• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Nemesis_

Personally outside of the standard shotgun, which did feel a bit weak to what I would expect, ever other aspect has been quite pleasing to me. Even the mix has some very good binaural use in creating distance and a nice circular soundscape (close your eyes and you get a great sense of where things are) but that could be due to the fact I'm using a set of decent headphones and an external DAC & amp combo. I don't think there's too much wrong with the sound design but from what others have reported there does appear to be issues with the engineering.

It's so bizarre that these elements of the game seem to be getting the least attention. Thief was another game that was wrought with these problems and much like Wolfentein it was another game that really seemed to rely on these things being en pointe to play properly. More so in Thief, but yeah. Weird that this stuff passes QA for some reason.

I assume this might be what the day one patch was meant to fix - but that patch was never offered to me on Xbox One or PS4. Not sure if it's because my account is Australian or what. :/

jaosobno

You can use chapter select and play through all chapters again or if you just want the trophy play through just chapter 16 again on uber to unlock it.

1391820991962.gif

I assume this might be what the day one patch was meant to fix - but that patch was never offered to me on Xbox One or PS4. Not sure if it's because my account is Australian or what. :/

check the game on your PS4, should say version 1.01.
it did download for me atleast but does not fix audio.

Dr Dogg

It's so bizarre that these elements of the game seem to be getting the least attention. Thief was another game that was wrought with these problems and much like Wolfentein it was another game that really seemed to rely on these things being en pointe to play properly. More so in Thief, but yeah. Weird that this stuff passes QA for some reason.

Yeah it is a bit weird that what with half the credits of games being made up of various QA departments, audio issues sometimes get easily overlooked. It's not like it's a new thing either as I recall Ratchet and Clank for PS3 was knackered for me no matter what I tried over optical. Either missing centre audio or having no rear surround effects. Seam like the combination of my receiver and the games implementation just didn't want to play ball as it was fine over HDMI.

Arkanius

Ok that Chapter 5 easter egg was a nice nod and a wink. Quick question though,
how long can you play it ends
?

Personally outside of the standard shotgun, which did feel a bit weak to what I would expect, ever other aspect has been quite pleasing to me. Even the mix has some very good binaural use in creating distance and a nice circular soundscape (close your eyes and you get a great sense of where things are) but that could be due to the fact I'm using a set of decent headphones and an external DAC & amp combo. I don't think there's too much wrong with the sound design but from what others have reported there does appear to be issues with the engineering.

I'm using an X-Fi Titanium + O2 Amp and the sound mix was very badly mixed. The sounds are there, but there is no sense of space whatsoever with them. I've tried with both CMSS-3D and without and every mix is bad.

Dr Dogg

I'm using an X-Fi Titanium + O2 Amp and the sound mix was very badly mixed. The sounds are there, but there is no sense of space whatsoever with them. I've tried with both CMSS-3D and without and every mix is bad.

Well I'm using a Fiio e7 over USB and that is a marked improvement over the Xonar DG in my other PC. I think were can all agree though that something isn't right.

Ticking all the boxes does the exact opposite of what you want to do. That post shouldn't be quoted anymore.

This should work over HDMI or Optical. Just make sure you apply these settings to whichever you're using.

So going into the PS4 audio settings and going Dolby Digital with Bitstream Dolby should get me the better stereo audio experience (strictly left + right speakers here)?

I can't believe they nailed the dialogue about racism between you and J.

The writing is pretty good so far , although those diaries recordings are trash. Just finished 12 (fuck rocket launcher guys), some minutes into the next.

edit: on a separate note, props to the art team for designing different enemy uniforms for every level.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game is f*cking awesome. It has its weaknesses, yes, but to me this feels like a Half-Life style experience in the sense that you're always doing something different and interesting.

That said, I just had an annoying crash in Chapter 8. Was just walking along normally when, suddenly, the game booted me to the title screen with a save corruption method and I lost my progress. Thankfully I could still select the correct chapter from the menu but, shit, how annoying.

Mask

The game is f*cking awesome. It has its weaknesses, yes, but to me this feels like a Half-Life style experience in the sense that you're always doing something different and interesting.

Definitely agree. I was getting a HL2 Waterways vibe from the
Berlin Catacombs level. Driving that minisub through the sewers was neat.

This game handles some risque topics pretty well, even better than some games that set out to include them in the game. Quantic Dream would do well to play this, and learn.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely agree. I was getting a HL2 Waterways vibe from the
Berlin Catacombs level. Driving that minisub through the sewers was neat.

This game handles some risque topics pretty well, even better than some games that set out to include them in the game. Quantic Dream would do well to play this, and learn.
Yeah, I'm kind of stunned at how well they've handled characterizations and difficult themes here. It's some of the most natural writing and dialog I've heard in a game as of late which just seems crazy to me. It's really well done.

gribbles

Banned
This game is too friggin easy. Been playing on Uber difficulty for the past 8 hours, and have only died once or twice. The AI is so retarded, i can literally be crouching in front of them only a few meters away, and it still takes them a few secs to notice me.

Jito

Banned
Finished the game and it's definitely the best shooter I've played in a while. Amazing shooting mechanics and surprisingly good story that had me hooked til the end. Some of the level design on the later levels was fantastic, couldn't have been more pumped at the start of chapter 14
crashing landing from the Moon back at the London Nautica
. Based on the ending
are we going to see BJ brought back to health through robotic implants in the next game chasing down Frau Engel? They've set it up for a sequel with the sound of the helicopter coming back at the end.

This game is too friggin easy. Been playing on Uber difficulty for the past 8 hours, and have only died once or twice. The AI is so retarded, i can literally be crouching in front of them only a few meters away, and it still takes them a few secs to notice me.

Don't play stealth. Gets a lot harder. (Yes, I realize stealth is still broken.)

Mask

Yeah, I'm kind of stunned at how well they've handled characterizations and difficult themes here. It's some of the most natural writing and dialog I've heard in a game as of late which just seems crazy to me. It's really well done.

Yep. So easy to tell that this had ex-Starbreeze employees working on it. Natural sounding characterizations are their bread and butter, and they got away with some magical stuff on the
OG Xbox.

One of the chapters was basically the evolution of Riddick.
Camp Belica
, such a fantastic chapter. Could easily be a level from Butcher Bay.

Nemesis_

Finished the game and it's definitely the best shooter I've played in a while. Amazing shooting mechanics and surprisingly good story that had me hooked til the end. Some of the level design on the later levels was fantastic, couldn't have been more pumped at the start of chapter 14
crashing landing from the Moon back at the London Nautica
. Based on the ending
are we going to see BJ brought back to health through robotic implants in the next game chasing down Frau Engel? They've set it up for a sequel with the sound of the helicopter coming back at the end.

Regarding your comments on the ending
I'd be surprised if they went the "Robocop" route with BJ. That being said, the idea of throwing the brain of whoever you didn't save into the mech was incredibly Robocop-esque so I guess I wouldn't be surprised. I like BJ being this hulky, organic buff dude not someone who is assisted by robotics.

I think the helicopters imply he was saved. I am praying for some DLC that will explore more of this game, whether it's to do with the ending or not. I think they left Frau alive for a very good reason though - they could have easily killed her off during her scenes at the concentration camp (even if it would've been disappointing)

One of the chapters was basically the evolution of Riddick.
Camp Belica
, such a fantastic chapter. Could easily be a level from Butcher Bay.

Mind blown. It felt familiar for some reason and now I know why. Cool chapter too. It's rare for a developer to have a level that's half non-action and still keep it interesting.

Game is great so far, and the people that say it looks like shit are crazy but the sound is really broken, the voices are so quiet that i miss almost everything said.
downloaded the patch on ps4, so many people are recommending different settings but nothing is working for me.
i'm using headphones plugged into the controller, can anyone please help?

dab0ne

Wait til the final boss fight. On Uber as well and I am definitely seeing the flaws now that I'm on the last boss fight.

Edit: No flaws just user error. Was actually pretty manageable when I pulled my head out of my ass.

Nemesis_

Wait til the final boss fight. On Uber as well and I am definitely seeing the flaws now that I'm on the last boss fight.

I didn't really have any issues with it. I thought it was obvious that playing it on Uber was meant to lengthen the battle considerably and make you alter your strategy.

Essentially, instead of just running to each of the cannons at the beginning, you had to make sure you had openings on the perimeter CLOSEST to each of the cannons so that you had less distance to cover.

I also had my Lazerkraftwerks fully upgraded so a fully charged shot would stun him for a long time. So essentially my battle was

Cut Fence #1 -> Stun Him -> Run To Cannon -> Kill Blimp -> Cut Fence #2 -> Stun Him -> Run To Cannon -> Kill Blimp -> Throw Grenades To Stun Him One More Time (as I would usually not have a chance to run back to recharge my LKW).

I just think that playing it on Uber made you have to think about how you were approaching things rather than just making a run for it. The second phase was just me unloading everything - I had no issues with that either. >_>

I was seriously dreading the final boss battle based on what I read here but once I got to it I think it was overhyped for me so I didn't really find it all that challenging, unfortunately.

antitrop

I have 3 Chapters left and I'll finish it this morning. I don't want the game to end, this is easily one of the best shooters I've ever played since I started with Wolf 3D.

MachineGames have more than earned my respect as game developers.

Nemesis_

I have 3 Chapters left and I'll finish it this morning. I don't want the game to end, this is easily one of the best shooters I've ever played, since I started with Wolf 3D.

MachineGames have more than earned my respect as game developers.

It's so bizarre. The game is so lengthy (in a good way) but it went by super quick for me. It's been rare since I've felt that way about a game. It's also been rare where I've had an all-nighter and either haven't grown bored or finished the game itself, lol.

Game is great so far, and the people that say it looks like shit are crazy but the sound is really broken, the voices are so quiet that i miss almost everything said.
downloaded the patch on ps4, so many people are recommending different settings but nothing is working for me.
i'm using headphones plugged into the controller, can anyone please help?

Yeah, just force your system to output Dolby Digital at the game level to make the sound mix normal again. Go into your system's audio options, bitstream the audio and deselect all codecs except for Dolby Digital.

So far everyone who has tried this method on consoles has reported success. Is the headphone jack on the controller different? I don't know the technical aspects of that audio jack.

It's so bizarre. The game is so lengthy (in a good way) but it went by super quick for me. It's been rare since I've felt that way about a game. It's also been rare where I've had an all-nighter and either haven't grown bored or finished the game itself, lol.

It's the game's pacing. Nothing ever lingers for too long, it never lets you get too overwhelmed or shell-shocked like a lot of other shooters leave me feeling.

dab0ne

I didn't really have any issues with it. I thought it was obvious that playing it on Uber was meant to lengthen the battle considerably and make you alter your strategy.

Essentially, instead of just running to each of the cannons at the beginning, you had to make sure you had openings on the perimeter CLOSEST to each of the cannons so that you had less distance to cover.

I also had my Lazerkraftwerks fully upgraded so a fully charged shot would stun him for a long time. So essentially my battle was

Cut Fence #1 -> Stun Him -> Run To Cannon -> Kill Blimp -> Cut Fence #2 -> Stun Him -> Run To Cannon -> Kill Blimp -> Throw Grenades To Stun Him One More Time (as I would usually not have a chance to run back to recharge my LKW).

I just think that playing it on Uber made you have to think about how you were approaching things rather than just making a run for it. The second phase was just me unloading everything - I had no issues with that either. >_>

I was seriously dreading the final boss battle based on what I read here but once I got to it I think it was overhyped for me so I didn't really find it all that challenging, unfortunately.

I'm talking about
the final final fight down in the boiler room I'm throwning everything I have at him. The only issuse is I cant fucking see him and he's auto aiming the shit out of me.

Nemesis_

I'm talking about
the final final fight down in the boiler room

I did it on my first try. What was meant to be hard? I will admit I was loaded up on everything so I just unloaded my grenades, rockets and fully charged LKW shots. But yeah, I guess I didn't let the battle go on long enough to become a nuisance?

And having full health upgrades (200) probably helped too.

Skyr

Playin on Xbone here.
I cant help it but the aiming/viewing feels really off for me.
It feels very unprecise and clunky.

Also the difference between vertical and horizontal Speed on default settings seems huge.

Anyone else feels the same?

Drewfonse

Loving this game!

One problem, my Foreign subtitles setting doesn't work and I missed the translation of the (seemingly important) conversation between BJ and Anya's father, right after the basement chainsaw sequence. So, I'm not really sure why I'm on my way to Berlin. Can someone please fill me in? Thanks!

dab0ne

I did it on my first try. What was meant to be hard? I will admit I was loaded up on everything so I just unloaded my grenades, rockets and fully charged LKW shots. But yeah, I guess I didn't let the battle go on long enough to become a nuisance?

And having full health upgrades (200) probably helped too.

Oh wow, I'm fucking stupid. Totally forgot about the
Ridiculous arsenal on the helipad before the fight below. I'm dumb

antitrop

Loving this game!

One problem, my Foreign subtitles setting doesn't work and I missed the translation of the (seemingly important) conversation between BJ and Anya's father, right after the basement chainsaw sequence. So, I'm not really sure why I'm on my way to Berlin. Can someone please fill me in? Thanks!

Basically, he just says if BJ lets any harm come to Anya, he will hunt BJ down and hurt him.

Nemesis_

Oh wow, I'm fucking stupid. Totally forgot about the
Ridiculous arsenal on the helipad before the fight below. I'm dumb

I assumed that was the only reason they let you walk around the area before you descended! So I just went for a walk and found everything. Haha.

I guess the game could kind of telegraph it to you a bit better though. I can imagine most players being in the heat of the moment and just wanting to drop down to finish off the fucker. :p

dab0ne

I assumed that was the only reason they let you walk around the area before you descended! So I just went for a walk and found everything. Haha.

I guess the game could kind of telegraph it to you a bit better though. I can imagine most players being in the heat of the moment and just wanting to drop down to finish off the fucker. :p

Busted boxes like crazy but totally forgot about that little tid bit. Was actually pretty easy after that.

swecide

Banned
I guess I've been the victim of a glitch?

Beat the game on
Fergus timeline, started a new game and choose Wyatt this time around. To my horror I noticed that the Fergus timeline is now empty, I can't select the missions I've beaten and what is eve worse.. I don't get anything from the armor upgrades, I max out at 100.
Very annoying.. I'm on the PS4 version.

Scotch

I guess I've been the victim of a glitch?

Beat the game on
Fergus timeline, started a new game and choose Wyatt this time around. To my horror I noticed that the Fergus timeline is now empty, I can't select the missions I've beaten and what is eve worse.. I don't get anything from the armor upgrades, I max out at 100.
Very annoying.. I'm on the PS4 version.

I'm sorry to say you should have started the Wyatt timeline in the chapter select screen. Starting a New Game will delete your progress basically. To be fair to you they don't point this out very clearly.

eshwaaz

I was just thinking this last night. "Wait, I'm on Chapter 11 already?! Noooo!!"

Top Bottom