• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

How do they differ?

Aside from images of Hitler having been replaced with images of this games' bad guys (like Frau Engel and Deathshead) the eagles sitting on a stand with a swastika on it were changed to something that looks like a chipmunk on a stand with a 1 on it. The soldiers also have green uniforms instead of brown and the flags have the Wolfenstein W instead of the swastikas. Other instances of swastikas have also been replaced with the W.

The chipmunk was what really caught me off-guard.

I don't know if the uncensored version had any of these changes.

I'll try to post a screenshot or two later (I'm at work now).

Yeah I really like this game so far. There's something about the way the characters, plot, dialogue and music which just feels tight, I think I'm only halfway but already I feel like this game has possibly the best narrative I've seen in an FPS, right up there with Half Life 2. Never thought I'd give a damn about the characters but they've done a great job on that front.

The mocap is sick as well.

That bit on the train with Frau and Bubi. I know you're supposed to be watching Frau but Bubi's body language, the little movements of his mouth and eyes were subtle but came across really natural to me. Very impressed.

I like the hub sections as well. Some of the fetch quests are a little irritating but overall it's a good way to get a feel for some of the characters, plus the easter egg is brilliant (though I wish it was longer, with maybe a Secret to collect for beating it). One issue I've had a couple of times tough is that you interact with a character and get a good cutscene but the transition between the cutscenes and gameplay is jarring. All it would need is a more relaxed audio/visual fade.

Still, a very nice surprise this game.

Aside from images of Hitler having been replaced with images of this games' bad guys (like Frau Engel and Deathshead) the eagles sitting on a stand with a swastika on it were changed to something that looks like a chipmunk on a stand with a 1 on it. The soldiers also have green uniforms instead of brown and the flags have the Wolfenstein W instead of the swastikas. Other instances of swastikas have also been replaced with the W.

The chipmunk was what really caught me off-guard.

I don't know if the uncensored version had any of these changes.

I'll try to post a screenshot or two later (I'm at work now).

Yeah thanks, that would be cool.

My laptop:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 3.40 GHz (when plugged in, of course)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 2 GB DDR3 VRAM

Seems like it meets the minimum requirement, and it ran RAGE well last time I played it. But should I get it right now? Or should I wait?

antitrop

This game could not have come at a better time. The gunplay is absolutely fantastic, even in linear corridors and hallways. I'm really beginning to appreciate the lean feature and the return of hip-firing is grand.

This is exactly the kind of game that needed to come out right now. Kickin' off next-gen shooter campaigns with a bang!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Three chapters left. Easily the best shooter on the market.

Someone on Twitter who's been RT'ed nearly 400 times believes Wolfenstein TNO gameplay hasn't changed from 1992 Wolfenstein compared to graphics and thinks this game is a sign of stagnancy in "shoot-em-ups".

https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469410064454139904
ioBOE4WqoduJ9.png

https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469412111073157120
iboAAuq5PEJiqi.png

https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469412572903378944
iF7vVOEl60LuD.png

I have to strongly disagree. You don't only shoot stuff in the game, you talk to characters, explore, make some choices, hotwire/lockpick, and more. It doesn't sound like the detractors have played the game and are ignorantly complaining about a genre.

Tokubetsu

This game really is the spiritual sequel to The Darkness, more than The Darkness 2. It's got that feel. I like that feel.

Glad I'm not the only one. As soon as I picked up the german assault rifle two games came flooding into my head. Clearing trenches in the winter mission/s in Call of Duty 1 and The Darkness for overall feel gameplay wise.

Someone on Twitter who's been RT'ed nearly 400 times believes Wolfenstein TNO gameplay hasn't changed from 1992 Wolfenstein compared to graphics and thinks this game is a sign of stagnancy in "shoot-em-ups".

ioBOE4WqoduJ9.png

https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469412111073157120
iboAAuq5PEJiqi.png

https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469412572903378944
iF7vVOEl60LuD.png

I have to strongly disagree. You don't only shoot stuff in the game, you talk to characters, explore, make some choices, hotwire/lockpick, and more. It doesn't sound like the detractors have played the game and are ignorantly complaining about a genre.
of all the horrible FPS games that exist, someone thinks wolfenstein is the right one to pick on.

sure...

My laptop:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 3.40 GHz (when plugged in, of course)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 2 GB DDR3 VRAM

Seems like it meets the minimum requirement, and it ran RAGE well last time I played it. But should I get it right now? Or should I wait?

I'm playing on a laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon 5650, and I'm playing fine (35-40fps on 1366x768, High settings). I could play RAGE on 45-60fps.

You can play Battlefield 4 on 1080p, man, I think you're good to go :p

dab0ne

Who the hell is Frank Swain? Never heard of him.

Edit: apparently he's a freelance science journalist or something. I guess it worked, I know who he is now.

Kolgar

This game really is the spiritual sequel to The Darkness, more than The Darkness 2. It's got that feel. I like that feel.

You, sir, just sold me on this game SO HARD.

My copy has been languishing behind the pickup counter at Best Buy, perhaps never to be claimed.

Not anymore.

CAN'T WAIT!

Marcel

of all the horrible FPS games that exist, someone thinks wolfenstein is the right one to pick on.

sure...

Wolfenstein is good if you just judge its gameplay as a shooter and nothing else. Like Rage, the story and map design can be disjointed and outright bad at some points in the game.

Dr Dogg

http://i.minus.com/ioBOE4WqoduJ9.png[IMG]
[url]https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469412111073157120[/url]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iboAAuq5PEJiqi.png[IMG]
[url]https://twitter.com/SciencePunk/status/469412572903378944[/url]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iF7vVOEl60LuD.png[IMG]

I have to strongly disagree. You don't only shoot stuff in the game, you talk to characters, explore, make some choices, hotwire/lockpick, and more. It doesn't sound like the detractors have played the game and are ignorantly complaining about a genre.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Intresting. Reading the guys feed I get the feeling he hasn't play any or much of it. If you're going to take a character portrait throwback which is verging on fan service territory about stagnancy then that's a pretty shallow argument. From my brief time with the game, even though it's going back to more traditional conventions, I'd say this is the shooter to put the cat amongst the pigeons not continue the trend of playing it safe with a shock event.

Arkanius

Have you guys noticed that Bubi

When he dies, he has a black moustache? Yet he is very very blonde? Sounds like he dyes his hair

Marcel

Huh? Intresting. Reading the guys feed I get the feeling he hasn't play any or much of it. If you're going to take a character portrait throwback which is verging on fan service territory about stagnancy then that's a pretty shallow argument. From my brief time with the game, even though it's going back to more traditional conventions, I'd say this is the shooter to put the cat amongst the pigeons not continue the trend of playing it safe with a shock event.

I would say Wolfenstein actually took on some action schlock/cinematic features that are more emblematic of the modern FPS. I think some of them work in its favor but others do not.
Secret Jewish technology society/Assassin's Creed shit? They immediately move away from it because's it's rock stupid.

Every time I boot the game on PC now I have to alt+ctrl+del, bring up task manager, then alt tab back into the game. Otherwise my keyboard inputs are not recognized by the game. It proceeds as normal from there until I restart the game.

Anyone else had that issue?

Zombine

Banned
I've been going through trying to collect as many of the collectibles as I can on my first playthrough, but I do have a few questions:

1) After you finish the game, can you go back and play individual chapters to mop them up?

2) if I start my next playthrough on the hardest difficulty, does it reset the collectibles?

This game is so much fun! It's something I needed to bide my time until the next big PS4/Xbone games pop up.

Snowballo

To save people the trouble of having to watch the video, here's the Playstation 4 audio fix:
  • Change sound settings (audio output)
  • On Playstation 4, make sure it's LPCM
  • Go to Primary output port, change to Digital Out, and select every option
  • The idea is you want sound coming through specifically as Dolby Digital and not another format?
Anybody got time to work out the steps for Xbox One? I'm away from home so I can't manually check for a few hours.

I'd like to ask the same concerning old gen versions, X360 and PS3.

Dr Dogg

Sorry Marcel I would quote you but I'm trying my best to avoid anything spoilery until I've finished up (the lines of black in thread are almost too tempt to click on).

Obviously I'm not that far into the story to be able to tell how the narrative is going to go but I was kind of trying to learn more on that the majority of FPS titles I've played the past 4-5 years have had quite flat gameplay and it was only the fact that at some point something was going to kick off, potential be offensive or divisive or used to shock that kept me play where as the gameplay alone has got me hooked on Wolf:TNO that I could happily play it on mute and still have a blast.

I do feel like it's a game where you get out what you put in. Sure you could play it like a ADS corridor shooter taking your time but for me that would get very stale fast. The fact you can zip about from encounter to encounter with no penalty for not using ADS (like FPS were always about), stealth is a viable option, cover and lean is implemented very well, or the fact you can mix all of these things up feels fresh even though they're not a new concepts. Still hey different strokes and all that.

Wolfenstein is good if you just judge its gameplay as a shooter and nothing else. Like Rage, the story and map design can be disjointed and outright bad at some points in the game.
Not exactly, I would call Wolfenstein a Hollywood like game, and ir feels like an over the top production from the beginning to end. But the gunplay is solid and the characters were diverse if nothing else.

Marcel

Sorry Marcel I would quote you but I'm trying my best to avoid anything spoilery until I've finished up (the lines of black in thread are almost too tempt to click on).

Obviously I'm not that far into the story to be able to tell how the narrative is going to go but I was kind of trying to learn more on that the majority of FPS titles I've played the past 4-5 years have had quite flat gameplay and it was only the fact that at some point something was going to kick off, potential be offensive or divisive or used to shock that kept me play where as the gameplay alone has got me hooked on Wolf:TNO that I could happily play it on mute and still have a blast.

I do feel like it's a game where you get out what you put in. Sure you could play it like a ADS corridor shooter taking your time but for me that would get very stale fast. The fact you can zip about from encounter to encounter with no penalty for not using ADS (like FPS were always about), stealth is a viable option, cover and lean is implemented very well, or the fact you can mix all of these things up feels fresh even though they're not a new concepts. Still hey different strokes and all that.

I agree that adding a mixture of elements for negotiating encounters is a good thing. But we're not talking, say, the core Doom games, where you rely on controller/keyboard dexterity and distinct enemy strategy. Most of the unique enemies in TNO are simply bullet/rocket sponges that you can play 'hide behind cover' games with. I didn't find anything amazing or nostalgic about those encounters. The last boss of the game is quite anti-climactic and I was really puzzled they ended the game that way.

I finished the game on Uber and running and gunning in the Doom fashion was not viable for me (Nightmare would be less frustrating for me to play honestly). Whether that's my skill level getting in the way or not remains to be seen. The game sort of pushes you to use stealth at some points, otherwise I'm just going to be watching the German quote load screen every time I get my shit wrecked in a gunfight with an Ubersoldat.

It does some things right to be sure. The gameplay is fun. Crushes the other Wolfenstein remake and the last shooter I played (Killzone: Shadow Fall). But you have to look at the full package as well and that's where things become more hairy.

seph1roth

For those who have finished the second playtrough, what kind of differences are there? Only on characters or affects the story and levels?

cheezcake

Sound mixing is seriously impacting the experience thus far...

You can be standing right next to a person and their gun still sounds like its across the room

zorbsie

I've been going through trying to collect as many of the collectibles as I can on my first playthrough, but I do have a few questions:

1) After you finish the game, can you go back and play individual chapters to mop them up?

2) if I start my next playthrough on the hardest difficulty, does it reset the collectibles?

This game is so much fun! It's something I needed to bide my time until the next big PS4/Xbone games pop up.

Everything stays. Make sure to not start a new game. Instead go to chapter select, pick chapter 1 and the difficulty level and you're good to go.

SkylineRKR

I play it since a week before release and the game has grown on me, as well. Shootouts are pretty cool and can be tackled differently (without spoiler, I loved the one in 11). There is some verticality. It looks colorful and its full of atmosphere. 3 chapters left.

At first I planned to sell it once Watch Dogs is out, but now i'm not sure... might replay it.

Andrew.

Banned
Reading about these crashes and saved data deletes in the PS4 version has me a bit concerned about finishing up. Im debating on stopping my playthrough before Chapter 16 and seeing if MG will patch this shit up.

Has anyone completed the PS4 version without any issues?

Marcel

Reading about these crashes in the PS4 version has me a bit concerned about finishing up. Im debating on stopping my playthrough before Chapter 16 and seeing if MG will patch this shit up.

Has anyone completed the PS4 version without any issues?

I didn't have any crashes in my time with my rental copy of the PS4 version. The situation might be overstated.

eshwaaz

Sound mixing is seriously impacting the experience thus far...

You can be standing right next to a person and their gun still sounds like its across the room
It's bizarre, isn't it? It's not like just a few people are mentioning this; no one is happy with the audio mix. I wonder how something like this made it through development unnoticed.

S¡mon

Banned
Question about the level which takes place in
on the moon

I just arrived there,
and one of the first things I had to do was grab my luggage. I did that and now the next objective is to find a spacesuit... but I've got no idea where to go. I cut the chain in the room where I got my luggage (but I couldn't pull the handle) and I killed the soldiers in 'waiting' rom.

Where can I find my spacesuit?

RawNuts

Wolfenstein, you fucking tease!

When I saw the chainsaw sitting on the table early in the game, I thought I was going to get that in my inventory; it looked like it was too unique to just be used for a cutscene in one sequence.
I hope I'm not alone here.

HigXx

This game is one of the best FPS I have ever played, been playing it constantly the past few days and I've reached the final boss,
it is a total pain in the arse, probably my only gripe about the game cause I can't beat him, the flames and the lack of cover are horrible

Swapped to play Killzone: SF for a bit and the switch between 30 and 60 FPS is totally notable, the gunplay of Wolfenstein is just perfection as well

Also to note, I'm on PS4 and have never had one crash, bugs or anything of the sort

To save people the trouble of having to watch the video, here's the Playstation 4 audio fix:
  • Change sound settings (audio output)
  • On Playstation 4, make sure it's LPCM
  • Go to Primary output port, change to Digital Out, and select every option
  • The idea is you want sound coming through specifically as Dolby Digital and not another format?
Anybody got time to work out the steps for Xbox One? I'm away from home so I can't manually check for a few hours.

Huh, so this must mean that the DTS mix is the bad one, if switching to Dolby Digital works just fine. (I'm guessing the LPCM mix is derived from their DTS mix)

I'll go try it on my PS3 copy after I eat breakfast. The PS3 fix should just be to select your audio output port in Audio Options and deselect anything that isn't Dolby Digital.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Those in Switzerland with the uncensored version on the PC can now play the game without need of a VPN.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have to say, this game really starts looking beautiful at points. Some really nice attention to detail and surprisingly crisp textures considering the engine limitations.

RWL.jpg

SWL.jpg

TWL.jpg

UWL.jpg

VWL.jpg

eshwaaz

The moment between Anya and B.J. at the start of Chapter
is amazing. I've never seen a more natural, convincing
expression of love between two video game characters
. The delivery of the dialogue, the facial expressions, the timing - everything is spot-on. Never expected this from a Wolfenstein game.

Moff

Those in Switzerland with the uncensored version on the PC can now play the game without need of a VPN.
thanks, will try as soon as I get home

do you know why? was it a mistake or is today the official release somwhere?

eshwaaz

Huh, so this must mean that the DTS mix is the bad one, if switching to Dolby Digital works just fine. (I'm guessing the LPCM mix is derived from their DTS mix)

I'll go try it on my PS3 copy after I eat breakfast. The PS3 fix should just be to select your audio output port in Audio Options and deselect anything that isn't Dolby Digital.
That's unfortunate for me if that's the case. I get intermittent speaker popping when using Dolby Digital on PS4 (with all games), while DTS is fine.

Jito

Banned
Played through two of my favourite chapters so far last night, 11
Gibraltar Bridge
and 12
The fucking Moon
I think it was. Level design on 11 was fantastic,
climbing through the wreckage of the train and up and down the bridge, reminded me of the Half Life 2 bridge
, and the whole environment and character design of 12 was brilliant,
because it's the fucking moon! So good, they really nailed Nazis on the moon.

So well into the second part of the game now and it's not gone to shit at all and I'm still not seeing the A:CM, COD or DN:F comparisons. What the hell were those guys smoking.

Also gotta mention the depth of field effects in this game, at first I wasn't too sure with blurring part of my gun but it really adds to the size and depth of the gun models and works well on the parts of the environment it's used. Graphics are fantastic in general, up there with Rage for hand crafted and painted worlds, every bit is different from the last.

milena87

I really want to play this game. Another (hopefully only) 4 days to go :(

This morning I was at 15,something / 40,7 GB. I appreciate the not compressed audio, but no pre-load was really disappointing.

Top Bottom