• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

The moment between Anya and B.J. at the start of Chapter
is amazing. I've never seen a more natural, convincing
expression of love between two video game characters
. The delivery of the dialogue, the facial expressions, the timing - everything is spot-on. Never expected this from a Wolfenstein game.

Polygon even wrote an article about it.

seph1roth

The moment between Anya and B.J. at the start of Chapter
is amazing. I've never seen a more natural, convincing
expression of love between two video game characters
. The delivery of the dialogue, the facial expressions, the timing - everything is spot-on. Never expected this from a Wolfenstein game.

That's true, one thing i must admit about the game are the expressions and how natural are them.

For example, in heavy rain or BEYOND at some points, the "uncanny valley" in the expressions of the characters is enormous, but in Wolfenstein every moment all the characters are part of the scenario, not an animated random mannequin inserted there digitally.

Is difficult to explain, sorry, and my english doesn't help.

zorbsie

S¡mon;112972867 said:
Question about the level which takes place in
on the moon

I just arrived there,
and one of the first things I had to do was grab my luggage. I did that and now the next objective is to find a spacesuit... but I've got no idea where to go. I cut the chain in the room where I got my luggage (but I couldn't pull the handle) and I killed the soldiers in 'waiting' rom.

Where can I find my spacesuit?

I'm assuming you're stuck in that room.
Use the laser cutter on the metal wall below the glass. That will give you access to the button that controls the door. After that just follow your map

Andrew.

Banned
Do you ever find regular grenades in 1960 or are they all those
electric/EMP
ones?

The perk for destroying five mechanical enemies with grenades doesnt seem to count with them, unless the robo dogs dont count towards it. I thought I had found the perfect spot to grind it out with a sleeping pooch but nothing was registering.

I finished the game on Uber and running and gunning in the Doom fashion was not viable for me (Nightmare would be less frustrating for me to play honestly). Whether that's my skill level getting in the way or not remains to be seen.
You're tempting me to put up a running and gunning (possibly dual wield no ADS) playthrough but I don't have a strong enough PC to record on 60fps :p

Will have to keep that challenge in mind once I finish the game.

zorbsie

Do you ever find regular grenades in 1960 or are they all those
electric/EMP
ones?

The perk for destroying five mechanical enemies with grenades doesnt seem to count with them, unless the robo dogs dont count towards it. I thought I had found the perfect spot to grind it out with a sleeping pooch but nothing was registering.

I don't think they count. Neither do the mechanized soldiers. I had the same issue. A good place to grind it out
is end of chapter 3. There are 2 robots there and the checkpoint is right before fighting them.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't think they count. Neither do the mechanized soldiers. I had the same issue. A good place to grind it out
is end of chapter 3. There are 2 robots there and the checkpoint is right before fighting them.

Yeah I was there last night and trying it out but all the
elec naders
seemed to do to them was freeze them in place.

To save people the trouble of having to watch the video, here's the Playstation 4 audio fix:
  • Change sound settings (audio output)
  • On Playstation 4, make sure it's LPCM
  • Go to Primary output port, change to Digital Out, and select every option
  • The idea is you want sound coming through specifically as Dolby Digital and not another format?
Anybody got time to work out the steps for Xbox One? I'm away from home so I can't manually check for a few hours.

Isn't it awful that everyone is making videos for everything these days.

"Hi Everyone, I'm Rodney Rayfold and today in association with Doritos and chunky chickens I am going to show you how to change your display resolution"

For fucks sake just write it down.

sjay1994

I can't do the LKW challenge of firing it fully charged without missing.

I'm on
the moon
atm, and I have been trying to do it, but I keep getting emp'd.

This thing seems like it should have a charge shot or something :/

Caja 117

Really Surprised at this game, this is not just another Military FPS, and after reading here about going on with not using ADS, it makes the game even more entertaining! Thank you GAF

I have to say, this game really starts looking beautiful at points. Some really nice attention to detail and surprisingly crisp textures considering the engine limitations.

As I understand it, idtech 5's megatextures means that varied surfaces are less of an issue (one big texture rather than repeating smaller ones). So there are some benefits of the engine.

Footos22

I can't do the LKW challenge of firing it fully charged without missing.

I'm on
the moon
atm, and I have been trying to do it, but I keep getting emp'd.

This thing seems like it should have a charge shot or something :/

I did it first time on one of the robots in
Helicopter hangar
Just get right up in there face and unload

milena87

upgrade your internet, it's worth the money

I would pay even 60€ a month for a good connection. The problem is that nobody invested a dime in this area in years.

But I have an appointment today after work with Telecom Italia, to check if what they claim is actually true and I can now have access to something better.

Anyway, I'm tempted to check some videos about the game, but I'm trying to not spoil too much :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thanks, will try as soon as I get home

do you know why? was it a mistake or is today the official release somwhere?

No mistake, Bethesda just changed its mind. Still no luck for Austria*, though.

* Israel and Japan are also excluded, but the game isn't available in the former at all and it doesn't release in the latter for another couple of weeks. If nothing else I suspect the game's general status will change once Japan gets the game.

Melchiah

I have to say, this game really starts looking beautiful at points. Some really nice attention to detail and surprisingly crisp textures considering the engine limitations.

That looks pretty good, and somehow reminds me of the captures from Zombie U on the screenshot thread. I think I'm going to get the game today, now that the worst of the flu has passed.

Question about a character in the hideout
Who is the guitar player named J suppose to be? I've heard he's a secret easter egg, but I dont know why. Is he suppose to be Jimmy Hendrix?

matmanx1

I just popped in to this thread to say that so far I am very impressed with Wolfenstein. I'm having a lot of fun and the great soundtrack and fantastic characters are really helping to sell the story for me.

Nice job, MachineGames!

Marcel

You're tempting me to put up a running and gunning (possibly dual wield no ADS) playthrough but I don't have a strong enough PC to record on 60fps :p

Will have to keep that challenge in mind once I finish the game.

I couldn't hack something like that with those Ubersoldat Shotgunners and so forth. Too spongey for my taste.

To save people the trouble of having to watch the video, here's the Playstation 4 audio fix:
  • The idea is you want sound coming through specifically as Dolby Digital and not another format?
Anybody got time to work out the steps for Xbox One? I'm away from home so I can't manually check for a few hours.

So I have two options, hdmi or optical. He seems to want us to switch optical (digital out). Once I do that, even with all boxes ticked (which they were anyway), it outputs everything in stereo not multichannel.

Not even close to being a fix.

After some performance issues early on, having an absolute blast with this on PC. Classic running and gunning kicks the shit out of "take cover to regenerate health" any day.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think I'm at the end now since
everything is burning
. and I have to say that this game absolutely amazing and the best shooter right now. I didn't got so much fun with a first person shooter since ages, it really remind me of the old times with running and gunning everything but it is also modern and actually got a nice story going. I just love these kinda open non completely liner lever where you can run circles on nazies and have creative ways to gun them, the health system add to the fun and also the crazy gun.

Other games in this genre really need to learn a thing or two from this and how to make the player have fun not follow scripted slow based crap, MachineGames just made an awesome game and other fps devs should let us have fun as well. and if this game fail at sales, Bethesda should blame themselves for not hyping it well enough to the press.

Marcel

everything is burning
. and I have to say that this game absolutely amazing and the best shooter right now. I didn't got so much fun with a first person shooter since ages, it really remind me of the old times with running and gunning everything but it is also modern and actually got a nice story going. I just love these kinda open non completely liner lever where you can run circles on nazies and have creative ways to gun them, the health system add to the fun and also the crazy gun.

Other games in this genre really need to learn a thing or two from this and how to make the player have fun not follow scripted slow based crap, MachineGames just made an awesome game and other fps devs should let us have fun as well. and if this game fail as sales, Bethesda should blame themselves for not hyping it well enough to the press.

They should blame themselves for rebooting Wolfenstein, what, three times now? Franchise fatigue is a real thing.

rSpooky

They should blame themselves for rebooting Wolfenstein, what, three times now? Franchise fatigue is a real thing.

As opposed to a COD every year?Or a madden or a NFS etc??? I think the name wolfenstein is not the cause if it does bad.
Really I have been telling all my friends who are on the fence, because most of them are all about waiting till pricedrops etc, because watchdogs etc. and I tell them check it out , it is worth your money . (if you like FPS SP campaigns off course)

Andrew.

Banned
everything is burning

Other games in this genre really need to learn a thing or two from this and how to make the player have fun not follow scripted slow based crap, MachineGames just made an awesome game and other fps devs should let us have fun as well. and if this game fail at sales, Bethesda should blame themselves for not hyping it well enough to the press.

Sounds like this is the first game you've truly enjoyed since Yakuza and Folklore.

I'm shocked.

S¡mon

Banned
I'm assuming you're stuck in that room.
Use the laser cutter on the metal wall below the glass. That will give you access to the button that controls the door. After that just follow your map
Yup, thanks, can't believe I missed that.

Marcel

As opposed to a COD every year?Or a madden or a NFS etc??? I think the name wolfenstein is not the cause if it does bad.
Really I have been telling all my friends who are on the fence, because most of them are all about waiting till pricedrops etc, because watchdogs etc. and I tell them check it out , it is worth your money . (if you like FPS SP campaigns off course)

It's not exclusive to Wolfenstein and I never said it was. Some people are not into Wolfenstein clearly (judging from the anemic sales of Raven's Wolfenstein 2009) and their constant attempts to retool may ultimately deprive the series of any identity (if they decide to reboot again if TNO sales don't meet projections). I like TNO for what it is but it is not without problems.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Next stop for Machinegames, a singularity sequel.

Pretty please?

Bethesda own Machingames and these two IPs belong to other publishers. (Epic and Activision)

now... Quake or Doom by Machinegames will be fantastic.

This is the first Wolfenstein game under Bethesda.

franchise fatigue? wut? last one we got (before this) was in 2009. so yeah, no. but the marketing and push for this game is poor.

Raptor

What about those with Headset?

Everything stays. Make sure to not start a new game. Instead go to chapter select, pick chapter 1 and the difficulty level and you're good to go.

Like Bayonetta, you don't need to start over just select chapter and change difficulty?

One big ass save right?

Thats sounds great to me.

Marcel

Bethesda own Machingames and these two IPs belong to other publishers. (Epic and Activision)

now... Quake or Doom by Machinegames will be fantastic.

This is the first Wolfenstein game under Bethesda.

franchise fatigue? wut? last one we got (before this) was in 2009. so yeah, no. but the marketing and push for this game is poor.

I saw at least a few commercials for it during an episode of FX's Fargo and on a few of the big networks. It has at least a decent marketing budget, moreso than Raven Software's Wolfenstein which I saw absolutely nothing for.

Marcel

Regarding sales, there were already 80,000 leaderboard positions on PS4 last night.

Raven's Wolfenstein barely cracked 100k across all platforms IIRC so that's at least better though not amazing for a franchise reboot.

Next I'll hear Doom is showing franchise fatigue..

I'm sick of Id's new Doom games so yeah, it has fatigue to me. I love the old games and Doom 3 and BFG Edition can suck an egg.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I saw at least a few commercials for it during an episode of FX's Fargo and on a few of the big networks. It has at least decent marketing, moreso than Raven Software's Wolfenstein which I saw absolutely nothing for.

Here's an accurate representation of Wolf09's marketing budget:

BBsU7It.jpg

I'd guess that Acti simply didn't see sense in investing more than necessary in a game that it'd only be able to publish for ~2.5 years.

Chitown B

No MP for this games is just stupid. it would make an oldfashion Shooter which a lot of people would love ;)

what? Proofread before posting.

But as for no MP, I love it. I'm tired of tacked on MP that no one plays and eventually gets shut down anyway. The previous Wolf's MP wasn't that bad actually but the only people who play it are achievement hunters and even that is tedious.

Marcel

I started seeing commercials for this yesterday or the day before. Believe it was during the NBA/NHL playoff games.

Getting airtime during a sports event ain't cheap. Bethesda clearly wants the game to succeed from a marketing standpoint. It's up to the consumer to decide if they want classic-style shooter with all the ups and downs that implies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I absolutely need this game to sell well enough for MachineGames to make another game. I need to see what they can do next.

Yup. and I want to see them making game with actually a good engine instead of Carmack's joke engine (their sister studio Arkane moved to Cryengine). there are some amazing looking levels but you can feel that the engine was holding them back.

I started seeing commercials for this yesterday or the day before. Believe it was during the NBA/NHL playoff games.

huh, interesting, maybe there is hope on Bethesda marketing this right after all.

zorbsie

Like Bayonetta, you don't need to start over just select chapter and change difficulty?

One big ass save right?

Thats sounds great to me.

That's how it works. You'll get a warning that your current checkpoint will be lost when you start via chapter select. But all you're perks/collectibles/weapon upgrades are still unlocked. Even the maps you picked up are unlocked from the start of the level. No need to find those again. Some of the weapon unlocks are story related so they won't be unlocked right away.

Yeah I was there last night and trying it out but all the
elec naders
seemed to do to them was freeze them in place.

Here is how I handled it
Use the heavy weapons like the turrets to whittle away the armor. This might take a couple of retrys. The first time I did it, I killed them. lol. Next throw a nade at one. It will freeze in place. Run around to it's back side and aim for the yellow circle on it's back. Throw the rest of the nades you have there. It goes without saying save your nades til this fight. You should have 5. Also there is 3 more in the building that had the commander in it and 2 more under the one turret structure. I also found dumping it down to the easiest difficulty helped this one.
Hope that helps.

Top Bottom