• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington |OT| An intersectional march for all in 600+ cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Columbus, OH

C2tFeBTW8AA97i6.jpg

UberTag

Yeah I turned on the TV to see some footage, and CNN is just ball washing the orange one...

WTF, They aint shit
I have to wonder how Anderson Cooper feels about CNN's election coverage the past couple days. My guess is "not good".

Incidentally, I'm right outside Queen's Park in Toronto right now. Our march kicks off in just over an hour.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
while I am very uneducated on the subject, I do not seem to remember such a massive international protest march, very nice to see.

RPGCrazied

while I am very uneducated on the subject, I do not seem to remember such a massive international protest march, very nice to see.

Look at who just became President. Of course there was going to be an enormous backlash. I know this isn't the main reason for this march, but it does include a lot of anti Trump people.

I met, and had many conversations yesterday with women who would be attending the march here in DC. As a man, it's not my place to tell a woman what to do with her body, and I believe in absolute equal rights for us both. The overwhelming majority of the women I met yesterday were all very positive, and accepting of me as a man and our differences. This made me feel good about things. Here's what didn't: I read this morning that pro-life women groups were barred from attending the march. Why? If nearly half of all women (according to polls) are pro-life, shouldn't they also have a say? Isn't this march about women, not women who have certain beliefs? Just curious.

fester

Banned

This picture is great and the replies to it are so damn infuriating. I don't even know where to start. It's as if people are willfully ignoring what the phrase "boys will be boys" means. No, I will not be raising my son to think it's OK for him to join a football team and sexually assault women because "boys will be boys" you fucking shitheads. And yes, he can be a "real man" (whatever the fuck that means) without acting like an asshole to others.

Arkeband

Banned
I met, and had many conversations yesterday with women who would be attending the march here in DC. As a man, it's not my place to tell a woman what to do with her body, and I believe in absolute equal rights for us both. The overwhelming majority of the women I met yesterday were all very positive, and accepting of me as a man and our differences. This made me feel good about things. Here's what didn't: I read this morning that pro-life women groups were barred from attending the march. Why? If nearly half of all women (according to polls) are pro-life, shouldn't they also have a say? Isn't this march about women, not women who have certain beliefs? Just curious.

For the umpteenth time, pro-life women are against their own freedom to choose. It's not uncommon for oppressed people to fall in line with religious ideology that they are born into, even if it harms them.

There are gay men who believe their sexual orientation is a sin, there are Muslim women who believe they need to be completely covered from head to toe. This is the opposite of freedom.

Heading out to the NYC march in an hour. Staggered start since they're expecting so many people so we'll be sorta in the middle. I'll post some shots when I get there.

https://www.womensmarch.com/principles/

REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS

We believe in Reproductive Freedom. We do not accept any federal, state or local rollbacks, cuts or restrictions on our ability to access quality reproductive healthcare services, birth control, HIV/AIDS care and prevention, or medically accurate sexuality education. This means open access to safe, legal, affordable abortion and birth control for all people, regardless of income, location or education.
They would be marching for something they are against. If they were coming to advocate for pro-life viewpoints (aka against women's rights), this isn't the place for that.

MUnited83

For you.

"Pro-life" groups are against women's rights.

You wanna let KKK attend marchs about racial equality?

Savitar

So great to see this.

THIS, this is what is needed more.

This sort of passion.

The stakes are big, the rights and freedoms of people.

For the umpteenth time, pro-life women are against their own freedom to choose. It's not uncommon for oppressed people to fall in line with religious ideology that they are born into, even if it harms them.

There are gay men who believe their sexual orientation is a sin, there are Muslim women who believe they need to be completely covered from head to toe. This is the opposite of freedom.

https://www.womensmarch.com/principles/

They would be marching for something they are against. If they were coming to advocate for pro-life viewpoints, this isn't the place for that.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

ferr

I see your point to an extent, but this is an anti-Trump march to most respects. If someone is pro-life, do you think that means that they are pro-sexist?

Volimar

I see your point to an extent, but this is an anti-Trump march to most respects. If someone is pro-life, do you think that means that they are pro-sexist?

It's more of a march against people (men especially) telling women who and what they are and what to do. Republicans are still trying to curtail women's rights with or without trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom