• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderbook: Book of Spells |OT|

You can buy your kid a lot of real books for $80. Regardless, I guess it's something for that kid that already has everything (ie. My nephew).

Kinan

This looks much better than i was expecting, to be honest. My kids are still a bit too small for it though, maybe next year the oldest one will be fascinated by it, but now it will not hold his attention for long, because he has not yet been immersed into Harry Potter universe sufficiently.

Indeed, it's noticeable that a lot of things go unmentioned during the Book of Spells. None of the Harry Potter characters are mentioned by name, Hogwarts is only referenced obliquely and outside of the spells, there's actually very little to identify this as a product of Rowling's fictional world.

So thats why they didnt call the game Harry Potter's Wornderbook!
LOL
Seems that the game, little has about the Potter universe or Hogwarts itself, by what the review says. Rowliang only appears in the credit's thanks.
Its like they didnt want to really pay royalites for the the real universe things and characters, or EA didnt let them use it.

tusken77

Not a review, but an article and interview here on Book of Spells and what's next.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/11/13/wonderbook-sonys-big-hope-for-2012-and-beyond/

Also mentions Star Wars. =)

ca04leia-hologram-640.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seems that the game, little has about the Potter universe or Hogwarts itself, by what the review says. Rowliang only appears in the credit's thanks.

In fairness, I believe she did all the writing for it. It is part of the same Potter universe, albeit staged in the past so they could avoid using the characters of Harry Potter and embroil themselves in licensing issues. As you note, another pub has the video game rights for HP.

DemonNite

LOL
Its like they didnt want to really pay royalites for the the real universe things and characters, or EA didnt let them use it.

I believe according to the lore, this book was found 200 years or so before Harry Potter was even born. Something like that.

Joni

LOL

Yes, that is strange, why isn't Harry Potter mentionned in a book that was written 200 years ago? Miranda Goshawk itself is the link to the universe, like a Harry Potter would know.

Cornbread78

I wonder is there is a Wonderbook page in Facebook I can "Like" to stealth underground market for it. Looks pretty cool and really cool tech for the holidays....

I believe according to the lore, this book was found 200 years or so before Harry Potter was even born. Something like that.

Yes, that is strange, why isn't Harry Potter mentionned in a book that was written 200 years ago? Miranda Goshawk itself is the link to the universe, like a Harry Potter would know.

Well, then that review is wrong, for not saying it was 200 years before. Not my fault.
Or maybe... that was the excuse to not pay any royalties to use the harry potter name and characters!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"It's likely that even the most enthusiastic player unwrapping this on Christmas morning will have exhausted its charms by the time the turkey hits the table."

Anyone else find that a really weird sentence?

Anyone else find that a really weird sentence?

Americans eat Turkey traditionally for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes Ham but that is more reserved for Easter. Most times families will eat around 2pm instead of a later dinner so what he means is that it only has a few hours of entertainment before they will get bored of it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Baconsammy said:
Grammatically or for some other reason? It's a perfectly fine sentence.

Its the sort of grammar that only passes muster when checked by a machine. The placement of "even" is all wrong - it looks like he's made a sentence out of a fragment, as in it should have been a run-on starting ", it's even likely that..."

As it stands, it reads to me that he's really stretching to be as uncomplimentary as possible.

I don't like Dan's reviews generally though, so maybe I'm being harsh, but it scanned really weirdly when I read it on EG, and seeing it in isolation on here made me want to comment.

cakefoo

Its the sort of grammar that only passes muster when checked by a machine. The placement of "even" is all wrong - it looks like he's made a sentence out of a fragment, as in it should have been a run-on starting ", it's even likely that..."
It's fine, yours is horrible and changes the "even" into something that applies to the whole idea of something being likely, when it originally applied to the phrase "the most enthusiastic player."

As it stands, it reads to me that he's really stretching to be as uncomplimentary as possible.

I don't like Dan's reviews generally though, so maybe I'm being harsh, but it scanned really weirdly when I read it on EG, and seeing it in isolation on here made me want to comment.

It works fine grammatically, but he could have just as easily said, "It gets boring after 4 hours. Don't buy it. 5." and gotten his point across more clearly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MCV has a retailer supplement out for Wonderbook, which details the marketing plans for the UK.

http://content.yudu.com/A1zrgr/MCVb...ad/read-the-mcv-wonderbook-supplement/0106364

I think SCEA will probably be sending it out to die, but they seem to be making an effort in the UK. It looks like it'll be in and on quite a lot of mainstream magazines and TV programmes from now up to Christmas (Blue Peter, BBC News Round, Stephen Fry Gadget Man, CNN, Hello, OK, Sunday Times mag etc. etc.) along with the more usual kids tv/cinema and outdoor advertising.

Carl

MCV has a retailer supplement out for Wonderbook, which details the marketing plans for the UK.

http://content.yudu.com/A1zrgr/MCVb...ad/read-the-mcv-wonderbook-supplement/0106364

I think SCEA will probably be sending it out to die, but they seem to be making an effort in the UK. It looks like it'll be in and on quite a lot of mainstream magazines and TV programmes from now up to Christmas (Blue Peter, BBC News Round, Stephen Fry Gadget Man, CNN, Hello, OK, Sunday Times mag etc. etc.) along with the more usual kids tv/cinema and outdoor advertising.

Uhh wow that's pretty extensive. Good to see them trying.

Joni

I have seen it mentioned in a lot of retailer flyers leading up to the two biggest child holidays here in Belgium, so SCEE knows what is doing with this title. Doesn't surprise me considering SingStar and Buzz. They know how to market their casual games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
cakefoo said:
It's fine, yours is horrible and changes the "even" into something that applies to the whole idea of something being likely, when it originally applied to the phrase "the most enthusiastic player."

Erm, why use the qualification, "most enthusiastic player", in the first place if it applies to everyone?

Its just bad writing, and coming from the man who eulogized the writing in Braid, that should come as no surprise to anyone.

DBT85

So wait, despite all the crying, shouting, "FUCK WONDERBOOK" posts on Gaf since it was unveiled, it's actually getting positive reviews?

Who'da thunk it.

I have seen it mentioned in a lot of retailer flyers leading up to the two biggest child holidays here in Belgium, so SCEE knows what is doing with this title. Doesn't surprise me considering SingStar and Buzz. They know how to market their casual games.

On the whole, the majority of Playstation products only get pushed in PAL territories.

onQ123

Could Wonderbook be the most marketable PlayStation product of this Generation?

See I'm not as crazy as I seem to be whenever I make threads about my visions.

fernoca

So, yeah...
Will dedicate some more time when I'm free and in-between Black Ops II/Declassified and other games (during the weekend hopefully); but I liked what I tried.

Packaging is simple, Wonderbook is bigger than I thought (as seen in the box pic I posted above), there's no intruction booklet of any king but a digital manual that can be seen on the XMB. The inside art of the case/cover shows the Move controller and what it does; so I guess that serves as reference/instruciton booklet too.

It starts with you wit ha small install, setting up Move, camera and book, then you link your account to Pottermore (or not), then you take a picture/clip (i.e. animated picture ala Harry Potter) and choose to be in Gryffindor, etc. Then you're introduced to the Book of Spells and the "author" of it; as she starts to narrate how she wrote the book.

The only sucky thing is having to see my ugly face all the time on screen, but still cool.

Looks and feels ..verry Harry Potter; which I like.

Why did they read that disclaimer out loud? Sony advertising really is terrible, the ad didn't really give any clear idea of how it works

zroid

Banned
I don't completely hate this thing. I kinda want to try it, and I think $40 is a reasonable price, but yeah, I don't think I'll be paying more than 10 bucks for it. That's just me though.

Loudninja

Sony launches Wonderbook TV campaign
Sony has launched a multi-million pound TV advertising campaign to ensure Wonderbook: Book of Spells is firmly in the minds of consumers ahead of its arrival tomorrow.

The advert will air on Sunday 18th November during Surprise Surprise, on Monday 19th during I’m a Celebrity: Get Me Out of Here and on Friday 23rd November in a break during Loose Women.

The campaign is already in mid-flow; having begun last Friday during This Morning and continued over last weekend in during You’ve Been Framed and The X Factor.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-launches-wonderbook-tv-campaign/0106461

Oh, if foreign sites are also good.

Shameless plug:
Gamed.nl: 8/10
http://www.gamed.nl/view/101372
Thanks!

Mine just arrived from Newegg, I got it with the preorder code so $29.99 total. This was intended as an Xmas gift for my wife who is a big HP fan, but it's really hard for me to keep video game purchases secret from her because she's in the know with video game releases. If I try to hide this, she'll inevitably ask, "Hey, did we get the Wonderbook? It came out last week, I'll go pick it up if you didn't order it"

Not sure if she's going to fire it up right away, we're in the middle of playing other video games, but I'll post impressions once we do.

Top Bottom