• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
And finished.

Loved it. What a great fucking game. One of my favourite badass moments of the whole game was near the very end

NEAR END GAME SPOILERS

When you get ambushed by Freu Engels sidekick Bubi who injects you with something that's supposed to immobilise the body. He starts boasting to Freu Engel over a video monitor about how he's got you etc and how he'll cut you open for her. She starts squealing and when he goes to stab you you bite his ear and stand up.

He's scared shitless and is like "How! What! Why are you moving ? You brain is fucked!" Your camera pans down and you see a knife sticking out of your body and you remove it. You then proceed to stick Bubi in the throat and head with the knife whilst Freu Engel rages.

Fucking mint. Take that.

eXistor

And finished.

Loved it. What a great fucking game. One of my favourite badass moments of the whole game was near the very end

NEAR END GAME SPOILERS

When you get ambushed by Freu Engels sidekick Bubi who injects you with something that's supposed to immobilise the body. He starts boasting to Freu Engel over a video monitor about how he's got you etc and how he'll cut you open for her. She starts squealing and when he goes to stab you you bite his ear and stand up.

He's scared shitless and is like "How! What! Why are you moving ? You brain is fucked!" Your camera pans down and you see a knife sticking out of your body and you remove it. You then proceed to stick Bubi in the throat and head with the knife whilst Freu Engel rages.

Fucking mint. Take that.

About the spoiler:
I actually wanted to just walk away from it and not kill Bubi (I'll die not knowing his actual name) and I did. The game didn't do anything to stop me, which I like, but there was also no resolution, you just walk away, no extra dialogue, nothing. It just hangs out there in the open. Machine Games simply didn't expect anyone to not kill him like I did. Sloppy.

The ending song - I like it a lot.

That was actually really good. I was genuinely surprised that the story was done pretty well, no knowing winks to the audience, no silly jokes, no dumb characters. For a FPS they've done a good job.

Some issues with enemies flying accross the room whilst shooting at them as if the game had forgotten where to put them and some invisible hand picks them up and moves them. And some issues with turning quickly and some of the game doesn't load quite fast enough even though my PC played it pretty easily.

All in all pretty good. Colour me surprised.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just arrived at Chapter 10. Game rocks. Chapter 8 could be modified to be AWESOME experience for VR.

Also I liked how well
sex
scene was portrayed in Chapter 9.

DocSeuss

For a FPS they've done a good job.

Statements like these bug me a bit, because FPSes have gone toe-to-toe with, and even exceeded, any storytelling heavyweight genre you can think of. There are more FPSes with good storytelling out there than any other genre.

Just arrived at Chapter 10. Game rocks. Chapter 8 could be modified to be AWESOME experience for VR.

Also I liked how well
sex
scene was portrayed in Chapter 9.

Which one was 8 again?

Also: that spoiler? You can do that a couple times, if you
use the bed. Actually, just use both beds in the base, every time you go back to that level. You'll get extra health n' stuff.

AHA-Lambda

At chapter 13 now, that last level was a pain tbh. Awkward layout and just filled with too many bullet spongey enemies. Only really bad level I've felt so far outside of the hideout guff.

Still really enjoying the game though :)

Oh my god. The dual auto shotguns. Oh mein gott. Obliteratign a hallway of Nazi scum with the fire button held down, its just...its glorious. How anyone could consider this a 'slog' is beyond me. You must be utterly joyless people. This is one of the best FPSes ive ever played.

MattyG

Banned
And finished.

NEAR END GAME SPOILERS

Fucking mint. Take that.
Between that, the multiple times BJ is stabbed (like in the concentration camp) and the way he just gets up in the asylum and starts killing like nothing ever happened, I expected there to be some special power BJ had that made him invincible. Bubi specifically pointing out that the tranquilizer was enough to knock out an elephant made it seem like there was going to be some twist about BJ having some supernatural strength or something. Or maybe I just read too much into it.

DukeBobby

At chapter 13 now, that last level was a pain tbh. Awkward layout and just filled with too many bullet spongey enemies. Only really bad level I've felt so far outside of the hideout guff.

Still really enjoying the game though :)

I loved that mission. I picked off most enemies from afar with the Marksmen rifle, and blew the armored guys to smithereens up close.

There's so many different vantage points. It's one of the best designed missions in the game, in my opinion.

Tigress

Ha, so earlier in this thread I was saying normal felt easy to me... yeah, going to have to eat my words. I managed to get through the end part of one chapter last night and then got stuck on the next chapter (I'm still early in the game).

But... it's not that surprising, I suck at FPS. But man... I guess the intro level part and most of the mental patient hospital level was easy but now it's telling me I should have not said anything...

(and shush you people saying play at Uber level. I suck at FPS's, I already know that!).

Levyne

Banned
Random, but just in case anyone was curious about what the current Steam Tags are for this one, like I was.

RfdOVpm.png

Chapter 8, brehs.

There's no way any fan of Riddick/Darkness era Starbreeze won't like this game. Everything so far has been the continuation of that style from pacing to voice acting. Even things like the abrupt jump to cutscenes, and character names on screen when you look at people reminds me of that era.

Chapter 4, I have a glitched auto-shotgun soldier who wont die and won't attack me.
Any way to kill him? Anyone else had this problem? Playing on Uber, he's the last enemy and I don't want to reload checkpoint

DukeBobby

So, haven't been to this thread yet but goddamn, this soundtrack man, I'm fucking in love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY So many great tracks. Loved that they stayed away from what most big games do now, you know, the kind of hollywood like soundtracks, orchestral and stuff. Nothing against that but it gets tiring and this soundtrack fits like a glove for what I consider somewhat a return to form for the FPS genre.

Just finished the part where this song plays.

So good. If only it played for longer.

MattyG

Banned
So, haven't been to this thread yet but goddamn, this soundtrack man, I'm fucking in love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY So many great tracks. Loved that they stayed away from what most big games do now, you know, the kind of hollywood like soundtracks, orchestral and stuff. Nothing against that but it gets tiring and this soundtrack fits like a glove for what I consider somewhat a return to form for the FPS genre.

And am I the only one that loved most of Blazkowicz monologues? I thought some parts of this game were pretty well written honestly lol (even with all the absurd stuff).
Sweet Jesus, that was good. Are they going to sell the OST for this? I'd buy it in a heartbeat, if only so I could have the song that plays during the asylum cutscene.

This one

haveheart

Banned
I have the exact same system but I'm having some problems with framedrops. Can you post a screenshot of your ingame config? Or is it the default high preset?

Oh, and what drivers are you using?

gonna do that tomorrow!

I've installed the new nvidia beta drivers which are said to be optimized for wolfenstein.
for now: everything on high, vsync off, not the highest shadow resolution.

Did anyone else wonder why they didn't help BJ up after he collapsed on the ground in front of the group before the elevator? (Chapter 16).

They all just kind of step over him and went on their marry way. Was kind of awkward in my opinion.

def sim

I've only borrowed a copy of the console version from a friend, but I like what I've seen so far. I'll more than likely purchase this on PC soon enough, maybe this weekend.

MattyG

Banned
Free on Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/track/3q7BscUEUZd5lCDb3mRW1d

I want to tear off my shirt and start dual-shotgunning when listening to Prototype.
Is there a way to download it from there? I'm on my phone currently, so I can only listen to is on shuffle and connected to the internet.

Jesus, really? It's recommending Rihanna, Foster the Kids (or whatever that band is) and Lorde songs, and I used all my skips trying to get back to Wolfenstein. I just want my vidya music!

Just got my preorder today (what happened to release date delivery for prime members). Anyway u guys weren't lying about the sound mix being completely fucked and picking shit up is already a pain n the ass.

On the other hand I'm playing on I'm death incarnate and the AI is sharp but not godlike and I love the nazis aren't bullet sponges. Liking a lot about this game so far. Can't wait to have more time for this on the weekend

Facism

just finished it.

Absolutely brilliant fps. Meaty, grisly fucking gameplay in your hands. Even if the game looks sloppy like the end of a bukkake, a lot of fun is to be had here.

Chapter 8 random BJ line when
looking at Frau Engel's portrait: "Look at you. Death's apostle. So proud of yourself."

Gotta love the little things.

They must be commended on how much character they put into bj blazkowicz.

A really likeable representation when it could have easily have gone wrong or worse generic.

Frau Engel polishing her piece
ib2Gy33uIdE5Ci.gif

Commander loving those radio hits
i6Wjoab0Dossk.gif

Aww aren't you a cute little Panzerhund? Yes you are, yes you are!
isxkPTO82EIoS.gif

Fuck the Kampfhunds tho
iAHOzPTQFZQrO.gif

Fuck you Toilet Nazi
iWaC3zdKvMbBZ.gif

And fuck you Sleeping Nazi
iCXeEeQRo5NcQ.gif

psychotron

To save people the trouble of having to watch the video, here's the Playstation 4 audio fix:
  • Change sound settings (audio output)
  • On Playstation 4, make sure it's LPCM
  • Go to Primary output port, change to Digital Out, and select every option
  • The idea is you want sound coming through specifically as Dolby Digital and not another format?
Anybody got time to work out the steps for Xbox One? I'm away from home so I can't manually check for a few hours.

Am I messing this up? I get nothing from my rear speakers with this fix. It's set for linear PCM and I switched to digital, ticking all boxes.

Am I messing this up? I get nothing from my rear speakers with this fix. It's set for linear PCM and I switched to digital, ticking all boxes.

Ticking all the boxes does the exact opposite of what you want to do. That post shouldn't be quoted anymore.

Yeah, just force your system to output Dolby Digital at the game level to make the sound mix normal again. Go into your system's audio options, bitstream the audio and deselect all codecs except for Dolby Digital.

This should work over HDMI or Optical. Just make sure you apply these settings to whichever you're using.

Tokubetsu

Any audio fixes for PC? I have a Asus Xonar sound card.

I'm using a xonar soundcard, spdif. Game sounds fine right now (still early game) with it set to 6 channels downmixed to stereo. PCM.
Yeah, just a general heads up though. A lot of times, and for whatever reason, audio mixes of console ports on PC can be fubar'd. In the sense that instead of downmixing to stereo they'll just element channels instead.

Dark Souls 1 for a long time had an issue where if you were set to stereo in your soundcard/windows you were missing most of the ambient sounds etc. Alan Wake had a similar issue where if you were set for stereo, the cutscenes would be in mono. They patched DS, not sure if they did Alan Wake but the "fix" around this was to just set your soundcard or windows to 6 or 8 channels (5.1 or 7.1 essentially) but set the output to 2 speakers (or headphones and the like).

Did you try setting the (Audio Channel) to 6 or 8?

Drewfonse

God damn this game gets better in a HURRY after the relatively lackluster opening hour. Gunplay, graphics, voice acting, cutscenes.

Hot damn.

I did get nauseous while playing the first hour, but once I turned down the sensitivity, that went away. Really enjoying this, not a surprise, considering MG's pedigree.

Oh my god. The dual auto shotguns. Oh mein gott. Obliteratign a hallway of Nazi scum with the fire button held down, its just...its glorious. How anyone could consider this a 'slog' is beyond me. You must be utterly joyless people. This is one of the best FPSes ive ever played.

That hallway was a thing of beauty along with the chucking of grenades :D
iQRTQy1v9MvoQ.gif

bryanee

Just finished it, a solid 8/10 if were to attach a score.

A question for people who have also finished it

Is there any real difference between the two timelines? Or is the only real difference the switching of Fergus and Wyatt with no other worthwhile changes?

DocSeuss

Is the "Fuck you, moon" dialog
in the Wyatt timeline? I didn't hear it in Fergus', but maybe I missed it.

Concentration camp, nice slowpaced gameplay that is perfect for VR

BTW, whoever says that this game is ugly is just plain wrong. Game ooozes style and atmosphere, and in moments visuals are phenomenal!

Oh right, that section. Honestly, as much as I loooove Half-Life-style linearity, which this game has (big difference from BF3 linearity, which is evil), I looooved the sneaky sneaky on the checkpoint level.

Yeah, it's mostly just people talking about IQ, particularly re: textures, though I'm not wild about the DOF. Feels too much like haze, rather than true DOF.

DukeBobby

Just finished it.

Best FPS I've played in a long while. Aside from a fairly dull middle section (the hideout levels should have been spread out more), I loved every minute of this.

It puts most AAA shooters to shame, despite not being as 'critically acclaimed' as some of them. Yes, I'm looking at you Bioshock Infinite.

9/10, highly recommended.

Top Bottom