• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

npa189

Just finished it. Took 13hrs according to Steam and I died 130 times on medium. Overall I really enjoyed it, the game was hard, but fair. Nothing felt cheap I just couldn't kill those Nazis fast enough.
I was dissapointed with the lack of any Hitler, but he could be dead already according to canon.
Good on machine games for bucking that terrible Bethesda 3rd party curse. This game stands shoulder to shoulder with BioShock and dishonored for me.

MattyG

Banned
Maybe I'm just dumb or missed it, but what was the purpose of MID GAME SPOILERS
going to the Da'at Yichud underwater stash? Did they go there to get the big spikey ball? Because it didn't seem like they knew it was there, Roth just kind of went "oh hey, we can use this!" That and the suit are the only things they got from there, but neither of them were things they specifically went there for.

Just finished my first playthrough. This game, just like TLoU and Beyond, was a game I just didn't want to end (despite knowing it was coming). It was a fun ride while it lasted. Off to round two I guess. I hope there is a sequel, because the world and characters were really interesting and I would love to revisit them.

sflufan

Banned
Goddamnit MachineGames - I just want to lock your sound engineers in a room with someone from DICE and/or copies of CoD, CoD: United Offensive, and CoD 2 so you can hear what GOOD weapons sound reproduction is like!

The actual gunplay is pretty damned good, but the weapons sounds really do lack "oomph"!

Levyne

Banned
No, I take it back, Chapter 13 is my favorite in the game, so far. THIS GAME.

aaaaahhhh
AU7Amsc.gif

That's where I had to turn off. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy crap Chapter 12 was good. Just hit 13
the MOTHERFUCKING MOON

This game is fantastic. So memorable and just plain fun.

Snowballo

I've tried both PS3 and X360 versions.
Why is the sound sooo low and weak?
The gunfire seems like weapons are miles away from me.
Am I the only one having this issue? :(

I decided to postponed playing this game due to my laptop's fan is acting up. But I'll buy it anyway.

Would you say that this game has the best story so far this year?

SkylineRKR

13? yeah its great. I am near the end. But I did like 12 slightly more.

I always overlook those damned kampfhunds in this game, stealthed only 2 out of 5 :(

I've tried both PS3 and X360 versions.
Why is the sound sooo low and weak?
The gunfire seems like weapons are miles away from me.
Am I the only one having this issue? :(

Everyone. But forcing Dolby does seem to work. I think it sounds better.

Raptomex

I decided to postponed playing this game due to my laptop's fan is acting up. But I'll buy it anyway.

Would you say that this game has the best story so far this year?
The story is better than I thought it would be. Especially for a Wolfenstein game. Though, I've enjoyed every story in the series for it's crazy over the top science fiction stuff, this one has some great character development.

BeeDog

I'm a bit stupid with setting up the audio properly, but could someone be so kind as to provide a simple explanation on how to configure the PS4 to use the correct sound mix for the game?

SkylineRKR

I'm a bit stupid with setting up the audio properly, but could someone be so kind as to provide a simple explanation on how to configure the PS4 to use the correct sound mix for the game?

I only have optical digital out. At Sound and Screen options I checked everything but simply chose Bitstream Dolby as prefered format this time (I usually prefer DTS).

Finished my first playthrough last night. So good. Chapter 13 was indeed the highlight, especially that glorious music!

I would've liked more
moon-walking
, though.

BeeDog

I only have optical digital out. At Sound and Screen options I checked everything but simply chose Bitstream Dolby as prefered format this time (I usually prefer DTS).

I use HDMI Out to my receiver, and the prioritized format is set to Linear PCM. Is this enough, or does it explicitly have to be Bitstream (Dolby) to solve it?

SkylineRKR

I use HDMI Out to my receiver, and the prioritized format is set to Linear PCM. Is this enough, or does it explicitly have to be Bitstream (Dolby) to solve it?

Bitstream Dolby. LPCM seems to be the issue, and DTS seems to use that source or something, thus fucking up also.

Snowballo

13? yeah its great. I am near the end. But I did like 12 slightly more.

I always overlook those damned kampfhunds in this game, stealthed only 2 out of 5 :(

Everyone. But forcing Dolby does seem to work. I think it sounds better.

Can I do this with PS3 or X360? Or just PS4/XOne/PC version?

Side note: brew your own beer. Sipping on my Bavarian helles while blasting the Third Reich in Wolfenstein = priceless. Too many micros overhop all their styles to mask off-flavors. Classic lagers and pilsners are complex in their simplicity... Few micro breweries invest the time and money involved in lagering. Most everything is an ale (easy). Might brand my next beer "The New Order".

Son of a bitch, I was going to call my Hefeweizen that I am about to do The New Order, in tribute to this amazing game.

I'd do lagers but I don't have a place to keep them cool enough sadly during fermentation, so I do a lot of Ales because...well I also really love ales.

That said I was sipping a nice, hoppy pale ale(Outer Heaven Pale Ale hopped with Admiral, Warrior, and Cascade hops, WLP060 American Ale yeast) I made about a month ago during chapter 10 the other day.

Beer + Nazi killing = bliss.

Beat it on Uber but i got the Death Incarnate achievement instead idk why and i dont care the last boss was a bitch and ruined it for me, but overall i really enjoyed this game hopefully they make a sequel.

They probably will that broken face Nazi lady is still alive.

BeeDog

Bitstream Dolby. LPCM seems to be the issue, and DTS seems to use that source or something, thus fucking up also.

Thanks! Did seem to improve the punch of the audio.

Anyway, played for a bit over an hour, believe I'm still in chapter 1 (not far after climbing the wall with the hook). I heard some criticize the game for its early stages, but I'm having great fun even here. And to know it will only get better and better...!

Spineker

Banned
This game is awesome. It clearly isn't trying to reinvent the wheel but it doesn't have to. It's just fun with a really interesting story and setting with awesome gunplay and that's about it.

Still not sure if it will challenge Stick of Truth for GOTY.

Virzeth

what do I do with
man machine?
(Chapter 16 spoiler)

General Totenkopf
, I assume?

Phase 1:
Use the cannons to destroy the blimps (cut the fence and follow the corridor in both directions), then 'nade his mechanical ass.

Phase 2:
There are at least 12 rockets scattered around the place (4 outdoors, in one of the metal boxes, 4 next to a pillar as soon as you get inside the underground level, and 4 more on the opposite corner of the room, behind a wall), not much strategy here, unless I missed something, just have to go nuts on him.

He must've killed me a dozen times (on Uber), this was the only frustrating part of the game for me since I had to restock armor and ammo every time.

GtrqGTi.jpg

<3

Chapter 16 spoilers

Final boss is a perfect reason why more shooters need some dodge mechanics + dodge-able attacks or something. There's almost zero interactivity between the player and Mecha Deathshead. He's just constantly spamming a flurry of hitscan lasers and only reacts (by reacts, I mean merely flinches a bit) to the player when shot with a rocket or sustained energy weapon fire. My victory on Uber felt more or less random. Really no strategy involved beyond spamming rockets and whatever other shit I could as quickly as possible because leaning does fuck all and cover is spotty half the time against his lasers. I was really digging the flame gimmick because it forced a higher level of spacial awareness and gave a pretty hype visual indicator of boss health + overall escalation of the fight, but the actual boss design was ass imo. Well, the second phase at least. First phase (taking down the zeppelins) was neat when I figured out the strategy. There were actually some interactions there with dodging the timed lightning orbs and blasting Deathshead to make him heal his shield. Not perfect, but better.

Pretty strong game overall. Story kind of fizzled toward the end but the characters were better than they had any right being. Some odd design here and there...Midgame spoilers
When hijacking the train, the game throws like three heavys plus like four shotgun guys and an assload of regular troops at the player, but the fight can immediately be ended by running up the the train and pressing the interact button? idk, just a bit odd.

Beat the game on Uber, took around 16 hours(steam says 12, but it lost the 4 hours of VPN playing)

Will leave more detailed impressions later, but that was a real blast and I'm still blown away they made us care about Wolfenstein characters. Some really good character development and writing in the game balanced by incredible gunplay. Wish all of the guns had left the gooey wounds that the laser rifle deals out though :D

Ending seemed really silly though,
BJ is a tank! Suppose it's meant to be a cliff hanger, hopefully Machine games makes another one! Or/and is given the freedom to do original ip. Seems they left room open for one and even set up the main villain given Engel is still alive at the end. The bit of acting where she watches you kill Bubi was incredible.

And I beat the final boss on my first try, it's as easy as can be. Not really very interesting, but I don't see how so many get stuck.

Nemesis_

Beat the game on Uber, took around 16 hours(steam says 12, but it lost the 4 hours of VPN playing)

Will leave more detailed impressions later, but that was a real blast and I'm still blown away they made us care about Wolfenstein characters. Some really good character development and writing in the game balanced by incredible gunplay. Wish all of the guns had left the gooey wounds that the laser rifle deals out though :D

BJ is a tank! Suppose it's meant to be a cliff hanger, hopefully Machine games makes another one! Or/and is given the freedom to do original ip. Seems they left room open for one and even set up the main villain given Engel is still alive at the end. The bit of acting where she watches you kill Bubi was incredible.

And I beat the final boss on my first try, it's as easy as can be. Not really very interesting, but I don't see how so many get stuck.

I know. Needless to say that person was my favourite character besides BJ and I am glad that their outcome was what it was.

Absolutely amazing scene where
she basically talks shit to you after getting her jaw crushed. Chilling but amazing.

Virzeth

About your spoiler...
They are going to nuke the place, not much of a cliffhanger there I'd say.

DocSeuss

Maybe I'm just dumb or missed it, but what was the purpose of MID GAME SPOILERS
going to the Da'at Yichud underwater stash? Did they go there to get the big spikey ball? Because it didn't seem like they knew it was there, Roth just kind of went "oh hey, we can use this!" That and the suit are the only things they got from there, but neither of them were things they specifically went there for.

They went down there to see if there was anything they could use. That is literally the point. They got the two devices and the suit.

Goddamnit MachineGames - I just want to lock your sound engineers in a room with someone from DICE and/or copies of CoD, CoD: United Offensive, and CoD 2 so you can hear what GOOD weapons sound reproduction is like!

The actual gunplay is pretty damned good, but the weapons sounds really do lack "oomph"!

The sound designer for Wolfenstein is the EXACT SAME GUY who did the sound design for Syndicate, which seems to borrow from the same asset library that DICE/EA created a few years ago. Syndicate's gun sounds are the best I've ever heard in a shooter.

I think it's the case of what Bethesda obtained for them/allowed them to work with. Can't think of a single Bethesda game with what I'd consider "great," sound design. EA/DICE have a huge in-house library of real weaponry to play with, change, etc, and when given that library, the guy gave us the best-sounding video game weapons out there.

Nemesis_

I'm tempted to go and give Wolfenstein (2009) a try again, I remember dismissing it.

Is it any good or worth digging up?

I think what really drew me to The New Order were the characfters and the fun gunplay.

dhi

Neo Member
Really brilliant game, congrats Machinegames!

Awesome Gameplay. Great Story. Good Graphics (played on PS4).

Up until now my GOTY (together with South Park).

dab0ne

I'm trying to do the enigma puzzles but dont just want to look up the answer. Are there clues to how to solve them or is it basically guess work? Please spoiler answer.

bidguy

Banned
I'm trying to do the enigma puzzles but dont just want to look up the answer. Are there clues to how to solve them or is it basically guess work? Please spoiler answer.

did you notice the numbers written or scratched into walls ? i think it has something to do with that.

Dr Dogg

Ok that Chapter 5 easter egg was a nice nod and a wink. Quick question though,
how long can you play it ends
?

The sound designer for Wolfenstein is the EXACT SAME GUY who did the sound design for Syndicate, which seems to borrow from the same asset library that DICE/EA created a few years ago. Syndicate's gun sounds are the best I've ever heard in a shooter.

I think it's the case of what Bethesda obtained for them/allowed them to work with. Can't think of a single Bethesda game with what I'd consider "great," sound design. EA/DICE have a huge in-house library of real weaponry to play with, change, etc, and when given that library, the guy gave us the best-sounding video game weapons out there.

Personally outside of the standard shotgun, which did feel a bit weak to what I would expect, ever other aspect has been quite pleasing to me. Even the mix has some very good binaural use in creating distance and a nice circular soundscape (close your eyes and you get a great sense of where things are) but that could be due to the fact I'm using a set of decent headphones and an external DAC & amp combo. I don't think there's too much wrong with the sound design but from what others have reported there does appear to be issues with the engineering.

Top Bottom