• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Lima

For the uber trophy do you have to start a new game or can you just chaper select the beginning and play though with perks?

You can use chapter select and play through all chapters again or if you just want the trophy play through just chapter 16 again on uber to unlock it.

Just got the game today and I am pleasantly surprised. Great game so far, not too far in but everything has the Wolfenstein feel. Characters seem solid and so is the gunplay, I would tend to agree in some ways that some of the sounds are maybe a little lackluster but I will reserve that judgement till I get my hands on meatier weapons.

Lynux

How the hell do I kill
Deathshead, he has the rechargeable shield and I don't know what to do.

edit: nvm figured it out

Unit24

I was led to believe that the game turned to shit in the second half.

That is not the case.

I really don't know how anybody got that idea.

Honestly I'm more upset about the middle of the game. Things really slow down after chapter, and I find that somewhat disappointing. It's like they thought the player would be feeling combat fatigue after so much action, so they figured it was time for something more slow, scripted, and low key. But really, I just wanted more action.

At the very least, I wish all of the chapters were longer. They tried really hard to put a lot of variety into the game and ensure you'd never be doing one thing for too long, but I think a bit of padding would have actually been nice (aside from the dumb fetch missions). Sometimes I like what I'm currently doing in the game and don't want it to change into something else after like 20-30 minutes.

Is the audio mix super fucked up or is it me doing something wrong with my PS4 settings. I'm running HDMI to the tv and from there optical out to a set of stereo monitors.

Everything is super muted, and it's hard to hear dialogue more often then not.

eshwaaz

Is the audio mix super fucked up or is it me doing something wrong with my PS4 settings. I'm running HDMI to the tv and from there optical out to a set of stereo monitors.

It's been one of the few consistent complaints in this thread - the audio mix is really bad. A page or so ago someone posted a "fix" for PS4, but I've not been able to try it myself. I think it was just forcing the PS4 to output only in Dolby Digital instead of DTS.

MrS

Banned
You can use chapter select and play through all chapters again or if you just want the trophy play through just chapter 16 again on uber to unlock it.

weebey.gif

Did not know this, thanks for the heads up

SkylineRKR

I really don't know how anybody got that idea.

Honestly I'm more upset about the middle of the game. Things really slow down after chapter, and I find that somewhat disappointing. It's like they thought the player would be feeling combat fatigue after so much action, so they figured it was time for something more slow, scripted, and low key. But really, I just wanted more action.

At the very least, I wish all of the chapters were longer. They tried really hard to put a lot of variety into the game and ensure you'd never be doing one thing for too long, but I think a bit of padding would have actually been nice (aside from the dumb fetch missions). Sometimes I like what I'm currently doing in the game and don't want it to change into something else after like 20-30 minutes.

Middle part was the low point for me. But I thought Chapter 8 was utter shit. I agree on the game not jumping the shark as some said. I enjoy most parts of the second half, especially with the upgraded weapons and all.

Yeah thanks, that would be cool.

Here they are (Beware of chapter 5 easter egg spoilers!)

http://i.minus.com/iNHoPk6BqpLNx.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i2e1lGtEWo77L.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i3yB6u6pvGPpn.jpg
http://i.minus.com/itErXu6FhlgLC.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibaQTjCVDsA2Ve.jpg

Also chapter 8 spoilers:
Holy fuck at Frau Engel's messed up face! Goddamn!
Facial expresseions and the like are REALLY well done in this game. Sadly the German voice overs aren't perfectly lip synced to those animations, yet I can easily make out what the characters would be saying in English. Pretty awesome.

Also as someone said way earlier in this thread:
I too get a Half-Life 2 and Bioshock vibe from the game.
It has Half-Life 2's "public resistance" theme with Bioshock's "What if" kind of world. Really really awesome. I love it.

OMG Chapter 6

The shootout in the hanger was AMAZING. Upgrading the LASERKRAFTWERK then going HAM on those robots....SO GOOD. You can also sprint-jump between the helicopter platforms when you get flanked and/or just want to be crazy which is incredibly satisfying.

Then BJ drops the mic:
"Nazis dead. Nazi robots dead. Broke all your shit. Helicopters secured."

THIS GAME

If I go to replay levels can I do it with all of my perks and weapons? I do not like having to recollect all of my guns every level so far. Would like to know for replay purposes.

SkylineRKR

OMG Chapter 6

The shootout in the hanger was AMAZING. Upgrading the LASERKRAFTWERK then going HAM on those robots....SO GOOD. You can also sprint-jump between the helicopter platforms when you get flanked and/or just want to be crazy which is incredibly satisfying.

Then BJ drops the mic:
"Nazis dead. Nazi robots dead. Broke all your shit. Helicopters secured."

THIS GAME

That was the hardest part of the game for me on DI. Maybe I used the LKW wrong, but it took me ages with it. Was almost out of ammo when
the big ass robot appeared.

His speech was excellent, I agree.

While I really wanted to get the game on PC; My PC didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Purchased for PS4; due to this thread's positive impressions and my interest in the game. Can't wait to try it out.

It's been one of the few consistent complaints in this thread - the audio mix is really bad. A page or so ago someone posted a "fix" for PS4, but I've not been able to try it myself. I think it was just forcing the PS4 to output only in Dolby Digital instead of DTS.

Yeah, just force your system to output Dolby Digital at the game level to make the sound mix normal again. Go into your system's audio options, bitstream the audio and deselect all codecs except for Dolby Digital.

I've confirmed this on the PS3, and another poster confirmed this on the Xbox One. Hopefully the sound gets patched, because it sounds great once you do this.

This thread lied, uber mode is tough as shit.

I think a lot of people saying "uber is easy" are playing with keyboard and mouse.

Duxxy3

Works for Xbox one, probably works for ps4. Not testing default sound is ridiculous.

That was the hardest part of the game for me on DI. Maybe I used the LKW wrong, but it took me ages with it. Was almost out of ammo when
the big ass robot appeared.

Funny enough the hardest part for me so far wasn't that, but the earlier section in chapter 6
where you set off the alarms and are put against like 30 guys after the explosion. I was actually making it harder on myself by trying to hold down that little room with the safe in it rather than moving around. Once I got my ass outta there I realized there were a bunch of little side rooms with ammo and items in them as well as the sniper rifle on the bottom floor and a turret in the room on the top.

As for the robots, the trick is simply to get behind them. Use a grenade to stun then pour rounds into their backs. If you have no grenades, just keep trying to outmaneuver and get shots where you can. Shooting them head on is a quick way to waste ammo. There's also a LKW recharging terminal if you didn't see that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone got tips for how to deal with the big armored Nazi's that carry turrets? I'm facing off against a bunch of them in Chapter 9 and the LKW runs out of ammo too much to be effective.

I think a lot of people saying "uber is easy" are playing with keyboard and mouse.

I'm playing with a keyboard and mouse! I guess I just suck.

How far are you? I'm playing Uber on PS4 and so far it's been pretty easy (chapter 6).

I'm at the part where
Wyatt/Fergus needs to hotwire a car. The corridor right before that area with the two shotgun guards is a pain in the ass.

DukeBobby

This might actually be my favourite game of the year so far.

I played Dark Souls 2 non-stop for days, but I wasn't having as much fun as I am with this game.

This might actually be my favourite game of the year so far.

I played Dark Souls 2 non-stop for days, but I wasn't having as much fun as I am with this game.

Yup, it's far, far better than I expected and I had high hopes. It's one of the best shooters I've played in ages.

SkylineRKR

Anyone got tips for how to deal with the big armored Nazi's that carry turrets? I'm facing off against a bunch of them in Chapter 9 and the LKW runs out of ammo too much to be effective.

The things that hang at the ceiling can be cut.

Better yet,

What I did was actually crush one of the robots with such a thing.

Darn, DS4 is not playing nice with this on PC, automatically inputs buttons, not good, have to use DS3, ugh.

Anyone else?

edit: ok just updated to 1.2.2 and seems to be working now.

Tokubetsu

There might be a way to output Dolby Digital at the game level. Maybe in the Audio options or in an ini file somewhere? It wouldn't help to process the mix outside of the game, unfortunately; post-conversion transcoding wouldn't fix the mix.

You can output Dolby Digital through HDMI on the consoles for the games that support the codec, so I would assume there's some way to achieve that on PC.

EDIT: I'll go into detail on my current theory: The game's DTS mix is bad. Maybe they'll patch it. Unfortunately DTS is usually the default audio codec used to create LPCM or stereo mixes.

DTS -> Speakers = bad mix
DTS -> LPCM -> speakers = bad mix (default on PC and PS4, I'm assuming)
DTS -> LPCM -> Dolby Digital -> speakers = bad mix (using a sound card to post-convert)

Really the only way to get the good mix is to start with Dolby at the game level.

Dolby Digital -> anything = good mix

I'm using a xonar soundcard, spdif. Game sounds fine right now (still early game) with it set to 6 channels downmixed to stereo. PCM.

I'm using a xonar soundcard, spdif. Game sounds fine right now (still early game) with it set to 6 channels downmixed to stereo. PCM.

Some people might be having a worse-off sound mix than others. In my case, I was getting weird issues with character voices and screen placement - I didn't get any of the main character's inner monolguing for example. Other people report way bigger issues.

Got to the train part. Totally enjoying it, sure does nothing new and had to tweak some stuff on PC to get it to run proper. But it's a solid shooter with nice environments to explore, secrets to find and solid shooting. It's dumb fun and I look forward to what Machinegames does next.

DukeBobby

Got to the train part. Totally enjoying it, sure does nothing new and had to tweak some stuff on PC to get it to run proper. But it's a solid shooter with nice environments to explore, secrets to find and solid shooting. It's dumb fun and I look forward to what Machinegames does next.

It's dumb fun, but it's far less dumb than most shooters out there.

So, haven't been to this thread yet but goddamn, this soundtrack man, I'm fucking in love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY So many great tracks. Loved that they stayed away from what most big games do now, you know, the kind of hollywood like soundtracks, orchestral and stuff. Nothing against that but it gets tiring and this soundtrack fits like a glove for what I consider somewhat a return to form for the FPS genre.

And am I the only one that loved most of Blazkowicz monologues? I thought some parts of this game were pretty well written honestly lol (even with all the absurd stuff).

Tokubetsu

Some people might be having a worse-off sound mix than others. In my case, I was getting weird issues with character voices and screen placement - I didn't get any of the main character's inner monolguing for example. Other people report way bigger issues.

Yeah, just a general heads up though. A lot of times, and for whatever reason, audio mixes of console ports on PC can be fubar'd. In the sense that instead of downmixing to stereo they'll just element channels instead.

Dark Souls 1 for a long time had an issue where if you were set to stereo in your soundcard/windows you were missing most of the ambient sounds etc. Alan Wake had a similar issue where if you were set for stereo, the cutscenes would be in mono. They patched DS, not sure if they did Alan Wake but the "fix" around this was to just set your soundcard or windows to 6 or 8 channels (5.1 or 7.1 essentially) but set the output to 2 speakers (or headphones and the like).

TedNindo

This game is a lot better than expected. At-least on PC is plays really well.
Great production values and a lot of fast fun. Faster than most shooters out there.

It doesn't feel like call of duty to me at all. I don't know what Brad was on about during the quicklook. Maybe the PC version is just a lot better?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How far am I if I'm on the London Monitor bossfight?

I want to know if I should just uninstall this garbage now or slog onward.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The things that hang at the ceiling can be cut.

Better yet,

What I did was actually crush one of the robots with such a thing.
Maybe I'm in a different part

Not robots, giant Nazis. I'm trying to capture the train after coming out of the sewer swim.

finalexit

This game is a lot better than expected. At-least on PC is plays really well.
Great production values and a lot of fast fun. Faster than most shooters out there.

It doesn't feel like call of duty to me at all. I don't know what Brad was on about during the quicklook. Maybe the PC version is just a lot better?

I don't think Brad realized you don't need to use ADS for increased accuracy. I noticed he kept aiming down the sights even when guys were right on top of him.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How far am I if I'm on the London Monitor bossfight?

I want to know if I should just uninstall this garbage now or slog onward.
Chapter 6 of 16.

I kind of know how you feel, and I am just starting that chapter, but I've been very thorough trying to get enigma pieces. It may liven up now that I don't care about any of that. Still, when I move forward and it has all this narrative stuff with characters I have to follow... Well, I've never liked that in any game ever.

Top Bottom