• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Yikes, you guys and gals weren't kidding about this first chapter. Talk about a poor first impression, and this is coming from someone who loves The New Order.

Yep, its even worse than the first chapter in the main game. I must have died almost 15 times on the part with the 3 generators you have to switch off whilst the supersoldiers patrol. It's not like the game can't do fun stealth sections, but these were just terrible.
I don't know what possessed them to start either game in such a bad way, I assumed the main game start was locked in and they couldn't improve it later in development, but I guess not.

I still loved TNO though, so I'm sure now I'm out of the starting area things will be much better. In fact things picked up a bit towards the end of chapter one too.

dedhead54

True, the opening level in TNO was horrible, and made me think it was going to be a terrible COD clone.

The opening level in this is also horrible, but in a different way. If you could fight those things, fine, but having to spend the first Chapter sneaking around invincible robot guards is not fun for anyone. Seems really tone deaf. Time to Kicking Ass should be reduced by x1000. I'm getting irritated by it only because I want to play more right now.

You can fight them just fine if you stealth kill the first one and take his minigun. Shoot the rest right where the power cable attaches to their neck/head. Dead within a few seconds. I tried the stealth route 2 or 3 times then changed up my gameplan.

nOoblet16

The very first fight in the game is worse than any encounter in TNO as it throws an amazingly high number of enemies for first encounter in a cramped location with no covet and unlimited grenades. The only place where you have all the health packs available happens to be the place that has all the enemies on all sides and all levels...lol.

I'm at that robot man stealth section that comes next and it's amazing that they have so many of then bunched together all with a similar strategy to defeat. Can you even use those machine guns on these? I tried on one of them and barely managed to get rid of the lines attached to them, then tried it again on the second dude but nothing happened (first I shot the lines, then the head..then I died)

AkuMifune

Banned
You can fight them just fine if you stealth kill the first one and take his minigun. Shoot the rest right where the power cable attaches to their neck/head. Dead within a few seconds. I tried the stealth route 2 or 3 times then changed up my gameplan.

Huh. I tried that, took one bullet and died and just assumed they were invincible. Well at least I already knocked it out on Uber. It was a slog.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Grr, the weird audio bug that randomly lowers the overall sound here is back in full force again.

Otherwise its more of the same. I somehow missed the first profile in the prologue level too. There are apparently five on the chapter select, but while in-game it only shows 4 which I got all of.

Vidpixel

While true, I still found a majority of this chapter to be rather tedious and not really all that exciting or fun. To me, it felt like a sequence that maybe should have been placed in the middle of the game, not right at the start. Just struck me as odd from a pacing perspective.

I thought the beginning was just awful, but it definitely picks up and gets better. I am just starting Part 2. Is Part 2 as long as Part 1?

"You're a Frankfurter?"
"Eh, a hot dog..."

Minions%2Blaugh%2Banim.gif

The physical version is not getting released until the 15th... then it has to ship overseas to me.

Why am I reading this thread? What am I doing to myself?

I have worked my way up to Chapter 4 and when looking at each Chapter's collectibles it shows one character slot as being grey. However, when I am in the corresponding chapter and check the Character collectible slot, it shows "4/4" or however many there are for the Chapter.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Does anyone know if difficulty affects the Nightmare levels?
Yes, the difficulty you're playing on also affects the difficulty of the Nightmare levels. I am playing on Uber and the Nazis in the Nightmare level are doing about 25 damage per shot. It's really making me want to save the Nightmare levels for an Easy mode replay.

Hjod

Banned
The first two chapters were rough, really rough. I'm about four chapters in, and I'm loving it so far, it get's better. The shooting feels so good in this game. Worth the 22$ I payed for it, if you loved TNO, this feels like a must buy.

I didn't mind the first chapter. I'm at the third now and it's certainly better and more like TNO but the first chapter was still fun!

seph1roth

From the reviews, it seems that TOB is more open than TNO.

Is that true? What can you tell me about the challenge mode?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
This is a weird beginning for a standalone "halfgame" especially considering it's coming after TNO and sounds to be a prequel/more campy and less serious.

It's like they wanted to beat it into your head that you can stealth. In TNO I could firefight my way through the sections they obviously wanted me to stealth, but I had to keep trying for the first section where [you'll know when you get to it].

I am now starting Chapter 3 and it seems much better, with areas that are actually more open and winding than TNO. Reminds me of old school single player FPS map design.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't get the dislike for the first chapter, I thought it was awesome and a great start to the game. But then I loved the start of TNO as well. I'm just glad MachineGames do their own thing and ignore the people who complain about them.

Also, best line of the game so far chapter 3/chapter 4 spoiler

Killed your fuckin dog, Rudi

How are the visuals compared to TNO, Gaf? Noticeably better, or just the odd next gen'd texture here and there?

And is it more of the same? I felt TNO was quite overrated here, but it did have some great points.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How are the visuals compared to TNO, Gaf? Noticeably better, or just the odd next gen'd texture here and there?

And is it more of the same? I felt TNO was quite overrated here, but it did have some great points.
Noticeably better, particularly character models. There's subsurfsce scattering on skin, better eyes, sharper textures, added AF, better lighting, and less loading while still holding a locked 60.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So what's the consensus? 6ish hours long on hardest difficulty? Hmm, tempted to get this on PC now, but might wait to get it on PS4. Also, am I reading that graphics have been improved? Textures or overall?

The trailer for this looked cool and I've been craving a single player fps, New Order got good reviews so I hope it is, bought on PSN this evening.

aro52

I didn't mind it so much (only had to restart twice), but I will agree that throwing the "3 generators / 4 tank enemies section" right at the beginning wasn't exactly the best idea. Might lead to people, that preferred playing TNO guns-blazing, to quit for good. (Maybe if they made it more clear that those guys weren't invincible. I unloaded a magazine on one later on, and he didn't go down. Was even aiming towards the connection.)

I was more annoyed with the 2nd commander section. It seemed like there was no way to stealth it, and the game was forcing you to see what "alerting the commander" was like, after the easy first one.

nel e nel

Not sure if it's been posted but Amason is running a deal on this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXQBE8C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon said:
Bonus Offer: Save $15 on 'Wolfenstein: The New Order'
For a limited time only, customers who purchase 'Wolfenstein: The Old Blood' will get $15 off'Wolfenstein: The New Order'. Customers will receive their promotional credit via email code after the release of 'Wolfenstein: The Old Blood' on May 5th. The credit must be redeemed before 5/11/15. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this offer at any time. Offer only valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

I already played this on 360 but it was too good a deal to pass up and double dip for PS4.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The sound mix is again so piss poor it's insulting. I can't believe they didn't fix it.

I'm really hoping its an engine issue, because if it's their sound designer, they have absolutely no business having that job.

How could no one at the studio notice? I just don't understand.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not talking about the inexcusable "audio lowers/cuts out" bug. I'm talking about the overall sound mix on everything. When a super soldier opens up with a minigun 5 feet in front of you, tiny water drips hitting stone shouldn't be twice as loud.

Triz

First chapter and unable to climb the wall with the pipes. What am I doing wrong? Checked the tutorial and saw the commands but won't work in game.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
First chapter and unable to climb the wall with the pipes. What am I doing wrong? Checked the tutorial and saw the commands but won't work in game.

Press LMB+hold, press RMB+hold, release LMB, press LMB+hold, release RMB, press RMB+hold... etc....

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yup I did that won't even initialize the first pole into wall.

I think you have to hit some action button to get it started. On PS4 I have to hit square first then start climbing.

Press LMB+hold, press RMB+hold, release LMB, press LMB+hold, release RMB, press RMB+hold... etc....

I was trying to find a less confusing way to explain this..I couldnt. Good job...lol. I kept falling until I figured out I had to hold the button to hold on.

Fisty

People were complaining about the first chapter? I beat it on Uber fairly quickly, had a little bit of trouble with the last forced encounter until i pulled out dual ass rifles. Stealth is very easy

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The sound mix is again so piss poor it's insulting. I can't believe they didn't fix it.

I'm really hoping its an engine issue, because if it's their sound designer, they have absolutely no business having that job.

How could no one at the studio notice? I just don't understand.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not talking about the inexcusable "audio lowers/cuts out" bug. I'm talking about the overall sound mix on everything. When a super soldier opens up with a minigun 5 feet in front of you, tiny water drips hitting stone shouldn't be twice as loud.

I agree that the gunplay lacks punch due to awful sound mixing. Maldonado sound bug still sucks

MattyG

Banned
Not loving it as much as I'd hoped. I ADORED The New Order, but this just is missing something. Granted, I'm only in chapter 2 so that may change.

Also, it kind of runs like shit on my PC, even on low. Wish I'd gone with the PS4 version.

teokrazia

That was annoying. I kept trying to climb up the ladder and died alot.

I've tried, I think, 4/5 times.
It seems you legitimately can, but you can't.
The enemy suddenly reachs you and kills you, in some horrible glitchy ways.

Less glitchy, BTW, than the reach and damage of its regural attacks, capable of hit you also through walls.

I've concentrated my attention, also, on the two cars, several times, maybe because they were the key of some mandatory contextual ways of damage it. Without success.

Then I've lowered the level of difficulty and discovered that the bastard was actually damageable, and killed it easly, piece of cake, while at I'm Death Incarnate I thought it was invulnerable to regular weapons. ROTFL.

Best thing is that right after soldiers waves popped suddenly from nowhere.

Seriously, the poorest designed part of both TNO and TOB.

Just wanted to chime in that the game is still really funny while having pathos in some sections. Catching all the conversations is great. Helga is already more interesting than expected, with the call to Frank, the
romantic
letter, and about her
dad who died by suicide

On Uber, I'm dying quicker, and more enemies are in battles (which the devs mentioned in interviews). The stealth sections remind me quite a bit of Assault on Dark Athena, if you remember the robots from there. Anyway, loving it.
iN8iEv4S7UHjT.jpg

iISnI94AvZZMh.jpg

MattyG

Banned
Fuck. I fixed the stuttering, was having a great time, and it crashed right as I finished chapter 2! That's the second time now.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I think you have to hit some action button to get it started. On PS4 I have to hit square first then start climbing.

I was trying to find a less confusing way to explain this..I couldnt. Good job...lol. I kept falling until I figured out I had to hold the button to hold on.

I write technical documentation for part of my living...

I've spent hours trying to find the right words to explain navigating a graphical user interface. I've had training :p

Ricker

Well down to easy it goes for the section on rails on the boat to get out of the Castle...ridiculous,will bring it back to normal after...tried about 15 times now.

DirtyLarry

Well down to easy it goes for the section on rails on the boat to get out of the Castle...ridiculous,will bring it back to normal after...tried about 15 times now.
I was coming here to post about this very section. Not sure if you were unmounting the gun or not, but if you were, DO NOT. I kept unmounting it, but if you just mount it in place, meaning leave it as a turret, you have infinite bullets. It is 1000 times easier once you do this. Once I figured that out, did it in the first go.

I guess I just naturally hold down square too long.

So I am up to slightly past that part, just started Chapter 2, and not sure what the beef with the first Chapter 1 was at all. I love the game so far, but I loved The New Order as well.

How do you get past the "Big Fuckin' Dog" in this game? I can't for the life of me figure it out. Got to the second story where he keeps jumping up at me and can't figure out what to do from here.

How do you get past the "Big Fuckin' Dog" in this game? I can't for the life of me figure it out. Got to the second story where he keeps jumping up at me and can't figure out what to do from here.

Pick up the massive machine gun and shoot it, it dies in seconds.

Did none of you try fighting it?

Top Bottom