• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderbook: Book of Spells |OT|

Limanima

However, to expect that would be to miss the point entirely: it's essentially a digital babysitter. Any parent with Harry Potter-obsessed kids under the age of 12 and a PlayStation 3 will find it an absolute boon: you can park a bunch of kids in front of it and leave them to their own devices, safe in the knowledge that they should remain enthralled for at least an hour, and it won't be rotting their brains.

I want it!! NOW

Is there going to be one? They are not too big on ps3 games.

They QuickLook a lot of Kinect games, but Move titles? Hmm. And when there's a game that supports it optionally, they'll use the DualShock pretty much by default, I think. Even something like Okami HD.

Since embargo is close to being up, I'll post some impressions: It's pretty fucking cool.

Sadly I am ten times more interested in what is coming next year then Book of Spells. The game they are doing with Monobot looks absolutely mindblowingly cool, and if they pull off what they showed at the press event for Wonderbooks then they got something good going on.

The Disney partnership is going to either be great or terrible. I'm really skeptical about Walking With Dinosaurs since it looks like a Book of Spells re-skin, and I'm not really enjoying that game that much.

The potential for good and educational games for younger kids are there with Wonderbooks, I just which Sony had something better to come out of the gate with.

Since the beginning. Pretty sure 80 percent of their console quicklooks are on the 360.

Because 8 out of 10 times thats what PR sends to the press. I only ever get PS3 is I specifically ask for it, and it's available at the same time as 360 is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They QuickLook a lot of Kinect games, but Move titles? Hmm. And when there's a game that supports it optionally, they'll use the DualShock pretty much by default, I think. Even something like Okami HD.

how much of their kinect quicklooks is because they are genuinely interested in the game, vs making themselves look like idiots on screen (which presumably gets them views)

Carl

Really tempted to get this. I love Potter.

Seems SCEE are actually doing some decent marketing for this. Been plenty of ads on kids TV channels, and apparently they were talking about it on an ITV talk show thing this morning...

Go to their quick look page and just count how many of them are played on a ps3, how many of them are played on a 360. Facts are facts. There is no arguing about it.

If it's not Patrick then it most likely will not get QL'ed. But why would you want them to QL this? They'll just shit on it like every other motion game be it Wii, Kinect or Move.

SmithnCo

Go to their quick look page and just count how many of them are played on a ps3, how many of them are played on a 360. Facts are facts. There is no arguing about it.

PR sends them 360 copies a lot of the time. Why would they bother specifically playing a PS3 version of a multiplat game?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wired review.

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/11/book-of-spells/

I got to play the game at home after the launch party, and after going through a clearly explained setup process complicated only by my PS3 not being up-to-date I started playing. An hour later, I had to force myself to switch it off. Although the gameplay is hardly as complex and layered as the games I usually play, the Book of Spells experience is completely absorbing. I found myself forgetting that the book on my lap wasn’t actually what I could see on the screen and that I was holding a Move controller, not a wand. I wanted to do well and get the most house points I could.

The product seems to be all there from a novelty/fun/parent-appeal point of view, but I still wonder if Sony will follow through with the marketing. Apparently this was on breakfast TV in the UK this morning though, which I guess is something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only £22.99 on amazon for the basic set, so I ordered it. Make a good stocking filler for a Harry Potter obsessed daughter

only £22.99 on amazon for the basic set, so I ordered it. Make a good stocking filler for a Harry Potter obsessed daughter

She will love it. You should also look into "Diggs Nightcrawler" which is coming next year, made in collaboration with Monotbot, which are former Pixar dudes. The game looks amazing from what I saw last week at a press event.

gadwn

Kinda surprised that this is getting good scores, but it really do seem like a neat kids game. I hope that they get some success with it, Sony has had to many sales flops already this year. ^^

DemonNite

good to see a bunch of reviewers doing this properly and focusing on who this product is for...

congrats to my fellow colleagues :D

Where the hell is the ad campaign for this? I thought this was sony's biggest title for christmas. seems like a solid seller but sony probably doesn't trust in the demographic. as much as I love the core games, they need to be more marketable to casuals and kids

Carl

Where the hell is the ad campaign for this? I thought this was sony's biggest title for christmas. seems like a solid seller but sony probably doesn't trust in the demographic. as much as I love the core games, they need to be more marketable to casuals and kids

Marketing it well in the UK. Plenty of ads on kids TV channels, and they talked about it on breakfast TV.

If they want it to sell they should include a copy of Minecraft.

What? That's sad if true.

Audioboxer

The guy who demoed this for me at Eurogamer Expo was pretty awesome, knew his stuff even when I started asking about Diggs. Can't say that about many more of the Playstation staff who were either acting bored, didn't know their stuff or just seemed unfriendly. Well there was one other guy, he demoed When Vikings Attack, he was good as well.

Anyway, it was pretty fun to play, GF appreciated the Harry Potter side of things more than me. Seems like a decent go at virtual reality, will never sell like a Wii/360 product could, regardless of quality, but it should do okay. Move is ideal to be a wand, adds a little more interaction than Kinect could, but it's all about the marketing to sell to parents, not how good it actually plays.

Hanmik

iAkzjaWhhDNWl.JPG

lol

Top Bottom