kl.jpg

PS4
Yeah I noticed the DOF was absent in the X1 version :/

It's id Tech 5. It's going to be 60FPS, full 720p. There's going to be some texture pop-in when you turn around quickly and such. Some things will look great, others will look really blurry. Did you play Rage? Should be like that.

Engine assumptions aren't good enough for me. I want actual performance comments from someone's who has played or seen a running build.

As I indicated in my edit, there was an impression earlier in the thread that confirmed what you said, though.

scitek

just finished chapter 4/9, took about 3 hours to get this far. if you stealth when they want you can rip through levels super easy. if you trigger a fight the Nazi closets spawn enemies like crazy and it actually slows you down considerably. the AI is beyond dumb, you can stealth kill a dude while another enemy walks towards you five feet away unalarmed. (im playing one difficulty up from normal btw) pretty average game to me so far.

I think my favorite part in the narrative is when one of the characters says, "Luckily, the nazis are stupid." I might be paraphrasing, but it made me laugh.

haveheart

Banned
my system:

I'm running it on a Phenom II X4 955 with a 660. Everythings on high and it runs very smooth, no framdrops or any other major problems. But some texture pop ups now and then.

my thoughts:

it's truly great. I love it, I'm having a blast. Currently in chapter 7.
Visuals are good, not mindblowing but it's got a very aesthetic look. The atmosphere is tense and the story is getting more and more exciting as I progress.
I love the gore and splatter effects. Finally a game that does it right again (I think Fear 2 was the last one where I liked the gore).
I have to point out that they did a great job designing the world. The newspaper headlines are really helping generating a cohesive world.

Only thing I don't like is the sound mixing, as before mentionend.
And the picking up of items. IMO it's a bit weird: Fast paced shooting on the one hand and constantly having to stop over bodies to press E...

eshwaaz

Just started Chapter 5 - having a fantastic time. My only complaints so far are the poor sound mix and that bodies feel too weightless (sound would have helped here, too). Otherwise, shooting is extremely satisfying, levels are nicely laid out, and settings have been varied. I'm actually interested in the characters and story that's unfolding as well.

Great job so far, Machine Games.

codhand

This is probably the most interesting narratively driven shooter I've enjoyed this much since Half-Life 2.

I dunno, the transitions to cutscenes are really jarring. it's really hard to take the plot seriously

the whole thing reeks of having watched Tree of Life one too many times, whole bits seemed ripped from Terrence Malick.

that being said

i'm still super early.

I do think Deathshead is a cool villain, so far.

sertopico

just finished chapter 4/9, took about 3 hours to get this far. if you stealth when they want you can rip through levels super easy. if you trigger a fight the Nazi closets spawn enemies like crazy and it actually slows you down considerably. the AI is beyond dumb, you can stealth kill a dude while another enemy walks towards you five feet away unalarmed. (im playing one difficulty up from normal btw) pretty average game to me so far.

Dumb like this?

idiotvsnazi4qjuv.gif

Might sound stupid, but I know I'm hooked on this game because I woke up this morning for work, and seriously contemplated calling in sick so I could play, lol.

I should be at work right now. I just finished a chapter and am getting ready to head to work. Game is really good. I like the shooting a lot and love the sound of shell casings. Glad I'm playing death incarnate. Hopefully it has me ready for uber on second play through.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just watched the entire GiantBomb quick look, and I think it sold me. Loved all of the Starbreeze games, and this looks like it shares some characteristics of those.

Z3M0G

The cutscene music when you're first entering the
hospital
in Chapter 1 was so damn good that I restarted the checkpoint to hear it again, only to have it skip me directly to the game segment. Nooooooooooooooo.

Took me 5+hours to get to that point with posting here, exploring and grinding perks but hot damn am I having one hell of a fun time. At this point, I seriously doubt Ill finish this by the time Watch Dogs comes out next week.

The OST is FANTASTIC so far... I may try to find it somewhere to listen to it at will.

Dawg

I must suck at this game. Playing on Uber PS4 and keep dying at the area in just the opening level. Might have to move it down a notch on the console version.

Only part I kept dying was literally at the start of the game...
where you have to shoot down planes "on rail". Don't know why but must have died like twenty times. I'm horrible at on rail parts on high difficulty.

Final chapter spoiler

The entire game is easy except for the final boss. Not sure if you guys will have a similar experience as myself, but he wrecked my shit quite a few times.

Looks like audio mix on PS4 version is completely FUBAR... thankfully I didn't dip in with $60 price tag

It's not that bad man. Just turn your receive about x2-x3 higher than you're used to and you're set. The sound design is still damn satisfying. Sure the weapons don't have an "oomph/LFE hit" but not every gun needs to sound like a damn howitzer. The actual "pop/crack" is super satisfying, especially in tandem with the fire animations and overall feedback in general.

Like someone else said, EVERY fucking gun feels super satisfying to fire :)

Also, if you have the Sony Gold headset, the game sounds great with the "Shooter" profile loaded

Andrew.

Banned
where you have to shoot down planes "on rail". Don't know why but must have died like twenty times. I'm horrible at on rail parts on high difficulty.

You can die at that part? Damn.

Regarding the beginning, I definitely had some trouble when you gotta jump
to the plane
. Died about five or six times.

lfvgt

Neo Member
my system:

I'm running it on a Phenom II X4 955 with a 660. Everythings on high and it runs very smooth, no framdrops or any other major problems. But some texture pop ups now and then.

my thoughts:

it's truly great. I love it, I'm having a blast. Currently in chapter 7.
Visuals are good, not mindblowing but it's got a very aesthetic look. The atmosphere is tense and the story is getting more and more exciting as I progress.
I love the gore and splatter effects. Finally a game that does it right again (I think Fear 2 was the last one where I liked the gore).
I have to point out that they did a great job designing the world. The newspaper headlines are really helping generating a cohesive world.

Only thing I don't like is the sound mixing, as before mentionend.
And the picking up of items. IMO it's a bit weird: Fast paced shooting on the one hand and constantly having to stop over bodies to press E...

I have the exact same system but I'm having some problems with framedrops. Can you post a screenshot of your ingame config? Or is it the default high preset?

Oh, and what drivers are you using?

Denzar

Wow, this game gives me feels. Feels I haven't experienced in a game since the PS2 era. I love the atmosphere, story, characters, graphics (from an artistic perspective) but most of all, the gunplay. It's incredibly satisfying.

Playing on PC here, and one thing bugs me. V-sync is turned on, yet the game still tears.

Sothpaw

My impressions of the PC version:

- Graphics and performance are great on PC.

- Gunplay is very solid.

- I like BJ's character a lot and I like the style of the storytelling.

- The gun sounds fucking suck.

Overall glad I made the purchase and really enjoying the game.

List of unlockable modes:

Code 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 9

Unlocks 999
Play Wolfenstein in 999 mode.
- 999% more action
- start with 999 health
- unlimited ammo
- ÜBER difficulty

Code 2
2 4 6 8 1 3 5 7 9
7 5 3 1 8 6 4 2 9

Unlocks WALK IN THE PARK
Play Wolfenstein in WALK IN THE PARK mode.
- all HUD elements except interactive prompts disabled
- rely fully on your senses to survive
- I AM DEATH INCARNATE! difficulty

Code 3
3 6 9 3 6 9 3 6 9
6 3 9 6 3 9 6 3 9

Unlocks HARDCORE
Play Wolfenstein in HARDCORE mode.
- all health and armor pickups removed from the game
- ÜBER difficulty

Code 4
4 8 3 7 2 6 1 5 9
5 1 6 2 7 3 8 4 9

Unlocks IRONMAN
Play Wolfenstein in IRONMAN mode.
- only one life
- game over if you die
- ÜBER difficulty

4 modes with harder difficulty.
I'm very disappointed.....

Is this all or you get one more for unlocking all previous modes ?

antitrop

God, that music on the menu screen is so good. I'm absolutely loving the shit out of this game. Feels like coming home. It's been far too long since we've had a shooter/game like this. A true palate cleanse.

With the "death" of People Can Fly, a new, great FPS developer emerges, MachineGames!

At least someone has our backs to provide us with great FPS gunplay. This really is some of the best shooting I've played since Bulletstorm.

MattyG

Banned
The cutscene music when you're first entering the
hospital
in Chapter 1 was so damn good that I restarted the checkpoint to hear it again, only to have it skip me directly to the game segment. Nooooooooooooooo.

Took me 5+hours to get to that point with posting here, exploring and grinding perks but hot damn am I having one hell of a fun time. At this point, I seriously doubt Ill finish this by the time Watch Dogs comes out next week.
Once you hit about chapter 5 or so, similar sounding music plays in the cutscene before every mission. It's SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD.

Chitown B

just finished the XBone version and started on the ps4 version ,one thing i did notice was the lack of a subtle depth of field effect on the gun on XBone other than that they seem identical.
(off screen but i think it ilustrates the point )

Jn946kGl.jpg

XBone

sYdPY2Kl.jpg

PS4

NeoGAF, where now blurrier is better on the PS4 too.

DirtyLarry

I have to try that Shooter profile on my Pulse Elite headset, as the voices especially were truly drowned out on the regular Game profile.

to the plane

I died like 5 times on the first part.
I kept getting to the "he's coming straight at us!" part and was yelling "but I don't see shit!" and then dying. When I finished, I thought I had died again, but then a cutscene started up.
I did the jump in one try though.

Dawg

to the plane

I'm going to assume it's easier on lower difficulties, no idea what difficulty you're playing.

Or I missed something, kept dying
near the end where Fergus says "he's coming straight at us!" and several planes come from different directions and shoot my health to zero

Andrew.

Banned
I'm going to assume it's easier on lower difficulties, no idea what difficulty you're playing.

Or I missed something, kept dying
near the end where Fergus says "he's coming straight at us!" and several planes come from different directions and shoot my health to zero

I'm rockin Death Incarnate even though it hasn't been any trouble so far. I'll save Uber for my second run.

If I die it's from going for perks, like the one where you gotta slide and shoot three dudes.

Raptor

Someone posted a video yesterday I think of some of the carnage you can do, My God I mean, headshots everywhere baby, blood spurting all over the place, arms, legs tored apart!!

Saturday come already!!

Top Bottom