• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Nemesis_

The same for me. Never cared for Wolfenstein to be honest. I was only interested because Riddick: Butcher Bay/Darkness were great/good experiences.

Pretty much my stance too. I never tried the Raven developed game on the last gen. I pretty much stopped at Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

This game is really amazing. I've got all the achievements but I am keen to give it another run through. I love all the characters too, which is rare for me in a game like this.

I'm wondering - has Bethesda or MachineGames eluded to their plans for the title in the future? I feel like there's a lot of areas they could go with if they wanted to make another DLC campaign of sorts. I hope the game warrants it too.

I'll spoiler these just in case, but they're just some ideas I have.

• They could choose to focus on
    Ramona.............
    since they seemed to get up to a lot based on the recordings found.
  • Perhaps maybe let us play as one of Frau's daughters. One who is trying to separate from the Nazi regime (only to be eventually found and executed).
  • I guess a more obvious one would be (Ending spoilers)
    to play as BJ following the scene in the ending - to wake up and escape the building and then track down Frau, who is still alive and livid with rage after you killed Bubi in front of her
  • If they wanted to be really controversial, they could let us actually play as Frau during her earlier years and explore the establishment of the Girls Brigade.
  • And for the lulz, a PlatinumGames developed downloadable content where you play as (Chapter 15 spoilers)
    Caroline in the power suit
I realise a lot of my stuff is female centric, but I do think that they really didn't work on the Girls Brigade angle (nor did we see them) as much as they could have. I think they could pull off a playable Frau because she seems to be a tough as nails analogue to BJ himself.

ElRenoRaven

The New Order is truly a breath of fresh air. There needs to be more AAA old-school gaming. Simple fun + nostalgic feels.

Yup. This game shows that you can have an old school game and have it be fun and entertaining. I really hope this sells well so that it can be proven to them.

UFRA

Only ever played one Wolfenstein game before this, and it was for like 5 min and I didn't really like it.

This game, however, is amazing. There's just something about it. The gunplay is fun, I am enjoying the story, and the collectibles for some reason (I can't figure out why...because I normally HATE collectibles in shooters) are actually fun to find. I like the added touch of being able to decode the enigma documents you find for other rewards. Pretty cool.

I'm about 35% through now, and so far I just can't get enough of this game. I definitely am going to go for 100% on the achievements, since they're actually very reasonable and nothing too crazy. I look forward to playing this game through a few times and with different strategies. Right now, I almost always opt for stealth.

Next playthrough it's going to be all about dual wielding and spraying and praying!! lol

Levyne

Banned
One of the Demolition perks is to get 5 kills in 10 seconds using dual wielded rocket launchers. I swear I've done that but it's not unlocking. Is there something I'm missing?

Nemesis_

The thing I most love about this game is that it allows you to either spray and pray or be stealthy. The game seems perfectly balanced for both options to some extent.

Stealth is a _little_ bit abusable - but generally speaking if you want to go in running and gunning there's more than enough health packs and ammo strewn throughout the environments to support you in doing so.

I also had a lot more fun with a more action-orientated playthrough despite being a stealthy kind of guy in these types of games. The gore and the blood effects are just so good looking it's no where near as satisfying as a neat and clean shot from a silence pistol or knife.

Side note: brew your own beer. Sipping on my Bavarian helles while blasting the Third Reich in Wolfenstein = priceless. Too many micros overhop all their styles to mask off-flavors. Classic lagers and pilsners are complex in their simplicity... Few micro breweries invest the time and money involved in lagering. Most everything is an ale (easy). Might brand my next beer "The New Order".

DocSeuss

I realise a lot of my stuff is female centric, but I do think that they really didn't work on the Girls Brigade angle (nor did we see them) as much as they could have. I think they could pull off a playable Frau because she seems to be a tough as nails analogue to BJ himself.

Last shooter I played with a female lead was one of the best shooters ever made... so I see no problem playing female leads. I want to play more, tbqh.

mrqs

Just got to the helicopters part.

Man, this game get more amazing every hour. The narrative is absolutely stellar, the gameplay is a mix between many generes with a touch of nostalgia and the level design is superb.

I'm really diggin' it.

Sullichin

Oh! Forgot to mention that the card game scene on the train was brilliant. The character models in this game are really good.

On a side note..Alt+F4'ng out of the game doesn't actually quit the process.

Nemesis_

Last shooter I played with a female lead was one of the best shooters ever made... so I see no problem playing female leads. I want to play more, tbqh.

Maybe it's hard to do without it being excessively cheesy or downright sexist, but I was seriously expecting one or two chapters to be dedicated to storming the League of German Girls and taking down Frau, her daughters and the league's soldiers.

I'm not too familiar with the League either - I know it was a real thing but I don't know if they raised these women to be soldiers. Then again this is a game where Nazi's have taken command of ancient and advanced technology so I don't think historical accuracy would be a priority concern for them.

Oh! Forgot to mention that the card game scene on the train was brilliant. The character models in this game are really good.

On a side note..Alt+F4'ng out of the game doesn't actually quit the process.

Yeah, it was a genuinely frightening moment when she grabbed my hand. I was so involved in that scene ._.
and totally understand why BJ would want to "unload" immediately after

robotrock

Banned
I got to the first major choice of the game in Chapter 1 or 2 of the game and then I immediately closed it. I can't do this right now, GAF.

Levyne

Banned
One of the Demolition perks is to get 5 kills in 10 seconds using dual wielded rocket launchers. I swear I've done that but it's not unlocking. Is there something I'm missing?

Quoting myself in case anyone else has trouble, seems like it won't count if either hand runs out of rockets midway.

I got to the first major choice of the game in Chapter 1 or 2 of the game and then I immediately closed it. I can't do this right now, GAF.

Just FYI, that's the only branch in the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The New Order is truly a breath of fresh air. There needs to be more AAA old-school gaming. Simple fun + nostalgic feels.

Yup. game is amazing and this FPS nowadays really need to change already from the boring slow paced 2 guns military shooters. developers need to learn from and copy this game.

but I doubt it'll lead a change in the genre because sadly the game got tons of bad reviews and bad scores.

MattyG

Banned
I just got to the train scene again. That part right before
the sex scene is so good. I don't know why, but the way BJ just keeps quietly saying "Yes" over and over again while barely breaking eye contact made that scene perfect.

scitek

Done. Thing I like the most about it is it didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome, despite taking me 15 hours to beat. It mixed up the locations and such outstandingly well to make it feel like I went a lot of places and did a lot of things. On top of that, it was really well-paced throughout. Badass game, for sure.

Nemesis_

I just got to the train scene again. That part right before
the sex scene is so good. I don't know why, but the way BJ just keeps quietly saying "Yes" over and over again while barely breaking wye contact made that scene perfect.

Really is such a fantastic moment. I honestly feel like it's one of the least tacky scenes like this in a video game.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Completely uninstalling (with DDU) / resinstalling Catalyst 14.4 solved my FPS issues. Seems like I still need to disable screen space reflections.

I'm sneaking into the prison now. I don't really like how it's a forced stealth section so this part is kind slow for me.

I've found Uber to be the best fun.. forces stealth or else death.
Can go guns blazing still, but a thoughtful version of guns blazing.

scitek

I can see where complaints about the last half come from. These heavy soliders/mechs are busting my balls. Gotta git gud.

There was one room I must've died at least 10 times in. I ended up literally running through it and not killing anyone, otherwise I would've spent an hour there.

A couple of things I think could've benefited the game - changing weapons could be faster, and I wouldn't have minded the option to pause the game while switching weapons.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'd rather not buy a $400 console when the PS3 version plays perfectly fine at 720p and a solid 60FPS. The textures aren't as good as the first-party PS3 stuff, but it's a decent trade off for performance this good.

I completely understand sticking with last gen if you wait a long time for games to save money. Current gen games haven't had time to get dirt cheap.
But if you're paying day one prices for last-gen games you're just cheating yourself.

Nemesis_

The only chapter where I said to myself "hmm maybe they could have cut this or reduced it's length" was the one with the water and changing water levels.

But I hate most underwater levels in games so yeah, it's not a HUGE deal I guess.

GavinUK86

The only chapter where I said to myself "hmm maybe they could have cut this or reduced it's length" was the one with the water and changing water levels.

But I hate most underwater levels in games so yeah, it's not a HUGE deal I guess.

I remember getting to the underwater level where you find the
secret base with the ancient weapons (and the awesome suit for Caroline)
and thought "pfft! better than cod ghosts underwater level" lol.

Gaz_RB

"Broke all your shit."

Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif

Really is such a fantastic moment. I honestly feel like it's one of the least tacky scenes like this in a video game.

Who knew that it would be Wolfenstien that would tackle something like that in such a great way.

Grisby

Go into your PS4 settings and toggle vibration off then on again. It's a bug with firmware 1.70. You have to do it every time you turn on your PS4.
Yeah, it worked this time. Man, every single time? That's a hell of a bug.

Got past the prologue. I really dug the
Castle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quoting myself in case anyone else has trouble, seems like it won't count if either hand runs out of rockets midway.

Yeah, for dual-wield challenges both guns need to be firing for the full duration. I was wondering why the "Three kills with dual-wielded assault rifles without letting go of the fire buttons" challenge wasn't unlocking; I didn't realise that I had to hold down RMB, too, haha (I misread "buttons" as "button" and wasn't really paying close attention to the fact that my second gun wasn't firing).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't know how to feel about this. For whatever reason, my mind wants to compare it to Binary Domain, which I liked more.

But it's weird, because Wolfenstein seems "objectively better" in most respects?

-Binary Domain is more tunnel-visioned in design, yet the way that Wolfenstein makes more complex levels doesn't necessarily do it in a more interesting way, like say, Deus Ex HR.
-Binary Domain is not nearly as gorgeously fleshed out in the visuals, but its clean looks helped me to keep track of the action better, whereas in Wolfenstein the low contrast/high haze has me often struggling to catch every mark. The beauty of Wolfenstein is best only in its most boring times.
-The action in Wolfenstein is more complex in terms of options, enemy behavior, reactions from your attacks, etc. However, utilizing those options feels kind of sloppy, haphazard, and slow compared to the very snappy action of Binary Domain.
-The characters in Wolfenstein are more complex and realistic, and their relationships are natural and messy. It's definitely working on a higher artistic level with its elements, however, I liked the characters and interactions of the more stereotyped Binary Domain characters and their interactions felt more genuine and were more moving.
-Interestingly, Wolfenstein may have a much more fleshed out world, but thematically Binary Domain is more unique, philosophically compelling, and has a great pacing, becoming more and more engrossing and complex as it moves forward.

It's so weird. I see all the hard work that went into Wolfenstein, and the game has so much to it that is all so different from the other parts that I would use the word "organic" as a sense word for the artistic and narrative vision and execution. Yet the way you actually propel that forward is some rather samey gameplay that seems to be coming off either slower or sloppier than it wants to be.

This may be a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to open up the weapon selection....is it just me, or have other people had difficulty with this. Triangle switches weapons , but only to the previous ones... I have hit all the buttons on the ps4 controller... Haha it's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh

This may be a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to open up the weapon selection....is it just me, or have other people had difficulty with this. Triangle switches weapons , but only to the previous ones... I have hit all the buttons on the ps4 controller... Haha it's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh

Hold R1 for weapon wheel.

Hold R1 for weapon wheel.
Haha fuck me....thanks man. I knew it was gonna be something like that. Did I miss an intro tutorial on how to do that?

Ahh new page, might as we'll add impressions. I love the game so far...been a while since I played great narrative driven shooter, but so far so good. Only complaint I have is the sound, the mix is fucked up as many posters have mentioned. I am using my pulse elite headset and set it to shooter and it helps make the guns have more oomph..but they need to do something about the sound mix. Thank god for subtitles.

Levyne

Banned
Finally through Chapter 12. Had to resort to ADS a bunch and popping in and out of cover. Reminded me of doing WaW on Veteran way back when, only
rockets instead of grenades.

Should be able to wrap it up tomorrow!

Haha fuck me....thanks man. I knew it was gonna be something like that. Did I miss an intro tutorial on how to do that?

Maybe. It might have been one of those quick little tutorial blurbs in the upper right. I've had difficulty reading some of the text for time to time. You can also always check the tutorials section from the touchpad, pretty sure it covers everything.

ElRenoRaven

So finished Chapter 11. SinglePlayer wise I'm putting it on par with RTCW without a doubt. It's nice to see the franchise taking steps back in the right direction now.

This game really reminds of the Darkness, in that it has this B-game unpolished feel to a lot of it, which means its never as good as I hope it could be, but its also more interesting than a half dozen other similar action games to come out this year.

The unequivalently best thing about it for me is actually just interaction with the various characters. Kinda like how the best part of the Darkness was just sitting on a couch with your girl. Not a false note in the batch, surprisingly well-written, ably performed, durably likable cast we got here. Even Blackowicz works, his 90s FPS action hero straight man(complete with terse tough guy rhetoric/monologues) to the various eccentricities of the supporting cast.

This game really reminds of the Darkness, in that it has this B-game unpolished feel to a lot of it, which means its never as good as I hope it could be, but its also more interesting than a half dozen other similar action games to come out this year.

The unequivalently best thing about it for me is actually just interaction with the various characters. Kinda like how the best part of the Darkness was just sitting on a couch with your girl. Not a false note in the batch, surprisingly well-written, ably performed, durably likable cast we got here. Even Blackowicz works, his 90s FPS action hero straight man(complete with terse tough guy rhetoric/monologues) to the various eccentricities of the supporting cast.

I completely I agree with you. Definitely has that B game feel, but at the same time I think that's what allows it to take some narrative risks and be as interesting as possible. And to me that makes it a far better game than the generic first person shooter that is usually shoved down our throats.

antitrop

I'm having a blast with Chapter 12, the level design is fantastic. Tons of bullet-sponge enemies, sure, but my arsenal is huge.

EDIT: Made it to Chapter 13, shit is getting real. 12 was my favorite Chapter in the game, so far.

Top Bottom