• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

derFeef

Bethesda own Machingames and these two IPs belong to other publishers. (Epic and Activision)

now... Quake or Doom by Machinegames will be fantastic.

Oh I know, it was just a thought [dream] I had.
I hope it sells, love all those nordic game developers.

I played a bit of the 2009 game before this released. Personally, I thought it was incredibly average, and got bored after a few hours. Doesn't help that it saddles you with a bunch of boring, generic weapons for ages, while TNO has you dual wielding assault rifles and taking out mooks with detached turret guns in the first hour.

Andrew.

Banned
Here is how I handled it
Use the heavy weapons like the turrets to whittle away the armor. This might take a couple of retrys. The first time I did it, I killed them. lol. Next throw a nade at one. It will freeze in place. Run around to it's back side and aim for the yellow circle on it's back. Throw the rest of the nades you have there. It goes without saying save your nades til this fight. You should have 5. Also there is 3 more in the building that had the commander in it and 2 more under the one turret structure. I also found dumping it down to the easiest difficulty helped this one.
Hope that helps.

Arggggh. Well Im already at Chapter 4 so hopefully there will be more opportunities, but thanks for the strategy!

I played about an hour last night, up to the
incinerator
room. Not feeling it at all so far, just really disjointed level design with lots of being funnelled through narrow hallways/trenches. I loved Wolfenstein 2009 so I'll keep on trucking through...

Marcel

I thought that RTCW, Wolf09 and TNO were on the same timeline?

Still have to play Wolf09 somehow...

They're on the same timeline? I really didn't know that, haha. So before TNO begins B.J. has already killed Ancient German Rob Zombie and destroyed all the Black Sun tech? Goddamn that man gets shit done.

Gangxxter

But as for no MP, I love it. I'm tired of tacked on MP that no one plays and eventually gets shut down anyway. The previous Wolf's MP wasn't that bad actually but the only people who play it are achievement hunters and even that is tedious.
Totally agree, I'm also tired of tacked on multiplayer. Good to see that they invested all the resources into the singleplayer.

Arkanius

They're on the same timeline? I really didn't know that, haha. So before TNO begins B.J. has already killed Ancient German Rob Zombie and destroyed all the Black Sun tech? Goddamn that man gets shit done.

RTCW I'm not sure, but Wolf 09 and TNO are the same timeline. Hell, the characters are even the same.

Birbo

Got my PS4 back on Monday, just in time to pick this up. Not very far yet, but quite enjoying it. Couple of early questions:

• Why can't I open the locked doors with the swastikas on them? Are those accessed on higher difficulty or subsequent playthroughs?
  • Is there any difference if
    I save Wyatt Or Fergus?

I'm sick of Id's new Doom games so yeah, it has fatigue to me. I love the old games and Doom 3 and BFG Edition can suck an egg.

Wait, wait... wait.

Doom 3 is "new"? It came out in August of Two Thousand and Four. You're fatigued of a franchise that released its last game nearly 10 years ago??

Wow, you hear EVERYTHING on GAF.

I can confirm that the audio is perfectly mixed when you make sure the game outputs Dolby Digital. I'm playing on PS3 using optical.

God this game is so fun. Even the lamer last-gen ports still have so many incredible details and moments of beauty. Mixed with the 60fps...I'm sold.

Arkanius

I can confirm that the audio is perfectly mixed when you make sure the game outputs Dolby Digital. I'm playing on PS3 using optical.

God this game is so fun. Even the lamer last-gen ports still have so many incredible details and moments of beauty. Mixed with the 60fps...I'm sold.

How do you do that on the PC?
You can't I think. (I have an X-Fi Titanium and I'm not using SPDIF)

How do you do that on the PC?
You can't I think. (I have an X-Fi Titanium and I'm not using SPDIF)

There might be a way to output Dolby Digital at the game level. Maybe in the Audio options or in an ini file somewhere? It wouldn't help to process the mix outside of the game, unfortunately; post-conversion transcoding wouldn't fix the mix.

You can output Dolby Digital through HDMI on the consoles for the games that support the codec, so I would assume there's some way to achieve that on PC.

EDIT: I'll go into detail on my current theory: The game's DTS mix is bad. Maybe they'll patch it. Unfortunately DTS is usually the default audio codec used to create LPCM or stereo mixes.

DTS -> Speakers = bad mix
DTS -> LPCM -> speakers = bad mix (default on PC and PS4, I'm assuming)
DTS -> LPCM -> Dolby Digital -> speakers = bad mix (using a sound card to post-convert)

Really the only way to get the good mix is to start with Dolby at the game level.

Dolby Digital -> anything = good mix

Arkanius

All this Doom 3 talk is making me go buy BFG and install it.
Last time I played Doom3 was in 2004 on launch, and I loved every second of it.

(... I actually enjoyed the torchlight mechanics...)

Levyne

Banned
The last 2-3 levels of the new expansion were pretty neat. The first handful felt like a rehash of parts stitched together, which I suppose it pretty much was.

All this talk about Doom sure is making me tired. ;) I'm sure Doom 4 will be a great revival and not simply a nail in the coffin.

Well, you're right, it could already be buried. When Doom 3 came out it missed sales expectations by millions, and is probably why we've yet to see a Doom 4. If Wolf misses expectations, then perhaps we never see Doom 4 at all. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I could use a nap too.

GMG the cheapest for this still?

It's that good guys, right? I'm trusting you.

The shooting and stealth mechanics are rad and fun as hell. The story's surprisingly good, no qualifiers on that. It's just a damn great game. It's technically undercooked a bit though.

I'm 100% happy that I pulled the trigger. Now I'm working, wondering when I can play it again. It's been years since I've felt that.

DukeBobby

Just started chapter 12, hopefully I can finish this tonight.

After suffering through Killzone: Shadow Fall's excruciatingly dull campaign, this is a breath of fresh air. I'm loving every minute of this.

Lulubop

I can't possibly imagine you being disappointed with your purchase. This is one of the best SP shooter campaigns ever built.

The shooting and stealth mechanics are rad and fun as hell. The story's surprisingly good, no qualifiers on that. It's just a damn great game. It's technically undercooked a bit though.

I'm 100% happy that I pulled the trigger. Now I'm working, wondering when I can play it again. It's been years since I've felt that.

And done.

Duxxy3

OK, I changed my audio setting on my XB1 to optical (turned off hdmi), and then used dolby digital. So far it sounds like the audio is fixed (positional and everything else).

I can not believe that they did not test the audio in the default settings. Just unbelievable.

edit: going through my receiver, and into my headphones

lol, yep

Don't forget he recovered the Spear that did-in JC as well

How does the 360 version fare? It's currently my only choice of playing it.

It runs great on the PS3, though there are a few parts that don't look so hot (textures or geometry issues). It's uneven, but overall a very solid cross-gen game.

RAGE was better on the 360 than the PS3 according to Digital Foundry, so I would assume that the 360 version is just fine.

Sliver

This game looks like absolute shit to the point where it's almost unplayable (on PS3). Seriously, the textures take forever to pop in and some even don't, it looks worse than a PS2 game whenever I run and gun. I died when placing C4 on a wall because it looked so fucking bad I couldn't believe it.

Thank god I rented this.

This game looks like absolute shit to the point where it's almost unplayable (on PS3). Seriously, the textures take forever to pop in and some even don't, it looks worse than a PS2 game whenever I run and gun. I died when placing C4 on a wall because it looked so fucking bad I couldn't believe it.

Thank god I rented this.

It really doesn't, no. There are a few parts early on that aren't so hot, but by the time you've played past a half-hour, the game's visuals are much more consistent.

antitrop

I previously said the game would have "bad graphics", but I really love the way this game looks on PC. The destructible environments add so much satisfaction to the mayhem you create. The game has a great art design and everything generally looks satisfactory as long as you don't stand still.

Jito

Banned

Thank god I rented this.

Time to join the current generation then maybe? Can't blame the game when you're playing on old hardware. Looks great on PC.

Top Bottom