• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is there any real difference between the two timelines? Or is the only real difference the switching of Fergus and Wyatt with no other worthwhile changes?
Fergus lets you hotwire keypads and get health upgrades, Wyatt lets you pick locks and get armor upgrades. Nothing earth-shattering.

Just finished it, a solid 8/10 if were to attach a score.

A question for people who have also finished it

Is there any real difference between the two timelines? Or is the only real difference the switching of Fergus and Wyatt with no other worthwhile changes?

There's a different character you meet in the safe house, you have a different minigame (lockpicking vs hot wiring) which opens up different paths through the levels, and some scripted events during some chapters are different. Things still play out mostly the same.

Grisby

You guys weren't kidding with the audio mix. Chirst, I have to turn my tv up all the way and everything still sounds like a whisper.

Add in the fact that for some reason my PS4 controller isn't vibrating (it would go on and off in the last game, Tomb Raider DE too) and everything is lacking some 'oomph'.

However, I am having fun. I find myself really enjoying BJ's voice too.

You guys weren't kidding with the audio mix. Chirst, I have to turn my tv up all the way and everything still sounds like a whisper.

Add in the fact that for some reason my PS4 controller isn't vibrating (it would go on and off in the last game, Tomb Raider DE too) and everything is lacking some 'oomph'.

However, I am having fun. I find myself really enjoying BJ's voice too.

Go into your PS4 settings and toggle vibration off then on again. It's a bug with firmware 1.70. You have to do it every time you turn on your PS4.

Sullichin

This game is great. Unfortunately I have to play at low settings at 900p to get 60fps. Seems like I should be able to do better (HD7950, i52500K), but I read other people with AMD cards were having problems. Oh well.

At first I thought the campaign was as generic as they come, but it picks up fast. That Deathshead guy is fucked up. Mechanics wise I suppose I'm doing things I've done a thousand times in other games but I don't mind. The gunplay is excellent.

H2Yo

I know that PSN says the PS4 version is ~43Gb which is the total space it will take up but what is the actual download size? Half this or?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Chapter 8, brehs.

There's no way any fan of Riddick/Darkness era Starbreeze won't like this game. Everything so far has been the continuation of that style from pacing to voice acting. Even things like the abrupt jump to cutscenes, and character names on screen when you look at people reminds me of that era.

I actually really didn't enjoy 8 much. As far as atmosphere and world-building go it's great, but forced stealth is not what I wanted from this game at all. There's enough pointless/weaponless wandering and fetch quests in the hideout interludes, I really didn't need an entire chapter of it right when the game is hitting it's stride.

The stealth in the game is great when it meshes with the 'regular' combat and it shifts between them naturally. Enemies have weapons and know how to react properly when they spot you, but if you take away their guns and give them batons they become broken, ineffectual robots. Even if you didn't have 1-hit kill throwing knives and the AI wasn't dumber than bricks, it would still be undesirable. Actually I think the fact that the stealth is so broken in your favor is still net positive because you can get it over with without frustration.

Chapter 8 is one of my few major complaints about the game, and I honestly hope MG resists the urge to indulge in their Riddick design mentality if they get to work on Wolfenstein again.

Andrew.

Banned
The DMR Rifle? I love it. It also looks amazing, the design of the weapon itself.

Yeah the design is just simply beautiful. I've never seen a sniper rifle come anywhere close to looking like this before. Wasn't expecting it whatsoever.

Also, finally nailed the Bullseye perk. Electric naders against the air drones do indeed count!

I actually really didn't enjoy 8 much. As far as atmosphere and world-building go it's great, but forced stealth is not what I wanted from this game at all. There's enough pointless/weaponless wandering and fetch quests in the hideout interludes, I really didn't need an entire chapter of it right when the game is hitting it's stride.

The stealth in the game is great when it meshes with the 'regular' combat and it shifts between them naturally. Enemies have weapons and know how to react properly when they spot you, but if you take away their guns and give them batons they become broken, ineffectual robots. Even if you didn't have 1-hit kill throwing knives and the AI wasn't dumber than bricks, it would still be undesirable. Actually I think the fact that the stealth is so broken in your favor is still net positive because you can get it over with without frustration.

Chapter 8 is one of my few major complaints about the game, and I honestly hope MG resists the urge to indulge in their Riddick design mentality if they get to work on Wolfenstein again.

See, you say you don't need that right as the game is "hitting it's stride," but I don't think that's the point at all.
Chapter 8 is literally the halfway point and is supposed to be juxtaposed against the tone of Chapter 7, a relatively short and easygoing level, and used as a tone setting, sort of second half intro level to kick off the rest of the game. Plus there's a lot of good character stuff in the camp with BJ and you end it with a mech rampage because why not.

I love that kind of stuff, and it reminded me of why I loved the pacing of their previous work. They're so willing to abandon the spectacle just as it's getting crazy in Chapter 6, and it gives the game character. It's THE reason I was excited for the title when it was revealed that MachineGames was doing it. The AI isn't punishing, but the chapter does what it's supposed to.

GavinUK86

Did anyone else wonder why they didn't help BJ up after he collapsed on the ground in front of the group before the elevator? (Chapter 16).

They all just kind of step over him and went on their marry way. Was kind of awkward in my opinion.

Yeah that scene got me thinking...

Could he be hallucinating? There were people behind the main 3 but when you get into the lift they disappeared then when the lift stops theres a whole bunch of other people just waiting there. Anya would've at least tried to help him up. She would've been more worried about the injury too. If so, everything after that perhaps doesn't make much sense so I dunno. That did bug me though.

About the spoiler:
I actually wanted to just walk away from it and not kill Bubi (I'll die not knowing his actual name) and I did. The game didn't do anything to stop me, which I like, but there was also no resolution, you just walk away, no extra dialogue, nothing. It just hangs out there in the open. Machine Games simply didn't expect anyone to not kill him like I did. Sloppy.

His name was Hanks Winkle. It says in the character bios in the extras menu.

SZips

Yeah that scene got me thinking...

Could he be hallucinating? There were people behind the main 3 but when you get into the lift they disappeared then when the lift stops theres a whole bunch of other people just waiting there. Anya would've at least tried to help him up. She would've been more worried about the injury too.

If so, everything after that perhaps doesn't make much sense so I dunno. That did bug me though.

Honestly, I was expecting some big ending reveal that showed
BJ was still out at sea floating. That, or he was still in the looney bin/hospital, a prisoner of his own mind and that everything that happened following the shrapnel flying into his head was just all in his imagination.

His infatuation with the nurse that was then present for the rest of the game. His remarkable ability to survive just about anything thrown at him in cutscenes and keep going like nothing happened (including the part where he is stabbed by the needle yet powers through it like it's nothing). His apparent daydreams, also involving the nurse, setting up some perfect life.

And then there's the talk he has with Tekla
after one of the nights you opt to sleep at the hideout. Where she goes on and on about what happens to the unconscious mind. Whether or not a person is really them in that time of being unconscious as they are when they are awake and what happens to the thoughts and mind when someone is sleeping or unconscious. I seriously thought that was a huge flag that it was all just something going on inside's BJ's damaged mind and that none of what happened in the game actually happened.

DocSeuss

after one of the nights you opt to sleep at the hideout. Where she goes on and on about what happens to the unconscious mind. Whether or not a person is really them in that time of being unconscious as they are when they are awake and what happens to the thoughts and mind when someone is sleeping or unconscious. I seriously thought that was a huge flag that it was all just something going on inside's BJ's damaged mind and that none of what happened in the game actually happened.

I thought this was in reference to
the two timelines--both realities, where he saved Fergus and Wyatt, are real

luka

Loves Robotech S1
See, you say you don't need that right as the game is "hitting it's stride," but I don't think that's the point at all.
Chapter 8 is literally the halfway point and is supposed to be juxtaposed against the tone of Chapter 7, a relatively short and easygoing level, and used as a tone setting, sort of second half intro level to kick off the rest of the game. Plus there's a lot of good character stuff in the camp with BJ and you end it with a mech rampage because why not.

That's pretty much the reason why I didn't like it - It's already prefaced by a chapter with basically no action to speak of. Yeah you get to stomp around for a bit in a big robot, but that's still a hell of a long time in which you don't actually get to indulge in the game's primary attraction.

DocSeuss

That's pretty much the reason why I didn't like it - It's already prefaced by a chapter with basically no action to speak of. Yeah you get to stomp around for a bit in a big robot, but that's still a hell of a long time in which you don't actually get to indulge in the game's primary attraction.

But... it's pacing. If you did the same thing nonstop, it'd lose its impact. Going from super uberBJ to stealth and back feels better. Plus, I mean, I love feeling like a ninja.

Andrew.

Banned
But... it's pacing. If you did the same thing nonstop, it'd lose its impact. Going from super uberBJ to stealth and back feels better. Plus, I mean, I love feeling like a ninja.

Yo Doc did you finish this yet? I seriously am anticipating and expecting a massive thesis from you on why this game kicks so much ass in your opinion.

Gaz_RB

Yeah the missions where you start stealthy and then go balls out towards the end make it all worth it. So good.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

I tend to prefer pacing built around interesting iterations of enounter and level design that compliment the mechanics, rather than drastic shifts in style for several hours.

Again, I'm not saying having a chapter focused on stealth is bad, but it's chapter with little action bookended by chapters with little action. I don't feel like that's good pacing.

DocSeuss

Yo Doc did you finish this yet? I seriously am anticipating and expecting a massive thesis from you on why this game kicks so much ass in your opinion.

I beat it, but I'm honestly feeling like I need to go back through and play as Wyatt this time (that, right there, should tell you something--I never immediately replay games). Thing is, I feel like I gotta sit back and digest it for a while, so it's probably going to be a while. I may actually try to do a video on it. Someone asked me elsewhere about some shooters I'd recommend. I was thinking of maybe doing a thread talking about different shooters and specific elements that make them awesome.

I gotta get around to doing my Half-Life 2 thread at some point.

I tend to prefer pacing built around interesting iterations of enounter and level design that compliment the mechanics, rather than drastic shifts in style for several hours.

Again, I'm not saying having a chapter focused on stealth is bad, but it's chapter with little action bookended by chapters with little action. I don't feel like that's good pacing.

I respect your opinion, but I gotta disagree. I mean, yes, you're right: from a chapter-to-chapter level, that's what's going on. As for me, I thought of the story more in terms of its arcs than its levels, and the story runs on something more akin to a traditional five-act story structure, with the stealth section being Act 3.

Starting my first playthrough, straight to Uber. Already died twice on the opening turret segment. Finding myself wishing I went PC over PS4, the game looks perfectly fine but I feel like I can't see a goddamn thing with this FOV.

Sound mix is very strange too. On a 5.1 setup and it's damn hard to hear dialogue half the time. (Edit: Okay, it's impossible to hear it sometimes. I just blew up a turret very early on and the guy over the radio says "okay, do this now" and I literally wouldn't have known he was talking if I didn't have subtitles on)

Not having the best first impression of this game.

DocSeuss

I hope machine games is either doing doom or is helping out.

Doom would need bigger maps with more strafing.

And I'm not sure I want a story as good as what we got in Wolfenstein. It was almost too good for Doom. Then again, I'm the guy who has Quake V and its amazing story planned out in his head...

I think, like I've said before, it's a matter of expectations. You call the shooting the game's primary attraction, but for me the primary attraction is the fact that it's a MachineGames title, and that carries the legacy of what they've done before. So while shooting is a major part of it in this particular title, the downtime and world building is right up there with it. The thought of getting a game with that kind of pacing is what attracted me first and foremost, and it's delivering on that so far. I've never seen this as "Wolfenstein featuring a new dev" this is "MachineGames doing Wolfenstein."

Andrew.

Banned
I hear that. My primary reason for buying this game was because it was ex Starbreeze and that I knew that they could easily deliver on characterization, story and environmental immersion.

Gunplay came second. And everything has delivered in spades on all fronts. To me at least.

MattyG

Banned
Honestly, I was expecting some big ending reveal that showed
BJ was still out at sea floating. That, or he was still in the looney bin/hospital, a prisoner of his own mind and that everything that happened following the shrapnel flying into his head was just all in his imagination.

His infatuation with the nurse that was then present for the rest of the game. His remarkable ability to survive just about anything thrown at him in cutscenes and keep going like nothing happened (including the part where he is stabbed by the needle yet powers through it like it's nothing). His apparent daydreams, also involving the nurse, setting up some perfect life.

That's exactly what I expected to happen.

dreamfall

I hear that. My primary reason for buying this game was because it was ex Starbreeze and that I knew that they could easily deliver on characterization, story and environmental immersion.

Gunplay came second. And everything has delivered in spades on all fronts. To me at least.

Amen to this. Starbreeze foreva! I'm slowly savoring it, just hit Chapter 4. I'm loving every little bit of it, and the narrative is cohesive thus far. I want to explore, and I'm not a huge FPS enthusiast. But The Darkness & Riddick remain among my favorite shooters ever, and this is shaping up nicely!

SZips

I thought this was in reference to
the two timelines--both realities, where he saved Fergus and Wyatt, are real

Weird how you saw it as being one thing and I essentially thought that she was talking about the complete opposite. Maybe it will be more clear when I finish my second play through of the game.

Sullichin

Completely uninstalling (with DDU) / resinstalling Catalyst 14.4 solved my FPS issues. Seems like I still need to disable screen space reflections.

I'm sneaking into the prison now. I don't really like how it's a forced stealth section so this part is kind slow for me.

DukeBobby

Completely uninstalling (with DDU) / resinstalling Catalyst 14.4 solved my FPS issues. Seems like I still need to disable screen space reflections.

I'm sneaking into the prison now. I don't really like how it's a forced stealth section so this part is kind slow for me.

Well, it's not really forced stealth. Dual wield those knives and stab the dim-witted fools as they walk slowly towards you.

The melee guards are hilarious in this game.

We don't really have any good beer here in America so I'll chip in for the Euro and New Zealand beers.

Being from CO, I'm calling BS on this one. I can't walk 10 feet without tripping over an awesome microbrewery here.

You bastards are really tempting me to pick up this game, but with my main graphics card smoked I'm stuck either trying to run it on my crusty old 5770 or playing it on PS4. I vastly prefer FPS games on KB/mouse :/

JayEH

Just "beat" the game on Uber using the trick. Not sure if I want to go back and get all the collectibles right now.

DocSeuss

This makes me sad. And laugh.

"I'm actually the resident hippie here," says Gustaf Grefberg, the senior sound advisor on Wolfenstein, and Machine Games' in-house yoga instructor.

For Wolfenstein: The New Order, he's most proud of the foley work he's performed for the game's sound effects, particularly the gun sounds.

"We got a lot of very bold, strong echoes, especially if you're running through one of the bigger spaces and shooting," he says. "You get a sense of space when you do that. ... The guns are very loud, which means that a big portion of the sound comes from the environment, bouncing the sound back, not just from the explosive sound of the gun itself."

Via Polygon.

Maybe you've got bold, strong echoes, but your guns sound narrow and kinda bad, dude. :(

The same for me. Never cared for Wolfenstein to be honest. I was only interested because Riddick: Butcher Bay/Darkness were great/good experiences.

Top Bottom