• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderbook: Book of Spells |OT|

I've seen an ad for this on a local channel, and ads for video games are VERY rare here on these channels.

The only other ones I've seen were for Uncharted 3, Black Ops 2 and Nintendo 3DS.

Seems like Sony really wants to succeed here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
VG247 has an interesting article here, featuring early storyboard concepts from all the way back in 2005. The name back then was even the same.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/15/sony’s-wonderbook-happy-ever-after-or-cautionary-tale/

story-board-2.jpg

There are more of those early concept pics at the link.

tearsofash

Thinking about picking this up just so I'll have the book accessory. Bought a Pico a few years ago, so this is aligns right with my curiosities.

More importantly, is this an easy platinum?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how far away will it detect the book? I hated eyepet for how fussy it was about card placement, and it was much better when it was patched for move support.

I'd prefer not to have to sit really close to the TV with the camera pointed straight down - you end up craning your neck to see the TV. About 6-8ft away would be ideal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
VG247 has an interesting article here, featuring early storyboard concepts from all the way back in 2005. The name back then was even the same.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/15/sony’s-wonderbook-happy-ever-after-or-cautionary-tale/

story-board-2.jpg

There are more of those early concept pics at the link.

Yeah, Wonderbook started as an EyeToy project indeed and it was meant to be a "book-only" thing for the PS3 as well. Then they added Move to the mix.

You can watch the Wonderbook presentation I recorded at gamescom for more "making of" stuff. There is some cool prototyping footage in there which I believe was never seen before.

Wonderbook GamesCom 2012 Presentation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoQAP7jBBvc

The ttp iwaggle video actually is pretty engrossing. I spent 20 minutes just watching it and loved the tone and everything. Kinda want to buy it now after watching it.

Boom!

qYGjo.jpg

Actually quite enjoyed it, there isn't much 'game' to it but it was interesting and some of the side stories were entertaining. This is probably the best use of AR i've seen on the PS3, the fluidity of it compared to Eyepet etc is much better.

Looking forward to Diggs Nightcrawler and Walking with Dinosaurs.

how far away will it detect the book? I hated eyepet for how fussy it was about card placement, and it was much better when it was patched for move support.

I'd prefer not to have to sit really close to the TV with the camera pointed straight down - you end up craning your neck to see the TV. About 6-8ft away would be ideal.

You should be fine with that distance, the markers in the book are pretty large for the camera to pick up on. Certainly didn't feel like I was sitting on the TV to play it.

Tiamant

I've seen an ad for this on a local channel, and ads for video games are VERY rare here on these channels.

The only other ones I've seen were for Uncharted 3, Black Ops 2 and Nintendo 3DS.

Seems like Sony really wants to succeed here.

At least in my store this is selling... surprisingly well! Best move launch by far, not that this is an impressive feat, but anyway, lots of people asking for "that Harry Potter game".

Mario007

At least in my store this is selling... surprisingly well! Best move launch by far, not that this is an impressive feat, but anyway, lots of people asking for "that Harry Potter game".
What country do you work in? (sorry for the personal question, basically I expect this to sell in the UK but I am curious about sales in other countries)

Mario007

Spain, where the Pottermania hit reaaaaally hard too.
Oh thats very good. I guess Potter was very popular all across Europe. Should be fun seeing the PAL charts tomorrow. Plus Sony's marketing strategy for this thing is to keep advertising it till christmas so maybe they have actually found their gimmick to help them sell ps3.

Just out of curiousity, do you see much of the bundles (be it Move or 12GB PS3) being sold or is it just the game that is selling well?

Tiamant

Oh thats very good. I guess Potter was very popular all across Europe. Should be fun seeing the PAL charts tomorrow. Plus Sony's marketing strategy for this thing is to keep advertising it till christmas so maybe they have actually found their gimmick to help them sell ps3.

Just out of curiousity, do you see much of the bundles (be it Move or 12GB PS3) being sold or is it just the game that is selling well?

Not a single bundle sold (12gb really kills the deal) on the first day, lots of 40€ packs flying away and some 80€ too.

Sony is really pushing this, every store has recieved a huge exhibitor with a tv that explains how wonderbook works, and starting on Friday there will be promotors showing pottermore live in all stores.

Mario007

Not a single bundle sold (12gb really kills the deal) on the first day, lots of 40€ packs flying away and some 80€ too.

Sony is really pushing this, every store has recieved a huge exhibitor with a tv that explains how wonderbook works, and starting on Friday there will be promotors showing pottermore live in all stores.
Thats a bit of a shame about the bundles, but it's great to see Sony finally not botching up a launch of one of their products.

noobie

Banned

WOW.. so sony have a marketing team after all for PS3 games. :)
But really surprised although i m not expecting it to be in the top 10 of UK chart, in other countries also i dont think it will last more than a week... Sony have promised huge marketing for many games but i havent seen it working for them for one reason or the other.

Mario007

WOW.. so sony have a marketing team after all for PS3 games. :)
But really surprised although i m not expecting it to be in the top 10 of UK chart, in other countries also i dont think it will last more than a week... Sony have promised huge marketing for many games but i havent seen it working for them for one reason or the other.

The only real huge marketing campaign which Sony did, which can be said to rival that of other publishers, was Uncharted 3 last year.

noobie

Banned
Wonderbook has bombed big time in UK atleast..
i wander will the marketing going to help it in coming weeks or its done and over.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wonderbook has bombed big time in UK atleast..
i wander will the marketing going to help it in coming weeks or its done and over.

I'd give it christmas and see after that. This isn't exactly the 'run out and buy it day one' market that they're targeting.

noobie

Banned
I'd give it christmas and see after that. This isn't exactly the 'run out and buy it day one' market that they're targeting.

You are right.. but i have only seen this with Nintendo games that they have debutted way down and climbed up the charts.. but with PS3 games i have only seen them climbing down the chart.
So i will be amazed that if i see it above 30 in UK charts around x-mas weeks.. but that will definitely be very good for good for the game.

You are right.. but i have only seen this with Nintendo games that they have debutted way down and climbed up the charts.. but with PS3 games i have only seen them climbing down the chart.
So i will be amazed that if i see it above 30 in UK charts around x-mas weeks.. but that will definitely be very good for good for the game.

I'd actually like to see this game be successful I quite enjoyed it for what it was, and the price point was pretty decent £23 for the book and game, will be interesting to see the price of follow on games such as Diggs and WWD. I'd hate to see this thing die off quickly when it has so pretty good potential to it.

It'll be gone from the UK chart in a couple of weeks, but it'll be interesting to see how long it hangs around in European charts where the PS3 is much stronger.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'd actually like to see this game be successful I quite enjoyed it for what it was, and the price point was pretty decent £23 for the book and game, will be interesting to see the price of follow on games such as Diggs and WWD. I'd hate to see this thing die off quickly when it has so pretty good potential to it.

Diggs sounds quite cool actually as it makes a more meaningful use of the book gameplay-wise.

We haven't seen any gameplay yet, but I was given an example of what to expect:

Character has to sneak into a building from the roof but there is no way to get there, apparently.

The building is on the left page. On the right one, there is an electricity pole. Cable goes from pole to building but it's too high for the character to reach.

User has to rise the two opposing pages so that pole and building get closer to each other causing the cable connecting them to bend downwards so the character can grab it...

Carl

It'll be gone from the UK chart in a couple of weeks, but it'll be interesting to see how long it hangs around in European charts where the PS3 is much stronger.

I think it will be a steady seller in the UK. It has some placing on quite big TV programmes and lots of cinema advertising and kids TV channel advertising, so i reckon it will sell decently over time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it will be a steady seller in the UK. It has some placing on quite big TV programmes and lots of cinema advertising and kids TV channel advertising, so i reckon it will sell decently over time.

yeah. Mine is getting wrapped for my daughter for Christmas. I expect quite a few will be too, so perhaps there won't be the big day one sales like other titles. Plus it is surrounded by big hitters like BLOPS, its never going to do numbers like that.

Audioboxer

Boom!

qYGjo.jpg

Actually quite enjoyed it, there isn't much 'game' to it but it was interesting and some of the side stories were entertaining. This is probably the best use of AR i've seen on the PS3, the fluidity of it compared to Eyepet etc is much better.

Looking forward to Diggs Nightcrawler and Walking with Dinosaurs.

You should be fine with that distance, the markers in the book are pretty large for the camera to pick up on. Certainly didn't feel like I was sitting on the TV to play it.

Duuuude, I must know that TV model!

I see what you're saying, but put in perspective, it was handily beaten by Kinect Disneyland this week... and that's not a game that's ever done particularly well. We'll see after a few weeks of advertising though.

Audίoboxer;44510978 said:
Duuuude, I must know that TV model!

Hey Audio :) It's this one here

I got it after my ex went crazy and decided to tip my old (entry level) TV over causing cosmetic damage to the corner. After waiting 2 months for my insurance company to repair it they decided to write off the TV and offer me that as a replacement. Cost me £12 delivery!

I now have a 47" 3DTV in the bedroom as well :)

Joni

SingStar didn't even chart when it debuted.

tusken77

I watched this being streamed last night. I have to say it'll be brilliant for kids, I was very impressed. Seems to be quite a lengthy experience, too. Dan only played the first two chapters and the stream was nearly three hours long. Archived now...

http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming/b/341482394

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it held 1300 viewers' interest for two hours.

Any word on when that Walking with dinosaurs game is expected. I'm tempted to pick up book of spells to "boost" sales but I'd rather a dino package.

Any word on when that Walking with dinosaurs game is expected. I'm tempted to pick up book of spells to "boost" sales but I'd rather a dino package.

Late 2013 apparently.

As part of a recent interview, executive producer Dave Ranyard told Digital Spy that the game's progression and structure has yet to be laid out "because it's a year off release".

Source

Which makes me worry a bit as to WHEN the next Wonderbook game will be coming out, will it be Diggs or will some of the apparent Disney books come out before that?

leehom

I don't know when this was released, but it's $19.99 for the game/book or game/book/eyetoy/wand for $49 at gamestop right now.

Picked up the book/game...might play it sometime in the future. Trying to convince the wifey to try it.

noobie

Banned
Anyone have any numbers for how this did in the European charts?

It was around
48 in German Chart so ~ 2k
27 in UK chart so ~ 5k
18 on Finland PS3 chart so whole of Scandanavian ~ 1k

Rest of Europe ~ 2k.

So around ~10k for the first week is my guesstimate.

tusken77

I've noticed it being pushed quite hard here in the UK. There's just been two different Wonderbook adverts in one commercial break during Fred Claus on Channel 4.

The Lamp

You mean hyperboleGAF was kinda wrong about the game being an utter piece of crap? Kind of like how they wrote off PSASBR as being a piece of crap because of the E3 demo? You don't say? :p

I'm sure this game will be really fun for the younger ones. Didn't realize it had been out as long as it had though. Dat Sony marketing.

noobie

Banned

We will know the effect of those advertisements tomorrow.
So far it has been pretty dismal, but most of the time Sony has advertised after the launching of the Product instead of building the hype before the release of the game.

But still i m not convinced it will jump up in the chart tomorrow or stay in the top 40 chart of UK till the end of the year. If it does so, it will certainly be an achievement.

Top Bottom