• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Gaz_RB

Man I was just thinking how much more satisfying it is to stab the shit out of a dog that has latched on to you than to waggle a thumbstick like most games would do. Jamming the R trigger feels way better. I usually give a little "Fuck yeah!" after I stab it off of me.

Mask

I think I've made the stealth levels too easy for myself.

Holding L2 down while you have the knife equipped lets you block, so even if I get seen, which is rare due to being able to one hit kill everything with throwing knives, I can just hold L2, let the first hit connect, then tap R2 and kill them instantly. So easy. There does seem to be a system to when you can perform an instant kill when being attacked. Directly after dodging an attack, just as an attack connects, and blocking and attacking all seem to trigger an instant kill.

Seriously, I just made my way through the Prison level without losing a single health point, even though I was seen several times.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Wasn't there supposed to be a massive patch for the Xbox one version, put my retail copy in for the first time yesterday and its not downloaded the patch? (it installed too quick for it to have downloaded the patch,it would have took hours on my connection).

Loving this game way more than I thought I would after only playing an hour or two.

Tone is great, and I love the 'lean' mechanic. Makes the gunfights a blast. Digging the stealth so far as well.

eastx

Tried play the Xbone version today and I'm not getting audio. The pilot is talking to me but I can't hear him. It's more than just the voices though, you can barely hear anything going on around the player character.

I ran into the same issue - I normally use surround sound but I switched to TV speakers to do some video capture (surround sound receiver creates audio lag). Strange that Wolfenstein does this, because most games sound fine regardless of the audio setting.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wish I hadn't played a chunk of this game after I picked it up. Having very little spare time the next several days is going to suck extra hard now.

DocSeuss

This game's so good, I'm going to go back through and replay it here shortly. Utterly blown away. The game could have benefited from having some sort of co-operative nazi horde-slaying mode, though, not gonna lie.

Too bad that final boss
wasn't mecha hitler

Not sure why people aren't calling it a Game of the Year contender, because it's so much better than Bioshock Infinite, I'm finding myself actually offended by Infinite in hindsight.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Made the observation when reading B.J.'s profile that Wolf2009 is indeed canon I suppose. Think I'm gonna go pic k up a copy from Gamestop tomorrow for collectors sake. That and it seems like one of the few places that isn't charging absurd prices for it as of right now.

There is no room for doubt anymore.
Deathshead surviving the zeppelin crash, Caroline surviving being shot (discussed in detail at one point in TNO, including the bit about her punching Hans in the face), the Kriseau circle, etc.

As far as I can tell, series canon is SoD > RTCW > 2009 > TNO. W3D doesn't fit because of the presence of Hans Grosse, and of course killing Hitler.

can someone tell me how far I am from the end..I was hoping to finish it tonight.
Just saw the custscene where guitar guy dies in the safehouse when it is raided

MattyG

Banned
Made the observation when reading B.J.'s profile that Wolf2009 is indeed canon I suppose. Think I'm gonna go pic k up a copy from Gamestop tomorrow for collectors sake. That and it seems like one of the few places that isn't charging absurd prices for it as of right now.
Yeah, as soon as
Deathshead said "I know you" or whatever he said,
I knew it was the same universe as 2009. Which is pretty cool, I liked that one a lot. I thought for sure this would be a sort of reboot.

RElement

Neo Member
relement4.jpg

relement3.jpg

Gonna be tough going back to 2009 B.J.
Dude was superbland and did the franchise no favors...

Didnt even consider Spear of Destiny to be canon though, lol
I remember loving the ending theme when I beat it as a kid.

The more I play this the more I enjoy it, and the worldbuilding, and the characters, and BJ of all things. He's got the look and voice for someone to crack Duke Nukem lines, but the stuff he says comes from a much darker and introspective place. When you let yourself off the hook for some unleashed ultraviolence you can feel yourself trying to reach this guy's scary headspace.

The game really looks damn nice at times too. Its got that Rage kind of sum-of-its-parts thing going for it, even though there's a ton of super low rez textures which sink the effect when you notice them.

Unless the whole thing goes to shit in the final hours I can definitely see myself replaying this a few times.

One question though: Does raising the difficulty change up enemy combinations or change encounters at all? Or is it just the standard lower player health with enemies hitting harder stuff?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Gonna be tough going back to 2009 B.J.
Dude was superbland and did the franchise no favors...

How can anyone hate this lovable lunk...

APCFdaVl.jpg

Didnt even consider Spear of Destiny to be canon though, lol
I remember loving the ending theme when I beat it as a kid.

Make sure you talk to the black market brothers often. :)

JayEH

Just beat the game. Damn what a ending. Really enjoyed the game, never thought I'd say the story and characters were my favorite parts of the game. This is how you do a story driven FPS (I'm looking at you Bioshock). I think the game could have been made into a fun MP game as well but I'm glad they focused on SP. But once again, wow! Great job Machine Games!

Regardless of how this game sells I hope Bethesda realizes what they have in Machine Games.

Mannnnnn,

That ending.

Feeling kinda mixed. Was there something after the credits?

There's a little something there if you pay attention. But if you want to know what it is check the next spoiler tag

You hear a helicopter fly by and a breath.

TheCloser

Banned
Just hit a game breaking bug. In chapter 4 I got disconnected from psn, then I started getting errors that said could not save your last checkpoint.
I then got to the prisoners in the room and Fergus asked me to cut the chain on the vent. My laser cutter just disappeared from the weapon wheel and i only had my knife.
I tried to start from the previous checkpoint and it gave me some stupid error about dlc. This closed the game and brought me to the main menu. While the chapters are unlocked, I have to start 4 over again. Screw this shit, game breaking bugs in a single-player only game are unacceptable. I'm so pissed off that I have to start again, I'm not even going to waste my time getting a platinum trophy for this game. Screw this shit.

Duxxy3

Finished it earlier. Probably have this as my favorite Wolfenstein campaign. I am gonna take a break from the game, and hope they fix the sound, before going back for the Wyatt playthrough.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I love some of the dialogue you hear if you hang around near people/places. For example
at the base later on in the game there's a part where Fergus is moving boxes in a helicopter. Teklas sitting outside on a wall muttering to herself as usual and he's like "No that's just fine Tekla, I know your feet are hurting. You just take a rest, don't push yourself now" She then eventually tells him how he's not utilising space in the helicopter properly with the way he's putting the boxes down

Just stuff like that makes me love the game even more.

Dr Dogg

I'm looking at a friend playing from the beginning at the moment, game looks real fun and it looks way better than I expected, too.

Are those cutscenes in-game or pre-rendered?

Prerendered and at 30fps (well probably 29.3 but let's not split hairs). Compression and artifacting on the titles was a bit of a give away, that and having CPU and GPU usage drop to almost zero along with a folder containing 5gb of the bastards.

I think you also perform different takedowns when dual wielding knives. Not sure if switching grips makes a difference there.

You can also block with L2/LT but that hasn't been very useful thus far.

What!?!? Oh man I should have called in sick today or something. Stealth isn't exactly what I've been striving for but takedowns are still viable whilst running around like a looney.

This game's so good, I'm going to go back through and replay it here shortly. Utterly blown away. The game could have benefited from having some sort of co-operative nazi horde-slaying mode, though, not gonna lie.

Too bad that final boss
wasn't mecha hitler

Not sure why people aren't calling it a Game of the Year contender, because it's so much better than Bioshock Infinite, I'm finding myself actually offended by Infinite in hindsight.

I've got to say when this was semi announced back in early 2013 I wasn't that interested until I found out machinegames were ex Starbreeze devs. As the marketing wore on I was having a look in but not something I was going to pick up on release. The latest batch of trailers got me more interested and the gameplay that came out of PAX convinced me it was worth picking up. If it wasn't for the fact I got it relatively cheap I would have waited for a sale but after 2 hours now I would have gladly paid double what I did as this so far has been the most refreshing shooter I've played in years, YEARS!

I love being pleasantly surprised by games and I'm sure to be talking up the game to any fool who will listen to me. I get the feeling it's a bit off the radar for some people.

Having not yet finished it, and also not trying to sound like I'm defending the game, it seems like the people who will get the most from Wolf: TNO are real fans of shooters, specifically fans of shooters who really enjoy the art of a good campaign. It's not doing anything revolutionary, it's not doing anything with multiplayer, and it's not pushing crazy tech on the graphics side of things, but what it does it does well and there aren't many devs doing it. Despite that, it's still not in a position to be viewed as the game with buzz, so praise will often be doled out alongside "Well it's a linear shooter but..." with a weird tinge of apathy for the genre before ultimately being positive on the narrative aspects. Shooters without a gimmick aren't cool anymore.

So while you say shooters are the smartest games you've ever played, and you play tons of em, and you look at all aspects of them with a microscope and appreciate them on a higher level, someone else who's just "passing through" casually enjoying Wolfenstein might not feel the same way. Hell, GAF is a hardcore site and even half the people here interested in the game hesitate to drop full price on it. It's hard to win over anyone thinking like that.

Storm360

I must say, I'm enjoying this a ton more than I expected.

Playing on Uber, seems to give me a challenge, but not too hard that it's not enjoyable

Is anyone else having issues by the way that the Steam side of the game will crash if disconnected from Steam while playing? I lose the overlay completely.

antitrop

I love being pleasantly surprised by games and I'm sure to be talking up the game to any fool who will listen to me. I get the feeling it's a bit off the radar for some people.

The last game this happened to me with was Spec Ops: The Line. Just one of those games where you feel like you have to tell everyone: "THIS GAME IS AWESOME! PLEASE, PLAY IT".

derFeef

Only played a little before I went to sleep, but I am already liking it so far. I love that you have choice how you approach the map and they do not give you hints about the possibilities. Also dat shooting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not one to ever do something like this, but I am definitely trying to get my friends to check this out. Don't really know if it's the kind of game they'd be into but dual wielding gibs everywhere have a certain usefulness for convincing.

Could you confirm that the PS3 version of the game has sound problems?
I mean gunfire seems really too low. :(

That's every version, sound mix is super wacky. For games I typically have my tv around 19-20 on the volume but I have it at 31 here.

JayEH

Were you happy with the ending? Just curious, I'm half way through the game and I'm loving the story and atmosphere.

Yep. Thought it was great. Going to take a break from the game a bit then try the Wyatt Timeline and see the changes there.

Snowballo

I'm not one to ever do something like this, but I am definitely trying to get my friends to check this out. Don't really know if it's the kind of game they'd be into but dual wielding gibs everywhere have a certain usefulness for convincing.

That's every version, sound mix is super wacky. For games I typically have my tv around 19-20 on the volume but I have it at 31 here.

Yes that's a pity.
Are they going to patch it?
With low sound values the gunplay seems weak too.

Yeah, just cranking up the volume seems to alleviate at least some of the sound problems.

I've been playing for about three hours last night and I think it's very good. It's not pushing any boundaries in terms of overall gameplay design. But (on a smaller level) the gunplay is... incredible. Especially the feedback on the enemies. Shame the sounds on the weapons are just a little off somehow, (though the assault rifles sound good).

The writing and direction of the cutscenes surprised me as well. It's been a while since a game had some I didn't want to skip. Hadn't expected BJ to be an interesting character, but his anguish is very believable without making him seem overly morose. It's a good balance.

Hope it keeps up this level of quality.

Dr Dogg

The last game this happened to me with was Spec Ops: The Line. Just one of those games where you feel like you have to tell everyone: "THIS GAME IS AWESOME! PLEASE, PLAY IT".

Hahaha creating a Spec Ops LTTP thread was like throwing up the antitrop signal :p

I get the feeling Wolf: TNO is going to get the same treatment but with a whole lot of others championing the game.

Snowballo

Does it work? Could you try it please?
It should go on every platform...

How to fix Wolfenstein: The New Order's Audio Issues (PS4)

Very minor spoiler concerning some of the alternat history, but i loved reading the news clipping about
The Beatles, and how in alternate era Germany, The Beatles are getting their own TV show. I.e, living under the Nazis is so lame, that the Beatles are essentially the Monkees now
:lol:

eastx

cool thanks.

stopped watching after he explained what to do as he went off on what appears to be an 8 min rant.

YAWN

To save people the trouble of having to watch the video, here's the Playstation 4 audio fix:
  • Change sound settings (audio output)
  • On Playstation 4, make sure it's LPCM
  • Go to Primary output port, change to Digital Out, and select every option
  • The idea is you want sound coming through specifically as Dolby Digital and not another format?
Anybody got time to work out the steps for Xbox One? I'm away from home so I can't manually check for a few hours.

My PC isn't even powerful enough for this game to have consistent fps on low graphics settings, but I still enjoy the fucking crap out of it. Holy cow, everything has been awesome thus far (I'm in chapter 6), except for the plane part of the prologue chapter, which felt kinda meh.
But the game steps on the pedal pretty hard and doesn't let go of it after that.

Also I love the
Wolfenstein 3D nightmare
sequence. The censored textures in the German version made this even better.

Top Bottom